Post-Game Talk: [GM27] Canucks defeat Wild | 2-0 (Hoglander & Blueger) | DeShutout

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Pat Maroon is the worlds most cowardly weakling, and also the luckiest man on Earth to not get an instigator penalty.

I hope he signs a big contract with Minnesota with an NMC, and it sinks the franchise.

Reactions: nucks88 and Regal

oceanchild

Jul 5, 2009
Whitehorse, YT
Zadorov vs Soucy is an interesting comparison. Both huge but Zadorov is more physical and faster. Soucy seems to be a smarter and more calculating player. Both have hit double digits in goal scoring before.
Im hoping the plan is having them be the third pair and that combination works well. With providing depth to move up the lineup in the event of injury. But we are two top 4 defensemen away from that being the case. I had hoped Bear would be our number 6, but I suspect he will play with Hughes should he sign. Myers needs to go next to free up cap for Bear and a man additional top 6 forward.

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Watched half been busy but liked last half of game hopefully the team builds on a win.

brock hughes007

Sep 12, 2019
victoria
It is painful watching Pettersson skate.
Who is he playing with,,2 3rd liners..I spent a lot of this game just watching Myers play.
Just curious if he has vision problems,or is it just stupidity. 2 times on the same shift.He has the puck on his stick,and throws it right up the middle,only to be intercepted. Then he does it again,same shift.Stop playing this guy please,please.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I guess they don't ask at the end of the year 'how you won' but how many ROW's you have. But that first period was about as ugly a 20 minutes as the Canucks have played this season. It was reminiscent of some the starts they had under Green and Boudreau.

Their best period was the second; but were under siege for stretches of the third period. I would certainly help if the Canucks could ever finish off a breakaway--Boeser, Joshua and Miller in stone cold--but couldn't convert.

Shaping up as a brilliant move by Allvin, picking up Casey Demith for Pearson and a third. Demko has looked fatigued in the last few outings--and DeSmith is a more than capable backup.

Reactions: Indiana

LemonSauceD

The Negotiator
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Zadorov and Soucy are fine on the left side but if you don’t re sign Zadorov, you have to go out and get 2 legit top 4 defenseman. It wouldn’t make sense to go after yet another 4/5 defenseman while still needing another top 4 guy

Reactions: SeawaterOnIce

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
DeSmith was a reactionary scramble monster in the first. In the pre-game, I hoped for an 80's era coked up Grant Fuhr-ian performance and that's what we got! (With no assumptions of performance or mindset altering substances having any effect on the outcome)

DeSmith looked amazing with black pads and helmet setup. Really freaking sharp Casey! Good call mang, you rocked it.

kanucks25

Chris Tanev #1 Fan
Nov 29, 2013
Surrey, BC
CDS was amazing to start, at least a couple times he shut the door on a Wild player that seemed to have 3-4 clean whacks at the puck right on the doorstep with no Canuck in sight.

The very definition of a goalie keeping you in it. Could have been 3-0 pretty early and it could have been over at that point.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Soucy gets beat in ways that don’t stand out because they aren’t egregious weird plays.

Really do like how imposing Zadorov is in front of the net. I have no issue paying one 4/5 guy, which is why I like Soucy.

But agree with @m9 about how Zadorov needs to look like a clear 4 rather than someone teetering on that edge.

I do wonder if Hughes is so good and carries so many minutes that you could work with two 4/5 guys behind. Especially two guys who would be playing more defensive/PK minutes like we have with Zadorov/Soucy.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Oh my.
First a stat I found weird, Myers got an assist but his +/- is 0, WTF?

A goalie steal. Who would have thought a tired team would start off with such domination..

So Tocchet is preaching fast hockey but then slows the game down. According to IMac, Tocchet's game plan, low event hockey.

Luck.
Win one Lose one, Win one.
The Twin Towers have only been on the ice for 3 goals against.

Tocchet wasn't happy with the 6-5 loss, he can't be thrilled about the SLLLllooooww wait 15 min before testing the other goalie game last night.

These games must be revealing the warts to Allvin/Rutherford.

Hmm, I wonder if Perry and Kessel will make any difference?

I thought this .500 hockey would guarantee a playoff hockey but this division and conference is starting to become a monster quickly.

IT was BORING, it took the goalie to steal it, low brow hockey.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
Soucy gets beat in ways that don’t stand out because they aren’t egregious weird plays.

Really do like how imposing Zadorov is in front of the net. I have no issue paying one 4/5 guy, which is why I like Soucy.

But agree with @m9 about how Zadorov needs to look like a clear 4 rather than someone teetering on that edge.
Isn't odd that really big guys look so slow, but aren't. Zadorov will get better with time. Careful about Soucy, he has had his bell rung a few times.
Kuzmenko - no one can complain about the effort and he did set up some chances with some good moves along the end boards. Some of those plays should have produced a goal but the team did not show good finish around the net in this game.
He was one of the Canucks that was noticeable when on the ice, he made plays but his line mates seemed surprised.
Difference between the last two games is the Wild can't generate offense nearly as well as the Devils.
Ya, that is the effect of bad cap space. What were they thinking when they bought out Parise AND Suter at the same time resulting in 14.7 million in dead cap space? The Canucks will suffer something similar but smaller.
The Prince with another absolute stinker.

His value is under 10M per right now. Around 8.5m I would say
Ys, his game looks conflicted but with 34 points and trending to another 100 point season he will be expecting over 11 mil.

Reactions: Ghetty Green

Bobby9

Feb 10, 2019
Ys, his game looks conflicted but with 34 points and trending to another 100 point season he will be expecting over 11 mil.
If we give EP40 11M plus we might as well pack it in.

Great hockey IQ, strong skill set however he is not a leader on the ice. Cannot be the franchise piece.

Hughes, okay I can see that. JT on the ice, for sure. EP is not who can LEAD the team to a cup.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
If we give EP40 11M plus we might as well pack it in.

Great hockey IQ, strong skill set however he is not a leader on the ice. Cannot be the franchise piece.

Hughes, okay I can see that. JT on the ice, for sure. EP is not who can LEAD the team to a cup.
Well he certainly isn't a player who seems to take playing without a contract to well. Most explode in a contract year.

His game has changed under Tocchet's board battle, staples and dump and pray system.

He doesn't seem to be a player that thrives under this system but like I posted he still looks like he has post concussion symptoms and hitting won't help.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
So is pettersson lying to the team about how he feels or is the team being negligent letting one of their top commodities ay hurt
He is in his contract year. The more games/points the bigger his deal and increased value.
Post concussion symptoms are easily hidden by players, he might not even realize that's what he has. Long covid could have similar mild symptoms too.
But I have noticed ever since a reverse hit where he got an elbow to the head, he left the game and missed several weeks that year and when he came back he resembled D.Sedin and Naslund with diminished play for awhile. remember when folks were talking about trading him, that was just after he came back for a few months. He also shakes his head after a hit every now and then, a sign he is clearing the cobwebs maybe.
There is not much the team can do if he isn't answering the questions. They could just bench him but that could send the wrong message and if he refutes he has a problem.
Buffalo couldn't force Eichel to use their doctors so ....

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
He is in his contract year. The more games/points the bigger his deal and increased value.
Post concussion symptoms are easily hidden by players, he might not even realize that's what he has. Long covid could have similar mild symptoms too.
But I have noticed ever since a reverse hit where he got an elbow to the head, he left the game and missed several weeks that year and when he came back he resembled D.Sedin and Naslund with diminished play for awhile. remember when folks were talking about trading him, that was just after he came back for a few months. He also shakes his head after a hit every now and then, a sign he is clearing the cobwebs maybe.
There is not much the team can do if he isn't answering the questions. They could just bench him but that could send the wrong message and if he refutes he has a problem.
Buffalo couldn't force Eichel to use their doctors so ....
Well first part imo is bunk.. if he plays 80 games and say .45 primary points / 60 or plays 55 games and get .45 primary points / 60 .. he is getting paid the same. Injuries are injuries and unless you are missing 40 games every year dont really matter - your production in the areas that get looked at matter

Second, all that.. yeah not buying it

• Wow
Reactions: theguardianII

Baby Pettersson

Mar 8, 2014
Saskatoon
Isn't odd that really big guys look so slow, but aren't. Zadorov will get better with time. Careful about Soucy, he has had his bell rung a few times.

He was one of the Canucks that was noticeable when on the ice, he made plays but his line mates seemed surprised.

Ya, that is the effect of bad cap space. What were they thinking when they bought out Parise AND Suter at the same time resulting in 14.7 million in dead cap space? The Canucks will suffer something similar but smaller.

14 mill in dead cap. That's insane!

Reactions: theguardianII

thekernel

Apr 11, 2011
I thought Tocchet and DeSmith described the outcome pretty well - "managed the game", and "took care of the house". Minnesota was flying in the first and had us on our heels, and got the bulk of their high danger chances off of it, but once we survived that and got a lead, we never really let them into the game.

One thing I'm impressed with this team is how we can hold leads without taking penalties. So many times in the previous years where we'd get ahead and just let another team back into the game. I thought the last two periods were clean, obviously Wild put a few pucks on with their net empty, but overall they didn't have many significant chances in the last 40 minutes -- and taking no penalties with the lead was a massive help.

Eriksson Ek is a goober. Guy is just a casual interference machine. Real Anders Lee energy.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
De Smith has been a great pick up. He held the team in after a poor start and then from the second on I thought the Canucks were the better team and could have had a couple more goals.
I think the coaching staff has been overplaying Demko recently after they started off the season giving De Smith a fair share of games. We probably win that New Jersey game with De Smith in net. They need to do a better job going forward of reducing Demko’s workload so that he’s on top of his game.

Reactions: tyhee

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad