Post-Game Talk: [GM5] Canucks defeat Panthers | 5-3 (Hughes, Soucy, Pettersson, Kuzmenko, & Boeser) | Bend, Don’t Break

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
:laugh:

In all seriousness though, this is another aspect of this pairing that makes no sense to me. You're just gonna drive up his pricetag next summer with this. While also not really making the team better/deeper overall.
But what if it’s the 2nd best pairing in the NHL? Kinda tilts the ice for the team for 40 % of the game. Tocchet has 3 rings. Does biturbo even have an ear ring or a shower curtain ring? Adam Foote by all accounts is running the D. I think he’s won a bit here and there.:nod:

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
But what if it’s the 2nd best pairing in the NHL? Kinda tilts the ice for the team for 40 % of the game. Tocchet has 3 rings. Does biturbo even have an ear ring or a shower curtain ring? Adam Foote by all accounts is running the D. I think he’s won a bit here and there.:nod:

Okay. Cool appeal to authority i guess.

Who is to say the two split up wouldn't also still tilt the ice for even more of the game? That's my point.

Reactions: Indiana and quat

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
I was skeptical of the Hronek acquisition initially, because i wasn't sure how it was going to work with him and Hughes both being somewhat similar-ish.

But i started to really come around on the idea when it seemed like they might be able to have two separate pairings that could actually effectively move the puck out of their own zone.

But then they've gone ahead and nixed that whole potential benefit by mostly playing them together. Where i don't think it really makes Hughes any better, and it also doesn't really seem to make Hronek any better. It's just going to end up pumping up his asking price as an RFA based on production and "top pairing minutes" played.
Not to beat a dead horse, but it's bizarre how much this organization seems set on working against their best interests. Not just this group, but the Canucks from Day 1.

I'd much rather see Hronek being the best player on a second pairing, and he does seem able to do that. You can see the ability, but in comparison with Toews, he makes a lot more unforced errors (in like four games, so yeah, a grain of salt)

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This team is going to drive Tocchet to drink or worse.....put together a solid second period to go up 3-1 and get outshot 18-2 in the third period to surrender the lead.

It's like the rink gets tilted against this team and they can't get the momentum back. Kuzmenko scores the winner totally against the run of the play after a hard forecheck by Di Giuseppe.

Oh well, you take the two points and get out of town. On to Music City. Last game of the road-trip so they might be running on fumes. But maybe Demmer can steal one.

Reactions: Indiana and bh53

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan
All the split up Hughes and Hronek arguments rely on the idea that Hronek can carry a bottom pairing guy with him and not suck.

Questionable assertion at best.
Yep, you don't know until you try. But if it works it makes the Canucks' chances for the playoffs stronger and if it doesn't work, it might keep Hronek's next contract down. If only plays with Hughes he's getting a much bigger raise than he possibly has earned.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Agreed on the Hughes/Hronek points. They just have to run Hughes-Cole, Soucy Hronek, then double-shift Hughes-Hronek a bit and shelter Friedman-Myers for weak 10-13 minutes a game. It's the only way for sustainable defense and possession until they trade Garland+ for a defenseman.
I do believe Tampa largely ran with right side Cole as Hedman's main partner at fives last season. It's not completely loony to try.

Reactions: Indiana

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I do believe Tampa largely ran with right side Cole as Hedman's main partner at fives last season. It's not completely loony to try.

I wouldn't say Cole was Hedman's "main partner" last season at all. Perbix, Bogo, Cernak all played more with him.

Over the Cole's tenure there in general...he played a bit with Hedman, but so did pretty much everyone else on the Tampa blueline at various points.

That said, it really doesn't seem like a big stretch to think Cole could very comfortably play there with Hughes, on his off side. It's something he's done a decent amount of over his career.

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I wouldn't say Cole was Hedman's "main partner" last season at all. Perbix, Bogo, Cernak all played more with him.

Over the Cole's tenure there in general...he played a bit with Hedman, but so did pretty much everyone else on the Tampa blueline at various points.

That said, it really doesn't seem like a big stretch to think Cole could very comfortably play there with Hughes, on his off side. It's something he's done a decent amount of over his career.
I got myself somehow misinormed.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Wellp.

That was a really good 2 periods of hockey.

@Chairman Maouth Myers' best game this year and he solid over all. Still has trouble with his reads like he always does and that led to some turnovers but not as costly as most of the season.

- Miller is playing the best hockey of his career. That line is dynamite.
- I do not like how we get shelled when the opponent pushes the pace.
- At least Hronek is not going to be expensive to extend if this is how he plays all season. (Positive spin!)

I dont know what to think of Mikheyev's skating. He looked rusty and his speed seemed to be there at one point and then he looked awkward taking his first steps the second...

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I got myself somehow misinormed.

nbd. As far as the actual intent of the thing, i don't think it really so much matters. Point is, Cole can and has played his off side. And in minutes with Hedman before. No real reason he couldn't with Hughes as well. Even if it's a little bit of a revolving door like with Hedman where Hronek also plays some shifts there.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
I wouldn't try to forensic what happened in the third. The d-core is improved but still a WIP, their are still breakdowns and too slow, with not much you can do until a roster spot & some cap opens up (coughMyerscough). I find it very encouraging this iteration of the team keeps fighting - the last two seasons they'd close up shop almost right away. This season it still anyone's game until the end.

Even the loss in Tampa was encouraging.

Tonystretcher

Oct 25, 2017
All the split up Hughes and Hronek arguments rely on the idea that Hronek can carry a bottom pairing guy with him and not suck.

Questionable assertion at best.
Hronek has done that for his entire career up to this point. He was excellent with Maata last year. Not a questionable assertion at all.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
If anyone is interested..Myers only played 13 minutes tonight.

That is 3rd pairing mins

twitterverse and media helped. after that tbay game. coach probably listened as well. dont like hughes and hronek playing majority of their time together. needs to be split only time they can be together is if they are pressing for offense and down by a goal. other than that seperate them. try hughes cole? soucy/hronek. friedman/juulsen.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
I think if we had lost this game a lot of people would have been all over the typical Canucks loss narrative. But this is exactly the type of game we often end up on the wrong side of.

Both our goalies are rocking s +.930 save percentage

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
There doesn't seem to be a lot of chemistry between Hughes and Hronek. Don't think they are a long term fit together. But Hronek seems to be the best we got for Hughes right now and allows Cole and others to have more manageable deployment and minutes. But we really don't have much sample size here until Soucy and Cole are given more of a chance to play alongside Hughes.

Oliewud

May 13, 2013
There doesn't seem to be a lot of chemistry between Hughes and Hronek. Don't think they are a long term fit together. But Hronek seems to be the best we got for Hughes right now and allows Cole and others to have more manageable deployment and minutes. But we really don't have much sample size here until Soucy and Cole are given more of a chance to play alongside Hughes.
Schenn would be perfect right now. Thanks a lot nashville.

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
Wellp.

That was a really good 2 periods of hockey.

@Chairman Maouth Myers' best game this year and he solid over all. Still has trouble with his reads like he always does and that led to some turnovers but not as costly as most of the season.

- Miller is playing the best hockey of his career. That line is dynamite.
- I do not like how we get shelled when the opponent pushes the pace.
- At least Hronek is not going to be expensive to extend if this is how he plays all season. (Positive spin!)

I dont know what to think of Mikheyev's skating. He looked rusty and his speed seemed to be there at one point and then he looked awkward taking his first steps the second...
Myers was stapled to the bench when it mattered. 1:30 of TOI in the 3rd.

Did you just scan the box score?

Mik hasn’t played much the last 10 months. Maybe stick to physio.

Hronek is playing well.

You watch the game through a different lens than most it seems.

Reactions: CherryToke

Petey But Really Jim

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Myers was stapled to the bench when it mattered. 1:30 of TOI in the 3rd.

Did you just scan the box score?

Mik hasn’t played much the last 10 months. Maybe stick to physio.

Hronek is playing well.

You watch the game through a different lens than most it seems.
So, so sassayyyyyyyy.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad