GM Tim Murray fine incoming?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Why is it insane? Do you think that ppl don't enjoy that sexually? Do you think that no parents discipline their kids that way and see nothing wrong with it?

If that's not what he meant, fine but he should be aware that many ppl are going to think he's referring to sexual play and that it's inappropriate to say that in a workplace situation or presser, especially about an employee.

Let me guess........... You were with her

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Let me guess........... You were with her

Her?

Let me guess, you have no idea why many ppl in this thread think what Murray said was inappropriate.

Even if you think what he said was fine, the many ppl who don't should tell Murray that it's not a good thing to say in a presser.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Her?

Let me guess, you have no idea why many ppl in this thread think what Murray said was inappropriate.

Even if you think what he said was fine, the many ppl who don't should tell Murray that it's not a good thing to say in a presser.
Many people don't think it is fine?
I grew up in the real world of sink or swim. There was no mommy or daddy to wipe my nose, at 18 upon finishing high school, it was get out there and get after it.

If your my age, and your from WNY, you pulled your boot straps up and got busy building a life ad soon as your educational run was up. You wanted college? You paid your way. You wanted a car, you bought it.

If your blue collar and were born before 1980 in WNY you more likely than not lived old school and learned to handle your business.

Sayings or expressions like this are still common place around here.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
Her?

Considering it is actually a phrase apparently, you can calm down now.

Mar 12, 2009
Marcel Dionne lives here, I think it is, and he never even played here.

What's a Sabre thread without garbage leafs fans coming in and doing their best to **** on the team, city, and people?

That Leaf fan in particular likes to troll Sabre fans by crapping on the city, and you feed him by falling for it and biting. It's also funny that you complain that he's ******** on the team and people in the exact same sentence you **** on the Leafs and the people who are fans of them. Classic :laugh: .

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Many people don't think it is fine?
I grew up in the real world of sink or swim. There was no mommy or daddy to wipe my nose, at 18 upon finishing high school, it was get out there and get after it.

If your my age, and your from WNY, you pulled your boot straps up and got busy building a life ad soon as your educational run was up. You wanted college? You paid your way. You wanted a car, you bought it.

If your blue collar and were born before 1980 in WNY you more likely than not lived old school and learned to handle your business.

Sayings or expressions like this are still common place around here.

Lucky you, that you got to wait until you were 18 to support yourself.

That aside, my point is that the phrase may mean that to you but Murray, as a representative of the Sabres and a manager, needs to be aware that the phrase means other things as well. He needs to be careful with his language, especially at a presser. He can't assume that everyone will know what he means when he uses a suggestive phrase like that.

IOW
f12d01f97d13207582d6962651aee4e5.jpg

Murray is a professional and, as such, he needs to be aware of things like that. It's part of his job and he's failing hard.

That said, I may not have been clear before. I doubt that he was trying to sexually harass Eichel (or other players). But sexual play is what I first thought of when I read that and clearly I wasn't the only one. Employers need to be careful of using phrasing that could be interpreted as sexual.

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Lucky you, that you got to wait until you were 18 to support yourself.

That aside, my point is that the phrase may mean that to you but Murray, as a representative of the Sabres and a manager, needs to be aware that the phrase means other things as well. He needs to be careful with his language, especially at a presser. He can't assume that everyone will know what he means when he uses a suggestive phrase like that.

IOW
f12d01f97d13207582d6962651aee4e5.jpg

Murray is a professional and, as such, he needs to be aware of things like that. It's part of his job and he's failing hard.
Don't mistake my example of blue collar existence as my personal experience, which wad far worse than 18. It's what I witnessed first hand growing up in a blue collar and proud of it environment which still exists in large pockets in WNY particularly the north towns.

The point is, these expressions are by no means enuendo of the nature brought forth in this thread.

Paulinvancouver

Gas station in Carbondale did not have fresh yams!
Dec 19, 2015
Alright jack-y, show us on the doll where the naughty general manager slapped you.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Don't mistake my example of blue collar existence as my personal experience, which wad far worse than 18. It's what I witnessed first hand growing up in a blue collar and proud of it environment which still exists in large pockets in WNY particularly the north towns.

The point is, these expressions are by no means enuendo of the nature brought forth in this thread.

The point is that they are innuendo, whether the speaker is aware of that or not. The implication is there, whether acknowledged or unacknowledged. It's Murray's job to be aware of the implications of what he says. If you think that the implications were not intended, you're saying that he failed at that. Maybe. My point is that it doesn't matter if he was aware or unaware of the implications. It's his job to be aware so either he failed at that or he knew of the implications and said it anyway. You can excuse his failure if you want bc "blue collar WNY" but the rest of us don't have to.

IMO it's not a big deal but it's odd how many ppl come out to defend the remark and mock ppl who found it odd or inappropriate.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
The point is that they are innuendo, whether the speaker is aware of that or not. The implication is there, whether acknowledged or unacknowledged. It's Murray's job to be aware of the implications of what he says. If you think that the implications were not intended, you're saying that he failed at that. Maybe. My point is that it doesn't matter if he was aware or unaware of the implications. It's his job to be aware so either he failed at that or he knew of the implications and said it anyway. You can excuse his failure if you want bc "blue collar WNY" but the rest of us don't have to.

Did you listen to the interview or just read the quote?

Yatzhee

Aug 5, 2010
Lol, unbelievable.
I will not be tamed by the PC police. And, it appears neither will GM Tim Murray.

Live free or die!

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Did you listen to the interview or just read the quote?

I only read it and was trying to explain to ppl who didn't seem to get why ppl might find the comment creepy. Then was mocked by Murray defenders.

I don't even have a link to the interview. Like I said, it's not a big deal to me but the ppl coming out to mock ppl who recognize and acknowledge the sexual implications of his remark seems odd to me.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
No I didn't. I didn't imply it either. Way to strawman.
Might want to look into "phrasing" yourself then.

I think ppl think it's more creepy than offensive. It sounds like something Murray gets off on and that he may or may not do something sexual with Eichel, depending on his whim at the moment. Really inappropriate for the workplace (or a presser). I thought "sexual harassment" when I heard it.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
If a bunch of people in this thread have both admitted to using or hearing this expression, might Murray not actually be some kind of creep -- as many have alluded to -- after all?

It's an expression. Move on. Jesus.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Might want to look into "phrasing" yourself then.

Yes. It sounds like, i.e., it can be interpreted that way. I clarified later, this isn't a presser, and it's not my job. I would have been much more careful if it was.

Scrantonicity 2

Not a Generational Poster
Mar 7, 2016
LOL. Tim Murray is great. The best part about the comment is seeing all the Nancy's on HF cry about it.

Mar 12, 2009
Considering the only people Murray upset, were hypersensitive kids on a hockey forum... odds are he'll survive.

I see a lot of people who think it's a weird phrase or even creepy (many phrases someone has never heard of sound weird to them), very few who think it's offensive (I count 1 person). You seem rather sensitive and more bothered by people thinking it's a strange phrase than anyone in this thread is actually bothered about the phrase itself...sounds like a bit of projecting going on here.

I see more people now complaining about people being offended by this or suggesting people in this thread are "crying" than I see actual posters crying :laugh:.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I see a lot of people who think it's a weird phrase or even creepy (many phrases someone has never heard of sound weird to them), very few who think it's offensive (I count 1 person). You seem rather sensitive and more bothered by people thinking it's a strange phrase than anyone in this thread is actually bothered about the phrase itself...sounds like a bit of projecting going on here.
I'm more concerned about the people ******** on the city I live in, and the one guy who thought Murray wanted to sleep with Eichel.

And I guess you, for defending them. For some reason.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
You also said you immediately thought "sexual harassment"... so, what way did you interpret it?

I thought that Murray was careless and incompetent bc he probably didn't mean to imply it but the implication is obvious. Or he did mean to imply it and didn't care, which also looks bad for the Sabres. I didn't think it deserved a fine (and said so).

That was my interpretation until I read so many ppl either defending the remark or thinking it was creepy. So I tried to explain to someone who didn't seem to understand why ppl thought it was offensive or creepy.

Lessavyfav

Aug 2, 2010
I only read it and was trying to explain to ppl who didn't seem to get why ppl might find the comment creepy. Then was mocked by Murray defenders.

I don't even have a link to the interview. Like I said, it's not a big deal to me but the ppl coming out to mock ppl who recognize and acknowledge the sexual implications of his remark seems odd to me.

I think part of the problem is the usage of Twitter. Instead of giving the full quote, Harrington pulls the "funny" / awkward line and puts it on Twitter knowing it would be retweeted and shared. And it worked as there is a post on a few hockey related forums about it.

It is pretty clear what Tim Murray meant and intended when listening to the full quote. He was saying that he wasn't going to reprimand Jack for being outspoken and upset that the fans were booing.

Mar 12, 2009
I'm more concerned about the people ******** on the city I live in, and the one guy who thought Murray wanted to sleep with Eichel.

And I guess you, for defending them. For some reason.

I'm not defending them, I'm just not supporting you. One guy **** on your town and I already called him out as a known troll I counted the guy you keep responding to as the one guy oddly offended by it...ah yes the typical "if you're not 100% on my side, your the enemy" view of things. I'm a problem because I think you're being silly in addition to thinking the one guy whining about TM and painting him as a predator is even sillier...real enlightened :laugh:.

I think it's silly to be offended by what he said, I think it's also silly to complain about how offended everyone is when very few are (and when the person claiming everyone is offended is behaving bothered at the same time).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad