Go on record: what does MB do with #3?

What does MB do with #3?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
I’m sure the genius voice inside your head is a much more reliable source than NHL GMs who are not allowed to talk on the record about others teams players but I’m sure you already knew that. Seriously. Please stop. This is embarrassing for you now.

You'll all see! NHL GM's will be fighting over each other because some anonymous GMs said they thought Pacioretty was still a good player! Things like age and contract status and previous playoff performance don't matter at all! I read a vague quote!

edit: omg, wait, was it a Friedman article?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I would never consider doing this. I'm afraid a desperate Marc Bergevin would consider doing something stupid like this if the opportunity presented itself to him. I was just wondering if there were any whispers out there yet that this is something MB would be thinking of maybe doing. If the whispers aren't out there I expect to see some twitter "insider" make one up soon enough. :)
Why would he trade a 3rd overall pick for a 30yr old declining forward. Makes no sense.

There’s literally 13yrs difference between the two......impossible this happens, let’s stop with the silliness,

Reactions: Runner77

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
You'll all see! NHL GM's will be fighting over each other because some anonymous GMs said they thought Pacioretty was still a good player! Things like age and contract status and previous playoff performance don't matter at all! I read a vague quote!

edit: omg, wait, was it a Friedman article?

Attachments

• 20DD3266-E675-43F2-8CC7-30D4B613832D.jpeg
    20DD3266-E675-43F2-8CC7-30D4B613832D.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 3

waffledave

waffledave, from hf
Aug 22, 2004
Montreal
Why would he trade a 3rd overall pick for a 30yr old declining forward. Makes no sense.

There’s literally 13yrs difference between the two......impossible this happens, let’s stop with the silliness,

Why does MB do anything that he does?

Because he's a shitty GM and he has no idea what he's doing.

"Impossible" that he lets go of Radulov AND Markov AND doesn't replace them with anyone AND goes into the season with $9 million in cap space AND doesn't use it, ever, for the entire year.

I was literally told the above was impossible, and guess what happened?

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Why does MB do anything that he does?

Because he's a ****ty GM and he has no idea what he's doing.

"Impossible" that he lets go of Radulov AND Markov AND doesn't replace them with anyone AND goes into the season with $9 million in cap space AND doesn't use it, ever, for the entire year.

I was literally told the above was impossible, and guess what happened?
Well, if he has no idea what he’s doing, then the Toews for the 3rd overall pick trade is all but complete and done.....

I’m sure he’s on the verge to giving Pacioretty a 8 yr extension at 9m$ per....cant wait for all of this to come to fruition so I can say you were right and I was wrong.

Dealing away a 3rd overall pick for a 30 year old is insane........having UFA’s leave for greener pastures is hardly in the category of impossibility.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Fair enough. I just have listened to most of Dundon's interviews and listened to most/all of Waddell's interviews as well as all the local media reports, etc.. There's a LOT more information in there than the little snippets McKenzie, Friedman and others blurt out and people overreact to. Your statement was that because he's a meddling owner and because he's already said "everyone but Aho is available for the right price", that it "prompts you to believe that name-type players moreso than building for the long term." That's the premise I am disagreeing with. I realize there are other factors you listed as well.

The other factors make a difference. Again, you're choosing to cherry pick the part about Dundon, but never did I state that Dundon alone was the deciding factor. I brought up several factors when taken as a whole, paint a picture. Of course, I didn't have the benefit of listening to all of Dundon's speeches and I defer to you on that. However, no matter what Dundon says, there are factors when taken together, open the door to certain interpretations -- whether they are founded or not remains to be seen.

Dundon specifically said in his end of season press conference that he wants to build a team that is competitive year in and year out, not make the playoffs 1 year. He said he's not going to dip into the high priced UFA market until he gets a team that shows it's competitive. There are more comments by Waddell as well.

These comments are reasonable and create confidence for a fan base. Nothing out of the ordinary there.

I agree he wants to be aggressive in turning this around, but I disagree that means it's trading young, promising guys for "name guys" that are older to do it for a short term gain, because that's opposite of what he and Waddell have stated. I'm not suggesting it can't happen, just that's not what they've been saying.

"Name guys" don't necessarily mean short term fixes. When a new owner wishes to make a statement in a market, it's not improbable for him to be looking to adding players that have name recognition. They don't need to be 33 years old either.

Yes, it's from Rumor board mainly, and other boards. I wasn't implying it was here on this board, but it's pretty rampant in many of the Hurricanes threads. Sorry if it came across that I was saying it was here on this board.

Thanks for that. The Rumor Forum in particular, is a thankless place. Why am I not surprised.

Friedman made a pretty good assessment of it IMO. Here's what he said a couple of days ago in this article. Friedman | Hurricanes may be willing to retain salary in trades Waddell has basically said the same thing a couple of different times.

“But look, I just think it’s Carolina’s way of telling people they’re open for business. I do think Skinner is going to get dealt. I think there’s a lot of interest in him. I’ve also heard that Carolina is willing to keep money on him if it’s going to make the deal even better. So I do think that there’s a lot of interest in Skinner.

The above begs the question -- how much latitude does Waddell really have? How much reliance will be placed on Dudley? How involved will Dundon be in the decision-making process and who will he be relying upon? The whole dynamic is what intrigues me as it's going to determine where the Canes are most likely to lean. Within the same ambit, would they be willing to deal or flip their 2nd OA for the right offer or is that completely off the table?

The one that’s interesting for me is Hanifin. I reported during the year that they were listening on him and obviously nothing happened. He’s an interesting one for me because I do think there would be a lot of interest. I think the price would be very high.

People take that to mean that all of these guys are getting traded. You simply don’t trade all of those guys. But I think it’s Carolina’s way of saying, ‘Give us a call, we want to hear what you’ve got to say.’

This is what "open for business" means to me. Just cause a team announces that everyone but player X is available, doesn't mean it's a firesale. Far too often, on some HF Forums, you're going to get scavenger-type replies which involve nothing but low-ball offers, including a condescending comment thrown in for good measure. Hanifin is a commodity that is going to receive a lot of interest -- I'm hoping our putzes are looking to make an offer that can get it done. What do you believe the asking might be on him?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Anyhow @Runner77 . Good conversation. I like having constructive discussions, even if there is disagreement, where people lay out why they think a certain way. None of us know for sure what will happen so it's fun to discuss different perspectives.

So sorry, I missed this post, I was too busy answering your previous one.

I really appreciate you taking the time to bring up a lot of interesting points with so much detail and perspective, it's been great.

Please feel free to chime in anytime, posters like yourself make this forum an appealing place.

Last edited:

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land

I guess you have far more confidence in Marc Bergevin than I do but I hope you're right. Trading a younger Norris trophy winning defenseman for an older what many considered a declining defenseman didn't make sense either but yet here we are. At this point I expect the worst from this GM and until he gives me a reason to expect otherwise I'll continue with this thought process.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
I guess you have far more confidence in Marc Bergevin than I do but I hope you're right. Trading a younger Norris trophy winning defenseman for an older what many considered a declining defenseman didn't make sense either but yet here we are. At this point I expect the worst from this GM and until he gives me a reason to expect otherwise I'll continue with this thought process.
I get it and don’t blame you......believe me, if bergy would do a Toews for 3rd overall pick, I’d lose it!!

He got burnt twice in these younger for older type deals, don’t think he does it again. People are suppose to learn from there mistakes, let’s see if he’s one of those people.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
I get it and don’t blame you......believe me, if bergy would do a Toews for 3rd overall pick, I’d lose it!!

He got burnt twice in these younger for older type deals, don’t think he does it again. People are suppose to learn from there mistakes, let’s see if he’s one of those people.
But MB doesn't see the mistakes we see, that's the problem. I say trade the pick for Toews were f****ed anyways, their is no hope for us for a long time.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
But MB doesn't see the mistakes we see, that's the problem. I say trade the pick for Toews were f****ed anyways, their is no hope for us for a long time.
The revealer will be draft day......and my allegiance and hope and belief in Bergy lies with this summer.......draft well, get us a centre or two, and fix the effin LHD 1st pairing goat f***

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The revealer will be draft day......and my allegiance and hope and belief in Bergy lies with this summer.......draft well, get us a centre or two, and fix the effin LHD 1st pairing goat ****

Do you think he'll do that all in one summer? I don't even think the league's best GM could pull that off in such a short time.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
:laugh:

You're probably right......but, I will let it play out, it's **** or get off the pot time for Bergevin.

You're normally a very patient guy when it comes to Habs management. If you're setting the bar so high, it means you've reached the end of your rope. Good to see, I don't think too many of us would have given him as much leeway.

Cobra Commander

Sep 30, 2017
Bell Center
:laugh:......there's a good chance.......but as long as we draft Zadina or Wahlstrom, I'll be happy, more with the aforementioned.

Oh, and get a good return for pacioretty
You'll be happy to draft Zadina, but why? He won't make a difference next season and they will most likely ruin his development. Why are you expecting to be happy about next season? We need to really lower our expectations with this 3OA pick.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad