GM thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

tbcwpg

Jan 25, 2011
Teams are giving up decent players for picks alone.
These 3 players have value.

Schmidt was got from vegas for a 3rd round pick by vancouver.

Our defense still sucks.
At least replace buff with a dumba or hamonic not ahl scrubs.

The Schmidt trade was an outlier, I don't think any team can use that as a benchmark for value right now.

The issue is the cap. Teams are going to look at what Roslovic and Niku will want versus what they are giving up. Trades are never easy, that is especially true right now.

I expect Roslovic to be gone by the time camp starts, Niku maybe as well. I think Weegar in Florida is a reasonable option for that package.

Reactions: surixon

Peggy

Aug 6, 2016
Vegas has a gm with balls that wants to fix their problems and win now.
A team that has been around less than 5 years is more competitive than our team which is sad.

It is time to fix our problems
Our defense is still trash.

I am only suggesting move these players.
I would really like to see wheeler traded and we go in a different direction with different leadership.
Anyone on this team not named scheifele, laine. connor, ehlers or hellebuyck can be moved in my opinion.

Morrissey

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
The Schmidt trade was an outlier, I don't think any team can use that as a benchmark for value right now.

The issue is the cap. Teams are going to look at what Roslovic and Niku will want versus what they are giving up. Trades are never easy, that is especially true right now.

I expect Roslovic to be gone by the time camp starts, Niku maybe as well. I think Weegar in Florida is a reasonable option for that package.

I wonder if the hold up is the Jets are trying to get a contract agreement in place first prior to finalizing a deal. He is a UFA in a year and the Jets likely don't trade Roslovic alone for a player who is going to take their arb award and walk in a year.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Thank you kindly! Just wanted to confirm about Morrisey.

My guess is Chevy has not given up on moving Beaulieu out of that 4 spot to the 7 spot and adding someone not named Nate Schmidt (FFS :() but that is a proven top 4 talent into that slot. “If” that happens then I think the Jets D core that was outstanding in 2017-18 and free fell to borderline AHL in 2019-20 can claw back up to NHL average in this season.

Time will tell I am not sure there are many more top 4 LHD men on the move?

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Very good article in the Athletic that reviews all 31 teams GM moves in the off season so far and Chevy has received good reviews by fellow execs. I think it helps to look at the big picture and review all 31 teams to get context of what all their challenges were (are) and what they have got done so far.

Watching all the transactions makes it seems like lots is happening but if you divide the meaningful transaction by 31 teams honestly it’s not allot more than 1 or 2 moves per team. So any one team in isolation can make it seem like not enough is happening.

The execs interviewed think the Stastny deal was really good (term, fit, and talent) and the DeMelo signing was good value.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Very good article in the Athletic that reviews all 32 teams GM moves in the off season so far and Chevy has received good reviews by fellow execs. I think it helps to look at the big picture and review all 31 teams to get context of what all their challenges were (are) and what they have got done so far.

Watching all the transactions makes it seems like lots is happening but if you divide the meaningful transaction by 31 teams honestly it’s not allot more than 1 or 2 martial moves per team. So any one team in isolation can make it seem like not enough is happening.

The execs interviewed think the Stastny deal was really good (term, fit, and talent) and the DeMelo signing was good value.

Yup. Most teams haven't done much of anything, its important to take a step back from our team and look at what the other teams are doing.

I have to say that as a small market in the midst if a pandemic to be a cap team should be sending some real strong signals to agents and players around the league that we are looking to win.

Reactions: DRC and ps241

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Yup. Most teams haven't done much of anything, its important to take a step back from our team and look at what the other teams are doing.

I have to say that as a small market in the midst if a pandemic to be a cap team should be sending some real strong signals to agents and players around the league that we are looking to win.

Well, Vegas got better. Got rid of Stastny to free up space for Pietrangelo. We needed a Stastny. Unfortunately, we needed a Pietrangelo too. We have gone from being a bubble team on the outside of the playoffs, to a bubble team probably now on the inside of the playoffs. But in no way a contender.

Now, if they really do go with a Canada division, we could look really good standings wise at the end of the regular season. But it won't change that we are in no way a contender with the defense that we have now. We still need a top tier D man to take a big step forward.

Reactions: sipowicz

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Well, Vegas got better. Got rid of Stastny to free up space for Pietrangelo. We needed a Stastny. Unfortunately, we needed a Pietrangelo too. We have gone from being a bubble team on the outside of the playoffs, to a bubble team probably now on the inside of the playoffs. But in no way a contender.

Now, if they really do go with a Canada division, we could look really good standings wise at the end of the regular season. But it won't change that we are in no way a contender with the defense that we have now. We still need a top tier D man to take a big step forward.

You can get by with defense by committee as Vegas has shown the last number of years. Imo we don't need a number 1 stud, just get another real strong top 4 dmen and we are in business.

I dont think we are a contender but we should be highly competitive now if coached correctly.

Also did Vegas actually get better? They landed Pietro but they have had to sell off a lot of good depth for dirt cheap to make it happen. Stastney and Schmidt are two real good players that they had to give away. They lost a real quality depth piece in Cousins to UFA. They are also going to have to still free up another three million so they will lose another solid piece like a Martinez.

Reactions: GeorgeJETson

potroaster

Jul 1, 2012
Chipman is the problem. But It's his team, his dollars. He needs to take a step back. Of course he isn't gonna do that. So now we are stuck with a mediocre team just barely scratching for wild card status.

Reactions: wpgfishfan

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
What is this fascination with Hamonic? Flames fans seemed to think he wasn't very good for them down the stretch before play was halted. Then he didn't participate in the playoffs due to covid.

Even if he would play, he's about a 3rd pairing guy, and we already have Poolman.

He's certainly not above Pionk and DeMelo, which should tell you something about how bad his play has gotten.

EDIT: I'm sorry for getting off-topic. Please continue with GM talk.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
The fact that Hamonic hasn't signed yet makes me hold out hope he will sign with the Jets on a hometown discount!

The fact that Hamonic hasn't signed yet makes me hold out hope that Chevy isn't as bad a GM as I had figured.

Rumors are he won't play during the pandemic as he has a young daughter with some medical issues.

Well, that hope was short-lived. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad