Post-Game Talk: [GM44] Canucks lose to Lightning | 2-5 | Kuzmenko & Hughes

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
So Delia comes in and plays 45 minutes of shutout hockey and literally doesn't even get a mention by either any of the PBP crew or anybody here. I think this game pushes his save % to over .900 this year with us. Yet we all know who will get the ticket to the minors whenever Demko comes back which is ridiculous but then this IS the Canucks the team where players' careers come to be snuffed out by incompetence. I fear those fans who think Demko is going to come back in his .915 form of a year or so ago are going to be bitterly disappointed. I would love it if Delia got claimed when they send him down...
Would anyone really care at this point? I'm not sure anyone could claim Delia anyways, I believe he is up here on an "emergency loan" basis and is only allowed to be here for 9 or 10 games (a CBA guru might be able to correct me if I'm off base) then has to be returned to his team and I don't think he has to clear waivers...probably why Spencer Martin has received an inordinate amount of starts compared to Delia.

Nick Lang

May 14, 2015
I actually enjoyed this loss; we played well and the team deserved a better result, but this team needs to lose to better it's chance at a better pick. Also really hoping we extend Kuzmenko, I still think we don't know what we have with him fully. Sign him to a bridge deal, and if we're in a similar position to what we are in right now in 3 years time the return on him probably gets better as he will be more established in the league.

I think everyone would like to sign Kuz. Problem is at some point we have to be selective and not sign every single player we come across. Now we finally have a player worth re-signing and our cap space will be screwed if we do. The stupidity is overwhelming from this management group.

supercanuck

Mar 2, 2016
Nice to see so many familiar faces out to remember Gino. Hope we see even more on March 2nd - and I hope Bure in particular makes the trek over here.

It's pretty on brand for the Canucks at the moment that the highlight of the rest of the game was an on-air fart.

My 8 year old had me replay that clip for him like 10 times. That was the most fun and joy he's had as a Canucks fan.

strattonius

Jul 4, 2011
Surrey, BC
Because as-is, we're already hearing reports that Pettersson is probably going to want out asap. Trading Horvat is fine, we invested draft capital into him a while back and this is our chance to cash out on him. But Kuz is found money. He's still relatively young at 26 - young enough that he'd still be productive by the time a rebuild would be finished. If we strip the team totally down and leave Pettersson to play with journeymen exclusively, you think he'll want to stay in Vancouver long term? This isn't Be A GM mode lol you have to consider the moral of your star players, and from what we know Pettersson and Kuzmenko are friends off the ice as well. To go past that, it's his first season in North America. Kuzmenko is only 2 years older than what Panarin was when he first came over to North America. Go take a look at his first season, and then his first season with the Rangers. Take a look at Kaprizov's 1st season, then the seasons that follow. Point is, even with the successful Russians who come over, there is a transition period. This is what Kuzmenko's transition period looks like - I'd absolutely be in favour of taking the risk and seeing if there is another gear with this player. Sign him to a bridge deal - the bidding war will be there at the end of his bridge deal as well if we're still interested in moving him, but there is a significant amount of upside in holding off with him and actually extending him.

You don't have to be rude. No part of my take was juvenile so the 'NHL Be a Pro' comment is a cheap shot.

Kuzmenko is found money for sure. So that doesn't really explain why trading him for a futures package is a bad idea - isn't that still found money?

All these 'reports' that Pettersson wants out are extrapolated quotes from the media that insinuate Pettersson wants to be with a winner - and we're not winning. So while I partly agree he probably wants out, I find it rather gullible you'd think holding Kuzmenko would sell Pettersson on the Vancouver dream and keep him around.

I like Kuzmenko a lot and think henhas good chemistry with Pettersson, I'm just not exactly sold it's the best move for the team. We're not privy to what will be offered on Kuzmenko but my guess it's something this team desperately needs - draft pick currency and futures. I guess we'll see.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
This season..goaltending has literally stunk for this team..end of story.

Delia is the #1 goalie now..Its all touch and go, though...Neither Martin or Delia are NHL calibre goalies.
Is he #1 though? We shall soon see. I'm still betting that the second Demko returns Delia gets sent down...

Last edited:

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Would anyone really care at this point? I'm not sure anyone could claim Delia anyways, I believe he is up here on an "emergency loan" basis and is only allowed to be here for 9 or 10 games (a CBA guru might be able to correct me if I'm off base) then has to be returned to his team and I don't think he has to clear waivers...probably why Spencer Martin has received an inordinate amount of starts compared to Delia.
I was unaware of any restrictions on Delia's usage; certainly it would explain why the team has gone back to Martin time and again after truly awful games. I like BB so this usage of goalies is strange to me. Anybody with eyes can see that Delia is a far superior choice than Martin. However the Canucks do have a fine tradition of totally mis-using their backups.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010

This is a good point and not one I've really considered. But then it raises the question, if you have to waive Spencer Martin back down who cares?

I was unaware of any restrictions on Delia's usage; certainly it would explain why the team has gone back to Martin time and again after truly awful games. I like BB so this usage of goalies is strange to me. Anybody with eyes can see that Delia is a far superior choice than Martin. However the Canucks do have a fine tradition of totally mis-using their backups.

Would be a good question for someone to ask Boudreau. Wonder if it's something management has communicated with him or he is just playing whoever he wants. Either way it goes by "games played" so when you pull Martin for Delia you are back in the same spot.

Last edited:
Reactions: timw33

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
IMac: “some of us got fooled by last season”

Also: calls out Linden as someone who got fooled by his first season

Is he really this stupid?

Bahahahah

iMac saying Rutherford got fooled by last season

Da FUQ???? No he didn’t, he said they suck, but decided to double down from last season.
iMac wasnt wrong...The Canucks having a 101 point season, and making the playoffs in 2014-15 (only to be embarrassed in them) was probably one of the worst possible things that could have happened...That illusion that they had a contender (the declining Sedin core) on their hands, set Linden/ Benning off to a string of bad moves..

Fast forward to now..Isnt it possible that JR overestimated his current squad?

4Twenty

Dec 18, 2018
They made bad moves before and during the 14/15 season. Absolute agenda driven false narrative to suggest otherwise

Sbisa targeted. Sbisa extended.

3 years and elite goalie money to a guy who didn’t outperform his back up in any of the 3 years.

Dorsett extension.

Vey.

Baertschi.

Clemdenning for Forsling.

Reactions: mossey3535

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Possible? Or obvious?
I think that if the Canucks had consistent goaltending this season, they would have been sniffing around a playoff spot ( and that'a a low bar)...but yes, its obvious that they have group of forwards that can score, but are allergic to back checking...The D are a disjointed group that dont fit/support each other...The goaltending, enough said.

Its been a mess this season.

Reactions: m9

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Everybody knew this Canuck team couldn't possibly survive with 'average' goaltending. And at this point in their careers, Delia and Martin are just journeyman netminders, who are hard-pressed every season just to get another contract. They top out at being decent AHL netminders and emergency NHL callups.....but that's about it.

But I agree with other posters......Demko, the way he played last year, would have the Canucks a lot closer to a playoff spot than they are now. But when he went down, the season was basically 'over'.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
They made bad moves before and during the 14/15 season. Absolute agenda driven false narrative to suggest otherwise

Sbisa targeted. Sbisa extended.

3 years and elite goalie money to a guy who didn’t outperform his back up in any of the 3 years.

Dorsett extension.

Vey.

Baertschi.

Clemdenning for Forsling.
Jethro Bodine gave him a @$%#@%#$% noticable raise despite playing like sh*t & Jethro had all the leverage. He could've just given him his qualifying offer & Pizza likely would've signed it.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
iMac wasnt wrong...The Canucks having a 101 point season, and making the playoffs in 2014-15 (only to be embarrassed in them) was probably one of the worst possible things that could have happened...That illusion that they had a contender (the declining Sedin core) on their hands, set Linden/ Benning off to a string of bad moves..

How can he overestimate them when he said they depend way too much on their goaltender and their defense sucks.
It’s a very strange flex to say he overestimated them when his opening press conference he said they suck.

His own own self assessment was he’s done a shit job.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
This is a good point and not one I've really considered. But then it raises the question, if you have to waive Spencer Martin back down who cares?
Yeah, I'm not really losing sleep over losing either of these guys at this point, their main upside is that they're cheap like borscht...I'm curious how this season's goaltending is sitting with Ian Clark and what his perspective on what is going on between the pipes.

• Love

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas

It's funny that there was a pretty strong contingent here on these boards who were adamantly yelling this from the rooftops that those seasons were not a good representation of the actual team and that they were fundamentally flawed and needed to start rebuilding. Yet IMAC and others on this forum were firmly in lock step with what Benning and Co. were selling.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016

iMac has absolutely no journalistic integrity.

Grantham

Mar 28, 2017
very good = Kuzmenko Hughes
good = Bear Studnicka
ok = Horvat Miller Pettersson Boeser Lazar Myers Schenn
bad = Michayev Garland
really bad = OEL Joshua Lockwood Martin Burroughs Dries
Really good eye on mentioning Bear and Studnicka as good. Bear was playing with a lot of confidence and should have had a beauty goal if not for Elliot.

Studnicka should have been played more. Really smart player. There is something there with him.

Hughes was the best player on the ice, bar none. Yes I know Stamkos got the hatrick (one empty net, and another a tap in). Didn't put a foot/skate wrong. Was our best player offensively AND defensively. You need to almost watch the replay several time after his plays to appreciate what he does. Him, Petey, and Demko are the true untouchables.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
It's funny that there was a pretty strong contingent here on these boards who were adamantly yelling this from the rooftops that those seasons were not a good representation of the actual team and that they were fundamentally flawed and needed to start rebuilding. Yet IMAC and others on this forum were firmly in lock step with what Benning and Co. were selling.
I wouldn’t know..I didn’t join till 2017.

How can he overestimate them when he said they depend way too much on their goaltender and their defense sucks.
It’s a very strange flex to say he overestimated them when his opening press conference he said they suck.

His own own self assessment was he’s done a shit job.
Yeah..he agreed he did a shit job by overestimating the team..I don’t think he thought the team would currently be this inept.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Yeah, I'm not really losing sleep over losing either of these guys at this point, their main upside is that they're cheap like borscht...I'm curious how this season's goaltending is sitting with Ian Clark and what his perspective on what is going on between the pipes.
Clark essentially failing to stabilize the goaltending this year is a huge story in my mind.

Delia has played better recently but he's getting the backup boost right now. And it doesn't take much to play better than Martin has. I don't think Delia is a long term solution at the NHL level in any role.

Reactions: Canucker

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad