Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
We sure as hell are winning a lot of games with those good ole grinders that make up half our roster
We need a bunch of help. Duclair isn’t what we need. We need two solid D, two more NHL centres, a top 6 RW like hmmm, Mark Stone ? We need a new owner, GM and maybe a new coaching staff. We need all that, but we don’t need a Duclair or Hoffman .

Reactions: windfield

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
We need a bunch of help. Duclair isn’t what we need. We need two solid D, two more NHL centres, a top 6 RW like hmmm, Mark Stone ? We need a new owner, GM and maybe a new coaching staff. We need all that, but we don’t need a Duclair or Hoffman .

Sure. But not every player we acquire now, or in the next couple of years, needs to be a perfect, complete player who'll contribute to a Stanley Cup contending team. We need skilled players in the interim, even if they have flaws.

Getting a winger who can play on a line with Stützle and take a pass in stride, without fumbling the puck, and get shots on net would help. Even if they don't block shots.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Sure. But not every player we acquire now, or in the next couple of years, needs to be a perfect, complete player who'll contribute to a Stanley Cup contending team. We need skilled players in the interim, even if they have flaws.

Getting a winger who can play on a line with Stützle and take a pass in stride, without fumbling the puck, and get shots on net would help. Even if they don't block shots.
I’m sick of placeholders, I want players who are good players. Spend money and assets for the pieces we need.

Reactions: SensFactor

Emerica

May 29, 2010
I disagree.

There is very little skill in this lineup and it shows every single game. Batherson has been playing at over a ppg clip (small sample, of course), he's been playing well with Norris and Tkachuk and we need to find someone that meshes well with Stutzle to round out the top-6. I didn't care that much about losing Duclair at the time as i thought we'd at least try to find an adequate replacement but him or Hoffman during his prime would look great on our second line right about now.

Also, every team needs a Mark Stone, fact of the matter is these guys are unicorns. That's not saying much

Reactions: Agent Zub

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
I disagree.

There is very little skill in this lineup and it shows every single game. Batherson has been playing at over a ppg clip (small sample, of course), he's been playing well with Norris and Tkachuk and we need to find someone that meshes well with Stutzle to round out the top-6. I didn't care that much about losing Duclair at the time as i thought we'd at least try to find an adequate replacement but him or Hoffman during his prime would look great on our second line right about now.

Also, every team needs a Mark Stone, fact of the matter is these guys are unicorns. That's not saying much
Set the bar higher. Get a centre like Kaddish or Copp. Get a winger like Burakovski or Fiala.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Set the bar higher. Get a centre like Kaddish or Copp. Get a winger like Burakovski or Fiala.

Burakovsky or Fiala? I thought you wanted complete players? Fiala, despite being good offensively, has been benched in recent games because he doesn't like to play defence. Burakovsky is skilled, but soft as butter. The guy has 10 hits and 4 blocks this year! Fiala has 13 and 3. Duclair has 6 and 6, and the most points.

I'd take either of those guys, no doubt, but if you're going to rag on Duclair, those are two odd examples to bring up.

I'll give you Copp.

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Does not compute.

How can you say you want guys who block shots, throw hits, "does what it takes to win" and then say you want Burakovski or Fiala, neither do any of those things. I get you are doubling down on not liking Duclair but you are all over the place with that take.

Also, setting the bar any higher than wanting a Duclair or Hoffman level player on our second line is just setting up for disappointment with this franchise/management team.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Burakovsky or Fiala? I thought you wanted complete players? Fiala, despite being good offensively, has been benched in recent games because he doesn't like to play defence. Burakovsky is skilled, but soft as butter. The guy has 10 hits and 4 blocks this year! Fiala has 13 and 3.

I'd take either of those guys, no doubt, but if you're going to rag on Duclair, those are two odd examples to bring up.

I'll give you Copp.
Fiala always seemed pretty competitive when I watched him in Nashville, so I’m surprised by that benching. I mixed up my Washington Russians. I meant Kuznetsov, I know he’s a douche but I like his game.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Fiala always seemed pretty competitive when I watched him in Nashville, so I’m surprised by that benching. I mixed up my Washington Russians. I meant Kuznetsov, I know he’s a douche but I like his game.

That's an even odder comparison. Kuznetsov is Duclair on steroids. Great offensively, but the farthest thing from a "team player" as you can find.

He basically disproves your entire argument that you need to hit and block shots to win. He doesn't care to do either, and pisses off his coaches to boot, yet wins.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That's an even odder comparison. Kuznetsov is Duclair on steroids. Great offensively, but the farthest thing from a "team player" as you can find.
He plays with an edge and is ridiculously skilled. He is low character for sure but I wouldn’t say he isn’t a team first player on the ice. Pipe dreams anyway, team won’t spend what is necessary.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
He plays with an edge and is ridiculously skilled. He is low character for sure but I wouldn’t say he isn’t a team first player on the ice. Pipe dreams anyway, team won’t spend what is necessary.

Kuznetsov haș averaged about 0.5/hits per game over his career, and blocks a shot about once every 3 games. If by edge you mean he's happy to slash someone and skate to the bench... you're right. He is very skilled though, which offsets those other deficiencies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Kuznetsov haș averaged about 0.5/hits per game over his career. If by edge you mean he's happy to slash someone and skate to the bench... you're right. He is very skilled though, which offsets those other deficiencies.
He seems to be in the middle of all the scrums, seems more physical than .5 per game.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
He has 340 hits his entire NHL career. In comparison, Tkachuk has had 308 in the last 68 games.
Ah well the numbers don’t back up my perception. Doesn’t matter we will wind up with some 33 year old on an over priced 1 year deal or another year of Ennis or both. Yippee

Agent Zub

Jan 2, 2015
the only edge Kuznetsov knows is the one on the razor blade he uses to cut up his coke

I get it for the joke but Kuznetsov plays with a nice edge to his game.

He was the playoffs best player when the Caps won the cup. You don't do that without an edge.

Reactions: GCK

robsenz

Apr 15, 2007
He failed this offseason, but really. It's hard to judge what this year could have looked like if the team didn't battle these injuries. That being said. year after year it's like the management forgets we're always losing guys long term. we have depth, just weak depth.

cudi

Mojo So Dope
Feb 2, 2020
I get it for the joke but Kuznetsov plays with a nice edge to his game.

He was the playoffs best player when the Caps won the cup. You don't do that without an edge.

do you consider Phil Kessel to have an edge? What about Spezza? He lead the Sens in scoring when we went to the cup in 07. I guess it all comes down to a personal definition.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad