Post-Game Talk: [GM27] Canucks defeat Wild | 2-0 (Hoglander & Blueger) | DeShutout

Bonham

Nov 24, 2008
Victoria, BC
Horrible first period but then they settled in. Much better effort than the New Jersey game, especially on the backend.

Loving the Miller line. Hogs is such a little shit disturber in front of the net. They've been fun to watch.

Fourth line was great as well and were out late in the game. Thought it was Garland's best game in a while. Drew a couple penalties and that backhand saucer to spring Joshua was smooth as butter. Canucks need him to play like this.

The DeSmith trade was unreal. He gives the team a chance every time he starts.

Now I want the Ohtani news to drop so I can care about hockey again.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
Zadorov is definitely a smarter player than Myers but I don’t know what that means for how much I’d pay him. He’s more talented than Soucy though.

Decision to me comes down to if you're comfortable with a Hughes/Soucy/Zadorov left side for the next few seasons. If not, can't tie yourself into another 4/5 LHD.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
Zadorov is definitely a smarter player than Myers but I don’t know what that means for how much I’d pay him. He’s more talented than Soucy though.

Zadorov vs Soucy is an interesting comparison. Both huge but Zadorov is more physical and faster. Soucy seems to be a smarter and more calculating player. Both have hit double digits in goal scoring before.

AlainVigneaultsGum

Holidays in two days
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2012
Calgary, AB
Good game. First was obviously pretty bad but they did well to get it together for the second.

CDS is a stud. Ditto Hog. Petey's still off but he's setting guys up and creating chances. Z was good.

Reactions: quat

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
1702015963688.jpeg

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
First 12 minutes or so were horrible and we were lucky not to lose this game by coming out so flat. Last two periods were very solid.

Garland’s best game of the season and he was the best Canuck outside of the goalie. Really impressive performance, created the 2-0 goal, should have drawn 4 penalties (instead drew only 2), created a bunch of other chances, busted his ass defensively. That whole line was good but Garland really carried it and if he can consistently bring that sort of effort he’s worth his contract.

DeSmith obviously outstanding. As good a performance from a backup as you’ll see.

Juulsen was solid today. Credit where credit is due.

Pettersson is still struggling and the biggest difference in this WLWL streak from stringing some results together is the non-star performance we’re getting from a superstar C.

Zadorov much better after a pretty weak game against NJ.

Hoglander was … pretty good, but not as good as some of the reviews here. Multiple poor defensive plays early and was one of the bigger culprits for the poor start.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
good solid low event win

de smith is just a gem. really impressive how he was totally ready to play from puck drop in that first period after so long on the pine.

glad to see garland finally getting points.

Petey But Really Jim

I lejdjejejejejjejejjdjdjjdjdjdndndnnddndhdjdjdndd
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
Zadorov vs Soucy is an interesting comparison. Both huge but Zadorov is more physical and faster. Soucy seems to be a smarter and more calculating player. Both have hit double digits in goal scoring before.
Yeah how about call me when Zadorov is out there dropping no look back door tap-in dimes. I don't know why I'm being hostile.

• Haha
Reactions: Indiana and Vector

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
Glad for the win but need to get a bit more on the ball for the starts of games.

Need the top line and Kuzmenko to get back into it.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
Soucy gets beat in ways that don’t stand out because they aren’t egregious weird plays.

Really do like how imposing Zadorov is in front of the net. I have no issue paying one 4/5 guy, which is why I like Soucy.

But agree with @m9 about how Zadorov needs to look like a clear 4 rather than someone teetering on that edge.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Bleuger basically blamed the coaching for the slow start without realizing it. He the slow start was because of jitters and players not wanting to make mistakes.

Reactions: Indiana

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Best goal tending effort in a while. DeSmith. unlike the other night with Demko, held them in, in the first when the team spend much of the time in their own end. Good defensive effort and important win to keep the team on an even keel and stop any nose dive.

Good

DeSmith - got the feeling as the game went nothing was going to beat him. Very good on scrambles around his net. Pretty odvious first star.

Garland - still the frustration with his inability to get the puck in the net but he drew penalties, pushed the play in the Wild end and came back hard on the back check better than any other Canuck. Effort on the Blueger goal typified his play

Blueger - nice move on his goal and his line was best all round in this game. Think he might have got hurt late with the check into the boards.

Hoglander - adventure in the third in his end but he is providing the offensive lift the team needs

Others

Juulsen - best game to date. No star but steady and mostly did a good job of taking people off the rush and getting the puck out. Don't think anyone on the defense stood out or played great. Cole might have been the weakest but after the first they generally did a good job of moving the puck. Didn't see much in Myers game to get upset about.

Aman - was his best game this season. Needs to be at center to provide what he does best - Check.

Kuzmenko - no one can complain about the effort and he did set up some chances with some good moves along the end boards. Some of those plays should have produced a goal but the team did not show good finish around the net in this game.

Boeser - his defensive play has improved and he is moving better. Getting big minutes in most of the recent games. Nice pass on the first goal.

Pettersson - more of the same. Give him credit for his defense but his puck movement and shooting continues to be so much weaker than earlier in his career.

Team is clearly changed from the past. The run and gun team that produced goals, but allowed more against, has been replaced by a team whose best quality might be their defensive play. That's a much more reliable system than hoping a few a star players can score the team out of trouble by leaving defense to others. Canucks have been one of the worse defensive teams for a while and Tocchet needs some kudos for building a system that, while it provides you less exciting hockey, is more successful in getting wins

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad