GM search 2017 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

gallagt01

Jun 10, 2006
Sloan
It will be interesting to see how Botteril (if he is indeed the hire), an analytics guy, applies context to the Sabres players' underlying metrics. I mean, he has to know Risto doesn't suck, right?

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
It will be interesting to see how Botteril (if he is indeed the hire), an analytics guy, applies context to the Sabres players' underlying metrics. I mean, he has to know Risto doesn't suck, right?

If his view after reviewing everything was Risto is a wiz up the ice but needs help in his own end from a defensively oriented player, that would be alright.

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
I'm good with a Gills/Botts/Coach front office. Experience on one side, analytical forward thinker on the other. They just need the same vision.

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY
I'm good with a Gills/Botts/Coach front office. Experience on one side, analytical forward thinker on the other. They just need the same vision.

wait, is gillis a thing? I haven't heard of it past sabres fans dreaming. I thought he was kind of a bad gm, no? I guess he did get them to game 7 against the bruins...

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
I don't even know where this thread is going anymore there were two pages of nonsense about Ted Nolan... REBOOT.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
The fact that there hasn't been any news or rumblings makes me think it has to be Botterill, and they're waiting for the end of the Pens-Caps series. Otherwise, what would be the point of waiting to announce who they hired?

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
The fact that there hasn't been any news or rumblings makes me think it has to be Botterill, and they're waiting for the end of the Pens-Caps series. Otherwise, what would be the point of waiting to announce who they hired?

It's already been reported he's the guy, everything points to the GM search being over and him being named after the Penguins series.

Montag DP

Sabres fan in...
Apr 4, 2007
...Maryland
It's already been reported he's the guy, everything points to the GM search being over and him being named after the Penguins series.
Has it been reported? I haven't seen anything more certain than most people (including the well-respected journalists, which certainly counts for something) thinking it's him. But I agree, everything points to Botterill being the guy.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Only thing reported from sources is other candidates being out. Otherwise it's speculation from well-respected journalists, based largely on the silence they are getting at this stage. With preds already being out and Fenton not announced, Botterill is the only sensible one left, otherwise you'd be hearing about more people getting interviewed I'd assume

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Has it been reported? I haven't seen anything more certain than most people (including the well-respected journalists, which certainly counts for something) thinking it's him. But I agree, everything points to Botterill being the guy.

This is the best we have at this point.

Deleted member 27798

I don't get all this speculation of Botterill is their man, and they are waiting for the Caps vs. Pens series to end. Why? It is a 2nd round series. Who cares if he leaves today, or after finding out who wins the series.

As AGM, IMO he is playing an insignificant role in the series.

Oh well, I just hope whether its Botterill or someone else, that the hire is completed sometime this week. The longer it goes on, the more nervous I get that they somehow screw this up once again.

"Craigs on it"
Apr 9, 2012
Canada
Botterill has left his position of the AHL committee FWIW per Eklund

Last edited:

sabresEH

May 17, 2009
Kelowna, BC
Aside from the Eklund part, what does that even mean? That he "left his position of the AHL committee"

My guess is each organization has someone on the AHL committee and him leaving it means he will no longer be working for Pitts as their AGM.

jc17

Jun 14, 2013
If his view after reviewing everything was Risto is a wiz up the ice but needs help in his own end from a defensively oriented player, that would be alright.

That would be alright. It's amazing though, during the season how many people defended his game as perfect, or great in the d-zone.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
My guess is each organization has someone on the AHL committee and him leaving it means he will no longer be working for Pitts as their AGM.

That is a possibility but also Guerin could take over those responsibilities and Botterill remain with Pitt. Just saying...

kritter65

Jun 30, 2008
Buffalo
wait, is gillis a thing? I haven't heard of it past sabres fans dreaming. I thought he was kind of a bad gm, no? I guess he did get them to game 7 against the bruins...

I posted earlier in this thread that there's been scuttlebutt about Gillis becoming the teams president, but my post mysteriously disappeared.

Deleted member 27798

Would he get a ring if Pit wins the cup if he left after the series?

I would say no because he wont officially be with the organization but who knows.

I would say yes but I only know the rules for players not management 41 games during regular season or 1 playoff game.

yes he would get a ring. a shiny new big fat ring.
A team can give a championship ring to whoever they want to. What is being thought of here, is having your name on the Cup.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad