Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part VI

Status
Not open for further replies.

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Cole Sillinger made the team in Columbus. Looks to be centering Laine and Voracek, whilst Tyler Boucher will be grinding away in board battles in the NCAA. Just reminder that he isn’t even that good at the thing that everyone thinks he is some kind of savant at.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
Cole Sillinger made the team in Columbus. Looks to be centering Laine and Voracek, whilst Tyler Boucher will be grinding away in board battles in the NCAA. Just reminder that he isn’t even that good at the thing that everyone thinks he is some kind of savant at.

Ya but like why score when you can hit everything?

Reactions: SENStastic

SENStastic

Sep 27, 2015
Ya but like why score when you can hit everything?

Exactly, why waste a top 10 pick on actual skilled players if you can pull off a genius reach of the decade on a low ceiling grinder instead. We've got too many skilled players as it, needed more agitators for sure.

Artanis

Dec 1, 2011
Ottawa
Exactly, why waste a top 10 pick on actual skilled players if you can pull off a genius reach of the decade on a low ceiling grinder instead. We've got too many skilled players as it, needed more agitators for sure.

I actually took Sillinger in my dynasty league, extremely pumped lol

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I dunno. People made the same comments about Pinto, and were dead wrong.

Brady is another obvious example.

Some people even complained about Sanderson, Kleven, the list goes on. Many people what on every single pick over the last two drafts… Truly mystifying.

Now Boucher…

The one lesson I think should have been learned for sure by this point is to just wait and see how these picks pan out before running our mouths.

This scouting crew has been really good.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Like I said on draft day, we drafted elite physicality with ok skill and passed up elite skill with ok physicality to do it.

I do think Sillinger will eventually find himself playing LW though, as that's probably where he fits better than up the middle.

Reactions: SENStastic

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
I dunno. People made the same comments about Pinto, and were dead wrong.

Brady is another obvious example.

Some people even complained about Sanderson, Kleven, the list goes on. Many people what on every single pick over the last two drafts… Truly mystifying.

Now Boucher…

The one lesson I think should have been learned for sure by this point is to just wait and see how these picks pan out before running our mouths.

This scouting crew has been really good.

The Boucher pick is similar to the Tkachuk pick in a lot of ways. One of them is that the selection being a "success" depends on the higher upside players drafted after him failing to translate their games to the NHL level.

Brady has proven to be a good pick not because he's showed some hidden upside that no one thought he had (he's proven to be the 50P powerforward we thought we'd be getting), but rather because the guys thought of as having higher upside on draft day have failed to live up to expectations. Zadina hasn't done much, Dobson looks like a top 4 D but not a #1 guy, Boqvist hasn't looked that great and Bouchard has yet to establish himself. Hughes is the only high-upside guy that was thought of as a potential pick at #4 that has met or exceeded expectations and could be argued was the better selection.

I'm pretty confident Boucher is going to be an NHLer and probably a good one too, but we probably left some upside on the board at 10. Could still turn out to be the "right pick" if the alternatives fail to meet their potential, but I'm skeptical.

Reactions: DrEasy

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Is this a serious post? They were drafted 2 months ago.
Or they could have drafted the skilled player who was ready. Hmmm
How are you watching Pinto and complaining about this right now. I thought your first post was satire but you were serious.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Or they could have drafted the skilled player who was ready. Hmmm
Meh tons of guys make it to the nhl right away and nothing happens

MDZ, Sbisa , Schenn made it before a guy like peiteranglo

I’m not saying Boucher will become better but let’s wait and see

IlTerrifico

Oct 24, 2016
The way I see it, the Sens already have their 4 top 6 who will be 25-30 goal scorers and 50-65 point players in Batherson, Tkachuk, Brown and Norris.

They have 1 elite star scorer to be hopefully in Stutzle. And they need another elite scorer by another means - hopefully a good trade.

Adding another to the 4 good not great forwards in Sillinger shouldn't help push them to major contenders, but Boucher and Pinto set the plate for a dominant physical 3rd line that can win regular season games and change playoff series.

Yes we could use another good player now, but Sillinger would need to become great to fill a need if we hope to be contenders. And where would he slot long term as a center on this team?

branch

#GirlBoss #Vibes
Jan 12, 2008
Maybe you need to take your own advice before deciding if Boucher was a bad pick or not. There are plenty of things to complain about being a sens fan. Drafting isn't one if them.
Lol what are you guys talking about. I just said Sillinger made the team

Reactions: Cosmix

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Maybe you need to take your own advice before deciding if Boucher was a bad pick or not. There are plenty of things to complain about being a sens fan. Drafting isn't one if them.

Drafting as a whole is the best thing about this organization.

Doesn't mean individual draft picks are above criticism.

The Expert

Registered Expert
Aug 31, 2008
BC
Drafting as a whole is the best thing about this organization.

Doesn't mean individual draft picks are above criticism.
No but completely passing judgment on a pick two months after the draft is silly and deserves to be called out. You criticized the Pinto pick on draft day and look how that turned out.

Reactions: bert

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ok bert let's relax a bit here

No, when you post stupid shit you get called on it... You can keep pumping Silkinger's tires if you like and I'm sure guys like @bert will call you on it

You're going out of your way to paint a picture of incompetence and there's a lot of people that post here that are getting tired of that particular schtick

Reactions: The Expert

R2010

May 23, 2011
Repeat after me. The Boucher pick is not comparable to Tkachuk or Sanderson. Boucher was picked like 20 places ahead of where he was on bobs list and that’s hard to do at the top of the draft.

Taking Boucher above Sillinger was a huge misjudgement. If a player produces that well in so many different leagues and has good size and compete they are basically cant miss. Passing on Sillinger for Boucher is going to look worse than passing on Mantha for Lazar

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad