News Article: GM Search: Pens and Hextall could reach a handshake agreement as soon as today, per Seravelli

Status
Not open for further replies.

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
Recap: As reported by Pierre Lebrun on Insider Trading, 20 different candidates - including Jason Botterill, Chris Drury, Ron Hextall, Mark Hunter, Tom Fitzgerald, Peter Chiarelli, Scott Mellanby, Mike Gillis, Lawrence Gilman, John Ferguson Jr., Mike Futa, and others - "have expressed and reached out interest" in the position (TSN).

- Penguins offer the GM job to Hextall (Seravelli)
- Hextall the "front-runner" as Pens talk to others (Lebrun)
- Reports mention Hextall and McFarland as "leading candidates" (Shannon)
- Hextall has second interview (Friedman)
- The Penguins expect to have updated a shortlist - culled from interviews with MacFarland, Hunter, Gillis, Ferguson Jr., and Weekes, among others - and begin second interviews next week (Rossi)
- Interview scheduled for Gillis (Friedman)
- Drury promoted to AGM with Rangers (Seravelli)
- Penguins interview Weekes and Hextall; to interview Hunter (Lebrun)
- Penguins are not given permission from Seattle to speak to Botterill (McKenzie)
- Penguins' interest level in MacFarland, Fitzgerald, Futa, and Gillis "in flux" (Rossi)
- Penguins interview Allvin and Weekes; Ferguson and Hextall to interview by Friday; Mellanby not interested (Rossi)
- Weekes and Allvin to be among first interviewed (Seravelli)
- Kings grant Penguins permission to speak with Hextall (Lebrun)
- Drury, viewed as "top prospect" by the Penguins, is not interested in leaving NYC (McKenzie)
- Penguins sought and receive permission to speak with Drury, McFarland, and Ferguson Jr. (Seravelli)
- Penguins expect to speak with Allvin, Hextall, Weekes, Futa, Gillis, and Ferguson Jr. (and likely more) this week (Rossi)
- Penguins are still focused on "win-now", per Morehouse (Friedman)

Last edited:
Reactions: FunkySeeFunkyDo

Jacob

as seen on TV
Feb 27, 2002
Pens set to announce Chiarelli as new GM by tomorrow.

:sarcasm:
r-budd-dwyerjpg-0059b77591657da4.jpg

maxpenguins6630

Apr 13, 2004
If we go the very experienced route... give me GM George Mcphee.

Some GM I dont really want:

Chiarelly
Nieuwendyk
Weekes
Ferguson
Mcguire
Botterill

If they hire on of these I will have a new team at the same moment

Reactions: pensfan71

BHD

Vejmelka for Vezina
Dec 27, 2009
Moncton, NB
I’d rather Hextall than Hunter.

For those unfamiliar with Hunter's responsibilities with the Leafs...

Sportsnet said:
Hunter was in charge of Toronto’s pro scouting, amateur scouting and player evaluation departments. Dubas was GM of the American Hockey League’s Toronto Marlies, overseeing all prospects within the club’s system while also leading the Leafs’ player development, hockey research and development departments.

Reactions: Tom Hanks

madinsomniac

Jul 3, 2012
Pittsburgh, Pa
Feeling sort of like the post Bylsma coach hire... thats a lot of guys turning down interviews for such a “premium” gm spot... there must be known issues in the front office above the GM role... people should be fighting to geta couple years at a contender window and basically a free pass through the rebuilding process

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
So in the other thread you talked about “that guy” and I’m assuming you meant Pouliot...but then you said “that guy” got us Dumo and that threw me to the direction of Staal lol

Yeah I meant Pouliot

66-30-33

Jan 24, 2006
Victoria, BC
Feeling sort of like the post Bylsma coach hire... thats a lot of guys turning down interviews for such a “premium” gm spot... there must be known issues in the front office above the GM role... people should be fighting to geta couple years at a contender window and basically a free pass through the rebuilding process

Huh? only Drury passed. Probably because he's not that expierienced and would be thrown to the wolves to sink or swim. Or he was told he will replace Gorton as GM in the future and prefers the NY lifestyle.

Your Boy Troy

Sep 19, 2013
Brampton, Ontario
Mike Futa is a name that has been circulated for years as a GM candidate whenever there’s a vacant position. His résumé speaks for itself. He is definitely the most intriguing candidate, IMO.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Who knows? To turn down such a large promotion says quite a bit, especially after he interviews with the Panthers. He withdrew his application, but he at least interviewed there.

Hextall might just be desperate for a job since he’s what, a part-time advisor for the Kings? Is he even heavily coveted by the league? Guys like that don’t really impress me much.

Hard pass on:
Chia
Nieuwendyk
Weekes
Ferguson

But being unbiased, the Pens’ situation isn’t very attractive right now. Awful prospects, no first round pick, aging stars, self imposed cap, skeleton crew of a front office. The Pens’ best years are in the rear view mirror in the near future.

Do you think this team will let the new GM do whatever they want? They will be stuck with Sully as well.

Last edited:

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013

Not necessarily, im assuming Drury got a raise to stay on or he believes he is next in line in NY same with Mellanby.

Also jumping to a team midseason Especially during Covid is chaos waiting to happen.

Pens x

Oct 8, 2016
Not necessarily, im assuming Drury got a raise to stay on or he believes he is next in line in NY same with Mellanby.

Also jumping to a team midseason Especially during Covid is chaos waiting to happen.
Mellanby is like a year younger than Bergevin, who is on track to win GM of the year. He might not get that opportunity.

As for Drury, Gorton is only 52 years old. Who is to say he leaves any time soon? Plus, Drury at least interviewed with the Panthers, although he withdrew his application AFTER. He doesn’t even want to bother interviewing here.

And give me a break, these guys have to wait years to get these jobs, COVID or not.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
Mellanby is like a year younger than Bergevin, who is on track to win GM of the year. He might not get that opportunity.

As for Drury, Gorton is only 52 years old. Who is to say he leaves any time soon? Plus, Drury at least interviewed with the Panthers, although he withdrew his application AFTER. He doesn’t even want to bother interviewing here.

If thats true about drury its pretty reasonable hes not looking to leave NY. Or at the very least NY is making it worth his staying.

Mellanby is also working where he grew up as well.

i do know for sure obviously but i think people that are looking for a GM job aren't dismissing this one because of upper management rumors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad