Status
Not open for further replies.

DaveMatthew

Bring in Peter
Apr 13, 2005
Ott
POHO anyone?

Would love to see it.

Even with the Melnyk circus, you have to think Rutherford would be interested in the job here. At 72, he likely wants to go somewhere where he'll have a shot to win in a couple of years.

With our young players, and prospects on the way, we give him that chance. Teams like Vancouver and Calgary, who also may be in the market for a new GM/President, aren't on the upswing.

And I mean... we could use his history in Pittsburgh to lure Malkin here after next season to be the final piece of the puzzle...

Last edited:
Reactions: Samsquanch

Crosside

Aug 1, 2018
Jim want to rebuild the Pens. He would be happy here and seem to have a good relationship with Pierre

Samsquanch

Raging Bull Squatch
Nov 28, 2008
Sudbury
Would love to see it.

Even with the Melnyk circus, you have to think Rutherford would be interested in the job here. At 72, he likely wants to go somewhere where he'll have a shot to win in a couple of years.

With our young players, and prospects on the way, we give him that chance. Teams like Vancouver and Calgary, who also may be in the market for a new GM/President, aren't on the upswing.

And I mean... we could use his history in Pittsburgh to lure Malkin here after next season to be the final piece of the puzzle...

Wasnt Rutherford linked to this team at some point before? like in the last 4 or 5 years?. Or am I mistaken?

Its such a crazy good fit...and the missing piece that this team needs to get over the hump and back into respectability

On being a POHO;

“I could possibly go into that role, help a franchise and try to improve the structure of it,” said Rutherford. “And also help the general manager. That’s something that I’ve talked about really for the last five years, that I thought it was something that would be a good role for me at some point in my career.

He goes on to say that hes open to east/west/Canada/US. And that he knows he can still add a lot to a team in need....................HELLO

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
Re asset management

Just looking through the trade history of mtl the last few years. Take a look. They consistently turn nothing into big somethings. While we have been turning big somethings into nothing.

Still, I like our future better than theirs. For what that’s worth. Interesting.

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Re asset management

Just looking through the trade history of mtl the last few years. Take a look. They consistently turn nothing into big somethings. While we have been turning big somethings into nothing.

Still, I like our future better than theirs. For what that’s worth. Interesting.

They are in a different stage ... following years of contending and winning.... that pendulum will change for us and for them again ... past - present - short term - long term

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
They are in a different stage ... following years of contending and winning.... that pendulum will change for us and for them again ... past - present - short term - long term
Right... but the trade returns. They get a TONNE more value back compared to PD trades.
That should be independent of the stage the team is at.

An In-Out chart comparison over the last 5 years between mtl and ott would look crazy. If I had some time.....

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Right... but the trade returns. They get a TONNE more value back compared to PD trades.
That should be independent of the stage the team is at

And that's leading to playoff success how exactly?

Sens of Anarchy

Jul 9, 2013
Right... but the trade returns. They get a TONNE more value back conpared to PD trades.

He'd be a great advisor .. a sounding board on trades and building towards a cup.. Dorion seems to always looks on the bright side, overly optimistic in his deals .. and never seems to look on the down side .. if things actually don't turn out where it leaves us. and what would be the next move. When you are trading for vets you want to mentor the kids and they can't cut the NHL and hurt your results, or trading futures to acquire a top 6 C or signing a one year deal with your best player walking him to UFA.. a little what if analysis would help and maybe we get someone more level to help analyze these things for him or with him.

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
That should be independent of the stage the team is at.

An In-Out chart comparison over the last 5 years between mtl and ott would look crazy. If I had some time.....
Apples to oranges in some scenarios. For instance Dorion would never have been allowed to take on a salary dump like Tatar in the Stone trade like Bergevin did with the Pacioretty trade. Make no mistake Tatar was a cap dump that turned into gold.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
Rutherford would help - not sure if he’s the right guy. Would like to see someone local like Chris Kelly or Luke Richardson be groomed for the role of POHO

Icelevel

Sep 9, 2009
Apples to oranges in some scenarios. For instance Dorion would never have been allowed to take on a salary dump like Tatar in the Stone trade like Bergevin did with the Pacioretty trade. Make no mistake Tatar was a cap dump that turned into gold.
That’s one trade. Wasn’t even focussed on that one.

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
You don’t blame excellent trading for lack of playoff success. Could be other things maybe???

The most success Montreal has had in the MB years is the first two seasons. When a GM inherits a lineup

There's nothing he's done that says pattern or strategy to me. He's not had success. He's been quite opportunistic in everything he's done

Personally I think it's great for us. They're in our division, have a big bank account but aren't really competitors

Upgrayedd

Earn'em and Burn'em
Oct 14, 2010
Ottawa
The team desperately needs management support and a bigger experienced name would be great, that said we know this team operates on a shoestring and seems to cheap out in some strange areas, personally I dont entertain this type of hope, at least until proven otherwise.

Silencio

Nov 6, 2006
Toronto

Knowing Melnyk's.... political viewpoints there's a lot to read between the lines in Duclair's comments. Seems like it wasn't just about money.

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
Rutherford would be great. Literally anyone with hockey experience would be great. Dorion needs at least one person to bounce ideas off of, our AGM isn't really even a hockey guy.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
An experienced POHO is needed!!!

Dorion and the Pro Scouting staff need help with building around the prospects

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->