News Article: GM Search: Pens and Hextall could reach a handshake agreement as soon as today, per Seravelli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
giphy.gif

This is why you're my favorite HF poster :laugh:

JRS91

Jul 4, 2010
I'm honestly not very excited with some of these names.

Fitzgerald, Botterill, Mellanby and Drury are out. I'm not sure about Weekes. He has no front office experience, and while there are GMs interviewing for the position with experience who seem much worse, I'm not sure if you want to hand the keys over to a guy with zero experience in that department. Especially given the state of the team.

I'm not sure what to think of Futa, besides the funny name. Hard pass on Chiarelli, Nieuwendyk, and Ferguson. If I had to choose right now, it'd be between Gillis and Hextall. At least from the names that have been named so far. Hextall has a good history of drafting in his short tenure in Philadelphia. He'd probably be my first choice given the age of the team and the transition they're most likely going to be making here soon. I know some people are still in "win now" mode, including ownership it seems, but at some point you need to consider the future. I think Hextall is the right guy, but knowing ownership they'll pick another GM that doesn't value draft picks.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
If thats true about drury its pretty reasonable hes not looking to leave NY. Or at the very least NY is making it worth his staying.

Mellanby is also working where he grew up as well.

i do know for sure obviously but i think people that are looking for a GM job aren't dismissing this one because of upper management rumors
Both of these guys interviewed with the FLORIDA PANTHERS literally only a couple of months ago.

So, Mellanby didn’t care about leaving the area he grew a up in only a couple of months ago? Now, suddenly he isn’t willing to leave Montreal? He also interviewed for the Wild’s GM job.

Also, Mellanby’s wife and family moved to Wisconsin not too long ago.

"The Wild have gotten permission to interview the five-year Montreal Canadiens assistant GM, who is coincidentally moving 20 miles from Xcel Energy Center to Hudson, Wisconsin, in a few weeks. The former Badger’s wife, Sue, is from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, so he has a ton of family in the area and already planned to move to Minnesota from St. Louis so it’d be easier to scout with MSP being a major Delta hub

Come on, man. You can do better than this. The fact that these guys are saying no thanks is alarming.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Both of these guys interviewed with the FLORIDA PANTHERS literally only a couple of months ago.

So, Mellanby didn’t care about leaving the area he grew a up in only a couple of months ago? Now, suddenly he isn’t willing to leave Montreal? He also interviewed for the Wild’s GM job.

Also, Mellanby’s wife and family moved to Wisconsin not too long ago.

"The Wild have gotten permission to interview the five-year Montreal Canadiens assistant GM, who is coincidentally moving 20 miles from Xcel Energy Center to Hudson, Wisconsin, in a few weeks. The former Badger’s wife, Sue, is from Eau Claire, Wisconsin, so he has a ton of family in the area and already planned to move to Minnesota from St. Louis so it’d be easier to scout with MSP being a major Delta hub

Come on.

tenor.gif

Ok, Mellanby i dont know,
Sooo sory i dont stalk scott mellanby. I have no idea why he didnt choose to interview but id put conspiracy theories about david morehouse low on the list.

Drury has taken himself out of two different jobs, its pretty clear hes not rushing out the door.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Sooo sory i dont stalk scott mellanby. I have no idea why he didnt choose to interview but id put conspiracy theories about david morehouse low on the list.

Drury has taken himself out of two different jobs, its pretty clear hes not rushing out the door.
How many GM jobs become available a year? 3 or 4 tops? The fact that guys are passing on even talking to the team doesn’t surprise you or concern you?

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
The Pens job isn’t all that attractive for an up and comer. The roster is basically set and the expectations are through the roof. Your coach has a 3 year deal and you have dick for assets to trade. Why would I want that job as my maybe one chance as a GM if I’m on the shortlist for future GM openings?

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016

I don’t think it has to do with Morehouse, but more so that the job isn’t all that appealing when you consider everything.

EightyOne

My posts are jokes. And hockey is just a game.
Nov 23, 2016
The Pens job isn’t all that attractive for an up and comer. The roster is basically set and the expectations are through the roof. Your coach has a 3 year deal and you have dick for assets to trade. Why would I want that job as my maybe one chance as a GM if I’m on the shortlist for future GM openings?

Pretty sure I was laughed at when I said everyone was going to decline this gig

Its these reasons why everyone that has a brain is gonna be like yeah naw mate im good

Even a veteran is unlikely to be attracted. No major roster moves left. But you better win a Cup! Also we can't pay much. And it's Pittsburgh during a pandemic. Lol.

Jaded-Fan

Mar 18, 2004
Pittsburgh

And the Pens are closer to crashing and burning than competing for a cup. To come in after the crash, and to start a rebuild? Sure. Just before? Not very appealing.

Reactions: Shady Machine

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Pretty sure I was laughed at when I said everyone was going to decline this gig

Its these reasons why everyone that has a brain is gonna be like yeah naw mate im good

Even a veteran is unlikely to be attracted. No major roster moves left. But you better win a Cup! Also we can't pay much. And it's Pittsburgh during a pandemic. Lol.
Yea, self imposed cap, likely a pretty weak offer financially, and will this ownership let you bring in your own people? Also, there is a coach that just started his long term extension that you have to keep, even you don’t want him here.

That’s before a candidate even looks at the roster/prospects...

A guy like Hextall is just trying to get any GM job at this point. Plus, he kind of looks like a yinzer. I can see someone like him getting the job.

Last edited:

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009

Particularly because you know there's going to be a bunch of things you won't be allowed to do. Doubt the new GM can fire the coach immediately, he likely can't trade any of the "big guns", and he's not going to be allowed to do a rebuild.

Basically, any new GM will have to keep doing what Rutherford was doing, except try and not make bad trades.

Reactions: Shady Machine

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
Mehhhh he’s basically has tried his hand at that and traded Zubov for Kevin Hatcher *shudders*

He’s also brought FIVE CUPS to Pittsburg.

Two Cups as a player (Won the Conn Smythe twice) , Three Cups as an Owner.

Btw, the Penguins only have 5 Cups. So I guess that ‘bad’ trade led to... a Cup? :)

wej20

Aug 14, 2008
UK
I thought Weekes was an analyst? or does he work for a team now?

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
He’s also brought FIVE CUPS to Pittsburg.

Two Cups as a player (Won the Conn Smythe twice) , Three Cups as an Owner.

Btw, the Penguins only have 5 Cups. So I guess that ‘bad’ trade led to... a Cup? :)
He's an owner. He didn't do shit to win the other 3 besides sign checks. Don't diminish the work of the people that actually had to scout and put in work for the Cups in the Sid and Geno era.

Reactions: TKalltheTime

HandshakeLine

A real jerk thing
Nov 9, 2005
Praha, CZ
I mean, obvious troll is obvious (nice touch on not using the "h" by the by), but I'm bored. Up your trolling game or eat shit, that's what my grandma always said.

Reactions: EightyOne

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If people are worried that nobody wants this job because two people have taken themselves out the running, surely everybody wants it because two people touted for it publicly? :sarcasm:

Shady Machine

Aug 6, 2010
If people are worried that nobody wants this job because two people have taken themselves out the running, surely everybody wants it because two people touted for it publicly? :sarcasm:

I’m not worried that nobody wants it. I’m just saying for these star AGMs this is not a good job. The veteran GM that wants another kick at the can is likely interested. That said, every person is different so who knows what will make one interested or not.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad