Post-Game Talk: [GM44] Canucks lose to Lightning | 2-5 | Kuzmenko & Hughes

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Weird game.

Thought Tampa put in about 10 minutes of effort and due to the Canucks awful defense & goaltending went up 4-0. Foot off the gas the rest of the way.

This one is on the coaches. Martin should not have been starting and then should have been pulled one goal earlier. Bear & Burroughs are an awful pair. Never thought I'd say this, but Stillman is a better option than Burroughs right now. Don't even get me started on the Kuzmenko treatment.

Don't have much else to add. I'm sure analytics looked good for the Canucks tonight simply due to Tampa coasting all night.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Craig Button laying into Rutherford and Aquilini

“the way these two are treating Boudreau is an embarrassment and these two should be ashamed, especially Aquilini”

“I think Canucks ownership and management are living in a fantasy world, they are extremely out of touch with this team and fan base”

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Weird game.

Thought Tampa put in about 10 minutes of effort and due to the Canucks awful defense & goaltending went up 4-0. Foot off the gas the rest of the way.

This one is on the coaches. Martin should not have been starting and then should have been pulled one goal earlier. Bear & Burroughs are an awful pair. Never thought I'd say this, but Stillman is a better option than Burroughs right now. Don't even get me started on the Kuzmenko treatment.

Don't have much else to add. I'm sure analytics looked good for the Canucks tonight simply due to Tampa coasting all night.
unfortunately for Burroughs they sat him down when he was playing good and then follow that up with throwing him on his off side when his goalies cant stop a beach ball. He's lost it for sure and has been responsible for 4-5 goals since the road trip started and yes your probably right he should sit but Stillman is still worse he's just not having to play RD after getting jerked around with no one to bail him out

otherwise agree with everything

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Fair enough, I don’t know, I just feel the way I do

I could understand the appeal if you are just looking to get totally hammered for a good nights fun with the buddies but I go to hockey games to watch the product.

I guess it's like how I go to Mariners games despite finding baseball incredibly boring.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010

“the way these two are treating Boudreau is an embarrassment and these two should be ashamed, especially Aquilini”

“I think Canucks ownership and management are living in a fantasy world, they are extremely out of touch with this team and fan base”
Right on the Button

• Haha
Reactions: Grantham

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
unfortunately for Burroughs they sat him down when he was playing good and then follow that up with throwing him on his off side when his goalies cant stop a beach ball. He's lost it for sure and has been responsible for 4-5 goals since the road trip started and yes your probably right he should sit but Stillman is still worse he's just not having to play RD after getting jerked around with no one to bail him out

otherwise agree with everything

Yup. Boudreau treated him like a #7/8 defenseman and he's regressed to it being true.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Best part of this game was the fart, and #fartgate that followed. Then Stamkos's 500th goal.

I concur, best part was the fart.

Worst part was how Fredolini used Gino to shield himself from reality.

Or it can be the other way around, now that I think about it.

Reactions: rypper

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I mean seems pretty easy for me, take him off 1st PP slow down his goals knowing he'd get more easy enough as you negotiate to sign him.
It was painfully obvious they were doing this but they realized Kuzmenko really was buzzing too hard to ignore. Put him on the PP1 once and he scores, then he gets moved up with Petey.

He literally willed himself up the lineup despite coaches and management lmao

Reactions: Indiana

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Saids the guy who supported Benning all these years.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Bolts fans themselves were willing to trade him

I think it was on Canucks talk where they said if it wasn't for his NMC, and refusal to waive, that he'd be playing for another team now.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The difference was goaltending tonight, pure and simple. Martin has really faded after a decent start. His rebound control has been poor; and he doesn't seem to be reading the play very well.

Once the score reached 4-0 it was game over. They need Demko back in the worst way.

I mean, they also couldn’t score on Brian Elliott, he of the 3.17 GAA, for over 40 minutes, but yes goaltending also was not good.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
GOALTENDING!!! Score was not indicative of the game. Huge difference between the play of Demko last year and the increasingly shoddy efforts of all the goalies this year. Actually Delia hardly had shot which indicates how much of the play was in the Tampa end.

Good

Kuzmenko - near bursting a brain vessel when, with the Kumenkos in the stands, Boudreau had Boeser on the PP and Kuz down the line up. Sometimes you wonder where this coach is at (as much as I sympathize with him). Is there any thought to the future - such as hoping the guy re-signs here. As it was exploited his chance when finally put out and was the best Canuck in this game.

Miller - not perfect but he is doing so much better on the wing.

Hughes - some problems in his end (though less than others). However, was excellent offensively and with Kuzmenko lead the late charge.

Garland - should have had the puck over to Miller on the late 3rd period chance but otherwise was a buzz saw constantly pushing Tampa into errors.

Bad

OEL - looks so listless. Easily and constantly beaten one on one. Both him and Myers couldn't establish any zone of coverage around their net or get the puck out of their end during the meltdown in the first. Plays like he is trying to prevent further injury. Just dead weight over the last stretch of games and his benching has done nothing to inspire a better effort. Have to wonder if it is there anymore.

Lazar - very weak defensive and offensive effort. On the play should be in the minors. One of the reasons, although the major one is the goal tending, the team is worst this year. They dropped better players to pick up meaningless plugs like Lazar. Joshua really no better. (now a -11 on the season) 4th line is turning into a disaster. Buy out of Lazar may be best.

Boeser - atrocious defensive play. It's damn obvious at this point that Boeser is what he is - which mainly is, he not good enough to play adequately at the this level. Contract is a total joke and we are stuck with him.

Burroughs - one of his worse games as a Canuck. Continually lost inside position even after backing in on every rush. Caught way out of position on some of the goals.

Martin - play continues to be all over the place. Over-reacting to chances and pulling himself out of position. Also, getting caught between coming out to challenge the shooter and laying back so when the extra pass is made he is not totally out of position. Poor use of stick to stop passes across the crease. Confidence seems to be waning.

Others

Pettersson Didn't really have it going in this game. Missed good offensive chances and couldn't settle play in his own a zone. (-3) Even though not in top form there were points when he contributed. Being out with Boeser didn't help him.

MIchayev -didn't complete chances and brutal defense on the first goal against. Overall a disappointment this season..

Thought comment about last season fooling this management group was a good one.

BoHorvat 53

What's a god to a Kane
Dec 9, 2014
I actually enjoyed this loss; we played well and the team deserved a better result, but this team needs to lose to better it's chance at a better pick. Also really hoping we extend Kuzmenko, I still think we don't know what we have with him fully. Sign him to a bridge deal, and if we're in a similar position to what we are in right now in 3 years time the return on him probably gets better as he will be more established in the league.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad