Post-Game Talk: [GM44] Canucks lose to Lightning | 2-5 | Kuzmenko & Hughes

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
So Delia comes in and plays 45 minutes of shutout hockey and literally doesn't even get a mention by either any of the PBP crew or anybody here. I think this game pushes his save % to over .900 this year with us. Yet we all know who will get the ticket to the minors whenever Demko comes back which is ridiculous but then this IS the Canucks the team where players' careers come to be snuffed out by incompetence. I fear those fans who think Demko is going to come back in his .915 form of a year or so ago are going to be bitterly disappointed. I would love it if Delia got claimed when they send him down...

Reactions: Nomobo

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I couldn't watch the game tonight, but judging by the comments, the goaltending was far from stellar..?
Isn’t that your stance for why Benning’s masterpiece is failing?

So Delia comes in and plays 45 minutes of shutout hockey and literally doesn't even get a mention by either any of the PBP crew or anybody here. I think this game pushes his save % to over .900 this year with us. Yet we all know who will get the ticket to the minors whenever Demko comes back which is ridiculous but then this IS the Canucks the team where players' careers come to be snuffed out by incompetence. I fear those fans who think Demko is going to come back in his .915 form of a year or so ago are going to be bitterly disappointed. I would love it if Delia got claimed when they send him down...
This seems like who gives a F territory yet you seem pretty invested.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Isn’t that your stance for why Benning’s masterpiece is failing?

This seems like who gives a F territory yet you seem pretty invested.
I just think it's ridiculous when there are several posts saying "the goaltending was awful" when one of the goalies pitches a shutout for 3/4 of the game.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014

Any fan who expects Demko to put up those type of numbers is out of their mind and delusional, you can put Vasilevskiy or Shesterkin behind this defense and there is almost no chance they'd put up those numbers. Remember folks, we're icing a defense that features OEL and Tyler Myers playing top-4 minutes. Luke Schenn has played relatively well, but we're very lucky we've gotten top-4 caliber play out of him.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I just think it's ridiculous when there are several posts saying "the goaltending was awful" when one of the goalies pitches a shutout for 3/4 of the game.
Fair enough.

I personally don’t like goaltending criticism if it’s seemingly in apology for the overall loser-ness of the group.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Any fan who expects Demko to put up those type of numbers is out of their mind and delusional, you can put Vasilevskiy or Shesterkin behind this defense and there is almost no chance they'd put up those numbers. Remember folks, we're icing a defense that features OEL and Tyler Myers playing top-4 minutes. Luke Schenn has played relatively well, but we're very lucky we've gotten top-4 caliber play out of him.
That's right, this team is porous for sure and, remember, before Demko got hurt he was 3-10 .883 which is, to put it politely, bloody awful. Martin has been a 3.89 GAA with a .877 sv % which is, erm, completely horrible but, for some bizarre reason (perhaps based on a decent half dozen games last year) they signed him for two years and come hell or high water he is the guy they are going to keep trying to make work in the #1 spot while Demko is gone. He has been spared most of the really hard games and has visibly sucked wind all over the league. Delia, on the other hand, has been played very sparingly, usually playing solidly if not spectacularly (and usually harder games) and, outside of a 25 or so minute disaster in one game, he has been IMHO this team's best goalie this year and it isn't even close. Oh and he had a kid in the middle of all this insanity. So I for one am rooting for him and hope he lands somewhere where they need a good journeyman goalie Pity that I'm totally on team tank or I would advocate him taking over the #1 job in a meritocracy. As if...

Reactions: Nomobo

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
I love Kuzmenko too but why is everyone so gung-ho on re-signing? His contract demands will be high and he could fetch a handsome return at the deadline given his current contract. For me it's a no brainer deal him for a 1st + prospect - there will be a bidding war for this player.

I know this is sort of management talk but it's a little appropriate how much drooling Kuzmenkonis getting in here. It's Pettersson, Hughes and Demko...then the rest.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I love Kuzmenko too but why is everyone so gung-ho on re-signing? His contract demands will be high and he could fetch a handsome return at the deadline given his current contract. For me it's a no brainer deal him for a 1st + prospect - there will be a bidding war for this player.

I know this is sort of management talk but it's a little appropriate how much drooling Kuzmenkonis getting in here. It's Pettersson, Hughes and Demko...then the rest.

Because as-is, we're already hearing reports that Pettersson is probably going to want out asap. Trading Horvat is fine, we invested draft capital into him a while back and this is our chance to cash out on him. But Kuz is found money. He's still relatively young at 26 - young enough that he'd still be productive by the time a rebuild would be finished. If we strip the team totally down and leave Pettersson to play with journeymen exclusively, you think he'll want to stay in Vancouver long term? This isn't Be A GM mode lol you have to consider the moral of your star players, and from what we know Pettersson and Kuzmenko are friends off the ice as well. To go past that, it's his first season in North America. Kuzmenko is only 2 years older than what Panarin was when he first came over to North America. Go take a look at his first season, and then his first season with the Rangers. Take a look at Kaprizov's 1st season, then the seasons that follow. Point is, even with the successful Russians who come over, there is a transition period. This is what Kuzmenko's transition period looks like - I'd absolutely be in favour of taking the risk and seeing if there is another gear with this player. Sign him to a bridge deal - the bidding war will be there at the end of his bridge deal as well if we're still interested in moving him, but there is a significant amount of upside in holding off with him and actually extending him.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Because as-is, we're already hearing reports that Pettersson is probably going to want out asap. Trading Horvat is fine, we invested draft capital into him a while back and this is our chance to cash out on him. But Kuz is found money. He's still relatively young at 26 - young enough that he'd still be productive by the time a rebuild would be finished. If we strip the team totally down and leave Pettersson to play with journeymen exclusively, you think he'll want to stay in Vancouver long term? This isn't Be A GM mode lol you have to consider the moral of your star players, and from what we know Pettersson and Kuzmenko are friends off the ice as well. To go past that, it's his first season in North America. Kuzmenko is only 2 years older than what Panarin was when he first came over to North America. Go take a look at his first season, and then his first season with the Rangers. Take a look at Kaprizov's 1st season, then the seasons that follow. Point is, even with the successful Russians who come over, there is a transition period. This is what Kuzmenko's transition period looks like - I'd absolutely be in favour of taking the risk and seeing if there is another gear with this player. Sign him to a bridge deal - the bidding war will be there at the end of his bridge deal as well if we're still interested in moving him, but there is a significant amount of upside in holding off with him and actually extending him.

This is a gamble. For one Kuzmenko could very well just walk. Even if you can lock him up right now for 2-3 years we know the Canucks won't be contending in that time. It's frankly insulting to think Pettersson is going to be in any way consoled by Kuzmenko being around on a non-playoff team.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
This season..goaltending has literally stunk for this team..end of story.

Delia is the #1 goalie now..Its all touch and go, though...Neither Martin or Delia are NHL calibre goalies.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
This is a gamble. For one Kuzmenko could very well just walk. Even if you can lock him up right now for 2-3 years we know the Canucks won't be contending in that time. It's frankly insulting to think Pettersson is going to be in any way consoled by Kuzmenko being around on a non-playoff team.
It's not a gamble though, the grounds have to be laid out though but from everything we've heard Kuzmenko loves it here and beyond that the team knows what he wants on a bridge deal as well as long-term. Sure, the Canucks won't be contending for the next 2-3 years but he's still relatively young and like I said with the likes of the other successful Russians who have transitioned into the NHL, it's a small sample size but they've all had another gear to their game that was unlocked after another season. The same return we can get for him today will be there next year or the year after if we do bridge him, so I'm absolutely willing to take that risk. Regarding the last point, from what we know Pettersson and JT don't exactly get along. This team is dog shit as is, you expect Pettersson to give a f*** about playing with journeymen for the sake of staying in Vancouver? It's more insulting to think that Pettersson is going to want to stay long term if we took every piece of meat off the bone with this team.

Nov 1, 2011

Not your point but I'd say both Schenn and Bear only look like top 4 defenseman when paired with Quinn Hughes. Otherwise, they haven't.

Reactions: Canucker and B-rock

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Not your point but I'd say both Schenn and Bear only look like top 4 defenseman when paired with Quinn Hughes. Otherwise, they haven't.

Yeah, pretty much everyone’s numbers are much better when they’re out there on the ice with Hughes. It’s a shame that some morons don’t wanna give him the credit he deserves thinking he doesn’t play any defence when the Canucks play past their bedtimes. Guy’s a top-10 defenceman, it is a shame that his talent is being put to waste on this dumpster fire.

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
It's not a gamble though, the grounds have to be laid out though but from everything we've heard Kuzmenko loves it here and beyond that the team knows what he wants on a bridge deal as well as long-term. Sure, the Canucks won't be contending for the next 2-3 years but he's still relatively young and like I said with the likes of the other successful Russians who have transitioned into the NHL, it's a small sample size but they've all had another gear to their game that was unlocked after another season. The same return we can get for him today will be there next year or the year after if we do bridge him, so I'm absolutely willing to take that risk. Regarding the last point, from what we know Pettersson and JT don't exactly get along. This team is dog shit as is, you expect Pettersson to give a f*** about playing with journeymen for the sake of staying in Vancouver? It's more insulting to think that Pettersson is going to want to stay long term if we took every piece of meat off the bone with this team.

Petey, in my view, is NOT resigning here. His agent just basically told us his 'out' : He loves Vancouver - but he hates losing.

He is NOT resigning here. Just my thoughts, but I would blow it up, and trade him after Bo, along with many others - yet, there is Owner FA... Rock and a hard place.

Been saying this for years: There is no saving this, that leads to anything but hockey purgatory.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
Petey, in my view, is NOT resigning here. His agent just basically told us his 'out' : He loves Vancouver - but he hates losing.

He is NOT resigning here. Just my thoughts, but I would blow it up, and trade him after Bo, along with many others - yet, there is Owner FA... Rock and a hard place.

Been saying this for years: There is no saving this, that leads to anything but hockey purgatory.

Yeah, if he isn’t signing here long term we’re essentially f***ed and I’d honestly look at moving Hughes as well at that point because he isn’t going to be interested in playing with the journeymen he’s going to be stuck with. But I would still take the risk starting with trading Bo, bridging Kuzmenko, hopefully getting a top-4 pick in the draft and then go try to extend him long term. If he just isn’t interested, then it’s time to move everyone.

Reactions: Ozone

Ozone

Jan 19, 2013
Yeah, if he isn’t signing here long term we’re essentially f***ed and I’d honestly look at moving Hughes as well at that point because he isn’t going to be interested in playing with the journeymen he’s going to be stuck with. But I would still take the risk starting with trading Bo, bridging Kuzmenko, hopefully getting a top-4 pick in the draft and then go try to extend him long term. If he just isn’t interested, then it’s time to move everyone.
Honestly, me too.
Yet, I don't see the 'long game' winning a cup thing with this.

The stench of Frankie Boy and Benning are going to be lingering for years.

We need to pray to the hockey gods for new ownership, and rip off the band-aid with the retool ideas.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What we're really seeing this season is one of the worst defensive teams in the NHL playing in front of AHL goaltenders. And the result is predictable.

That opening goal by Stamkos was almost laughable. Three members of the Lightning standing all alone in front of the Canuck goal with no defender in sight. It has happened early and often to the Canucks this season.

Canucks have now allowed 175 goals in 44 games, tied with San Jose for the second worst defensive record in the entire NHL. Only the Ducks with 190 goals allowed have been worse.....and they ran up the white flag in October and have been in the Bedard sweepstakes ever since.

When you combine that with the worst PK in the NHL, well there's no surprise that this Canuck team is essentially dead and buried, and we're still barely more than half-way through January.

The inescapable reality is this team really doesn't play for each other. A number of players will hit their point and goal numbers to earn their bonuses. And that appears to be all that matters to them.

Reactions: Grantham

Diogenes92

Dec 13, 2014
North Vancouver
This season..goaltending has literally stunk for this team..end of story.

Delia is the #1 goalie now..Its all touch and go, though...Neither Martin or Delia are NHL calibre goalies.
Historically bad defense has led to the goaltending seeming worse than it actually has been.

But I've always felt that Martin was overrated.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The absolute class of the Lightning organization.

I am not sure the broadcast showed it, but a kid got hit by a deflected puck and immediately everyone on the TB bench was looking behind them in concern. I mean everyone. I'm more used to players not even blinking when a puck sails past them going fast enough to be a blur but every single player turned around and before you knew it, the kid had another puck and a stick as well. Hats off to them, the kid had a smile on his face 1 minute after being smoked and I'm sure he'll remember that moment the rest of his life. That's how you create fans.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Saids the guy who supported Benning all these years.
Button was an early poster child for out of touch GM. He could very well have been Benning bad but he only got 3 years to trade away good players for inferior ones. It’s only natural for him to defend someone like Benning.

Last edited:
Reactions: racerjoe and arttk

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Or maybe Bruce didn't think he was good at playing the left side and it turned out Bruce knew more than HFboards.

He played the left side last year as well. Using Burroughs to try to cite a good coaching job by Boudreau is hilarious.

I think that's fair but also Tampa basically went into a shell up 4 and there weren't a ton of chances. Delia should definitely be the one kept up, though.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad