Post-Game Talk: [GM40] Canucks lose to Penguins | 4-5 | Garland, Boeser, Hughes, Dermott

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
And I'm just f***ing tired of the excuses to inevitably do nothing and pretend it's OK.

-But fans can't handle a rebuild! (We've been in the basement for essentially 9 years now anyways)
-But we ran out of time! (No, we ran out of cap space and then you did nothing to plan to combat it)
-But we're only 2 points out of a playoff spot! (When other teams have 4 games in hand)
-But we had so many injuries (We always have and always will, other teams deal)
-But next year our prospects will get better (Growth is not linear and can not be relied upon)
-But we only missed the playoffs by like X points last year (Yeah, after we turned it on after being nominally eliminated)

But, but, but, but, but. How many of the stars need to align before they realize whatever is going on is not working? All we get are half-baked excuses and quite frankly, excuses are for losers. Which makes sense because we've been doing a whole hell of a lot of that in the last decade. The players aren't accountable to the coach, the coach has no idea what the f*** management wants from him, the management isn't accountable to the ownership because the ownership aren't even accountable to themselves. Everyone in the organization are just giving lip service to the money stream (us) to save their own sorry asses.

I'll never to stop caring about the Canucks, because I care too much about the city I was raised in and I'm proud of it. But this organization is a clown-car of unlikeable personalities and just plain and straight up losers. Quite honestly it's f***ing embarrassing that a professional sports team can be this dismissive of responsibility.
giphy.gif

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
At this point you have to start wondering if the players are emotionally checking out
I can see feeling a little bit paralyzed almost, just from the absolute absurdity that this is going on so long without anything at all happening to change literally anything at all, anything, have I said anything enough?

Reactions: Starships

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think even the play-by-play guys Shorthouse and Garrett are stunned by how poor the Canucks are defensively. It seemed that most of the night they were commenting on Canuck turnovers and odd-man rushes.

It was Shorthouse who pointed out that in the Canucks 53-year history, they'd never blown a 3-0 first period lead by the end of the same first 20 minutes. It takes a special talent to be that bad.

You really have to feel for Boudreau, who'll end his coaching career behind the bench of a team with fragile confidence and absolutely no push-back when things get tough.

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
I think even the play-by-play guys Shorthouse and Garrett are stunned by how poor the Canucks are defensively. It seemed that most of the night they were commenting on Canuck turnovers and odd-man rushes.

It was Shorthouse who pointed out that in the Canucks 53-year history, they'd never blown a 3-0 first period lead by the end of the same first 20 minutes. It takes a special talent to be that bad.

You really have to feel for Boudreau, who'll end his coaching career behind the bench of a team with fragile confidence and absolutely no push-back when things get tough.

This team quits when things are tough

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Kinda wild that it’s basically coinflip odds as to whether the team will give up 5 goals

Jay26

Jul 13, 2022
Kamloops
I agreed with people before who said that cheering for a lottery pick is pointless because this team isn't bad enough...but maybe they ARE that bad. Which is saying something given the legitimate quality they have up front.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I agreed with people before who said that cheering for a lottery pick is pointless because this team isn't bad enough...but maybe they ARE that bad. Which is saying something given the legitimate quality they have up front.
Yup. We are a 25th place team that has been rather healthy. An injury to Bo or EP would really see the tank train go full steam ahead.

Injuries will hit us soon. Pearson will draw in soon helping the tanking efforts.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The trouble is you can almost book it that the Canucks will win a bunch of games in garbage time....when they're playing some of theirf fellow lottery teams with nothing to play for. It happens every year.

And all it accomplishes is to give the 'die-hard fans with rose-colored glasses' reason to be optimistic about the next year. When in reality, all it accomplishes is to drop the team down the draft board.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
The trouble is you can almost book it that the Canucks will win a bunch of games in garbage time....when they're playing some of theirf fellow lottery teams with nothing to play for. It happens every year.

That usually tends to happen when we've made no changes. Then we'll pick like 11th and then we'll just do what we did this year except it'll be next year.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

And all it accomplishes is to give the 'die-hard fans with rose-colored glasses' reason to be optimistic about the next year. When in reality, all it accomplishes is to drop the team down the draft board.

Doesn’t matter who we pick, someone is going to post a highlight real package and be super happy about him , meanwhile he’s going to pull a Lekkermaki or whatever his name is in the WJC.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
While you will get no argument from me that we suck. I hate things like this tweet, like does it matter the Kraken are a second year team? Vegas was a 1st place team in their initial season.

This point isn't anything to do with us being good or bad and everything to do with disparaging Seattle.

I think it matters that Seattle was brutal last year despite some positives and found a way to take a huge step forward.

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I think it matters that Seattle was brutal last year despite some positives and found a way to take a huge step forward.

Regardless, it is fairly bad optics that a team can start from scratch and it takes 1 year to not perform a *little* better than a team that is "rebuilt", but by quite a sizable margin.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
It;s just gut-wrenching watching OEL try to play hockey right now. I think he cares deeply and wants to win.....but his body is just letting him down. The decline we started to see in Arizona has only accelerated in Vancouver.

It's so bad I'm beginning to believe he might not even be in the league next season.

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver

I mean couldn't that just as easily be us then? I mean either they were in a better spot to start with a clean slate, in which case its stupid to compare teams to them with the second season moniker as a negative. Or we can hope that hopeful we can do the same.

For the record I lean towards the first this wasn't suppose to sound pro-management.

Reactions: Indiana

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
At this point you have to start wondering if the players are emotionally checking out

Probably are to be honest, the coaching staff isn't helping them succeed and why would they? Bruce was brought back then got his feelings hurt when management didn't want him back in the first place, so what does he do? Be a lazy ass coach collecting checks, the coach should offer guidance and he's not doing it.

Also, this also stems from the top which is ownership.
They cannot fool these fans, whom they have robbed us for over the years of ineptitude.

It;s just gut-wrenching watching OEL try to play hockey right now. I think he cares deeply and wants to win.....but his body is just letting him down. The decline we started to see in Arizona has only accelerated in Vancouver.

It's so bad I'm beginning to believe he might not even be in the league next season.

Til this day, I have no clue why we even traded for OEL.
Guy was on his last legs in Arizona and moving him here just made it worse. He's getting paid well but his body is breaking down.

We are on the hook for that albatross of a contract.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad