Post-Game Talk: [GM80] Canucks lose to Kings | 0-3

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
It doesn't only because I think we will see a lot more like that. This is the new norm for a top 5 centre.

It just highlights how bad it was of Benning to not lock him and Hughes up Long term when we had the chance.

yeah if they'd gone 8 years two seasons ago i think they could have got him done at 9 or maybe even less. benning and his need to spend to the cap on useless veterans really screwed things up

Off a 60 goal and 110 point season, and buying an extra UFA year. Not scared of that comp at all - it puts Pettersson at 10.5 to 11 which is fair.

center vs winger. pastrnak was likely motivated to stay in boston. not clear pettersson has any incentive to give up money to help vancouver given how things have gone here

Reactions: Indiana

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Just gotta hope this is the norm moving forward. I’d say Point and Barkov are the best comparable but they play in Florida. You could always wait to sign him till next offseason but that’s a slippery slope.
Point is a good one. Barzal would have been had he not played in NY with a hack offensive team and getting hurt.

Larkin just had 148pts in 150games basically 80pts vs Petterssons 85 and got 8.7 million and is one of the better 2 way guys in the league

Reactions: Vector

ahmon

Jun 25, 2002
Visit site
Just listening to post game..Tocchet didn’t mind his team’s effort

effort was there, probably one of the more physical games the canucks play.

actually showed some backbone this game.

couple defensive mistakes and our top players couldn't capitalize thats the difference. 0/2 on the pp.

IMO fixing the pp is a priority along with the defense- continue to be too static and on the perimeter.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
effort was there, probably one of the more physical games the canucks play.

actually showed some backbone this game.

couple defensive mistakes and our top players couldn't capitalize thats the difference. 0/2 on the pp.

IMO fixing the pp is a priority along with the defense- continue to be too static and on the perimeter.
Well add no kuz on pp 1 when it might have helped i get he wants team d but ffs use your assets idiot

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Our 5v5 play has absolutely tanked

It is soooooo bad

Dangerous scoring chances against are skyrocketing
And we can’t generate a damn thing

Reactions: Grantham

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Up to the third a pretty evenly played game. Miller scores and we might be looking at different result. Game pointed out that the Canucks need to improve the lower end of their lineup. LA has people who can skate at this level up and down the lineup while Vancouver has players that can bump around but lack the skill and the skating to consistently stay in the play or produce offense. Team lacks the Hansen type players that provide NHL level offense and defense on the lower lines. Don't believe you can go anywhere with Dries, Studnicka, Kravtsov, Boeser, etc.. Know that some are young but none of these type players have shown any where near enough to have any confidence that they are, or will become become NHL players.

Players like McWard and Hirose had their good moments but need more seasoning and more strength to hang in with players like Kopitar and Danault.

Thought Gavrikov had very good game and would be a wonderful pickup.

Ultimately a matter of getting rid of some contracts (Boeser, OEL, Myers. etc.) and picking up some bona vide talent. Believe also that the team should be looking beyond next year to 2014 - 25 when the cap is raised. Next year needs to be another building year with the emphasis on improving the defense and rounding out the bottom lines. I think this game pointed that out.

ohnoeszz

May 5, 2010
This game felt strangely important to the team.

A lot of guys were playing for their NHL existence on our side (Studnicka, Dries, Aman, Di Giuseppe, Joshua, Kravstov, Burroughs). Then we have 2 rookies on D and a NHL rookie in Kuzmenko who is feeling the hard love. Then we have NHL vets getting challenged by the coach at season's end.

With all that, I felt the team poked the bear (good) and then struggled to fight back (bad).

We have a real problem with physical teams and its not just that we get overpowered - we get flustered, over-aggressive and we lose our positioning all over the ice. We lose our composure and discipline when physically challenged.

Today, we didnt so much lose the physical battle as we lost our heads.

Goal 1 - puck put in deep. McWard is first to go to the boards putting his check to the ice freeing the puck.

Bear follows but doesn't play puck allowing his man to chip it back behind goal, past McWard with a play to feed infront on the far side.

Dries manages to be there positionally but is mentally floating and loses his man - the eventual trigger man and rebound guy - in the slot.

McWard retreats to the netfront and probably should have cleared the man Dries lost instead of spinning to play the puck in his feet but it's a tough complaint at that point in the play.

Goal 2 - the team is starting to press. Kuzmenko mishandled the puck to turn it over, then does a very weak fly-by back-check on the puck carrier along the boards allowing that player lift the puck into our zone for a potential 2v2.

Myers tries to swat the puck back to the blueline but only gets it to the 2nd forward. From here Myers goes panic hero mode and tries to step up on the new puck carrier with his previous check now wide to his side.

Bear was adjusting to step up on the 2nd forward but is in no position to shutdown the forward on the far side of Myers. He swaps course to obstruct a centering pass and Myers manages to affect F2 enough that a crosscrease pass isn't attempted...

Because back behind the play the forwards went for a line change. I wonder if a coach got upset with the Kuzmenko effort and yelled for a change which screwed us. Otherwise, Kravstov pulled a JT Miller walk to the bench as the low forward on the play.

‐---

Hard to demand too much with the half Grinder lineup right now but I like it as a coaching tactic to make guys play more like a Di Giuseppe or a Joshua to round their game. It will be nice to see Mikeyhev level guys in those spots next season.

Kravstov destroyed any good will he had built up with that atrocity of a game. I felt he was notably soft and dumb in his he would check, giving up the wrong turn or angle to the opposition at times. I'm ready to shoot him into the sun. I don't see how you move the team forward in the manner needed while trying to reel up this anchor.

Hirose was excellent again in one of our hardest played games of the year.

McWard handled himself well I thought. No elite upside here but far from a stiff.

I'm ready to move on from Bear and keep Burroughs. One felt scrambly. The other was one of our most notable players physically who bore the brunt of standing up for the team along the boards.

Our forwards could not figure out how to handle the Kings breakout which was putting the puck to a sagging forward at their defensive halfwall behind our 1st layer of forecheckers and then forcing our 2nd layer to chase horizontally to pressure. It broke our pressure time and again. I'm curious is this is a typical feature of the Kings breakout or an adjustment a veteran team can make to opposing system play like ours.

Management really seems ready for a new year.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Our 5v5 play has absolutely tanked

It is soooooo bad

Dangerous scoring chances against are skyrocketing
And we can’t generate a damn thing
Yup. This team is still miles way from being above average at 5v5 over a full season. There's a reason why teams like the Kings and Flames just absolutely smother the Canucks at 5v5, their two-way hockey sense up and down the lineup is just at another level compared to the Canucks. And these aren't even SC favs we're talking about here.

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
Next year I can see us getting away with stashing either OEL or Myers on the third pairing. But not both.

Hughes - RHD (Schenn?)
Hronek - Bear
OEL - Burroughs

Hirose
Rathbone
Woo
Johansson

Maybe we can package Myers with Rathbone for "future considerations" or a 7th or something equally nothing-y.

God this is sad...

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Point is a good one. Barzal would have been had he not played in NY with a hack offensive team and getting hurt.

Larkin just had 148pts in 150games basically 80pts vs Petterssons 85 and got 8.7 million and is one of the better 2 way guys in the league
They'll dangle the captaincy if he signs over the summer, and if he plays hard ball they'll wait and sign him for what he's worth at the end of next season, cornering him into performing well again in a contract year. Probably the difference between $11m (no captain) and $9-9.5m (captain)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Next year I can see us getting away with stashing either OEL or Myers on the third pairing. But not both.

Hughes - RHD (Schenn?)
Hronek - Bear
OEL - Burroughs

Hirose
Rathbone
Woo
Johansson

Maybe we can package Myers with Rathbone for "future considerations" or a 7th or something equally nothing-y.

God this is sad...
Why would you have Hronek on the left side ..?...That doesn't make a lick of sense...

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Pathetic performance from a pathetic team.

This shitty season just needs to end.

They'll dangle the captaincy if he signs over the summer, and if he plays hard ball they'll wait and sign him for what he's worth at the end of next season, cornering him into performing well again in a contract year. Probably the difference between $11m (no captain) and $9-9.5m (captain)
Lol, delusional.

Being captain should cost the team money for the bullshit he has to put up with.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Pathetic performance from a pathetic team.

This shitty season just needs to end.

Lol, delusional.

Being captain should cost the team money for the bullshit he has to put up with.
Except it doesn't usually happen that way. Almost all captains take discounts out of good will. Being a captain of an NHL franchise is a dream for some players, and very meaningful. Disparaging the honour because you are a salt lamp isn't really useful analysis.

kranuck

Mar 11, 2023
Except it doesn't usually happen that way. Almost all captains take discounts out of good will. Being a captain of an NHL franchise is a dream for some players, and very meaningful. Disparaging the honour because you are a salt lamp isn't really useful analysis.
Continue deluding yourself into thinking Petey is gonna take millions less for a f***ing letter.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Except Petey was hesitant about being named the captain when pressed about it...That right there tells you that its not on his bucket list, and he shouldn't be the captain.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Except Petey was hesitant about being named the captain when pressed about it...That right there tells you that its not on his bucket list, and he shouldn't be the captain.
Most players don't outright come out and say "I want to be captain" because then it sets up a media storyline that they will be upset if they aren't, or that they're demanding the captaincy in negotiation. They are always dodgy about the question, or provide a milquetoast ("the captaincy is an honour and whoever wears it will wear it with pride")

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad