Post-Game Talk: [GM40] Canucks lose to Penguins | 4-5 | Garland, Boeser, Hughes, Dermott

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
WHEN: January 10th, 4:00PM PST
WHERE: PPG Paints Arena, Pittsburgh, PA, USA
TV: Sportsnet Pacific
RADIO: Sportsnet 650

Canucks Line-Up:

Kuzmenko-Petey-Miller
Mikheyev-Bo-Brock
Garland-Dries-Lockwood
Joshua-Lazar-Studnicka

Hughes-Bear
OEL-Meyers
Dermott-Schenn

Martin

Penguins Line-Up:

TBD

DeSmith

Last edited:
Reactions: supercanuck

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
I did a double-take at the 7:00PM PST - it's a 4:00PM start. :laugh:

Penguins are in shambles right now, but they still have enough fire power to strike fear into the hearts of our patchwork quilt of structure, defense and goaltending.

No idea what you're talking about. :P

This is why I put it in the title.

Reactions: theguardianII

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Can't think of anything.

Well JR and Allvin should know these guys well.

Canuck players are auditioning for other teams so a wide open game.

13 goals scored? I doubt it is a defensive struggle.

Pens by 3, Malkin kills them

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
was more fun when we could count on boeser to drop a hatty on matt murray

give me a 8-7 game with crosby scoring all 8 to pull within one of ovechkin

or something, idk

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Havent really watched many games lately, kinda sucks, just so hard to care when they win or lose anymore. I guess hoping for Horvat, Brock Boeser and Garland points to increase their values. If Kuzmenko is gonna bounce then would like his pts to go up too to increase the value for a trade

For long term guys like Mikheyev and Hughes, get some points too I guess but meh

Would like Pettersson to cool off to reduce the value but I think it doesnt really matter at this point

Sharkbomb

Jul 20, 2022
Lose baby lose. Improve those lottery odds and convince ownership that this is not a salvageable situation.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
Havent really watched many games lately, kinda sucks, just so hard to care when they win or lose anymore. I guess hoping for Horvat, Brock Boeser and Garland points to increase their values. If Kuzmenko is gonna bounce then would like his pts to go up too to increase the value for a trade

For long term guys like Mikheyev and Hughes, get some points too I guess but meh

Would like Pettersson to cool off to reduce the value but I think it doesnt really matter at this point
Same. Exactly the same. It's so tiring to have to struggle to find something to care about, game-by-game (season after season). Hey! It'd be good if this player did well so his trade value went up, but not so well that he helped the team to a win! So excited to watch and see!

Reactions: M2Beezy

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
Damn I would like to see some trades. Where we get draft picks and prospects, and lower are cap. I guess I live in a fantasy world.

And would love to know what has actually been offered for OEL, Meyers, Horvat, Miller, Garland and Kuzmenko. AK that should really draw some interest, since no one would need to shed salary to acquire him.

As far as this game goes, I hate wanting for the Canucks to lose, but really all I care about is improving our draft position at this point. JB & FA have really screwed this team for the next few years.

Can't decide whether or not I want Podkilzin in Abby or with the big boys.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Damn I would like to see some trades. Where we get draft picks and prospects, and lower are cap. I guess I live in a fantasy world.

And would love to know what has actually been offered for OEL, Meyers, Horvat, Miller, Garland and Kuzmenko. AK that should really draw some interest, since no one would need to shed salary to acquire him.

As far as this game goes, I hate wanting for the Canucks to lose, but really all I care about is improving our draft position at this point. JB & FA have really screwed this team for the next few years.

Can't decide whether or not I want Podkilzin in Abby or with the big boys.
I'd keep him in Abby, it's not like he's dominating down there. Hog by all accounts has been the one who's standing out.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Same. Exactly the same. It's so tiring to have to struggle to find something to care about, game-by-game (season after season). Hey! It'd be good if this player did well so his trade value went up, but not so well that he helped the team to a win! So excited to watch and see!
Yep. Hard to even want the tank cause it wont happen properly and wont matter anyways

The Benning regime brought so much apathy to the franchise and unfortunately after he was finally removed the apathy has gotten even worse

So in February 2024 will we be at a new low?

What about the summer of 2025?

I think my fandom is being tested pretty hard right now :(

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Neither Martin or Delia cant make a save, and both of them are not NHL caliber goalies...Your expectations for a good result have to be low.

You can literally spot the opposition two goals a game, where one of our goalies gives up a clean shot over the shoulder glove side, or a ridiculous rebound.

Nothing breaks the confidence of a team quicker than shitty goaltending..Hard to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: Kreator

Canuckle1970

Mar 24, 2010
Yeah, we're out of it without stellar goaltending. We'll win a few and lose a bunch. We might win in Pittsburgh tomorrow night - nothing would surprise me.

Happy 68th Birthday to Bruce Boudreau!

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Neither Martin or Delia can make a save, and both of them are not NHL caliber goalies...Your expectations for a good result have to be low.

You can literally spot the opposition two goals a game, where one of our goalies gives up a clean shot over the shoulder glove side, or a ridiculous rebound.

Nothing breaks the confidence of a team quicker than shitty goaltending..Hard to watch.

Maybe not......but did you see the chances this Canuck team coughed up in this game? Delia and Martin could have been the second coming of Jacques Plante and Martin Brodeur, and it wouldn't have made any difference.

Canucks have allowed 155 goals in 38 games. And their PK has flirted with dead last in the league for the entire season. The last time I did math, that works out to about four goals against every game. You aren't going to outscore your opponent very often when they put up a four-spot on you game in and game out.

The goalies haven't been great...... but they're hardly the reason this team is two games below .500.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Neither Martin or Delia can make a save, and both of them are not NHL caliber goalies...Your expectations for a good result have to be low.

You think it's a problem when our goaltenders are making Jonsson-Fjalby and DeMelo look like Ovechkin and Matthews?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
You think it's a problem when our goaltenders are making Jonsson-Fjalby and DeMelo look like Ovechkin and Matthews?
Nope it’s all the goalie’s fault, not the defence. OEL - Myers are a bonafide top 4 pairing and Bear is a quality #2. The defence was built well and it’s only the goalies who are the issue. Not defence or coaching. Only goalies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad