Post-Game Talk: Go Green

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
Both Mrazek and Howard have been letting in softies. They need to cut that **** out.

Wings should have won this game decisively. Mrazek scoring on himself changed the game negatively for Detroit.

Time to stop blaming the goalies! This team is bad, Our best player is a 19yr old kid. Lets call it Pav and Z are done, Nick was never going to be a number one. The kids brought in are not pulling their part. Things look bad.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
Both Mrazek and Howard have been letting in softies. They need to cut that **** out.

Wings should have won this game decisively. Mrazek scoring on himself changed the game negatively for Detroit.

Lets be honest that was goalie interference. Now that I am done sports raging the truth is they played 4 games in 6 nights. Looked gassed and the blown call changed momentum.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
:(

At least we beat everyone in the big 10... And we still have a solid basketball team?
And hockey team

Looks like that's all they got though. Extremely Lucky this year and it just ran out

Injuries can't be used as an excuse those guys that came in played great and their offense got 0

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Lets be honest that was goalie interference. Now that I am done sports raging the truth is they played 4 games in 6 nights. Looked gassed and the blown call changed momentum.

Can't really keep saying that this is the grind of the season now alittle break in February but not really. It will always be like 4 games in 6 or 7 nights

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
Time to stop blaming the goalies! This team is bad, Our best player is a 19yr old kid. Lets call it Pav and Z are done, Nick was never going to be a number one. The kids brought in are not pulling their part. Things look bad.

You're screaming to the choir. There are many here who for years have been stating how middling and mediocre the Wings are, a discussion I'm starting to understand. This is closer to the truth than "the team is bad". When we're on a 13 game point streak and 1 game from leading the division we're the cat's meow and HF is gushing. Pavel and Zetter still show flashes of genius, Tatar and Nyquist have been 2 of the hottest players in the NHL last seasons and can score goals. It will take more than a bad 3 game losing skid to lose all faith that this team can play winning hockey. We've had some convincing wins this season. I do agree about blaming the goalies. Our players are terrible at blocking shots and we allow opponents to roam right in the slot. Penguins did the opposite by keeping the Wings to the outside and blocking numerous pass and shot attempts.

Pittsburgh is a fast team. The game began with a quick pace and they continued to have bursts of speed into the 2nd period while the Wings started looking flat. People thinking the Wings weren't trying...oh I wish you were right. The scary truth is they played their hearts out and this is what we get!

Goalie guy

Jul 8, 2011
Taylor MI
You're screaming to the choir. There are many here who for years have been stating how middling and mediocre the Wings are, a discussion I'm starting to understand. This is closer to the truth than "the team is bad". When we're on a 13 game point streak and 1 game from leading the division we're the cat's meow and HF is gushing. Pavel and Zetter still show flashes of genius, Tatar and Nyquist have been 2 of the hottest players in the NHL last seasons and can score goals. It will take more than a bad 3 game losing skid to lose all faith that this team can play winning hockey. We've had some convincing wins this season. I do agree about blaming the goalies. Our players are terrible at blocking shots and we allow opponents to roam right in the slot. Penguins did the opposite by keeping the Wings to the outside and blocking numerous pass and shot attempts.

Pittsburgh is a fast team. The game began with a quick pace and they continued to have bursts of speed into the 2nd period while the Wings started looking flat. People thinking the Wings weren't trying...oh I wish you were right. The scary truth is they played their hearts out and this is what we get!

This is my point, They are trying it's just not good enough. It suck's that I feel this way, But it's so close in points soon we will be out side looking in. Maybe that's what it will take to open some eyes? We need a true number one D in a bad bad way, Now who or how I don't know.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006

Tatar and Nyquist have me shaking my head. They are just not getting the job done and have regressed.
Played their hearts out? not even close. The play that sticks out to me is krowall was waiting for the puck to glide over to his stick and a penguin skated around him and took it. That is not playing your heart out.

HIFE

May 10, 2011
Detroit, MI
This is my point, They are trying it's just not good enough. It suck's that I feel this way, But it's so close in points soon we will be out side looking in. Maybe that's what it will take to open some eyes? We need a true number one D in a bad bad way, Now who or how I don't know.

I hear you and ATM you're not alone. The race is already so tight it's a pure guess if the Wings even make the PO's. It would be a shock to some (like myself) and would be a good thing to wake up as you say, and probably force changes. But- we could just as easily see the Wings have a respectable 2nd 1/2 of the season and into the PO's, they're so up and down who knows? For seasons we hear doubters exclaim the Wings won't make it in at the last stretch and they pull through every time. I guess I'm one of the fools that becomes attached to every player that don's the winged wheel and I want to keep the streak alive. I'm open to change but admit I don't have the answers to what could improve our chances of winning the Cup.

Ezekial

Cheap Pizza, Okay Hockey
Sponsor
Nov 22, 2015
Chicago
I'm definitely on the boat that's still floating. This team is at it's lowest potential right now and definitely can play up to it's true potential. Pav isn't done, if you watch him play you see it, no it isn't circa 2008 Pavel Datsyuk and you shouldn't expect that. Larkin is a great player and Tats and Nyquist aren't players who are going to consistently put up a combined 5 points in 11 games, they aren't 80 point players but they're solid. Honestly the 21-15-14 line doesn't play to each others strengths not 21-14 anyway - too soft.
Blash really needs too shake them up, but I'm not ready to say Blash isn't the answer or can't be the Red Wings coach for the next 10 years. I put more on the players right now, they just aren't clicking as they should be. This isn't a linear sport, teams can get it together, look at Ottawa and Minnesota last season. Look at Montreal right now compared to early on. **** happens, I feel this is a strong locker room and I think there's some potential there. It isn't time to jump yet, there's plenty of hockey left.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway
Three absolutely terrible efforts in a row. It's a long season, but stretches like these make me scratch my head and wonder how a professional athlete can lack the drive to compete. It's your ****ing job ....
In other words you wonder why not all 30 teams have 82 wins and 0 losses.

On December 31st last season the Wings record was 19-9-9 with 47 points.
Your point?
Caps have 56, NYI 47, and everybody else less than 47.

Hey guys! Are we talking about how bad the goaltending was? Or...?

Oh it was Mrazek Christ. Guess it was all on the defense this time then.

4 goals on 30+ shots. And 8 goals on 20 shots.

14ari13

Oct 19, 2006
Norway

That goal was goalie interference.

Last edited by a moderator:

joe89

Apr 30, 2009
Somewhere along the halfway point they forgot how to play.

I'm sorry people, we'll continue to have these post-game threads as long as Datsyuk and Zetterberg aren't producing up to scratch. That's the $7.5M & $6M forward and by far the highest paid ones no matter how old they are getting. They were massively outplayed by Pittsburgh's ditos. The rest is just the smaller picture.

Probie

Feb 19, 2009
Vancouver Is, Canada
I've been behind Blash all season, but his reluctance to mix up the lines lately has been extremely frustrating. They're just not working.

Powerplay needs a complete overhaul.

I havent been on the blahs boat all year, but he hasnt been terrible. I do agree he needed to change the lines a long time ago. Wtf? The dats line is brutal. Put tats on it. Babcock would switch the lines too often, blash is the exact opposite.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist should be broke down. Line won't work at all. I can't understand where did they lost their good chemistries earlier on the season.

My basic plan at summer was to build three lines for Zetterberg-Dats-Richards center core and I still think it's the best plan on theory this team can put on the ice.

Abdelkader - Zeta - Nyquist/Tatar/Pulkkinen
Sheahan - Datsyuk - Nyquist/Tatar/Pulkkinen
Larkin - Richards - Nyquist/Tatar/Pulkkinen

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
As for the game and state of the team, I fear our best players simply aren't good enough anymore when it comes to taking it to the next level. Kronwall simply isn't a good player right now, Z looks 50 and is often unnoticeable, and Datsyuk is slow and weak and can't maintain high levels of play long enough.

Our young guns are nice depth pieces at the moment, but at the end of the day your best players have to be dominant if you want contend for a Cup. Ours aren't dominant anymore.

Our best hope is that Mrazek can go on a run and the forwards are all on at the same time.

Blashill's unwillingness to get more creative with the lines is becoming frustrating.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actual Thought*

There's no shame in bringing outside consulting. Everyone does it in every industry. Adam Oates makes the rounds throughout the league. That's how he makes money when he doesn't have a full-time gig.

He worked with Ryan Suter and Zach Parise in the offseason to work on their power play, unless you also think it's absurd that players making over $100 million can't work a power play by themselves.

http://www.foxsports.com/nhl/story/...arise-ryan-suter-adam-oates-power-play-091515

Also Stamkos brought Oates in for consulting earlier this season.

http://www.tampabay.com/sports/hock...and-lightning-needs-it-more-than-ever/2255305

As did Scott Gomez this offseason.

http://www.nj.com/devils/index.ssf/2015/11/scott_gomez.html#incart_river

No I don't think individual players can work a PP by themselves. Played correctly a PP unit has 5 players involved which is where coaching comes in. It is the coaches job to design a scheme and get the players to buy in and execute that scheme to positive results. Our coaching staff hasn't been capable of doing their job. That is far different than individual players working with other great players who came before them to improve their game. Not even comparable. Now if Suter said "I need Oates to come in and play the PP because I can't seem to get it done" that would be comparable.

HisNoodliness

The Karate Kid and ASP Kai
Jun 29, 2014
Toronto
That goal was goalie interference.

Yeah the first goal should have been disallowed...that's the league trying to prevent a blowout they prefer competitive hockey and thus anytime it's a 2-0 game you know that the league will make it 2-1 especially if we're talking about Pittsburgh Chicago Montreal etc. When the game was closer and Hornqvist did the same exact thing they disallowed it (yay for consistency). At least they got the call right once.

The second goal wasn't Mrazek's fault nor was the third. Both were great offensive plays by good players that were insufficiently covered by the D. No goalie stops that Crosby shot...especially with your own D blocking any angle of seeing it.

However Malkin's goal I think Mrazek should have had. It was pretty stoppable and at a time when we needed a save. I'd still say Mrazek was good yesterday. Not great but good. He only let in one goal I really fault him for and that's how the cookie crumbles.

Actual Thought*

I'm glad we know that Blashill is going to be a nothing coach all of 38 games into his rookie season.

It's not like any head coach that had a subpar rookie campaign ever went on to turn into a legend.

Oh wait.

http://www.hockey-reference.com/coaches/bowmasc99c.html

There is that guy.

You just compared a hockey genius who mentored under Toe Blake to a green pea who has only had success coaching kids. I don't really see the comparison between the two.

silkyjohnson50

Jan 10, 2007
This is two coaches now who have shown no creativity with the lines, anyone want to guess the reason for this?

Maybe creative wasn't the right word. Blashill simply isn't making any significant changes. At all. Guess who's playing together next game? Datsyuk-Richards-Helm!

I liked what Babs did with the lines last year for the most part. My biggest issue with Babs most of the time was when he'd make a change, he'd give it 2 seconds before he went right back to what we already knew was a problem.

Detroit has enough depth to shuffle lines to try to spark things, so it's not the personnel issue that you're clearly attempting to make it in another (shocking) way to bash Holland.

Eggberto

Oct 26, 2013
You just compared a hockey genius who mentored under Toe Blake to a green pea who has only had success coaching kids. I don't really see the comparison between the two.

Blash has had success at every level he's coached and he spent time being mentored by Babcock, who some currently believe is the best coach in the NHL today. Seems comparable.

The point is you are projecting how Blash's entire career will play out based upon less than half of his first season as a regular NHL coach. Seems a little premature.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
Yeah the first goal should have been disallowed...that's the league trying to prevent a blowout they prefer competitive hockey and thus anytime it's a 2-0 game you know that the league will make it 2-1 especially if we're talking about Pittsburgh Chicago Montreal etc. When the game was closer and Hornqvist did the same exact thing they disallowed it (yay for consistency). At least they got the call right once.

The second goal wasn't Mrazek's fault nor was the third. Both were great offensive plays by good players that were insufficiently covered by the D. No goalie stops that Crosby shot...especially with your own D blocking any angle of seeing it.

However Malkin's goal I think Mrazek should have had. It was pretty stoppable and at a time when we needed a save. I'd still say Mrazek was good yesterday. Not great but good. He only let in one goal I really fault him for and that's how the cookie crumbles.

One goal should have been disallowed, a couple goals were just really good plays that aren't the goalie's fault, one goal the goalie should have had.

This story reminds me of every time Howard ever gets lit up.

But then everyone just goes with "I wish Howard would steal a game once in a while".

Aug 6, 2012
Have to start stacking lines. Try Larkin with Datsyuk. Keep Helm/Richards away from Z and Dats. Maybe change up the Abby-Z combination which has been mediocre at best.

Blash is being way too patient.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $2,300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA
    Wagers: 4