Post-Game Talk: [GM5] Canucks defeat Panthers | 5-3 (Hughes, Soucy, Pettersson, Kuzmenko, & Boeser) | Bend, Don’t Break

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
:laugh:There doesn't seem to be a lot of chemistry between Hughes and Hronek. Don't think they are a long term fit together. But Hronek seems to be the best we got for Hughes right now and allows Cole and others to have more manageable deployment and minutes. But we really don't have much sample size here until Soucy and Cole are given more of a chance to play alongside Hughes.
Hronek and Hughes are killing it. It’s not an appeal to authority. It’s watching the f***ing games and understanding the sport. We need a solid, preferably mean D man one who can give us 18-19 min of hard ice time on the RH side and a big winger to get to the net who plays with a bit of anger. Funny…. a prime Rick Tocchet and a prime Adam Foote turns this team into a wagon. The two toughest guys on the team stand behind the bench.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Hronek and Hughes are killing it. It’s not an appeal to authority. It’s watching the f***ing games and understanding the sport. We need a solid, preferably mean D man one who can give us 18-19 min of hard ice time on the RH side and a big winger to get to the net who plays with a bit of anger. Funny…. a prime Rick Tocchet and a prime Adam Foote turns this team into a wagon. The two toughest guys on the team stand behind the bench.
I wouldn't worry about toughness on the squad if they were just plain good at hockey.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
I want to see the lines switched up a bit... the bottom 6 got absolutely destroyed tonight and the defence is still a mess.

I'd do with

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Beauvillier (need to get Beauvillier going and this line had success last year)
PDG - Miller - Boeser (not touching this line as this is the only line bringing it night in and night out)
Mikheyev - Suter - Garland (Mikheyev would bring some size/ speed to this line and could be used as an offensive 3rd line)
Hoglander - Blueger - Lafferty (Shutdown checking 4th line with speed)
Joshua/Studnicka

Hughes - Friedman (Hughes played well with Juulsen and Friedman looks like a better player - so why not)
Soucy - Hronek
Cole - Myers
(Myers needs a babysitter and Cole seems to fit the bill)
Juulsen

Thoughts??

David Bruce Banner

Nude Cabdriver Ban
Mar 25, 2008
Streets Ahead
I've been a bit on the fence about PDG, honestly. I've been scarred by too many years of AHL fodder stinking out the joint. Chaisson, Hawryluk, Schaller, Gaudette, Skille, Chaput, Megna; I never saw any of them make a play like PDG did on the forecheck that led to the game winner. And against OEL too... that was just icing on the cake.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Myers completely abandoned his defensive lane to allow Barkov a clear path to the net

Beau, Strudnicka and Joshua are all useless players. Play hogs and get Bains up
Based on the early going, I don't think Podkolzin and Aman are too long for the AHL. They'd bring a welcome infusion of size and grit into the lineup.

Of course for that to happen, somebody has to be traded, or they run into a rash of injuries. But clearly the Canucks simply can't afford to employ three wingers the size of Hoglander, Garland and Beauvillier.

Reactions: Fatass

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Myers was stapled to the bench when it mattered. 1:30 of TOI in the 3rd.
1697979227337.jpeg

TomWillander1RD

Jul 21, 2004
Throughout the entire game, I was puzzled by the fact that OEL continued to receive significant ice time despite his mistakes. The box score clearly indicates that he had the second-highest TOI for the Panthers' D. On the other hand, Mahura had the least amount of TOI. I thought he had considerable contribution and positive impact on the game for Panthers. What was going through their coach's mind? BTW, watching the team play against OEL was a delightful experience.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Myers was stapled to the bench when it mattered. 1:30 of TOI in the 3rd.

Did you just scan the box score?

Mik hasn’t played much the last 10 months. Maybe stick to physio.

Hronek is playing well.

You watch the game through a different lens than most it seems.
All good there lil buddy?

Reactions: Indiana

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
There doesn't seem to be a lot of chemistry between Hughes and Hronek. Don't think they are a long term fit together. But Hronek seems to be the best we got for Hughes right now and allows Cole and others to have more manageable deployment and minutes. But we really don't have much sample size here until Soucy and Cole are given more of a chance to play alongside Hughes.
Yeah, Hughes is on another level right now and Hronek is just the benefactor and somewhat wasted as an asset beside him. Hronek should really be a second pairing guy...it would be nice if we could get another top 4 defenseman somewhere along the way here.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Interesting stat line for the D:
‘Hughes and defence partner Filip Hronek logged 15:18 of five-on-five ice time when shot attempts were 22-10 for the Canucks. In the other 34:21 of five-on-five, it was 50-17 for the Panthers. Hughes had 10 shot attempts.’

The bottom line is that the Hughes-Hronek pairing was dominant at ES but Vancouver got caved on the other two pairings.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Interesting stat line for the D:
‘Hughes and defence partner Filip Hronek logged 15:18 of five-on-five ice time when shot attempts were 22-10 for the Canucks. In the other 34:21 of five-on-five, it was 50-17 for the Panthers. Hughes had 10 shot attempts.’

The bottom line is that the Hughes-Hronek pairing was dominant at ES but Vancouver got caved on the other two pairings.

This has basically been the story for the whole season. They’ve managed to create a Makar-Toews pairing - which is theoretically f***ing awesome - but unfortunately don’t have the depth to justify keeping it together.

I’m feeling like they should keep that pairing together in home games where they can get preferred matchups and then split it up on the road to create 2 competent pairings.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
He’s been shit and honestly didn’t deserve to play more. If we called up Sheldon Dries and played him in Beauvillier’s minutes so far this year I don’t know if we lose anything.
More like he's playing with shit (btm 6 has been getting caved badly) and has gotten overlooked for a shit line mate in Garland with Pettersson and Kuzmenko because the elf is getting a showcase shut up or put up opportunity. With 3yrs on that Benning turd we have to make an asset move not a good one that makes sense.

Now that Mikhayev is back he's just gonna have to play his way out of it.

He's been the best of the rest btm 6 from my perspective other than 2 games where he was pretty invisible. I agree he needs to be better and do more and for 4.1 million it's why NYI fans were happy to unload him because he's a tweener making top6 money similar to Pearson.

Sheldon Dries? Yes ok he hasn't done much so i get it but he's a way better player and you know enough about odds to know that will change. Dries was awful

MarkMM

Jan 30, 2010
Delta, BC
I want to see the lines switched up a bit... the bottom 6 got absolutely destroyed tonight and the defence is still a mess.

I'd do with

Kuzmenko - Pettersson - Beauvillier (need to get Beauvillier going and this line had success last year)
PDG - Miller - Boeser (not touching this line as this is the only line bringing it night in and night out)
Mikheyev - Suter - Garland (Mikheyev would bring some size/ speed to this line and could be used as an offensive 3rd line)
Hoglander - Blueger - Lafferty (Shutdown checking 4th line with speed)
Joshua/Studnicka

Hughes - Friedman (Hughes played well with Juulsen and Friedman looks like a better player - so why not)
Soucy - Hronek
Cole - Myers
(Myers needs a babysitter and Cole seems to fit the bill)
Juulsen

Thoughts??

Slight modification I'd try would be Cole and Hronek as a legit second pairing and then Soucy and Myers as a very sheltered minimal use pairing.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
This has basically been the story for the whole season. They’ve managed to create a Makar-Toews pairing - which is theoretically f***ing awesome - but unfortunately don’t have the depth to justify keeping it together.

I’m feeling like they should keep that pairing together in home games where they can get preferred matchups and then split it up on the road to create 2 competent pairings.
Has this pairing been better than Schenn + Hughes last year?

If not. All we have done is 7x the cap hit of Hughes' partner.

Last edited:

LaVal

Dec 13, 2002
Kelowna
It's nice when your coaching staff have the balls to bench their $6 million defensemen in the 3rd period of a close game. Had Myers played a regular shift there would have been a solid chance the Canucks would have lost last night.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad