News Article: GM Search: Pens and Hextall could reach a handshake agreement as soon as today, per Seravelli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
i think its plenty appealing. 20 + legit people are interested.
Im not getting twisted about two dudes, one who has also recently turned down another oppurtunity
Define legit. I think there are some legitimate candidates, but to say 20+ legitimate people is hardly accurate. You can’t say what when you see some of the names.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Define legit. I think there are some legitimate candidates, but to say 20+ legitimate people is hardly accurate. You can’t say what when you see some of the names.

The only name im an absolute hrd no on is Chiarelli and probably Tallon.

Even Weekes is an interesting candidate that i think could be a good GM. If i liked him for the job id try to bring him in as an AGM due to his lack of experience.

Everyone else has their pros and cons

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
The next GM needs to have an eye for youth and the ability to rebuild, or rebuild on the fly. No more of this win now at all costs shit. That ship sailed a couple years ago. Spare me the "As long as Sid and Geno are here..." stuff. Neither has been able to do anything in the playoffs in recent years, and age/wear and tear are catching up. I'd sooner watch us strip the team down to studs and bolts and do a full rebuild than to continue to spend 1sts and our best prospects to tread water in mediocrity.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The Pens job isn’t all that attractive for an up and comer. The roster is basically set and the expectations are through the roof. Your coach has a 3 year deal and you have dick for assets to trade. Why would I want that job as my maybe one chance as a GM if I’m on the shortlist for future GM openings?

Absolutely bang on.
Management wants another cup right now, most GM's probably think this team is on the decline and think it would be best to start a rebuild/retool
This job is pretty much a guaranteed getting fired one after 3 seasons and not looking good as a GM one. It will not look good on anyones resume going forward thus probably scaring the younger wanna be GM's out there.

Le Magnifique 66

Let's Go Pens
Jun 9, 2006
Montreal
The next GM needs to have an eye for youth and the ability to rebuild, or rebuild on the fly. No more of this win now at all costs shit. That ship sailed a couple years ago. Spare me the "As long as Sid and Geno are here..." stuff. Neither has been able to do anything in the playoffs in recent years, and age/wear and tear are catching up. I'd sooner watch us strip the team down to studs and bolts and do a full rebuild than to continue to spend 1sts and our best prospects to tread water in mediocrity.

I totally agree with you.
But the next GM also needs to convince management that it's what's needed here going forward. Get the feeling that some higher up still think we should be all in despite the past few years being a disater in the playoffs and also starting to barely make the playoffs.
That Montreal series is pretty much all that management should need to be convinced it's time to seriously start thinking about the future of this franchise and not the win now window that IMO has closed!

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
The only name im an absolute hrd no on is Chiarelli and probably Tallon.

Even Weekes is an interesting candidate that i think could be a good GM. If i liked him for the job id try to bring him in as an AGM due to his lack of experience.

Everyone else has their pros and cons
Agreed that maybe you hire Weekes for an AGM role. Gillis also seems more like a president or ceo more so than an actual GM.

Is Futa any different than Allvin? LA didn’t renew his contract. It seems like he’s known for drafting, which is great, but what about the other parts of being a GM?

How did Nieuwendyke’s name even come up here? He wasn’t a very good GM and hasn’t worked in that role in 10 years. What are his pros?

Hextall seems like an ideal candidate for a total rebuild, but a horrible hire for a team not ready to make that necessary step.

Of the remaining names, maybe you have to go with MacFarland because he’s at least been involved in bringing a team back from absolute garbage to a legitimate contender. But I don’t know his role in the Avs success.

Even if these GM’s think a rebuild is necessary, they can’t say that during their interview with chubby.

But these guys all have their warts.

Last edited:

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
Absolutely bang on.
Management wants another cup right now, most GM's probably think this team is on the decline and think it would be best to start a rebuild/retool
This job is pretty much a guaranteed getting fired one after 3 seasons and not looking good as a GM one. It will not look good on anyones resume going forward thus probably scaring the younger wanna be GM's out there.
Good Lord some of you I shudder to think how dark an existence some of you must have! because Drury who backed out of a job with Fla. & Mellanby say thanks but no thanks, nobody wants the job. Can I direct you back to when Shero & Bylsma were fired & nobody wanted either job & ended up with Back2Back SC's. & other than Weekes being a BLM supporter & talking about it on NHL network what in God's name does he have being interviewed for the job ? Chiarelli has sucked beyond belief in to GM jobs, But & least he has sucked at the job twice & work his way up

Big Friggin Dummy

Feb 22, 2019
If Mario & Co. were concerned with winning now, they should've made serious changes after the Isles series. Sticking with this GM and coach for another two years just put the nail in the coffin, imo.

This team has won one single playoff game in the past 2 appearances. The stars have contributed f***-all. The core is 34 years old and has dealt with annual, major injuries for what feels like the past decade. The coach lost the room years ago. The previous GM acted like a guy who already put his two week notice in about a week and a half ago. :laugh: You can demand results, excellence and success from the next GM, but you're not going to get it immediately.

Reactions: Le Magnifique 66

OswaldBates

Dec 31, 2019
If Mario & Co. were concerned with winning now, they should've made serious changes after the Isles series. Sticking with this GM and coach for another two years just put the nail in the coffin, imo.

This team has won one single playoff game in the past 2 appearances. The stars have contributed f***-all. The core is 34 years old and has dealt with annual, major injuries for what feels like the past decade. The coach lost the room years ago. The previous GM acted like a guy who already put his two week notice in about a week and a half ago. :laugh: You can demand results, excellence and success from the next GM, but you're not going to get it immediately.
oh But remember No Potential GM wants the Job, Please make up your mind

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Yeah, the claim that the Penguins GM job isn't attractive is a load of bogus. The Penguins are closer to a cup than almost any GM vacancy that I can remember, plus they have a stable ownership and a plan of spending to the cap. To act like an up and coming GM would prefer a worse team with more trade assets than Pittsburgh is just lunacy. To act like they'd refuse to come to Pittsburgh because they're a win-now team and they won't allow Sullivan to be fired is just lunacy.

Just because fans on this site are obnoxiously jaded towards the team doesn't mean everyone is.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
It's certainly a challenge. But it also could be a huge risk/reward. The Pens are not that far from being a true legit contender for a "high stakes roller" who can identify the issues and address them. Could be costly, but another kick at the cup has to be appealing. Unfortunately, it will take a guy with some pull around the league of GM's. I don't see a young upcomer having the same pull/clout in the trading circle to pull off a trade without gutting the team. Maybe go too far, or try too. Mario and others should keep that in check.

@Randy Butternubs I'll be your "wingman" anytime. "#ICE-UM"
@Tom Hanks - me will gladly take the two AGM-AGM to the AGM @Gurglesons job

When you and @Gurglesons went all inverted on "Drury" might be the deciding reason for his scaring off at wanting the job.
VTKeo2t.gif

You hit them with that precision "paint/tactics" and Tom Hanks, Wilson and I will hit them with the gif-s that keep on gif-ing.
XtALvDG.gif

21981b8508571f4c9633fb3ff7569c22.gif

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Here's a list of all of the GM vacancies in the last 3 years:

-Arizona: 2020
-Sabres: 2020
-Carolina: 2018

-Detroit: 2019
-Edmonton: 2019
-Florida: 2020
-Minnesota: 2019
-New Jersey: 2020
-NYI: 2018
-Philly: 2018
-Seattle: 2019
-Tampa: 2018
-Toronto: 2018
-Vegas: 2019

Of those, the bolded were just internal promotions, meaning that outside candidates didn't even have a chance at the job. I definitely think Tampa, Vegas and Toronto would be a more attractive GMing opportunity than Pittsburgh for an up and comer, but those were never really opportunities for anyone else outside of the organization. Which of the unbolded options was a more attractive option for an up and coming GM than Pittsburgh? Maybe Philly? Edmonton had McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH but was an absolute mess outside of that.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Yeah, the claim that the Penguins GM job isn't attractive is a load of bogus. The Penguins are closer to a cup than almost any GM vacancy that I can remember, plus they have a stable ownership and a plan of spending to the cap. To act like an up and coming GM would prefer a worse team with more trade assets than Pittsburgh is just lunacy. To act like they'd refuse to come to Pittsburgh because they're a win-now team and they won't allow Sullivan to be fired is just lunacy.

Just because fans on this site are obnoxiously jaded towards the team doesn't mean everyone is.
Recent GM vacancies:

Tampa
Vegas
Toronto

Pittsburgh is more attractive?

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
Here's a list of all of the GM vacancies in the last 3 years:

-Arizona: 2020
-Sabres: 2020
-Carolina: 2018

-Detroit: 2019
-Edmonton: 2019
-Florida: 2020
-Minnesota: 2019
-New Jersey: 2020
-NYI: 2018
-Philly: 2018
-Seattle: 2019
-Tampa: 2018
-Toronto: 2018
-Vegas: 2019

Of those, the bolded were just internal promotions, meaning that outside candidates didn't even have a chance at the job. I definitely think Tampa, Vegas and Toronto would be a more attractive GMing opportunity than Pittsburgh for an up and comer, but those were never really opportunities for anyone else outside of the organization. Which of the unbolded options was a more attractive option for an up and coming GM than Pittsburgh? Maybe Philly? Edmonton had McDavid, Draisaitl and RNH but was an absolute mess outside of that.

Like any of those, though, timing is everything. Obviously there will be the top teams with young and very desirable cores to GM, but it's also not every year top GM candidates are available. They tend to get gobbled up in rather quick fashion. The options are quite thin.

JR will most definitely be sought after when his contract is up. If one of those teams like the TML thinks he can help fill the gap of a team at the cusp of winning.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
Like any of those, though, timing is everything. Obviously there will be the top teams with young and very desirable cores to GM, but it's also not every year top GM candidates are available. They tend to get gobbled up in rather quick fashion. The options are quite thin.

JR will most definitely be sought after when his contract is up. If one of those teams like the TML thinks he can help fill the gap of a team at the cusp of winning.

I can't see JR as a GM again

Assistant maybe or some sort of consultant

He's getting too old for this shit

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA

I wasn't talking about whether JR would get another GMing gig, I was talking about the attractiveness of the Penguins GMing gig for an up and comer.

I don't know what to think of JR. I could see him going into an advisory role for a team, kinda like what the Penguins wanted to do with Tallon. Maybe he does want to become a full blown GM again, but I think it remains to be seen.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
I’m not worried that nobody wants it. I’m just saying for these star AGMs this is not a good job. The veteran GM that wants another kick at the can is likely interested. That said, every person is different so who knows what will make one interested or not.

I'm tongue in cheek poking at people who are constantly looking for reasons to affirm their view that the Pens are f***ed. If that's not you, that's not you. I'm not sure this is a fantastic opportunity, but it is probably better than some of the miserabilists would believe.

But since you say it, where are the better ones? Empo's covered it in detail on the next page but I think the basic thrust of it goes if you're one of those AGMs in line for a really plum situation where the GM's done a great job but the org loves the AGM so much they oust the GM then yeah, you're going to have a better opportunity elsewhere, but outside those, how much better does it get? GMs only really get moved for screwing it up; it's not going to be unscrewed elsewhere.

So Drury and Mellenby may be better sticking where they are, but what's going to be better for McFarland, who's not going to oust Sakic at Colorado this decade?

Last edited:

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
I can't see JR as a GM again

Assistant maybe or some sort of consultant

He's getting too old for this shit

This isn't a physical contact job here. The important things are the optics to which who surrounds him. He doesn't go at anything alone. What's the difference in being an assistant and being the GM other than you are the face and final decision maker? Being an assistant is more work. As an consultant, he still has to work and give his opinion. Maybe not as much, certainly allows more personal freedom, but I don't think he'll like being in the background. At that point I think he'll retire after being in charge for nearly 30 years.. It's another quick kick at a cup or bust.
I wasn't talking about whether JR would get another GMing gig, I was talking about the attractiveness of the Penguins GMing gig for an up and comer.

I don't know what to think of JR. I could see him going into an advisory role for a team, kinda like what the Penguins wanted to do with Tallon. Maybe he does want to become a full blown GM again, but I think it remains to be seen.

Hobodrifter

Jan 23, 2009
Jeannette

Yep, the hot takes on this topic are particularly hyperbolic and pessimistic. Pens GM is a great opportunity for someone to lead a successful team while adjusting to the reality of the future. The team doesn't have to completely tank in order to move beyond 87 and 71.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad