Post-Game Talk: [GM80] Canucks lose to Kings | 0-3

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Except it doesn't usually happen that way. Almost all captains take discounts out of good will. Being a captain of an NHL franchise is a dream for some players, and very meaningful. Disparaging the honour because you are a salt lamp isn't really useful analysis.
I think this captain discount is purely North American thing.

In europe usually its more that the players select who their leader is not that it is something players gun for and take less money to get.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Most players don't outright come out and say "I want to be captain" because then it sets up a media storyline that they will be upset if they aren't, or that they're demanding the captaincy in negotiation. They are always dodgy about the question, or provide a milquetoast ("the captaincy is an honour and whoever wears it will wear it with pride")
Disagree..Petey is the wrong guy to be trotted out after losses..Can be prickly..and then there’s the language,where he can’t fully express himself..Fortunately,Petey is self aware ,and knows this.

The next captain of the Canucks is going to be Quinn Hughes.

Reactions: Nomobo

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
This team really needs another goal scoring winger, it's Kuzmenko and a sea of muffins.

One of Hogs and Podz really need to step up next season, hopefully LMaki as well starts tracking.

i think people confuse 'the canucks spend a lot of money at wing' with 'the canucks are strong at wing'

they only have one real top 6 winger imo (kuzmenko). playing miller at center means that after kuzmenko the best wingers on the roster are mikheyev, boeser, garland and beauvillier and none of those guys should be on a top line. mikheyev and beauvillier/garland is okay as a second line but it's definitely not strong. the drop off to the third line is awful

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
i think people confuse 'the canucks spend a lot of money at wing' with 'the canucks are strong at wing'

they only have one real top 6 winger imo (kuzmenko). playing miller at center means that after kuzmenko the best wingers on the roster are mikheyev, boeser, garland and beauvillier and none of those guys should be on a top line. mikheyev and beauvillier/garland is okay as a second line but it's definitely not strong. the drop off to the third line is awful

For the most part I agree, but I think it is always about finding pairs, and then finding a fit for those two. So while Beauvillier may not be a top line winger, if he fits well with Kuze and Petey, then he does end up being that (not that I think he does or is a top line winger).

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Yup. This team is still miles way from being above average at 5v5 over a full season. There's a reason why teams like the Kings and Flames just absolutely smother the Canucks at 5v5, their two-way hockey sense up and down the lineup is just at another level compared to the Canucks. And these aren't even SC favs we're talking about here.
sigh

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad