Post-Game Talk: [GM5] Canucks defeat Panthers | 5-3 (Hughes, Soucy, Pettersson, Kuzmenko, & Boeser) | Bend, Don’t Break

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
WHEN: October 21st, 4:00PM PST
WHERE: Amerant Bank Arena, Sunrise, FL, USA
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Canucks Line-Up:

PDG-Miller-Boeser
Mikheyev-Pettersson-Kuzmenko
Joshua-Suter-Lafferty
Beauvillier-Studnicka-Garland

Hughes-Hronek
Cole-Myers
Soucy-Friedman

DeSmith

Panthers Line-Up:

Rodrigues - Barkov - Reinhart
Verhaeghe - Luostarinen - Tkachuk
Cousins - Lundell - Sourdif
Lomberg - Stenlund - Lorentz

Forsling - OEL
Mikkola - Kulikov
Mahura - Balinskis

Bobrovsky

Last edited:

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Here’s hoping Myers doesn’t forget he’s not paired with OEL anymore actively plays against the team

I hope Myers isnt in this game or they announce hes on the third pairing. I need some hope.
If Myers isn't playing on the PK he is one of the best at 5 on 5. No goals against.

One player doesn't make a team. There is no "I" in TEAM. Correction, Demko is making the games closer looking.

Don't just follow along with the herd. It is not getting rid of him, it is using him smartly. You know, make a team. If this is a weakness then change the requirements of his role.

Florida is starting to step it up even with a few key players injured.

OEL is playing where he should have been playing in Vancouver. He was an offensive type dman. A PP quarterback.

Now, fully healed from his broken leg he is playing over 25 minutes a game. No pressure on him.

Ought to be an interesting game.

Florida stumbled to start the season but is coming back. They are also leaning on their goalie.

A goalie battle!!! :D

Reactions: Indiana

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
When you look at our team, we have players who aren’t exactly fit to play Tocchet’s coaching style.

Too many pond hockey players. Skate skate skate skate until you realize you haven’t done f*** all the whole shift as you come back to the bench. Rinse and repeat.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
OEL is their #1 guy but gets exposed in the same way he was last season, he can't pivot and retrieve pucks. Dump it in on him, come at him with speed, and there's nothing he can do.

Problem, as I've said too much, is that the Canucks rarely generate any speed on the forecheck or neutral zone.

Tact

Jul 9, 2006
The problem with the OEL acquisition always was the fact that he’ll be behind Hughes on PP depth chart. It was such a waste for him to play second PP and be match up guy.

Now that Florida is playing him to his strengths, they’re getting maximum value out of him.

His issues still are speed, pivoting. However, OEL really did have a knack for getting pucks on net, especially on the PP.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
I'm trying to weigh (as I'm sure the coaches are) whether it would be better to have Myers or Juulsen in the lineup.

Reactions: Vector

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Canucks as a whole, played a lot better against Tampa..Philly was a no show.

Probably see De Smith in net for the Canucks..You also have to factor in that it's the Canucks 3rd game in 5 nights.

OEL/ Forsling is the top pairing for Florida (which is, in reality..their second pairing)...and they've managed to knock off two very good teams this week (NJD and TOR)..There's no freebies in the league this season, pretty much every team (maybe with the exception of SJS) is capable of knocking off their opponents.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Should be winnable, feel like if they replicate the Tampa effort they will take this one.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I hope Myers isnt in this game or they announce hes on the third pairing. I need some hope.
He was on the 3rd pairing until they decided to pair up Hughes /Hronek together..Probably time to go back to Hughes on the 1st pairing, and Hronek on the 2nd.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
The dumbest aspect is to just play Soucy or Cole on their off-hand. It's an unforced error not to do so.
Yeah still strange to not lean on the two guys with experience playing on their offhand side. Adam Foote's coaching inexperience starting to show? He played RHD his entire career, so that might influence his opinions on handedness and sides.

Like, you don't want to have a low IQ player like Myers playing on his off-side, but it's probably fine to have Cole or Soucy or even Hughes in the right slot.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad