Post-Game Talk: Go Green

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
I will answer that when you tell me with your precise understanding of roster construction who is going to win the cup this year.

Chicago or Los Angeles. Maybe Dallas if they make a move at the TDL to shore up the defense.

I know for a fact Detroit won't win the cup. Their defense is abysmal, just like it has been since Lidstrom retired.

Actual Thought*

Chicago or Los Angeles. Maybe Dallas if they make a move at the TDL to shore up the defense.

I know for a fact Detroit won't win the cup. Their defense is abysmal, just like it has been since Lidstrom retired.

I agree Detroit won't win it because they won't make the playoffs. Holland is a great GM but made a mistake hiring Blashill. Nobody is perfect.

Electric Eric

#91 To the Rafters!
Feb 10, 2014
Portland -> Netherlands
If I was forced to promote from within I would have probably promoted Granato. I suspect he will be the interim when Blashill gets fired.
Granato's last season with Colorado was horrid. He's not head coach material.

I agree Detroit won't win it because they won't make the playoffs. Holland is a great GM but made a mistake hiring Blashill. Nobody is perfect.
Yes that's the mistake that will keep the Wings from winning the cup. Just the wrong coach. :handclap:

Mort Divine

Jun 12, 2012
Fargo, ND
Blashill is not the problem with this team. Holland refusing for years to address the defensive needs of this team is.

Signing Green was nice, but a little late.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
First I would have tried harder to keep Babcock. I wouldn't have gotten outbid by 30 million. I was never delusional enough to think Blashill was going to be an upgrade as many here clamored on about all last season. I never believed he was going to be this amazing fresh voice that was going to grant rebirth to Kindl, Smith, Jurco, ect... I never for a minute thought we needed a players coach and an offence first system and I never believed Babcock was holding back our prospects. If I was forced to promote from within I would have probably promoted Granato. I suspect he will be the interim when Blashill gets fired.

granato is beyond horrible HC. i'd bet under on 35 points if he had been HC this whole time. holland should be fired immediately if he promotes granato.

we also don't have offense first system.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA

Holland is a terrible GM. He has so many bad GM traits that have hurt this team. He has let talent walk without trying to trade them for assets (Filpulla, Hudler, etc), he has traded assets that he said he wouldn't for plugs (Jarnkrok, Janmark, draft picks, etc), he has overpaid middling players (Abdelkader and Howard). All and all he has done next to nothing to prepare this team to content today or in the near future.

aar000n

Oct 16, 2006
It was a good goal. It should have counted and it did. The NHL got it right.

I am so sick of everyone crying about goalie interference on the most minor of things. Goals are down, the league in general is turning soft... it's becoming too soft for my liking. Let them play!

If goals are going down, then I want physical and gritty / mean plays going up; I want more havoc in front of the net.

I'm so glad NHL got it right.

that goal was goalie interference. Physical contact with the goalie is not allowed. So much the have part of the rule set apart to have exceptions if the defense causes the contact. This is right off the NHL website "If an attacking player initiates contact with a goalkeeper, incidental or otherwise, while the goalkeeper is in his goal crease, and a goal is scored, the goal will be disallowed. If deemed a penalty it shall be deemed "no goal, penalty."In other words you can push the goalie back then hold the goalies stick to insure the puck is not covered. See later goal disallowed.

Larkin touching the puck for the too many men penalty was one of the more bull **** calls I have seen all year. I can think of 5-6 games where the Wings opponents did the same thing but no call.
What amazes me is people thing the Wings are trying. As a whole the Wings lazy passes their lazy no look passes keep getting picked off. The same lazy passes are never hustled for you never see a wing going towards the puck instead they wait. The last 45 seconds of Winnipeg they all stood around as the puck was pinned against the board. I guess thats just "age". Sorry the last couple games were hard to watch because they have no competitive fire.

Actual Thought*

Holland is a terrible GM. He has so many bad GM traits that have hurt this team. He has let talent walk without trying to trade them for assets (Filpulla, Hudler, etc), he has traded assets that he said he wouldn't for plugs (Jarnkrok, Janmark, draft picks, etc), he has overpaid middling players (Abdelkader and Howard). All and all he has done next to nothing to prepare this team to content today or in the near future.
Holland is a terrible gm might be the most ill informed statement ever on a forum rife with ill informed statements. Congrats.

Actual Thought*

you might be the only person in the world with that opinion.
No just the only person posting here where hockey is a game of individuals as opposed to a team game. You know the place where a 4 time cup winning gm is an idiot.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
You know the place where a 4 time cup winning gm is an idiot.

A minority opinion. The vast majority finds Holland to be an above average GM with strengths and weaknesses.

It's a good forum reminder not to confuse a squeaky wheel as symptomatic for the entire car.

Actual Thought*

then it surely won't be that hard to list people who agree with you that granato is HC material and better than blashill.
I am not sure what you're talking about but I don't know A single person outside of hfboards that thinks Blashill is a good coach and Holland is a terrible gm.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
I am not sure what you're talking about but I don't know A single person outside of hfboards that thinks Blashill is a good coach and Holland is a terrible gm.

well i didn't say holland is a terrible GM. track record is arguably the best of current guys but recent track record (past 5 seasons) maybe has him around average. which i personally don't think it's that great considering how many stupid GMs there are. or at least how many of them make stupid decisions.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
well i didn't say holland is a terrible GM. track record is arguably the best of current guys but recent track record (past 5 seasons) maybe has him around average. which i personally don't think it's that great considering how many stupid GMs there are. or at least how many of them make stupid decisions.

Holland's hands are tired when you have an owner that has expectations of keeping the playoff streak alive. After Lidstrom retired, who knows if Holland would have had a Chicago like firesale and tanked for a couple seasons for picks.

It seems apparent the Illitch's want balance; make playoffs, compete and rebuild on the fly. In that order.

If your boss, the guy that signs your paychecks has demands, then you better sure do exactly what he wants. I think that is exactly what Ken Holland is doing.

People keep forgetting how important that playoff streak is for ownership... especially considering they are having a brand new $627 million area built.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON
Oh no we lost a few games in a row. In spectacular fashion.

All I hear is Wah Wah Wah... Why isnt our team the best of all the teams in the world.

Its Hollands Fault, and Blashills.... oh and all those stupid players that suck.

Wah Wah Wah.

So Which Team should we follow guys? Lets pick a new one... The BEST one.

But... which team is the best one??? (honest question)... does it have an answer?

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
Most people I know that are Wings fans think both Blashill and Holland are good. :dunno:

I will say of the friends I do have on the fence, more are on the fence about Blashill than Holland but the detractors are pretty few and far between for either guy in terms of the friends I have that are a fan of the team and don't post around here.

Maybe by in large they don't feel the need to have polarizing opinions or what have you...:laugh:

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
Holland's hands are tired when you have an owner that has expectations of keeping the playoff streak alive. After Lidstrom retired, who knows if Holland would have had a Chicago like firesale and tanked for a couple seasons for picks.

It seems apparent the Illitch's want balance; make playoffs, compete and rebuild on the fly. In that order.

If your boss, the guy that signs your paychecks has demands, then you better sure do exactly what he wants. I think that is exactly what Ken Holland is doing.

People keep forgetting how important that playoff streak is for ownership... especially considering they are having a brand new $627 million area built.

i don't think it's in holland's DNA to tank.

i do agree that illitche's want to keep the team competitive. even first round loss means a lot of money. and having a good team is easier to sell with that new arena for sure.

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
Oh no we lost a few games in a row. In spectacular fashion.

All I hear is Wah Wah Wah... Why isnt our team the best of all the teams in the world.

Its Hollands Fault, and Blashills.... oh and all those stupid players that suck.

Wah Wah Wah.

So Which Team should we follow guys? Lets pick a new one... The BEST one.

But... which team is the best one??? (honest question)... does it have an answer?

None. Chicago is the best or la. And they could still be beat that's sad lol. Not that hard to beat them either. Unless ur stl or min

WingedWheel1987

Jan 11, 2011
GPP Michigan
None. Chicago is the best or la. And they could still be beat that's sad lol. Not that hard to beat them either. Unless ur stl or min

I don't know how you can say "it's not that hard to beat either team" when five out of the last six cups have been won by those two teams.

It sure looks pretty hard to me.

InjuredChoker

Dec 25, 2011
LTIR or golf course
only teams to beat during their their current playoff streak are the kings, '12 yotes, '11 nucks and 09 wings. nothing needs to be said about the kings and and '09 wings. '11 nucks were one of the best teams to not win the cup. '12 against yotes was really weird series. all those OT games. crawford crapping the bed. smith standing on his head.

i think their run will end fairly soon though. some of their core guys are out of their prime soon and/or getting paid fair market value or even more (seabrook).

SpookyTsuki

Dec 3, 2014
I don't know how you can say "it's not that hard to beat either team" when five out of the last six cups have been won by those two teams.

It sure looks pretty hard to me.

well it's not hard when you all you face is teams that choke

Minnesota,St. Louis, any pacific team not named la.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad