Post-Game Talk: [GM2] Canucks defeat Oilers | 4-3 (Kuzmenko, Hoglander, Studnicka, & Lafferty) | Ugly but Effective!

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
Fwiw there was a period where Drance was weirdly pro-benning circa 2018 or something.
Interestingly, my recollection of Drance was of him being critical of Benning, to the extent that the Canucks Army commenters that hated anything negative being said about their team despised him and were delighted when he moved on.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Trash defencemen regularly play 1000 + games in the NHL.

It’s a thing.
1697432628415.png

You are right. They only play -checks- 713 games, and counting.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Interestingly, my recollection of Drance was of him being critical of Benning, to the extent that the Canucks Army commenters that hated anything negative being said about their team despised him and were delighted when he moved on.
He kind of picked that up big time after Botchford passed.. OR that was when I became aware of it. Not sure.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Back to back regulation wins over the vaunted Oilers. It doesn't get much better than that.
to start aa season. And seriously, who really predicted this?

The thing is, five-one-five the Canucks really took it to the Oilers. And were the better team. Seems obvious that McDavid and Company are going to live and die on the PP this year.

Reactions: Indiana

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
He’s no Zdeno Chara, but who is. He’s way overpaid. We all know that. He is still a decent 5/6 D man with a bit of physicality, reach obviously, can shoot the puck, has a good first pass and decent feet. He will get 2-3 million per after this deal is done. He will end up with probably 1200 games played and over 400 points while being a consummate professional and popular teammate. He is not an AHL scrub. I think will defer to GM’s that actually manage NHL teams over angry fans.

pus just means weak… You’re obviously not a ball player because it’s a fairly common burn.

I agree that he can be a decent bottom pairing dman on the right team, the Canucks don’t have a strong enough top 4 for that to be the case.

Not angry at him, it’s not his fault he’s just not built to be a positive impact player here. I don’t think he’s lazy or anything or a bad teammate. He’s just not steady enough.

On the bright side when this defense is healthy it’s less reliant on him than the last few years

Reactions: Canucker

HairyKneel

Jun 5, 2023
I agree that he can be a decent bottom pairing dman on the right team, the Canucks don’t have a strong enough top 4 for that to be the case.

Not angry at him, it’s not his fault he’s just not built to be a positive impact player here. I don’t think he’s lazy or anything or a bad teammate. He’s just not steady enough.

On the bright side when this defense is healthy it’s less reliant on him than the last few years
Yeah if we had Myers at 2.5 and could flip Garland for a prospect and a 1.5 million dollar slug we’d be in business.

I still like the shape of this years team better than any Canucks team since 12/13- and yes I realize that that isn’t saying much.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017

Myers can be decent bottom pairing D man on the right team..?..You're basically saying he's barely worthy of being an NHL player.

No bias there...obviously.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Myers can be decent bottom pairing D man on the right team..?..You're basically saying he's barely worthy of being an NHL player.

No bias there...obviously.
Well an effective bottom pairing dman(like when he’s on the ice, more good things happen than bad). Sheltered minutes playing 16-18 minutes I think he’d be effective. Anything more and I believe he’d struggle to be positive scoring chance wise over 82 games. Just my opinion. I admittedly have a bias against dmen who play chaotic hockey but aren’t skilled or smart enough to justify it.

I don’t think that’s the case for Juulsen, to me there’s a guy who’s barely worthy of sniffing a nhl roster. Seems like a good guy but he should only be seeing action if you have 2-3 guys injured.

Wisp

Nov 14, 2010
Fyi, Drance was never really pro-Benning, but I believe the access and close relation with Travis Green and (I believe also Jonathan Wall and Chris Gear) blunted much of his criticism. He had also just returned to sports journalism following Botch's passing so perhaps that was a reason why he took a more diplomatic approach to rebuild his readership and also his sources.

I dunno, maybe he regrets that and wanted to be harder on new management, especially as he became a radio guy and started to model himself a bit more like the late Botchford (who casts a long shadow in this market, mostly for the better but sometimes for the worst).

Anyways, he has a tough gig and I don't envy him. I've certainly grilled him myself when I felt he was being myopic but I respect the honesty - he is if anything consistent in what he thinks.

And ithink the Canucks org has settled now and is in a much better place, I don't think anyone can disagree that the transition to get to this point was ugly and full of drama the last 2 seasons, and any leeriness Thomas had about this new group was defensible.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Fyi, Drance was never really pro-Benning, but I believe the access and close relation with Travis Green and (I believe also Jonathan Wall and Chris Gear) blunted much of his criticism. He had also just returned to sports journalism following Botch's passing so perhaps that was a reason why he took a more diplomatic approach to rebuild his readership and also his sources.

He was plenty harsh on Benning at the end there.
I dunno, maybe he regrets that and wanted to be harder on new management, especially as he became a radio guy and started to model himself a bit more like the late Botchford (who casts a long shadow in this market, mostly for the better but sometimes for the worst).

Anyways, he has a tough gig and I don't envy him. I've certainly grilled him myself when I felt he was being myopic but I respect the honesty - he is if anything consistent in what he thinks.

And ithink the Canucks org has settled now and is in a much better place, I don't think anyone can disagree that the transition to get to this point was ugly and full of drama the last 2 seasons, and any leeriness Thomas had about this new group was defensible.

He believes that the Canucks were so deprived of assets that they needed to accumulate before they could go for it.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Well an effective bottom pairing dman(like when he’s on the ice, more good things happen than bad). Sheltered minutes playing 16-18 minutes I think he’d be effective. Anything more and I believe he’d struggle to be positive scoring chance wise over 82 games. Just my opinion. I admittedly have a bias against dmen who play chaotic hockey but aren’t skilled or smart enough to justify it.

I don’t think that’s the case for Juulsen, to me there’s a guy who’s barely worthy of sniffing a nhl roster. Seems like a good guy but he should only be seeing action if you have 2-3 guys injured.
Well at least you admit you have a bias against the player..Myers' minutes have been cut down to an average of around 19:40 mins.

The addition of Hronek have definitely cut into his minutes.

Soucy back in the lineup could see them reduce more.

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Well at least you admit you have a bias against the player..Myers' minutes have been cut down to an average of around 19:40 mins.

The addition of Hronek have definitely cut into his minutes.

Soucy back in the lineup could see them reduce more.
Apparently Soucy is legit top 4 defender

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Have some respect for your fellow Canucks fan, please.

If you really want I can pull out the quotes.

But let’s not take it there
Take it there

Show the quotes.

If you cannot...you're full of BS.

Carson Soucy is a good player, but is not a legit leading 2nd pairing.

Last edited:

Play

Time to play the game
Nov 12, 2021
Russia
Take it there

Show the quotes.

If you cannot...you're full of BS.
They want to win now : they have a 1C (Petterson) a 2C who could also be a 1LW (Miller), a 1RW (Kuzmenko), four top 6/9 wingers (Mikheyev, Beauvillier, Boeser, Garland), a top 9 center (Blueger or Suter) a 1LD (Hughes) 2 top 4 Dmen (Hronek, Soucy) a top goalie (Demko) The issue with them is depth (injury + lack of scoring) and coaching. Let s see if it works with Tocchet but on paper they have a good team and play in the weaker conference.
Broberg helped kill this 2man PP. Good for him.

We should've found a way to sign Soucy.. the guy is on a bargain deal and would be our top pairing Dman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad