GM thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I'd add the Hayes trade also. Bubble team in need of a 2C /bluechip prospects trades a 1st for a capable player who fails to move the needle and ends up down the lineup despite his solid points %. Also the Hendricks trade -- only a 7th, but if you need to trade for locker-room heroes because a playoff team lacks motivation. then your coach isn't doing his job -- so talk to the coach and save the pick.

I don't have a lot of complaints with Chevy -- but in a cap league in a small market creativity and thinking ahead of the pack are increasingly important attributes IMO.

I wish he would of thought ahead before losing 4 of his top 6 man and then doing nothing about it

sipowicz

The thrill is gone
Mar 16, 2011
Nine years at the helm of an NHL franchise and the Jets still a bubble team, in the PO’s one year and knocked out in the first round and then out of the playoffs the next, Chevy’s masterpiece, dynasty it is not!

Anyone remember the funny fictional line a few years back, “this team is built for the playoff’s” too bad that it was just a line and a false one at that!

Jets are at best a bubble team with a few good young players, some aging older players and mostly guys just not good enough to win with! Luckily for Chevy he found a good goalie who masked most of the teams shortcomings!

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Nine years at the helm of an NHL franchise and the Jets still a bubble team, in the PO’s one year and knocked out in the first round and then out of the playoffs the next, Chevy’s masterpiece, dynasty it is not!

Anyone remember the funny fictional line a few years back, “this team is built for the playoff’s” too bad that it was just a line and a fake one!

I love seeing everyone wasting their time on how many big trades we might make. Let’s get real here. Couple bottom pairing d men and signing our own rfas will be a huge offseason for Chevy.. and it’s the most likely one

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I love seeing everyone wasting their time on how many big trades we might make. Let’s get real here. Couple bottom pairing d men and signing our own rfas will be a huge offseason for Chevy.. and it’s the most likely one
I actually don't mind that, if it means that the Jets use the upcoming season to develop Samberg, Heinola, Harkins, Gus, Vesalainen, etc. Maybe trade Perreault for an extra pick, and rebuild the prospect pool in the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

The big push to restructure the roster should be in 2021, when they have a stronger set of young D and forwards, and a ton of cap space.

The loss of Buff and Little made last season and the upcoming season unrealistic for a real Cup push. The biggest mistakes that GMs make is to try to build a short-term winner unrealistically.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
I actually don't mind that, if it means that the Jets use the upcoming season to develop Samberg, Heinola, Harkins, Gus, Vesalainen, etc. Maybe trade Perreault for an extra pick, and rebuild the prospect pool in the 2020 and 2021 drafts.

The big push to restructure the roster should be in 2021, when they have a stronger set of young D and forwards, and a ton of cap space.

The loss of Buff and Little made last season and the upcoming season unrealistic for a real Cup push. The biggest mistakes that GMs make is to try to build a short-term winner unrealistically.

I see what your saying and agree for the most part. But building the roster for another 2 year push shouldn’t even be in the question.

With helly Scheif and wheelers deals all coming at the same time I see us having to shed some talent again.

And yes wheeler will resign for around 5 mil a year on a one year deal IMO

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
The goal is long term stability and championships.

Chevy has built a heck of a roster, yes it has flaws but it is an endless work in progress and he was given a really raw hand this year with Buff, injuries.
Stability - check.

Championships - nope. Is he the GM to take the team over the top? Not so sure.

What I do think is that firing him would be a massive misstep and if he was fired he would almost instantly be handed another GM job of his choice in the NHL

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
The goal is long term stability and championships.

Chevy has built a heck of a roster, yes it has flaws but it is an endless work in progress and he was given a really raw hand this year with Buff, injuries.
Stability - check.

Championships - nope. Is he the GM to take the team over the top? Not so sure.

What I do think is that firing him would be a massive misstep and if he was fired he would almost instantly be handed another GM job of his choice in the NHL

Pretty unstable if you ask me. Players forcing trades and losing 80 percent of your defense without fixing it reaks of instability

rubikscube

Oct 27, 2017
Weinerpeg
Pretty unstable if you ask me. Players forcing trades and losing 80 percent of your defense without fixing it reaks of instability
Trouba is one outlier example. He was going to do that to any Canadian team, and 75% of American teams.
There's no magic fix when your $7.6 dollar #1 d-man decides overnight that he doesn't want to play anymore.
Judging Chevy on those two situations are unreasonable.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Trouba is one outlier example. He was going to do that to any Canadian team, and 75% of American teams.
There's no magic fix when your $7.6 dollar #1 d-man decides overnight that he doesn't want to play anymore.
Judging Chevy on those two situations are unreasonable.

I’m judging him on the other 3 dmen he knew he was going to lose for a while and did nothing about.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
I’m judging him on the other 3 dmen he knew he was going to lose for a while and did nothing about.
He lost Myers and Chiarot because they didn't have cap space, because they had to sign Laine and Connor and lost Buff. Trouba was really the only big loss. If the Jets had Buff they could have put any LD with him and had a solid D pair.

Myers wasn't worth keeping.

Reactions: Jets 31

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
Just wait till Chevy makes pionk this teams highest paid dman :popcorn:

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
He lost Myers and Chiarot because they didn't have cap space, because they had to sign Laine and Connor and lost Buff. Trouba was really the only big loss. If the Jets had Buff they could have put any LD with him and had a solid D pair.

Myers wasn't worth keeping.

How is not having enough cap space not his fault ????? That is what a gym is paid to do.

Having a plan so his defense doesn’t go from good to AHL over one offseason is part of his job title.

So many excuses around here.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
How is not having enough cap space not his fault ????? That is what a gym is paid to do.

Having a plan so his defense doesn’t go from good to AHL over one offseason is part of his job title.

How much cap space did this team have to start the year? Nevertheless somehow teams are unearthing gems via trade for cheap (Marino, Schultz and petry come to mind) yet Chevy is spending his time signing sbisa, bitetto, and dahlstrom. Neither trouba, chiarot and myers were surprise departures, unfortunately our gm did 0 to mitigate their loss. It's comical people try to make an excuse for Chevy.

drumzan

#NHLJets
Jul 9, 2011
I'd add the Hayes trade also. Bubble team in need of a 2C /bluechip prospects trades a 1st for a capable player who fails to move the needle and ends up down the lineup despite his solid points %. Also the Hendricks trade -- only a 7th, but if you need to trade for locker-room heroes because a playoff team lacks motivation. then your coach isn't doing his job -- so talk to the coach and save the pick.

I don't have a lot of complaints with Chevy -- but in a cap league in a small market creativity and thinking ahead of the pack are increasingly important attributes IMO.
Oh I’m with you. I HATED the Hayes trade.

Trading for Setoguchi when you’re clearly not a contender. Not buying out Pavelec. Trading up for Stanley. Not trading Hainsey. Trade to not lose Enstrom. List goes on.

Whileee

May 29, 2010

He had almost $13 million in cap space allocated to Byfuglien and Little. Buff dropped out as training camp begun, and Little injured with an uncertain return after 7 games. Chevy had no avenue for re-allocating Buff's cap space during the season. Once again, there's a difference between an "excuse" and an explanation. Yank $7.6 million of cap space and a #1 D from any team and the GM is going to have a tough time building a D on the fly.

Chevy could have done a better job filling in bottom end roster spots, but that wouldn't have replaced Buff (or Little).

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
How much cap space did this team have to start the year? Nevertheless somehow teams are unearthing gems via trade for cheap (Marino, Schultz and petry come to mind) yet Chevy is spending his time signing sbisa, bitetto, and dahlstrom. Neither trouba, chiarot and myers were surprise departures, unfortunately our gm did 0 to mitigate their loss. It's comical people try to make an excuse for Chevy.

People act like the end of these contracts came
Out of no where and surprised him. He knew this would happen for years.

Also him going into a full defense rebuild in the last 2 years of his aging 1D’s contract is absolutely laughable.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
People act like the end of these contracts came
Out of no where and surprised him. He knew this would happen for years.

Also him going into a full defense rebuild in the last 2 years of his aging 1D’s contract is absolutely laughable.
Agreed. And Chevy thought dahlstrom, sbisa and bitetto were suitable replacements. Not surprised given this is the same guy who gave pavelec a 20m contract.

Reactions: Jetfaninflorida

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
Agreed. And Chevy thought dahlstrom, sbisa and bitetto were suitable replacements. Not surprised given this is the same guy who gave pavelec a 20m contract.

I still think the state of the defense made buffs choice easier to quit. He was going through a lot and didn’t have it in him to be on a bubble team.

Teemusalami204

Jul 30, 2014
Winnipeg
He had almost $13 million in cap space allocated to Byfuglien and Little. Buff dropped out as training camp begun, and Little injured with an uncertain return after 7 games. Chevy had no avenue for re-allocating Buff's cap space during the season. Once again, there's a difference between an "excuse" and an explanation. Yank $7.6 million of cap space and a #1 D from any team and the GM is going to have a tough time building a D on the fly.

Chevy could have done a better job filling in bottom end roster spots, but that wouldn't have replaced Buff (or Little).

I always see your points but I don’t agree this time. Even with buff this wasn’t a team that was going to contend. And losing little elevated Lainesa game to a level he would of not gotten while being stuck on the second line with him

AWSAA

Sep 8, 2003

Little never should've been re-signed. That was a huge mistake...and it's on him.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Little never should've been re-signed. That was a huge mistake...and it's on him.
Don't agree, as of right now Little is still our 2nd best center on this team but now with Little's injury Chevy has to get a good 2nd line center. Tanev and Myers and Charoit got too much money when we were still trying to sign Laine and Connor.

Reactions: Roughneck1
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad