GM search 2017 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Why Guerin over Botterill?

As I said I wanted neither.

Liked guerin as a player always comes across well in interviews.. I know these aren't valid reasons.

I think the penguins whole 'dynasty' and the way they have built their team is over rated by a lot of people. Where would they have been without lucking into Crosby & having another truly generational talent in malkin...?

Even Bylsma won a cup there...

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas

Liked guerin as a player always comes across well in interviews.. I know these aren't valid reasons.

I think the penguins whole 'dynasty' and the way they have built their team is over rated by a lot of people. Where would they have been without lucking into Crosby & having another truly generational talent in malkin...?

Who was your top choice?

Dex

Complementary
Sponsor
Dec 5, 2011
Under Deep Cover
The AHL committee is real, they are who vote on things like conference realignment. If I remember right, there is one representative from each team in the league with possibly some seats for Dave Andrews and other AHL executives.

I have no idea if Eklund is talking out of his ass, but it would make sense.

Edit: Seems like I'm thinking of the board of governors, but I still believe there are team representatives on the board.

Probably not relevant any longer and the Ecklund piece may have been changed, but I just read it and it says:

" a source has informed me that the AHL made it known to their constituents that Botterill would no longer be able to fulfill his duties of chairing one of the AHL committees and they were looking for another GM in the AHL to take over the position..."

So not the AHL committee, but one of the AHL committees

Jame

Sep 4, 2002
Florida

The value in that Pittsburgh front office, isn't that they were able to win with two superstars, it's that they were able to recognize change in the league, and pivot to remain successful.

Mike Sullivan was Botterill's pick, that says a lot IMO.

Cirris

Nov 10, 2006
Crackport
The fact that there hasn't been any news or rumblings makes me think it has to be Botterill, and they're waiting for the end of the Pens-Caps series. Otherwise, what would be the point of waiting to announce who they hired?

Considering the new GM has a ton of work to do just preparing the team for the 2 drafts and combine, If it is was any GM candidate that isn't still in the playoff hunt, the Sabres would have surely announced it by now.

It Has to be Botteril.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

I was skeptical on Botterill initially. But the more I've read and heard about him the more heartened I am about him as GM. It really has little to do with the Pens for me. It's his overall background, skill set and mentality. At least as I've read about it.

He got an MBA after his playing days to get the skills for this career change. He came into management as a money/cap guy. Not the typical former player turns coach/manager type by any means. Everyone I've heard on NHL network talk about him reference his skill set in analytics, cap management, his structured/disciplined approach as well as his assessment capabilities. They also mentioned his integrity, intelligence and generally being a good guy.

What I got out of most of it was he will be able to assemble a strong management team. One that will work cohesively and be very structured and detail oriented. On that side of things he sounds very much liken McDermitt.

Myllz

RELEASE THE KRAKEN
Jan 16, 2006
Vegas
I know I didn't want Botterill when we were looking for a GM when Murray was hired. He sounded like a candidate simply because he played in Rochester and would be familiar with Buffalo. I like him a lot more now, and I'm more than comfortable if he's the hire.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
I know I didn't want Botterill when we were looking for a GM when Murray was hired. He sounded like a candidate simply because he played in Rochester and would be familiar with Buffalo. I like him a lot more now, and I'm more than comfortable if he's the hire.

This is where I am at. He's qualified and near the top of these lists. His hire isn't just a back to the Pittsburgh well selection.

Which makes me wonder, who made the call? Pegulas normally fall in love with random people. This move makes sense so I wonder who might be advising them this time?

5 Minute Major

Sabres Fan
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2010
Vestal, NY

Same but I also am going to take a wait and see approach before heaping any praise on him or the new HC when he is named. Been too optimistic about hirings in the past with both Buffalo franchises only to have it blow up in my face.

struckbyaparkedcar

Guilty of Being Right
Mar 1, 2008
Upstate NY
The value in that Pittsburgh front office, isn't that they were able to win with two superstars, it's that they were able to recognize change in the league, and pivot to remain successful.

Mike Sullivan was Botterill's pick, that says a lot IMO.
I know you're all about the Lovejoy deal, but correcting the Perron trade by adding longer term salary is not something most cap teams do. Especially when the long term salary is at best a great role player and was only scoring every 15 games.

Sabre the Win

Joke of a Franchise
Jun 27, 2013
Same but I also am going to take a wait and see approach before heaping any praise on him or the new HC when he is named. Been too optimistic about hirings in the past with both Buffalo franchises only to have it blow up in my face.
This. I will be completely impartial to the Botterill hiring or any GM hiring for that matter. Maybe more open to BriseBois but even then I was excited for Tim Murray and now I feel disappointment; not from drafting but where we are currently.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
Won't be suprised nor disappointed if it is indeed Botts. Holding out hope for Fenton still but looks fruitless.

Never saw any mention of a Zito followup, either a dismissal or second interview. Anyone?

truthbluth

Feb 2, 2011
Won't be suprised nor disappointed if it is indeed Botts. Holding out hope for Fenton still but looks fruitless.

Never saw any mention of a Zito followup, either a dismissal or second interview. Anyone?

My order of combo preference:
Fenton/Housley
Dubas/Keefe
Botterill/Tocchet

But

Botterill/Housley

Would be so close to Fenton/Housley that it'd be a toss up.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I was skeptical on Botterill initially. But the more I've read and heard about him the more heartened I am about him as GM. It really has little to do with the Pens for me. It's his overall background, skill set and mentality. At least as I've read about it.

He got an MBA after his playing days to get the skills for this career change. He came into management as a money/cap guy. Not the typical former player turns coach/manager type by any means. Everyone I've heard on NHL network talk about him reference his skill set in analytics, cap management, his structured/disciplined approach as well as his assessment capabilities. They also mentioned his integrity, intelligence and generally being a good guy.

What I got out of most of it was he will be able to assemble a strong management team. One that will work cohesively and be very structured and detail oriented. On that side of things he sounds very much liken McDermitt.

Thanks guys your comments are reassuring.

I still get the feeling pegula is going back to the pittsburgh 'well' though.

Plus I wanted someone experienced.

Last edited:

AustonsNostrils

Apr 5, 2016
With who? You? Because you hate everything. So he probably shouldn't worry about it

He'll lose currency with a lot of people besides me if the search for a coach begins and ends in Pittsburgh.

What logic is there in limiting yourself to a handful of coaching prospects when there's an entire hockey world of them?

Samsonite23

All Hail King Tuch
Sponsor
Jul 2, 2011
Downtown Buffalo
He'll lose currency with a lot of people besides me if the search for a coach begins and ends in Pittsburgh.

What logic is there in limiting yourself to a handful of coaching prospects when there's an entire hockey world of them?

Well, his last coaching hire was pretty awesome. So most rational people would give him the benefit of the doubt that he knows what he's doing. If he sees a guy in Pittsburgh that's a very good coach, it makes sense to hire him.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

What logic is there in you getting preemptively wound up over something that hasn't happened and may never happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad