Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
The defence projections simply don't make sense. Acquiring Toews and Ryan Murray certainly speed up the rebuild, but absolutely block Sanderson and JBD . That doesn't make any sense? Short term plugs make sense to make sure these young D play.

And yes, Bowen Byram would look good...but better than Tkahuk?

I wouldn't call it solid, but what they are suggesting effectively messes the rebuild. Team has to stay the course, and let the young prospects play at the right time.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Imagine where this team would be if Toews and Murray were in instead of Brown, Gudbranson and Coburn...
To be fair, both are LHD so would probably pushou out Brannstrom.

I mean, we could push our Reilly and move Brannstrom to the right, but the coach has been reluctant to do either of those things

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005
The defence projections simply don't make sense. Acquiring Toews and Ryan Murray certainly speed up the rebuild, but absolutely block Sanderson and JBD . That doesn't make any sense? Short term plugs make sense to make sure these young D play.

I wouldn't call it solid, but what they are suggesting effectively messes the rebuild. Team has to stay the course, and let the young prospects play at the right time.

Still could have done a bit of both, one of Toews/Murray and Gudbranson.

Besides, it's all a bit of a silly exercise. We can always say we "could have" drafted/signed any player and build the greatest team ever with these hypotheticals. We had some hits and had some misses this off season, but ultimately, the rebuild was not jeopardized. So I'm not going to lose any sleep over things.

Reactions: aragorn and coladin

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.PIERRE★
Jul 26, 2005

I mean, we could push our Reilly and move Brannstrom to the right, but the coach has been reluctant to do either of those things

Wolanin or Reilly would have been the guy that would have been pushed out.

We could have done:

Chabot-Zaitsev
Towes/Murray-Zub
Brannstrom-Gudbranson

But then I'm sure everyone would have complained that we didn't give Wolanin a chance since everyone around here thought he was a sure fire top 4. Hindsight is 20/20. We also didn't know Zub was going to be as good as this.

Reactions: aragorn

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Wolanin or Reilly would have been the guy that would have been pushed out.

We could have done:

Chabot-Zaitsev
Towes/Murray-Zub
Brannstrom-Gudbranson

But then I'm sure everyone would have complained that we didn't give Wolanin a chance since everyone around here thought he was a sure fire top 4. Hindsight is 20/20.

So you think our coach would push out Reilly the guy logging top 4 mins for the the team right all season rather than the guy he currently has as a healthy scratch? The same coach that healthy scratched White so that Anisimov could sufficiently prove he isn't NHL caliber?

I suppose anything is possible.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
we also don't know if toews would have actually signed here. I mean I would say its unlikely with being the worst team and all

Shruggs Peterson

Mar 1, 2017

Very true. For the purposes of the article and the argument about what could have been for asset management, things could obviously have gone better.

Of those two, Ryan Murray would be been the preferred choice if we're thinking long term, but it's all a moot point with this love affair of Mike Reilly.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008

Murray is a UFA at the end of this season. He's not blocking anyone.

Toews is a young top 4 D and if acquiring him means pushing Brannstrom to the right side (where he prefers to play) or trading him for forward help, you do it without thinking twice if it only costs two late 2nds to make it happen.

Having too many good young D is a hell of a problem to have. Would hate to be in Colorado's position right now :laugh:

Also we missed out on Byram because of the Duchene trade, and choosing to take Tkachuk doesn't change that.

Reactions: Upgrayedd

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
Just a random thought but I feel like we would have been a much better team this year had we gone after Corey Perry and Jason Spezza instead of Stepan and Galchenyuk.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Just a random thought but I feel like we would have been a much better team this year had we gone after Corey Perry and Jason Spezza instead of Stepan and Galchenyuk.

Is this under the assuption that they'd have come here and been roster players contributing more or is just because we wouldn't have had Stepan or Galchenyuk? Eh, forget it, either way you're right.

Reactions: DrEasy

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Murray is a UFA at the end of this season. He's not blocking anyone.

Toews is a young top 4 D and if acquiring him means pushing Brannstrom to the right side (where he prefers to play) or trading him for forward help, you do it without thinking twice if it only costs two late 2nds to make it happen.

Having too many good young D is a hell of a problem to have. Would hate to be in Colorado's position right now :laugh:

Also we missed out on Byram because of the Duchene trade, and choosing to take Tkachuk doesn't change that.
So Chabot Zaitsev
Reilly Zub
Toews Murray

going to be tough for Brannstrom to get in there, nevermind Wolanin. The following year, Murray leaves, but Toews would have got term. That leaves Zub, Sanderson and JBD to duke it out for a spot, unless they somehow move Zaistev. These signings may be better for this year, but long term I think derails the rebuild.

The team has come this far, let's stay the course and continue the rebuild, no?

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Woulda, shoulda, coulda, the article is about speculation & what if. Nobody knows why PD took the route he did & whether those guys were available to him or not or whether they would have come here or not. Why would anyone want Ryan Murray, he is injury prone & I believe has only had one season where he played every game & has missed tons of games in his career? Toews would have been a good pickup, but who knows if he would have fit here or done well given all the other problems this defence has had.

Goaltending has been as big a problem as the defence if not bigger at times & Toews would not have been able to change that. Does any know what has happened to Hogberg after such a good end to his season last yr? Why does he suck so much this yr & can't stop a beach ball? Murray has had his ups & downs this yr too, playing some good games & some stinkers. It doesn't matter how good the defence is if the goalie is letting in terrible goals at bad times.

Reilly has had some good games but more bad ones. Wolanin has yet to return to the player before his injury, Brannstrom is suffering with rookie mistakes, Coburn is over the hill, J. Brown isn't good enough & Gudbranson is playing more minutes than he should because so many other defencemen on this team suck. Zaitsev has had a good start to the yr, but last game looked like he was falling back to earth & Chabot has stunk defensively most of the yr constantly giving the puck away. The only real good surprise on defence has been Zub who came in part way after the start of the season & has looked comfortable from Day 1 playing a very solid game in all three zones for a defensive defenceman. The forwards have been better, but they give the puck away quite a lot too & make their own mistakes at critical times that usually end up in the back of our net.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
So Chabot Zaitsev
Reilly Zub
Toews Murray

going to be tough for Brannstrom to get in there, nevermind Wolanin. The following year, Murray leaves, but Toews would have got term. That leaves Zub, Sanderson and JBD to duke it out for a spot, unless they somehow move Zaistev. These signings may be better for this year, but long term I think derails the rebuild.

Chabot - Zaitsev
Toews - Brannstrom
Sanderson - Zub

No problem at all fitting Toews in, and that's assuming Sanderson plays next year, which isn't a guarantee.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
So Chabot Zaitsev
Reilly Zub
Toews Murray

Why is Reilly penciled in as here past this year?

Under this scenario the locks for the next year should be:

Chabot
Zub
Toews

Maybe expose Zaitsev and see if he gets taken. That is IF you sign Murray. But let's say that he doesn't and we let Murray walk (he hasn't been very good this year). Then you have:

Chabot - Zub
Toews - Zaitsev
??? - ???

I think you see who wins the spot between JBD and Sanderson in camp and play whoever does with Brannstrom.

Brannstrom and Sanderson would be a nice 3rd pair who might move up the lineup as the season progresses. And JBD plays AHL for a year while we get closer to moving on from Zaitsev.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
The team is built worse than when Toronto made the playoffs with a lot of rookies in 2016-17

really? Our blue line is so much then anything Toronto built. And they have soft players - Ottawa doesn’t really Have any soft players they’ve developed and drafted.

this Ottawa group will win a Cup - Toronto won’t. And it’s because we have gamers and a better blue line

JungleBeat

Sep 10, 2016
Canada
really? Our blue line is so much then anything Toronto built. And they have soft players - Ottawa doesn’t really Have any soft players they’ve developed and drafted.

this Ottawa group will win a Cup - Toronto won’t. And it’s because we have gamers and a better blue line
Mathews (rookie) > Stutzle (rookie)
Marner ( rookie ) > Brady
Nylander ( rookie ) = Batherson
Rielly (22) < Chabot (24)

Andersen 1st year on team > Murray 1st year on team

Either the leafs core rookies are really good or the Sens team is built terrible.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
The team is built worse than when Toronto made the playoffs with a lot of rookies in 2016-17

We going to ignore Van Riemsdyk and Kadri 2nd and 3rd in team scoring? Bozak is what we wished Stepan's impact to be as well. Andersen was also amazing for them that year, he had .918 sv% we have .888 so far from Murray. If Murray had that save percentage we would be in playoff position right now.

Matthews: 19
JVR: 27
Kadri: 26
Nylander: 20
Marner: 19
Bozak: 30
Gardiner: 26
Andersen: 27

Current Senators(age at "beginning of season"):

Drake: 22
Tkachuk: 21
Chabot: 23
Stutzle: 18
Norris: 21
Brown: 26
White: 23
Murray: 26

Also, it is important to note that the 2016-2017 Leafs roster was all they had in their prospect pipeline.

We still have one of the best prospect pools in the NHL including a top 3 defensive prospect and a top 10-15 centre prospect.

Also, the outlook of our defense is significantly better(which is Toronto's only and biggest downfall). Just note the contribution of Chabot on our team vs their number 2 defender on their team.

Last edited:

Emerica

May 29, 2010
Brannstrom would be in the AHL.
Yeah I don’t think people would have an issue with that if the players playing in front of him were better than him. That’s not the case right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad