Post-Game Talk: [GM27] Canucks defeat Wild | 2-0 (Hoglander & Blueger) | DeShutout

B-rock

Jun 29, 2003
Vancouver
So is pettersson lying to the team about how he feels or is the team being negligent letting one of their top commodities ay hurt
He’s throwing his body around out there more than he ever has in the past so I find it odd that he might be playing hurt.

I suppose it could be a wrist / hand thing cuz he doesn’t shoot at all these days but it doesn’t explain why he can’t stay on his feet. He had that wide open chance in front and flubbed it cuz he was falling again - It looked like he lost his balance as he was about to shoot and not trying to adjust his angle on the shot. 🤷‍♂️

Was he injured a couple years ago when he started off the year so poorly, can’t remember if it was injury or just him being a headcase?

Slow starts are definitely a pattern with him over the years.

Reactions: andora

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
It seems obvious that Pettersson is nursing some kind of injury. He started off amazing and said playing in Vancouver was fun again. Then his play fell off suddenly.

There's lots of reasons why he would try and play through an injury. He's still better than whatever else they could call up from the farm. He's bet on himself in this contract year and doesn't want to miss a bunch of time. Maybe he needs surgery and wants to wait until the offseason.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He’s throwing his body around out there more than he ever has in the past so I find it odd that he might be playing hurt.

I suppose it could be a wrist / hand thing cuz he doesn’t shoot at all these days but it doesn’t explain why he can’t stay on his feet. He had that wide open chance in front and flubbed it cuz he was falling again - It looked like he lost his balance as he was about to shoot and not trying to adjust his angle on the shot. 🤷‍♂️

Was he injured a couple years ago when he started off the year so poorly, can’t remember if it was injury or just him being a headcase?

Slow starts are definitely a pattern with him over the years.
I think what we are seeing is him trying to be an all around player for this system.. i think he is focused on solely being responsible first then playmaking second

I think this can affect a players confidence offensively when it becomes the secondary focus - even to the extent of if i shoot here and miss it rings around and potential break back

I think another 20 games or so while the players become more honed to this style (outside the system players already taking to it) we will see a bit more out of guys like pettersson kuzmenko and even mikheyev

Passed the puck to Boeser and then skated to the bench and the line change was happening as Hoglander scored. Hronek got the + instead.
Damn.. + $25,000

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
I'll say it again.

Joshua-Blueger-Garland is consistently our best line.

Miller-Boeser second.
Yes. They've been carrying the team at 5v5 for a month. Really effective. I'd be quite hesitant to trade Garland for basically nothing but cap space at this point, he's the key ingredient there to a 3rd line that is dragging the team along.

For the game, obviously they got speedbagged in the first, but after that they played really a very competent, professional game the rest of the way. Hopefully something to build on.

I'd like to see Hoglander with Pettersson. Give Petey that sparkplug. Put Mikheyev with Miller if they want to use JT in a matchup role.

docbenton

Dec 6, 2014
It seems obvious that Pettersson is nursing some kind of injury. He started off amazing and said playing in Vancouver was fun again. Then his play fell off suddenly.

There's lots of reasons why he would try and play through an injury. He's still better than whatever else they could call up from the farm. He's bet on himself in this contract year and doesn't want to miss a bunch of time. Maybe he needs surgery and wants to wait until the offseason.

I didn't really think he started off amazing, he was basically playing the same game but just getting lucky and getting points i.e. off deflections of bad passes he was making. If he was injured, he probably wouldn't be trying to hit everybody, like another poster said.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I didn't really think he started off amazing, he was basically playing the same game but just getting lucky and getting points i.e. off deflections of bad passes he was making. If he was injured, he probably wouldn't be trying to hit everybody, like another poster said.
Hard to claim he was leading the league in scoring because of luck. That's some Matt Murray "weird bounces" kind of rationalization.

The ability to continue throwing hits would depend on the injury. You see it all the time afer the playoffs are over where news comes out that some player was playing through some debilitating injury but continued to gut it out and play hard.

I cringe when I hear people getting the pitchforks out because they don't know what's going on and let their own bias and personality fill in the blanks.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Well first part imo is bunk.. if he plays 80 games and say .45 primary points / 60 or plays 55 games and get .45 primary points / 60 .. he is getting paid the same. Injuries are injuries and unless you are missing 40 games every year dont really matter - your production in the areas that get looked at matter

Second, all that.. yeah not buying it
? Pettersson? Contract year.
That was the head shot I mentioned. After the reverse hit he just stood there for a few seconds and skated to the bench then shaking his head. The hit was on the same side of the ice as the boards so not seen by most of the team. He played out that game and part of the next one then was off with "an upper body" injury for most of the next months until someone says wrist.

Now that would not be the first concussion he had, he got one in Florida his first year. He may have had others. Each time the next one is easier. He is young so he will recover.

Daniel Sedin took most of a year to get back to his form, Naslund never did, he played but was never the same.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
? Pettersson? Contract year.

That was the head shot I mentioned. After the reverse hit he just stood there for a few seconds and skated to the bench then shaking his head. The hit was on the same side of the ice as the boards so not seen by most of the team. He played out that game and part of the next one then was off with "an upper body" injury for most of the next months until someone says wrist.

Now that would not be the first concussion he had, he got one in Florida his first year. He may have had others. Each time the next one is easier. He is young so he will recover.

Daniel Sedin took most of a year to get back to his form, Naslund never did, he played but was never the same.
pettersson contract year? ??

Reactions: theguardianII

quat

Faking Life
Apr 4, 2003
Duncan

I thought he got hit in the leg with a Myers point shot a while back, just before he started struggling.

?

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
Egads we were awful to start that game. I get having ups and downs over 60 minutes, but I don't understand why our bad has to be so horribad. Like not even a shot attempt in the first half of the period? They looked like they didn't belong in the same league as Minny for the first 10-15 minutes, and this happens pretty regularly with this team.

Final 40 minutes, team looked as good as they have over this .500 stretch. Hopefully that leads to putting a few wins together here.

Felt Big Zaddy's first 4 periods in the orca were pretty underwhelming. Settled down a bit so see where his play goes as he gets comfortable.

Think Kuze needs to be back with EP. Need both to get going, so put them with Laff or Hog and ride it out.

Awesome to see Casey play so well after a long drought between starts.

Enough with the win one, lose won. Let's finish this home stand with points in every game and get some mo going.

Regress2TheMeme

Mar 14, 2018
I thought he got hit in the leg with a Myers point shot a while back, just before he started struggling.

?
That might be it. I'd speculate it's some sort of core or wrist issue because he's been passing up shots. His shot is usually lethal and the dual threat of shoot or pass is a big part of what makes him so hard to defend.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
One thing I've noticed during the games is that while DeSmith has done a great job, he's not great at rebound control, lots of pucks end up back into the center of the ice. Demko is clinical in this regard, almost everything gets smothered or ends up in the corner.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Yes. They've been carrying the team at 5v5 for a month. Really effective. I'd be quite hesitant to trade Garland for basically nothing but cap space at this point, he's the key ingredient there to a 3rd line that is dragging the team along.

For the game, obviously they got speedbagged in the first, but after that they played really a very competent, professional game the rest of the way. Hopefully something to build on.

I'd like to see Hoglander with Pettersson. Give Petey that sparkplug. Put Mikheyev with Miller if they want to use JT in a matchup role.

This is why I've never been on the trade Garland team. It may not seem efficient to have him on the 3rd line, but he's been proven to drive play with low salary players on his line. That line has a total cost of $8m, which is reasonable for a 3rd line. The only negative I'd say is that you'd like him to be a strong PKer if he's going to play that role. It's a bit curious that he's never really been tried in that role.

Reactions: alternate and quat

bossram

Sep 25, 2013
Victoria
This is why I've never been on the trade Garland team. It may not seem efficient to have him on the 3rd line, but he's been proven to drive play with low salary players on his line. That line has a total cost of $8m, which is reasonable for a 3rd line. The only negative I'd say is that you'd like him to be a strong PKer if he's going to play that role. It's a bit curious that he's never really been tried in that role.
Me neither. I've never advocated for a Garland trade. He's an effective player on the ice, and they aren't going to get back a real positive value asset in a trade, so why bother? They'd still need to replace him with another quality forward.

I feel like small guys just aren't typically viewed as "defensive" players, so they don't get picked for PK duties.

Reactions: quat

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Me neither. I've never advocated for a Garland trade. He's an effective player on the ice, and they aren't going to get back a real positive value asset in a trade, so why bother? They'd still need to replace him with another quality forward.

I feel like small guys just aren't typically viewed as "defensive" players, so they don't get picked for PK duties.

I'd actually love to see them try Kuzmenko with him. Garland could use a guy who can bury more of the chances that he generates.

Jyrki

Benning has been purged! VANmen!
May 24, 2011
溫哥華
It's just awkward to have a guy paid almost 5 million who can't really slide up the lineup effectively. Garland has a unique value proposition because he generates offense when typically there isn't any to be had, but there's also an opportunity cost of not having that cap space to be spent on someone who can make the Top 6 better.

We all liked Chris Higgins, but would we have liked him as much if he was being paid 4+ mil? probably not.

Reactions: alternate

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Ya, that is the effect of bad cap space. What were they thinking when they bought out Parise AND Suter at the same time resulting in 14.7 million in dead cap space? The Canucks will suffer something similar but smaller.

they were thinking it was the only way to keep kaprizov and they've got a bunch of guys on good deals to get them through the next two years at which point they'll be in incredible shape capwise

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
they were thinking it was the only way to keep kaprizov and they've got a bunch of guys on good deals to get them through the next two years at which point they'll be in incredible shape capwise
Yeah they are in great shape.. can pay rossi and faber whatever is needed.. re sign middleton if required and still have a rediculous number

For whoever the GM is at that time could you imagine waking up that morning when they are finally off the books how excited you would be

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
Yeah they are in great shape.. can pay rossi and faber whatever is needed.. re sign middleton if required and still have a rediculous number

For whoever the GM is at that time could you imagine waking up that morning when they are finally off the books how excited you would be

yeah in two years they'll have:

kaprizov (9m/1y)
boldy (7m/5y)
zuccarello (4.25m/1y)
eriksson ek (5.25m/4y)
foligno (4m/3y)
gaudreau (2.1m/3y)
hartman (4m/2y)
rossi (rfa)

spurgeon (~7.6m/2y)
brodin (6m/3y)
faber (rfa)

gustavsson (3.75m/1y)

they'll have like 40m in cap space for 10 players and they'll fill some of those spots with elcs like ohgren, yurov, peart, lambos and lorenz

honestly if rossi and faber are for real they probably have the best long term (2-5 year) outlook in the league

Reactions: andora

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
yeah in two years they'll have:

kaprizov (9m/1y)
boldy (7m/5y)
zuccarello (4.25m/1y)
eriksson ek (5.25m/4y)
foligno (4m/3y)
gaudreau (2.1m/3y)
hartman (4m/2y)
rossi (rfa)

spurgeon (~7.6m/2y)
brodin (6m/3y)
faber (rfa)

gustavsson (3.75m/1y)

they'll have like 40m in cap space for 10 players and they'll fill some of those spots with elcs like ohgren, yurov, peart, lambos and lorenz

honestly if rossi and faber are for real they probably have the best long term (2-5 year) outlook in the league
Whats that..53 million on maybe a 90 million cap... lol

Bitch imma go shopping

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
yeah even if faber and rossi get like 20m they'll still be able to offer like 15m to draisaitl or go after marner + theodore or rantanen + ekblad
Drai to minny would be funny to watch oil fans reactions

But he still gets kaprizov boldy and rossi (who i think is legit)

Edmonton could try mcmarner or mcblad

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3