Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Maybe another AGM with a hockey background and replacing the pro scouting department. Rutherford is just slightly ahead of Milbury in terms of performance.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Maybe another AGM with a hockey background and replacing the pro scouting department. Rutherford is just slightly ahead of Milbury in terms of performance.

Haha what?

He's won 3 Stanley Cups and has been to the Finals 4 times.

A guy trades a couple of first round picks to try and push a team that already has Crosby, Malkin and Letang over the top and he's just ahead of Milbury?

Crazy talk.

Big Muddy

Dec 15, 2019
This is just a question, but would Rutherford want to come to Ottawa knowing he would have deal with Melnyk? I would think people in the industry talk with each other and get info. Its just a question.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Rutherford gives away first round picks like candy.

That's a no, thank you, from me.

Context matters.

He traded a few first round picks when he was running a team with Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Fleury, 4 future HOFers, to try and help them win more cups. One of those trades, when he acquired Phil Kessel, worked incredibly well.

When he was running the Hurricanes, a small-market budget conscious team, he kept his 1st round pick 15 out of 18 years. One of the times he traded it, he went out and got Doug Weight who went to be a critical piece of their Cup run.

Seems fine to me.

Reactions: Matsens15

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Haha what?

He's won 3 Stanley Cups and has been to the Finals 4 times.

A guy trades a couple of first round picks to try and push a team that already has Crosby, Malkin and Letang over the top and he's just ahead of Milbury?

Crazy talk.
Terrible trades, terrible drafts IMO.

All of his Penguins draft picks combined have played 3 NHL games. He has not acquired any player of significance in Pittsburgh since taking over. All he did was ruin the future of the team he inherited while getting 2 Cups with the team he inherited. His record in Pittsburgh is absolutely atrocious.

Reactions: DJB

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Context matters.

He traded a few first round picks when he was running a team with Crosby, Malkin, Letang and Fleury, 4 future HOFers, to try and help them win more cups. One of those trades, when he acquired Phil Kessel, worked incredibly well.

When he was running the Hurricanes, a small-market budget conscious team, he kept his 1st round pick 15 out of 18 years. One of the times he traded it, he went out and got Doug Weight who went to be a critical piece of their Cup run.

Seems fine to me.
Yes my mistake. I thought he took over after that trade. My point stands, he overpays on every trade.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004

Doesn’t surprise me melnyk wouldn’t support BLM or anything like that.

fox and friends is probably his favorite show

Come on, they said the exact same thing when Duclair was doing well here, "it seems he found a home in Ottawa & his production proves how comfortable he is here". It's media hype, but it's nice he got another job. I doubt EM had anything to do with it, PD wanted Dadonov which turns out to be another bad move by him & for a lot more money.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Terrible trades, terrible drafts IMO.

All of his Penguins draft picks combined have played 3 NHL games. He has not acquired any player of significance in Pittsburgh since taking over. All he did was ruin the future of the team he inherited while getting 2 Cups with the team he inherited. His record in Pittsburgh is absolutely atrocious.

Lol!

After he was hired in Pittsburgh in June 2014, he went out and:

Traded James Neal for Patrick Hornqvist
Traded Brandon Sutter for Nick Bonino
Traded Robert Bortuzzo for Ian Cole
Traded for Kasperi Kapanen and a 1st (plus spare parts) for Phil Kessel

In two off-seasons, he acquired 4 players who were critical pieces that helped them win 2 straight Cups in 2016 and 2017.

Kessel scored 45 points in 49 games in those playoff runs.
Hornqvist scored 21 points. Bonino scored 25. Cole played over 18 minutes a night in the playoffs and was a +23.

Absolutely atrocious and no players of significance! He was brought in to win cups and that's exactly what he did.

Last edited:

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
Come on, they said the exact same thing when Duclair was doing well here, "it seems he found a home in Ottawa & his production proves how comfortable he is here". It's media hype, but it's nice he got another job. I doubt EM had anything to do with it, PD wanted Dadonov which turns out to be another bad move by him & for a lot more money.

Antony Duclair, February 2020:

"Yeah, I think so. I think since last year coming in, it was a good fit for me. I told my agent that I wanted to come back. I really thought that I can grow here as a player and a person and I think I made the right decision just to come back on a one-year deal. The way things have been going this year, I definitely want to be back under D.J. (Smith) and to be part of the core of this team."

I have no doubt that Melnyk is a terrible person with awful views on many social issues, but you're right, the exact same articles were coming out about Duclair loving Ottawa at this time last year.

Karl Eriksson

Boring!
Apr 12, 2007
Ottawa
Goalie tandems are all the rage. I’d be ok moving on from Hogberg if he can’t elevate this year and throwing $4M at someone who can start 35 games.

Dino Tkachuk

Ottawa Senators
Jan 6, 2009
I understand that. It just sucks to read. Again.
Why does it suck? ...because they may not share your views?

See DaveMatthew's post above. Duclair said the exact same thing when he was here in Ottawa and I think this is just him trying to find a home.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Just my opinion but I think you're searching for something that isn't there. At the end of the day the quotes are very similar but who really knows...

While this isn't the general discussion forum I'll just say that if you're disappointed in everyone that doesn't share your views you'll likely be disappointed a large portion of the time.
Lol. Oh trust me... I am dissapointed.

I mean very little presence at lgbtq events. Very little supper for social rights movements. I mean this has nothing to do with “my views”.

the team should do better in these areas.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
What the hell does it mean when he says "support his off ice activities". Very curious quote.

coladin

Sep 18, 2009
Antony Duclair, February 2020:

"Yeah, I think so. I think since last year coming in, it was a good fit for me. I told my agent that I wanted to come back. I really thought that I can grow here as a player and a person and I think I made the right decision just to come back on a one-year deal. The way things have been going this year, I definitely want to be back under D.J. (Smith) and to be part of the core of this team."

I have no doubt that Melnyk is a terrible person with awful views on many social issues, but you're right, the exact same articles were coming out about Duclair loving Ottawa at this time last year.

I agree, I think Ian should have waited a bit before writing this

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
Folks - The NHL and HDA are not aligned. This hopefully will change one day soon.

There is nothing in the media that states that the Ottawa Senators organization or Eugene Melnyk do not support HDA, BLM, or LGBTQ

This is not a venue for false statements or rumour. Any further discussion on this topic will result in infractions.

Please adhere to the forum rules:

4) Threadjacking/OT/Politics: Posts that waste space or time on the site, annoy users due to characteristics or repetition, disrupt the site functionality, or cause threads to veer off topic may be considered “threadjacking/OT”. This also applies to signatures, user titles, avatars, profile fields, and so forth. Stay on topic as much as possible. Post new threads in the appropriate forum only. Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

Last edited:
Reactions: coladin

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Folks - The NHL and HDA are not aligned. This hopefully will change one day soon.

There is nothing in the media that states that the Ottawa Senators organization or Eugene Melnyk do not support HDA, BLM, or LGBTQ

This is not a venue for false statements or rumour. Any further discussion on this topic will result in infractions.

Please adhere to the forum rules:

4) Threadjacking/OT/Politics: Posts that waste space or time on the site, annoy users due to characteristics or repetition, disrupt the site functionality, or cause threads to veer off topic may be considered “threadjacking/OT”. This also applies to signatures, user titles, avatars, profile fields, and so forth. Stay on topic as much as possible. Post new threads in the appropriate forum only. Political discussion is not permitted on the forums except within the narrowly defined scope of hockey-related matters.

8) Claims of Insider Information/ Rumors & Hearsay: If you're an insider, contact us with proof BEFORE you post. These posts will be allowed/rejected at the discretion of administrators after consulting with other posters, moderators, and relevant sources. Deference will be given to veteran members who have established credibility. It's not acceptable to post that you heard someone has a drinking/drug/sex/personal problem from a "good" source. Do not post information that can be considered defamatory without a link to a credible media source. Other forums, personal websites, amateur/unvetted blogs, hearsay, and personal testimonials are not considered credible.

just wanted to say this is a forum for rumours - says above it isn’t, but basically 95% of what goes on here is rumour talking and rumour writing so I can see how people get confused.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
just wanted to say this is a forum for rumours - says above it isn’t, but basically 95% of what goes on here is rumour talking and rumour writing so I can see how people get confused.

It’s not for rumours. If you want to make shit up about people, or spread false information, this is not the place. If you want to talk hockey, you are most welcome.

Thanks for understanding.

If you or anyone else has anything further to question about the forum rules, do not respond in this thread. Use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
It’s not for rumours. If you want to make shit up about people, or spread false information, this is not the place. If you want to talk hockey, you are most welcome.

Thanks for understanding.

If you or anyone else has anything further to question about the forum rules, do not respond in this thread. Use the Contact Us link at the bottom of the page.

I think the distinction to be made is with trade/signing rumours and the kind of rumours you might find in TMZ. The former is on topic and fine, the latter not so much even if there is a subtle tie in to the former

Reactions: AchtzehnBaby

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
This is just a question, but would Rutherford want to come to Ottawa knowing he would have deal with Melnyk? I would think people in the industry talk with each other and get info. Its just a question.
He won’t be coming here for that reason.

he’s a well respected guy. He doesn’t need to subject himself to melnyk and lower pay

Beech

Cicc' a porta
Nov 25, 2020
He won’t be coming here for that reason.

he’s a well respected guy. He doesn’t need to subject himself to Melnyk and lower pay
Unique situation. This has the potential to be Chicago 08/09-14/15. A group of kids who blossom.

Bowman and Quiennville are living high thanks to it. They are making insane dough and are guaranteed HOF status in the end. Neither was in the picture during the rebuild years.

Should changes be made, a quality GM may see this as his Chicago Blackhawks. Look back at Pittsburgh 06 outwards. Pretty much all the people who came in after Crosby, went on to at least one other job with serious coin. Granted, they all collapsed and are now out or in minor roles.

A high profile guy comes in, the team blossoms as hoped.. A cup, or two. Or at least an FYOUS. And he is laughing. This would be way better than a San Jose, NJ Devils and the other 5-6 jobs..Imagine Buffalo! Either pull a rabbit out of your behind or you will be gone.

Hale The Villain

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2008
Reactions: Sens of Anarchy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad