Management GM Pierre Dorion/Front Office Thread - Part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

BatherSeason

Jun 16, 2009
Gatineau
Brent Wallace is looking for a job, he's good in front of the camera, he's well spoken, he's an Ottawa guy that has been around the team for years & knows inside of TV sports journalism. Also being on TSN for yrs people know him & would respect his opinion & his colleagues might just give him a lot more rope than they do some of these other team representatives.
Didn't Wallace get kicked off the Sens charter? Melnyk don't do second chances.

Reactions: Alf Silfversson

Beech

What A Wonderful Day
Nov 25, 2020
Come on guys, what do you want him to say: these are his moves. He has to defend them. He also has to spin, conceal, etc...It is part of the process. Spin, Spin, Spin...

Listen to Dorion for entertainment only.

How many GM would say..Yea, that was an idiot trade that I made...and yea, two days after he got here, he wanted out. And yes, I never spoke to him before the trade to see if it is okay with him...and yea, he is not playing well. and yea, he is moping and yea, in general, this was a bad move....REALLY!!!

Reactions: bert

BondraTime

Nov 20, 2005
East Coast
Dorion is our GM until his contract ends, it is what it is.

Hiring someone to oversee things and be able to dictate moves and messages would be a saving grace. Like Burke just signing with the Penguins, we need someone to keep management in shape and keep them from shooting themselves in the foot.

Right now, we have a pea shooter with 3 rounds and no safety, in a fight where everyone else has assault rifles and reconnaissance. Every now and then we’ll get a good shot off, but we’re always going to be behind the 8 ball and losing in the long run.

Liver King

Jan 23, 2016
I'd be happy with that, we were promised a President of Hockey Ops ages ago.

If you could find a good guy for that role that would really help out

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Please tell me he didn’t actually say that.
It’s paraphrasing. But I’ll be honest with you. It’s very close. I will write it from memory trying to be exact

he goes “(hesitating) I don’t want to say if we had a veteran team but the last few games we played well and could have had more wins if we had a more veteran team. The young guys made some mistakes”

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
It’s paraphrasing. But I’ll be honest with you. It’s very close. I will write it from memory trying to be exact

he goes “(hesitating) I don’t want to say if we had a veteran team but the last few games we played well and could have had more wins if we had a more veteran team. The young guys made some mistakes”
Please fire him now

FunkySeeFunkyDoo

Feb 3, 2009
Ottawa
I adopted a "never listen to a Dorian interview " philosophy a couple years ago and it's made a world of difference in my mental health. Seriously suggest you guys and gals all do the same.

Reactions: cudi

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
He 100% expected to be competitive with the washed up hacks he brought in during the offseason. It’s pathetic.

I can understand expecting the season to have gone more like it has recently than how it started.

It's perfectly reasonable for Dorion to have expected Matt Murray to cover up for the mistakes and keep games closer,

I also think the expectation was that Brannstrom was going to make the team out of camp (not his fault covid got in the way), and at least from his perspective, White too, so while he needs to show support for the coach and can't be questioning him in the open, i don't think our opening nigjt roster was what he envisioned.

This concludes my defending of Dorion, he's also made some moves i am not a fan of, Stepan was bizarre. He must have known that cap hit woas near impossible to move so why on earth would we pay a 2nd for him. Grabing Brown prior to looking at UFA options seems like a mis-step to me, i get we needed a contract for the expansion draft, but we should have explored UFA first imo. Also, are they prorating the eligibility requirement? If not, Brown needs to play 6 more games or he doesn't meet the 40 games in the year prior or 70 games in the 2 years prior rule.

Paquette and Coburn move i fully support even if i think neither should be a regular but they really made for a cramped roster.

Reactions: TheDebater

TheDebater

Peace be upon you
Mar 10, 2016
Ottawa
Ironically, we are a competitive team, just not with the players Dorion recently brought in to be competitive with, but rather with players he had already acquired/drafted prior.

We are lucky the team (starting with the coaching staff) seems to have figured things out only 10 games into the season as opposed to after 20-25 games because there is still a chance we can pull off a nice streak and avoid finishing dead last.

I know it looks bleak, but the way the divisions are set up this year, I would not be surprised to see a top team fall and a bottom team rise in the standings by the end of the season.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
What? when? where?

he said on TSN1200, after the coach said the kids were carrying the team. Stepan also was basically our least impactful player all game. Makes zero sense, and you’re supposed to be building not winning, I do t underta d what logic the team is working with.

The logic is something like “Win now with veterans so we protect the young kids by not exposing them to a bad team so when Ottawa becomes a good team and the veterans are all gone the kids will ready to take over, but don’t worry a team of all kids could finish last in the NHL so it’s good we have these veterans that contribute nothing so when we do finish last, AGAIN, career winners like Gudbranson, Watson and Stëpän will be there to tell them it’s going to be okay, because we vets will be gone soon, and you better, faster, more skilled young kids will take over and be better, but after our contracts expire and we tank out this season.”

Reactions: Sens of Anarchy

jhutter

Dec 23, 2016
I just caught a few clips of the interview. Man, this team needs a PoHo. Even if Pierre were an astute GM, he would need someone to communicate for him. Until he can put together a team that finishes above last or second last, I'm not overly interested in what he has to say.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
What? when? where?

From TSN.CA

Dorion understands that the club's future rests in the hands of the young skaters but stressed that a balanced lineup will be the key to future success for the rebuilding Senators.

“We don’t want to put a bunch of young players in the NHL not having earned [it] and then we lose for the next 10 years," said Dorion. "There has to be a really good balance between putting your young players in situations where they can succeed and at the same time having veterans and leaders around them that can help them through the good and the bad."

Last edited:
Reactions: swiftwin

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
Hope this whole anisimov thing is a wake up for GM and coach. The whole thing was at BEST a farce. And at worst it was a hilarious misevaluation of player talent.

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
The problem he's having is the same as he had last year. It's not his strategy, it's who he decides to bring in. His goal of insulating with Vets is the obvious route, he's just been incapable of bringing in any that can provide much on the ice, or at least not be a liability. His words are hollow when you're talking about vets that do nothing but actively hurt the team, all while talking as if young players need to be held accountable.

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
The problem he's having is the same as he had last year. It's not his strategy, it's who he decides to bring in. His goal of insulating with Vets is the obvious route, he's just been incapable of bringing in any that can provide much on the ice, or at least not be a liability. His words are hollow when you're talking about vets that do nothing but actively hurt the team, all while talking as if young players need to be held accountable.
Who are the dudes telling him these players are good before he trades for them

Adele Dazeem

Oct 20, 2015
On an island
Come on guys, what do you want him to say: these are his moves. He has to defend them. He also has to spin, conceal, etc...It is part of the process. Spin, Spin, Spin...

Listen to Dorion for entertainment only.

How many GM would say..Yea, that was an idiot trade that I made...and yea, two days after he got here, he wanted out. And yes, I never spoke to him before the trade to see if it is okay with him...and yea, he is not playing well. and yea, he is moping and yea, in general, this was a bad move....REALLY!!!

That would be so refreshing and make any fan truly have respect/trust for the GM.
I don't think anyone here is expecting Dorion, or any GM for the matter, to not make mistakes, it happens. I think it would be awesome to acknowledge it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad