GM search 2017 part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
1point21Gigawatts said:
Admittedly, i don't remember the last GM search very clearly, but the process feels a lot more involved and thorough this time around. It almost looks like the Sabres are considering anyone and everyone eligible.

Doesn't hurt to pick a lot of brains, so long as they don't take forever to make their decision

Correct

Jan 30, 2015
Quoting from this post from Dreakon13

Depending on the validity of those reports and the motives/data behind them, I'd say that's as good as anything for one to "base their opinions" on.

It's not like any of us actually have any control over who the Sabres decide on, who cares who anyone here "cheerleads" for. We all just want what we perceive is best for the team... because we like watching them, (in many cases) have a lot invested in them, and want them to succeed.

I'd argue it's an awful thing to base your opinion on. Most of these reports are a mix of made-up information, exaggerations, crumbs made out to be news, purposeful misdirection, favors, etc. In my experience there is no correlation between media reports and truth.

In my opinion, the best way to evaluate somebody is to watch them with your own eyes. That's why I trust people who spend hours watching players on tape, even if they are not scouts. I respect them because they don't let the noise affect them. What I'm seeing is opinions and sides being formed based on nothing but noise.

Your last paragraph was very positive, but it's sidestepping the point. My point is that most people here have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to this GM search. Sure we're fans, but you're changing the context.

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
They better find one fast enough that they can establish a staff to properly evaluate the current draft....

Captain Holt

Fun? I was never fun! You take that back
Jul 10, 2013
Buffalo
Re: The experience thing.

Terry also said immediately after that, that things could change.

I'm guessing they saw who was available with experience, saw how a Sean McDermott type tingled his loins, and decided to be more cutting edge/progressive.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
Doesn't hurt to pick a lot of brains, so long as they don't take forever to make their decision

Wasn't there rumblings when LaFontaine was doing his GM search that other teams were becoming annoyed at how long/many people he was interviewing in the sense they felt he was using it as a way to pick the brains of other organizations internal processes. I vaguely remember a couple comments suggesting that.

tsujimoto74

May 28, 2012
Re: The experience thing.

Terry also said immediately after that, that things could change.

I'm guessing they saw who was available with experience, saw how a Sean McDermott type tingled his loins, and decided to be more cutting edge/progressive.

Also experience doesn't have to mean "has already been an NHL GM." A lot of these AGMs have been in front offices for a long time and have lots of experience in various lesser managerial roles.

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I'd argue it's an awful thing to base your opinion on. Most of these reports are a mix of made-up information, exaggerations, crumbs made out to be news, purposeful misdirection, favors, etc. In my experience there is no correlation between media reports and truth.

In my opinion, the best way to evaluate somebody is to watch them with your own eyes. That's why I trust people who spend hours watching players on tape, even if they are not scouts. I respect them because they don't let the noise affect them. What I'm seeing is opinions and sides being formed based on nothing but noise.

Your last paragraph was very positive, but it's sidestepping the point. My point is that most people here have no idea what they're talking about when it comes to this GM search. Sure we're fans, but you're changing the context.
No media report about anything has ever been true? Not even a little? C'mon, that's just silly.

I understand your point, I guess I'm not sure why you're making it. If fans opinions on managerial decisions actually mattered... I'd be right here with you.
Since they don't matter, just let us have our fun. Even if it is based ever so slightly in ignorance.

Paxon

202* Stanley Cup Champions
Jul 13, 2003
Rochester, NY
Wasn't there rumblings when LaFontaine was doing his GM search that other teams were becoming annoyed at how long/many people he was interviewing in the sense they felt he was using it as a way to pick the brains of other organizations internal processes. I vaguely remember a couple comments suggesting that.

It was referenced, though I don't remember if it was referenced as other organizations being mad about it or just as something he was doing. The process from firing Darcy to hiring Murray took way too long, at any rate.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
And most of these candidates are probably a part of the draft prep of their current clubs.

They won't get a MIB-style mind eraser on the way out the door.
"It's strange you guys see Heiskanen as a Goaltender we had him as more of a Defensemen."

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Also experience doesn't have to mean "has already been an NHL GM." A lot of these AGMs have been in front offices for a long time and have lots of experience in various lesser managerial roles.

True, but some haven't, as well.

Drury has been an AGM for less than 12 months, for example.

haseoke39

Mar 29, 2011
For GM 2107 -- I pick the half-cyborg laboratory clone of Stan Bowman.

But it's a little premature, I think.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
It's just strange that Terry instantly shot down the idea of a team president hire at the press conference but Friedman and a few others are convinced they are hiring multiple people and yet the only names we've had confirmed are for the GM position and that's ultimately a process a president should be involved in. It's also strange that Lombardi checked all of the boxes Terry mentioned and they haven't interviewed him for GM yet. Makes me wonder if Lombardi is the one advising them during the interview process and if he will be announced as president when the GM is selected.

sjci

Feb 13, 2007
Buffalo

Difference this time around might be Pegula going to the Owners and asking to interview their guys rather than Lafontaine asking the GMs, to talk to their AGMs. But who knows.

Baccus

Garage League filled with Mickey Mouse teams
Feb 18, 2014
For GM 2107 -- I pick the half-cyborg laboratory clone of Stan Bowman.

But it's a little premature, I think.

Because Bowman did such a bang up job as GM here the first time you want his zombie clone brought in?

It's just strange that Terry instantly shot down the idea of a team president hire at the press conference but Friedman and a few others are convinced they are hiring multiple people and yet the only names we've had confirmed are for the GM position and that's ultimately a process a president should be involved in. It's also strange that Lombardi checked all of the boxes Terry mentioned and they haven't interviewed him for GM yet. Makes me wonder if Lombardi is the one advising them during the interview process and if he will be announced as president when the GM is selected.

If they haven't asked/been given permission to interview Lombardi, how could they be talking to him for anything else? Seems unlikely that they would be playing word games as to having permission to talk and for which position.

Mattilaus

Sep 12, 2014
Beyond the Wall
Because Bowman did such a bang up job as GM here the first time you want his zombie clone brought in?

If they haven't asked/been given permission to interview Lombardi, how could they be talking to him for anything else? Seems unlikely that they would be playing word games as to having permission to talk and for which position.

Stan Bowman was a GM here?

dire wolf

immaculate vibes
May 9, 2006
Out in LA

"Experience" can also mean experience as a player (e.g., Drury and Guerin). Some of Pegula's comments suggested that GMTM was out of touch with the players and building a winning culture throughout the organization.

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY

He shot it down but later said the process may take them in various directions (in terms of the management structure)

Heretic

May 25, 2012
Brooklyn, NY

Honestly, I think Terry misheard the question. He asked him to repeat it and I think he thought they either asked if he regrets Patty going or not hiring a president with murray, not what he might do in the future.

Moskau

Jun 30, 2004
WNY
He shot it down but later said the process may take them in various directions (in terms of the management structure)
Which if you believe Friedman has taken a turn to multiple hires. Just seems like you would want your team president to be involved with the process. What if we hire someone after we select the GM and it turns out he never called our GMs sister back after a date in 1991 and the two hate each other? :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad