Post-Game Talk: [GM40] Canucks lose to Penguins | 4-5 | Garland, Boeser, Hughes, Dermott

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
I'm just gonna say it - I hate hearing Myers' name when he touches the puck now. Reminds me of what a garbo contract that was the minute it was signed. Before, at least there was some utility even though that utility was flawed.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
How do you get good defensemen these days other than drafting? Nobody is going to trade theirs. Drafting and developing good d men takes at least 3 or 4 years. You don't want to trade away our best players like Hughes Pettersson Kuzmenko, but what good are they if they don't have the supporting cast? We are kinda in a bad spot here. The way this team looks, it's rebuild now. or be a mediocre team for the next 5 or 6 years, then rebuild.
Multiple top 4 defensemen are traded every off-season for various reasons. Marino and Romanov got dealt last off-season.

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Lowered expectations.
#historywasmade

Although, this is guaranteed to happen:

- get absolutely demolished in January, looks promising for the tank
- Demko comes back, Boudreau might get fired, new coach and goalie bump pushes us to wildcard territory
- Bo, Kuz, Schenn not traded for the push
- miss playoffs by 4 points
You forgot “draft a small, one dimensional winger at #15 in the draft”

Reverend Mayhem

Lowly Serf/Reluctant Cuckold
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC
And I'm just f***ing tired of the excuses to inevitably do nothing and pretend it's OK.

-But fans can't handle a rebuild! (We've been in the basement for essentially 9 years now anyways)
-But we ran out of time! (No, we ran out of cap space and then you did nothing to plan to combat it)
-But we're only 2 points out of a playoff spot! (When other teams have 4 games in hand)
-But we had so many injuries (We always have and always will, other teams deal)
-But next year our prospects will get better (Growth is not linear and can not be relied upon)
-But we only missed the playoffs by like X points last year (Yeah, after we turned it on after being nominally eliminated)

But, but, but, but, but. How many of the stars need to align before they realize whatever is going on is not working? All we get are half-baked excuses and quite frankly, excuses are for losers. Which makes sense because we've been doing a whole hell of a lot of that in the last decade. The players aren't accountable to the coach, the coach has no idea what the f*** management wants from him, the management isn't accountable to the ownership because the ownership aren't even accountable to themselves. Everyone in the organization are just giving lip service to the money stream (us) to save their own sorry asses.

I'll never to stop caring about the Canucks, because I care too much about the city I was raised in and I'm proud of it. But this organization is a clown-car of unlikeable personalities and just plain and straight up losers. Quite honestly it's f***ing embarrassing that a professional sports team can be this dismissive of responsibility.

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Early three goal outburst against a goalie apparently not ready to play and late rally masks the one sided nature of this one. Way Pens were able abuse our defense when they began their push illustrated the mess on our back end.

Good

Garland - was retrieving and turning over pucks all game. Nice opening goal.

Pettersson - did everything short of putting away chances. Made himself a factor nearly every shift.

Bad

Myers - another sloppy game. Him and OEL again couldn't handle the tough match up. Spent much of the game deep in their end desperately trying to cope (which they mostly didn't)

Mikhayev - made a couple of late plays but otherwise not effective. Both him and Kuzmenko couldn't get anything going. Both seem to play better at home.

Hughes - Somehow ended up a +3 but he was bumped off the puck and out of the play far too often. Neither him nor Bear were good in their zone and neither could get up ice much to support offense while 5 on 5.

Dries - can chip in with a goal now and then, but hasn't got the speed or size to play regularly at this level.

Miller - another erratic effort. Threw away much of the two man advantage with poor shooting and overly hurried plays.

Others

Martin - made some frantic saves and lucky at times when Pittsburg kept miraculously flubbing open chances. Just throwing himself around and in doing so made some good, or at least lucky, saves. But that type of goal tending can't work in the long term.

Boeser - nice touch on his goal and good effort to stop the EN goal. Was better in this game.

4th line - overall established a good amount of O-zone time.

Lockwood - did not accomplish much didn't look out of place. His speed contrasted with other Canucks helps show the teams lack of speed. Has to pass team mates to fight his way back on the back check.

If you are on the tank watch, you had to fear late in the game that somehow the team would blow this loss. I guess, thankfully, team was unable to come back all the way.

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
First ten seconds in, he mentions cap flexibility! WTF!!

It would be interesting to see the reaction Arizona's front office had during the trade negotiations. Basically trading an untradeable contract and getting a first round pick in return. Mind-boggling.
I was furious then, I am resignedly furious now. It was such an immediately awful, cynical trade that ownership should never have allowed through.
We could have been out from under Benning's blunders already. Instead we have this pile of horse crap.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
I was furious then, I am resignedly furious now. It was such an immediately awful, cynical trade that ownership should never have allowed through.
We could have been out from under Benning's blunders already. Instead we have this pile of horse crap.
I texted a friend of mine when I heard the trade and asked him to please not bring up the Canucks for the next while.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
Who would have thought hiring a 89 year old President and a 86 year old coach to rebuild a team wouldn’t work.

Certainly not I.

Reactions: Indiana

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
First ten seconds in, he mentions cap flexibility! WTF!!

It would be interesting to see the reaction Arizona's front office had during the trade negotiations. Basically trading an untradeable contract and getting a first round pick in return. Mind-boggling.
I don’t know how they could even get through the trade call without laughing.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
They look like they are still asleep after requesting a late check out.

It’s pretty easy to see they are trash. Players know it. They are just showing up and going thru the motions. Look at the 30-4-4 bruins ….. every player to a man knows they can’t beat teams like that so who gives a f***. There is no belief in this group nor should there be.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad