NHL 20 GM Mode Logs & Conversation

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
June 8th 2019,

Eagles fly high..
5c2f9dc9b6c37.image.jpg

Hello Seattle, you're earlier than expected. It was a hot misty day, I had just gotten out of my cab from the airport. I'm new here, I don't have friends, I don't know anyone and my flight from Montreal was delayed so I flew in late. You're probably wondering who the hell am I ? and what's going on ? Well, my name is Martin Ward, I am the Quebec Amateur scout for the Seattle Eagles of the NHL. I was just hired after a 3 year stint as Head Scout for the Victoriville Tigres of the QMJHL. I won't be in Seattle for long, I'll hit the road after the NHL expansion and the NHL supplemental draft. But first, lets talk about how I got here.

So flashback to May when rumours came out that the NBA was planning a return to Seattle for the 2020-2021 season. Seattle has no major winter sports team and the NHL was going to fill that void, but at the same time that the NBA wanted to arrive. This posed a problem because the NHL was counting on being first to market.. So they accelerated their plans and decided to let Seattle in earlier.

How much earlier you might ask ? Just in time for the 2019-2020 season, and just like that the madness begun. It was immediately announced that the league was going to reduce Seattle's fee to 500 million USD and tinker with the expansion draft rules in order to not handicap the teams too much. Because the NHL wants to be in early the decided to discount the fee, but less compensation meant a lower quality player pool to choose from.

NHL teams were given the option to protect 5 skaters, 3 D and a goalie, or 8 skaters and no goalies while players with less than 2 years professional experience were exempt from the draft.

The new expansion draft rules stipulated that teams could protect 11 players on their roster that no player 23 and under with 149 games or less would have to be protected for the draft as they were to be exempt. My future boss, Ron Francis, was going to have a very limited player pool.

Things happen pretty fast and if you blink you might miss them, isn't that what Ferris Bueller once said ? I'm rambling. I was at a party when it happened, May 8th 2019. A headline leaked that Seattle was getting their NHL team early, I thought cool this is great. This was one of those day parties, it was a Saturday afternoon, and my phone rang. Now I'm always on my phone, and I see a weird area code and I wasn't going to answer but I said hey if you don't know the number you should find out who's calling.

And so I did.. Allo, I said. Bon-jour Mon-se-arrr Ward, he said it a broken english accent. This is Ron Francis of the Seattle Eagles, I've followed you progress with Victoriaville and I've been told that you're a real up and comer in hockey circles.

I paused, I didn't know what to think, maybe I just didn't think at all. Listen he said, I need a new Quebec scout and you know the league well and you've done a good job, would you be interested in this position ? I paused, uh uh yes. I'm very interested I said. He replied great, Carly from our legal department will be in touch with a contract offer, it's a standard 2 year deal, the pay is 75 000 USD and we offer a comprehensive insurance package, please direct any further questions to Carly or Darryl our head of human resources.. also I need you to fly out to Seattle in a little over a month. Please make all necessary arrangements. I said ok and I hung up, I dropped my phone and stood there screaming. My dream had come true, I was going to be working in the NHL... I made it.

The next month would prove to be crazy, a lot of calls and texts from people congratulating me and wishing me luck. I quit my job as a used car salesman, god I hated it. I spent time with friends and before you knew it, it was June 2nd and my life was going to be drastically different in a few days time.. I just didn't know it yet.

I booked my flight for June 7th, I was originally supposed to stay in Seattle until June 25th, a few days after the NHL supplemental draft. That changed to July 2nd after free agency because we were to have our first scout meetings with head scout Chris Pronger.
1l-image-145.jpg

Anyways, I got off the plane at about 6am on the 8th, after numerous delays and bagged problems I reached my hotel at 7;30 am. I had to be at our offices for 8:30 am.. and then the phone rang.. It was Ron, he said: Martin, please get here as fast as you can something has happened.. Ok i'll be there soon I said. I dropped my stuff off, called and uber and headed to our offices in downtown Seattle...

Attachments

• Seattle logos:colors.jpg
    Seattle logos:colors.jpg
    263.2 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:
Reactions: OB5

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
1200px-KeyArena_%282890740573%29.jpg

June 8th, 2019.

I walked into Key Arena for the first time, only to be denied access because Ron has forgotten to tell security I am team personnel. The place is a mess I have a hard time believing it will be ready in time for the start of the season but apparently they're accelerating construction... I go to call Ron but before I can grab my phone I hear someone yell my name: Martin ! Martin Ward ? Yes I reply, right this way the voice says. She introduces herself as Marge, she is in charge of orientation, she walks me into the temporary offices which look nothing like an office and maybe resemble a cubicle but it doesn't matter. I walk in and Ron walks up to me. He thanks me for coming and says: Martin, there's been a situation involving my special advisor Bill Peters, he's stolen a mercedes and been arrested. They're pressing charges, I've had to let him go.

That's terrible I say, is there anything I can do to help you ? Yes he replies. You were the Head Scout and AGM in Victoriaville these past few years, I have decided to move you into our hockeys department. You will our eyes in the pacific and you will be part of my advisement group. I know this is a big change and there is a generous raise involved, but we need you for this role and it's late to begin a search. Are you willing to accept this role ? Yes I reply, I don't mind making the commute. Ron says, yes some of the games are within driving distance from our offices. Be sure to speak to Marge who will set you up with Roberto, he is our team relator who will help you with housing. And Martin, welcome to Seattle.

I just agree to move to Seattle to become a pacific pro scout and advisor.. What just happened ? My head is spinning. I head into our meetings and spend the rest of my day there.

June 15th 2019,
It's been a crazy week. I haven't had time for anything, we submitted our list of players to the league that we wish to select in the expansion draft and are awaiting league approval. We're in the process of hiring coaches, we have the supplemental draft coming up and soon we'll have to submit our jersey concepts to adidas. I fly home at a point in July where I'll pack up my things and move out here. I still don't know where I'll live, I still don't even have friends here... Oh well, I'll miss home but the money, well there's a lot of it.

June 20th 2019,
We reveal our roster today at 12pm PT at a press conference where we will also be announcing trades that we have made and free agent signings.

Seattle Selections:
ANA D Christian Djoos 78ovr 24 years old
ARI C Carl Soderberg 81 ovr 33 years old
BOS C Sean Kurally 79 ovr 26 years old
BUF RW Wayne Simmonds 81 ovr 33 years old
CAL D Mark Stone 80 ovr 29 years old
CAR D Trevor Van Riemsdyk 80 ovr 27 years old
CHI G Malcom Subban 80 ovr 25 years old
COL LW Colin Wilson 80 ovr 29 years old
CBJ LW Boone Jenner 79 ovr 26 years old
DAL G Anton Khudobin 83 ovr 33 years old
DET LW Brendan Perlini 78 ovr 23 years old
EDM RW Tyler Ennis 79 ovr 29 years old
FLA D Mark Pysyk 79 ovr 27 years old
LAK RW Trevor Lewis 79 ovr 32 years old
MIN D Brad Hunt 80 ovr 30 years old
MTL G Charlie Lindgren 77 ovr 25 years old
NSH C Nick Bonino 81 ovr 31 years old
NJ C Brandon Street 76 ovr 25 years old
NYI C Leo Komarov 79 ovr 32 years old
NYR C Boo Nieves 76 ovr 25 years old
OTT RW Scott Sabourin 75 ovr 26 years old
PHI D Justin Braun 80 ovr 32 years old
PIT RW Patrik Hornqvist 83 ovr 32 years old
SJ RW Stefan Noesen 78 ovr 26 years old
STL LW Zach Sanford 77 ovr 24 years old
TB LW Patrick Maroon 80 ovr 31 years old
TOR D Cody Ceci 79 ovr 25 years old
VAN LW Antoine Roussel 79 ovr 29 years old
WSH D Radko Gudas 79 ovr 29 years old
WPG D Dimitriy Kulikov 79 ovr 28 years old

Last edited:
Reactions: ETTHAKING67

Matt UK

Mar 31, 2012
Wales, UK
Hi all, I haven't played GM mode in NHL 20 although have done in previous seasons. Do you have to follow the Head Coaches preferences? If I don't, will it impact negatively on my simmed results? It feels a bit limiting. I've just started as the Islanders and my coach doesn't like Barzal playing on the top-line. Not sure if he realises Tavares left! Ha

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Hi all, I haven't played GM mode in NHL 20 although have done in previous seasons. Do you have to follow the Head Coaches preferences? If I don't, will it impact negatively on my simmed results? It feels a bit limiting. I've just started as the Islanders and my coach doesn't like Barzal playing on the top-line. Not sure if he realises Tavares left! Ha

I don't necessarily follow their preferences to the line. I try to keep my best players on the top lines regardless, unless someone bumps the the + overall by quite a bit, without too much noticeable difference in the base overalls (ie, a 84 on the first line ahead of an 85 overall).

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
2023/2024 Season

As I have no better ideas, let's check in on our previously noted guys again.

Coming off of a mediocre year, but also off of a newly signed 9.305m x 5 contract, C. Domingue stays at 92 overall. The team around him has gotten a little better though. Hopefully he can finally break past a PPG.
A. Räty is finally an NHL player at 84 overall and is on Ottawa's 2nd line. He had an even worse year in the AHL last year scoring 16g, 34a for only 50 points, 11 points fewer than the year prior.

Y. Pushkarev is at 89 overall, +4 from where he was at the start of last season. Coming off of a year where he scored 52 goals, yet still fell short of the Calder, I look forward to seeing what the 5'8 goal scoring machine can do.

A. Lafrenière is at 90 overall on a 9.425m x 7 contract currently. He's coming off of a disappointingly average 32g, 40a, 72p season.

At this point, both A. Matthews (93 overall) and E. Pettersson (91 overall) are both franchise players now. No franchise goalies as of yet.

CAR acquire: B. Tanev (81)
BCM acquire: CAR 2025 1st

EDM acquire: D. Shore (81) & S. Gersich (79)
WSH acquire: F. Nordqvist (60, Starter) & EDM 2025 2nd

EDM acquire: A. Martinez (81) & NYI 2025 3rd
NYI acquire: R. Lavoie (75, Top 6 F) & EDM 2025 7th

STL acquire: I. Mikheyev (82)
BUF acquire: T. Hamonic (82), C. Ehn (78), C. Anderson (80, goalie)

BUF acquire: A. Gaudette (81), I. Kovalchuk (81), D. Timashov (79)
VAN acquire: T. Hamonic (82) & BUF 2025 1st

FLA acquire: L. Eller (84)
WSH acquire: M. Genze (66, Top 4 D), L. McFarland (60, Top 9 F), FLA 2024 2nd, FLA 2025 2nd

BUF acquire: I. Mikheyev (82) & A. Copp (79)
STL acquire: H. Jokiharju (81, Top 4 D)

CGY acquire: B. Saad (83) & C. Tanev (83)
CBJ acquire: D. Chayka (73, Top 4 D), M. Jakovljevic (67), CGY 2024 1st

TOR acquire: P. Danault (84) & C. Carrick (79)
PHI acquire: S. Der-Arguchintsev (76, Top 6 F), N. Kulikov (68, Top 4 D), TOR 2025 2nd

CBJ acquire: M. Barzal (89, Elite)
NYI acquire: Z. Werenski (89, Elite), P. Francouz (81, goalie), J. Tammela (78, Top 9 F), CBJ 2025 7th

What a wild trade deadline.
Buffalo trades Mikheyev to acquire Hamonic, who they then flip alongside a 1st to Vancouver for Gaudette and Kovalchuk, then re-acquire Mikheyev shortly after back from St. Louis.

Then never mind the absolute blockbuster that were two upcoming UFAs in Barzal for Werenski.

Post deadline team:
OFF: 86
DEF: 86
GOA: 83
With only one trade made, my team wasn't too drastically changed.

RecordHomeAwayGFPGGAPGPP%PK%
34-39-919-18-415-21-53.273.6818.4%78.5%

A bit of regression from the previous year, but overall not too bad. Better record at home and another marginal increase in GF this season.

The top team in the league this year was a surprising Pittsburgh Penguins team despite some veterans regressing, with 111 points. Next were TBL and COL both with 104 points.
At the bottom of the league were the New York Islanders with a pathetic 57 points. Trading their 1C may not have been wise.
Following them were MIN with 72 points, and NJD with 75 points. BCM was 4th last with 77 points.

Player Stats
Leading in goals this year was S. Crosby, who had 62 goals. J. Eichel follows with 60 goals and finally, A. Ovechkin still clinging close by with 58 goals.

Destroying the league, S. Crosby had 131 points to lead the league. Teammate J. Guentzel was 2nd with a pitiful 113 points in comparison, and A. Ovechkin rounds out the top 3 with 111 points.

BCM Stats
Breaking his previous franchise record, A. Hale tops the team in goals scoring 51 goals this season. A. Holtz and A. Stranges are next with 35 goals and 25 goals respectively.

A. Hale also tops the team in points with 86 points, breaking the previous franchise record of 73.
Newcomer Y. Nikitin is 2nd with 82 points. And A. Holtz is 3rd with 68 points.

DAL vs CHI (DAL wins 4-2)
COL vs SJS (COL wins 4-1)
LAK vs EDM (EDM wins 4-1)
ANA vs CGY (CGY wins 4-3)

NYR vs WSH (NYR wins 4-2)
PIT vs CAR (CAR wins 4-0)
FLA vs OTT (FLA wins 4-0)
TBL vs TOR (TBL wins 4-2)
-----
COL vs DAL (DAL wins 4-2)
EDM vs CGY (EDM wins 4-1)

NYR vs CAR (CAR wins 4-1)
TBL vs FLA (TBL wins 4-2)
-----
EDM vs DAL (EDM wins 4-1)

TBL vs CAR (CAR wins 4-0)
-----
EDM vs CAR (CAR wins 4-2)

Carolina absolutely cruised to the finals and set up a rematch of the 2006 playoffs, against Edmonton. Carolina once again walks away victorious winning in 6 this time.
S. Aho nets himself the Conn Smythe with 23 points in 19 games.
L. Draisaitl with 33 points in 21 games is snubbed as the losing team.

For the 2nd straight year a BC Monarch walks away with the Calder, as A. Stranges had a respectable 53 points, in a less spectacular year with rookies.
The only rookie close to Stranges was MTL's S. Lombardi (2023 3rd overall pick) who had 46 points, with both getting 25 goals (most by a rookie).

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
2024 Offseason

Another year, another draft lottery, and we have another wild one.
Buffalo jumps up from #6 to take #1
Montreal jumps up from #12 to take #2
Minnesota drops from #2 to take #3
Which leaves NYI to go from #1 to #4, NJD to go from #3 to #5, and BCM to go from #4 to #6.

Retirements
PlayerOverallAgeTeamGames PlayedGoalsAssistsPoints
I. Kovalchuk7941BUF12905465981144
Z. Parise6839MIN1274469494963
J. Pavelski7339VGK1291432524956
B. Wheeler7637SJS1188331601932
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Plenty of players retired this year. I just noted the 900+ point players. Others of note: T.J. Oshie, A. Radulov, J. Van Riemsdyk, K. Yandle, M. Zuccarello, M. Vlasic.
I. Kovalchuk is the best skayer to retire at 79 overall.
Of note, Vlasic still has 2 more years at 7M left that he's leaving on the table. How fortuitous for SJS.

PlayerOverallAgeTeamGames PlayedWinsLossesShutouts
H. Lundqvist8042BOS108654640269
M. Fleury7039FA100052932962
P. Rinne7841CGY80943225360
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Lundqvist surprisingly still an average back up at 42 years old. Didn't know Fleury was a free agent, but it is aesthetically pleasing he retires at 1k games played.
Lundqvist also retires with 33 points, tying him for 8th most all time for a goalie!

#1: BCM - P. Witt | C | 80 | Franchise
#2: MTL - T. Thornton | LW | 79 | Elite
#3: MIN - A. Sadikov | RW | 70 | Top 6 F
#4: NYI - M. Kovalev | RW | 79 | Elite
#5: NJD - M. Barriball | LW | 80 | Elite

BUF acquire: L. Johansen (83, Top 4 D) & G. Murray (78, Elite)
BCM acquire: BUF 2024 1st (1st)

BUF acquire: BCM 2024 3rd (68th) & BUF 2024 3rd (72nd)
BCM acquire: BUF 2024 2nd (40th)

Round##PlayerPositionOverallPotential
16O. ManlowC79Elite
127B. TyrellRW74Top 6 F
236M. Skrbek*D62Top 4 D
240R. Clackson*D62Top 4 D
499A. WellerRW62Top 6 F
4100O. Erixon*D62Top 4 D
4104R. PirnesC62Top 6 F
5132S. HinoteLW59Top 6 F
5149T. HamonicC58Top 6 F
6164K. AlavaaraLW59Top 9 F
7196J. BrimanisG47Backup
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
* = Scout deemed GEM

Decided to try to ask what Buffalo may want for the 1st overall pick just for fun and much to my surprise they actually gave me multiple offers.
G. Murray was my 4th overall pick in 2021 and has done such little growing in my organization, it seemed like a no brainer to get rid of him for the pick. Other than Murray, it was then either Paetsch (who had an excellent final year in juniors) or Johansen. As much as I didn't want to get rid of my top 3 Dman, for a franchise player, I gave in. He's close to done growing naturally anyways.
Buffalo talked as if they swindled me, so I felt it fair I swiped a franchise potential player from them. Maybe they didn't have P. Witt scouted or something.

(Re)Signed
A. Nedeljkovic | G | 81 | 1.4m x 1
Several ELCs

Qualified
J. Comrie | G | 84
N. Dadonov | LW | 66

Released
V. Vehviläinen | G | 75
G. Coburn | G | 60
A. Angello | C | 78
C. Fitzgerald | D | 78
N. Aube-Kubel | RW | 79
J. Hayes | RW | 78

Notable Free Agents
A. Matthews | C | 95

P. Kane | RW | 91
S. Aho | C | 90
M. Barzal | C | 89
Z. Werenski | D | 88
H. Borgstrom | C | 87
J. Voracek | RW | 87
D. Perron | LW | 87
F. Anderson | G | 87

My team status is officially "Hopeful" for the playoffs this year, so I'll allow myself not a scraping the bottom of the barrel signing or two this year. No players on that list will be offered a contract though.

BCM Signs
N. Dadonov | LW | 66 | 990k x 1 (Took QO)
J. Comrie | G | 84 | 5.410m x 2 (Matched offer sheet from BOS)
J. Gauthier | RW | 80 | 1.9m x 3
D. Caggiula | LW | 81 | 1.6m x 3
B. Guhle | D | 81 | 3m x 2

Last dose of CHEESE?
E. Johnson | D | 80 | 19m x 1
A. Iafallo | C | 79 | 19m x 1

Notable Signings
NYI | A. Matthews | C | 95 | 12.565m x 6

OTT | P. Kane | RW | 91 | 9.420m x 1
BOS | S. Aho | C | 90 | 10.580m x 7
PHI | M. Barzal | C | 89 | 10.365m x 1
CHI | Z. Werenski | D | 88 | 7.345m x 1
PIT | H. Borgstrom | C | 87 | 8.785m x 3
NSH | J. Voracek | RW | 87 | 6.540m x 1
CAR | D. Perron | LW | 87 | 9.2m x 2
NYI | F. Anderson | G | 87 | 6.890m x 1

WPG acquire: M. Duchene (85) & NSH 2025 4th
NSH acquire: R. Rourke (77, Top 4 D), M. Semyonov (66, Starter), WPG 2025 1st

ANA acquire: R. Fabbri (87) & STL 2026 3rd
STL acquire: T. Stutzle (78, Elite) & T. Graham (61, Top 9 F)

COL acquire: I. Cole (82) & T. Van Riemsdyk (80)
DET acquire: B. Kennedy (64) & COL 2026 1st

I remember Fabbri going back to St. Louis, but man, I didn't realize he grew to an 87 overall.
The big blockbuster last trade deadline was for nothing as both players went elsewhere, though the NYI added the best player in free agency this year fairly long term, so they probably don't hurt from it as much as CBJ.

A. Hale (89)Y. Nikitin (89)A. Holtz (87)
A. Stranges (86)C. Reaves (87)J. Weekes (86)
S. Caggiula (81)P. Witt (80)J. Gauthier (81)
A. Iafallo (79)T. Rochette (80)T. Dellandrea (78)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
V. Koltsov (85)M. Rodgers (89)
B. Guhle (81)B. Clarke (81)
L. Nassan (80)W. Johnson (80)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
J. Comrie (85)
A. Nedeljkovic (81)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

OFF: 92
DEF: 87
GOA: 83

The team is officially a contender, so says my team status.
Also Koltsov regressed from an 86 to an 85 for seemingly no reason. Neat!

Two jumps in potential:
J. Weekes went from Elite potential to Elite.
Y. Nikitin went from Elite potential to Elite.

At 20 years of age, A. Hale has been named captain of the BC Monarchs, because he's one cool dude.

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
I have a question regarding players development progress.

Does it happen with you with some players that if you play them on the 4th line or 3rd pairing they start to drastically decrease?

I had a defender who was playing on the 2nd pairing for a couple of years he was 23-24 yrs old, he got to 82 OVR, but then I signed a UFA defender and dropped the young one do 43rd pairing. By the end of the season he dropped from 82 to 77 OVR at 26 yrs old. Did this happen with you?

OB5

May 2, 2015
I have a question regarding players development progress.

Does it happen with you with some players that if you play them on the 4th line or 3rd pairing they start to drastically decrease?

I had a defender who was playing on the 2nd pairing for a couple of years he was 23-24 yrs old, he got to 82 OVR, but then I signed a UFA defender and dropped the young one do 43rd pairing. By the end of the season he dropped from 82 to 77 OVR at 26 yrs old. Did this happen with you?
Constantly. And when you scratch players as your 7th D or 13th/14th Fs they lose OA as well. Just a side effect of the morale algorithm I guess. If you turn morale off then you won't have that issue I think.

Reactions: Luigi Habs

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Just started a mine with the Montreal Canadiens.
I created Caufield and Romanov and i'll be as realistic as possible. I'll keep you guys up to date but for now I'm 500. starting the month of December.
Lines -
Drouin - Suzuki - Domi
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Weal - Hudon
Weise

Mete - Weber
Chariot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury
Oulette

I'm planning on promoting Evans and Poehling for next year (for Hudon and Weise, Weal would become the 13th F). On Defense, I'll have to find spot for Juulsen and Romanov (Kulak becoming 7th and Oulette go back to the AHL). Any suggestion ? I don't know if i'll move Tatar and Petry during the summer yet but i'd like to give as much time as I can to my young players and try to find a solid D to play in my top four.

** I should also add that for the 1st year i'm not making any move to be as realistic as possible, so I've signed Cam Hillis to a contract, signed Ylonen,etc. I will also try to be realistic with Laval since they often signed vets that are from the province (Veilleux,Oulette,Belzil,etc).

Last edited:

Readytostart

Feb 19, 2016
Just started a mine with the Montreal Canadiens.
I created Caufield and Romanov and i'll be as realistic as possible. I'll keep you guys up to date but for now I'm 500. starting the month of December.
Lines -
Drouin - Suzuki - Domi
Tatar - Danault - Gallagher
Lekhonen - Kotkaniemi - Armia
Byron - Weal - Hudon
Weise

Mete - Weber
Chariot - Petry
Kulak - Fleury
Oulette

I'm planning on promoting Evans and Poehling for next year (for Hudon and Weise, Weal would become the 13th F). On Defense, I'll have to find spot for Juulsen and Romanov (Kulak becoming 7th and Oulette go back to the AHL). Any suggestion ? I don't know if i'll move Tatar and Petry during the summer yet but i'd like to give as much time as I can to my young players and try to find a solid D to play in my top four.

** I should also add that for the 1st year i'm not making any move to be as realistic as possible, so I've signed Cam Hillis to a contract, signed Ylonen,etc. I will also try to be realistic with Laval since they often signed vets that are from the province
(Veilleux,Oulette,Belzil,etc).
Did you have to create Primeau or was he in the game?

ETTHAKING67

Feb 12, 2019
Starting my 2nd season with the Habs, the first season I was simulating a lot so I could catch up and from now on i'll play 50/50.

Important move from the season would be :
- Drafting C.Perfetti in the 1st round.
- I signed one NHL player in Craig Smith for 2 years at 2.750.00. and the rest was for Laval.
- My biggest move other than C.Perfetti is signing Domi for 7 Millions for the next 6 years. I don't know where he will play in 3 or 4 years but I will have the option between keeping him or Gallagher.

My line-up for the start of the season
Drouin(86) - Kotkaniemi(87)-Domi(85)
Tatar(85) - Suzuki(80) - Gallagher(85)
Byron(79) - Danault (83) - Smith (81)
Lekhonen (80) - Poehling (78) - Armia (75)
Weal

Mete(82) - Weber(90)
Chiarot(80) - Petry (85)
Romanov(77) - Fleury (78)
Juulsen(78)

Price (91)
Lindgren(78)

Plans -
I'm going for the playoff from now on but I'll trust the process (Be patient with my young players but no more tanking). Caufield will be in the NHL by next year and for next year or the year after I'm planning on having Perfetti as my 2nd C and Suzuki on the wings with a top 6 of KK,Drouin,ColeX2 and Suzuki. One of Domi or Gallagher will probably be moved for a D. Tatar & Petry will be UFA at the end of the year and the plan is to keep Petry, if I can, and let Tatar walk, unless i'm out of the playoff race by the deadline. For the rest i'm trusting my young player to develop in Laval, hopefully J.Evans can make the jump during the year. For my AHL I've kept it realistic, signing C.Hillis (and Mcshane,less realistic) and letting the other prospect walk, like M.Bergevin suggested he would do.
My AHL lineup is interesting with potentiel futur NHLer like Ylonen,Ikonen,Evans,Brooks and Primeau.

Last edited:

MarkusKetterer

Shoulda got one game in
I started a new franchise seeing I got an Xbox1 and bought NHL20 (for $20!). I’m the Sabres GM so I decided to just scorch earth my team while still being above the cap floor. I already simmed the first season, so I’ll just post the highlights here (that I remember):

- Reinhart to VGK for Tuch & 1st
- Cozens & 2nd to CHI for Dach
- rejected Skinner & Simmonds to COL for 2021 2nd & 3rd
- Simmonds to Car for 2020 2nd
- Okposo to WPG for Lowry (why did you offer this Winnipeg?!)
- so many Dman injuries!!
- Frolik fired off into the sun
- Mittelstadt & Thompson banished to Rochester for the year
- somehow, a President’s Trophy and getting bounced in the 1st round in 5 games. It sucked but wasn’t even expecting the playoffs so I’ll take it.

Eichel won the Rocket, Vesey won the Selke :)huh: and re-signed for $1.5m for 5 years [:huh::huh:]) and my AHL team got bounced in 4 games.

Next time I get to playing it I’ll post what I can remember of the draft and free agency. I’ll also make notes of notable prospects in my system. Shit got crazy :laugh:

Panthaz89

Buffalo Sabres, Carolina Panthers fan
Dec 24, 2016
Buffalo,NY
I need to learn how to get my AHL team going my NHL team has won the cup 4 times and made the finals 7 times up to 2035 for my expansion team but my AHL team made the playoffs once and got whooped in round 1. Its kind of easy to win when you got a franchise D-man very early in the years and he's still a 96 in his early 30s. Also my coaches are so good they could probably coach scrubs to the playoffs my head coach is A+ in everything but Influence which is an A from winning so much.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
So I’m thinking of going back in time here, I might do a Dynasty mode in either of NHL 2k10, 2006, 2004 or 2008. Would anyone care if I posted it in here ?

also if you guys have a team that you felt maybe should of won I’m taking suggestions.

2004 Colorado Avalanche for example
2006 Ottawa Senators
2006 Calgary Flames
2010 Detroit Red Wings

I think you guys get the point, any suggestions lmk.

Reactions: ETTHAKING67

Readytostart

Feb 19, 2016
So I’m thinking of going back in time here, I might do a Dynasty mode in either of NHL 2k10, 2006, 2004 or 2008. Would anyone care if I posted it in here ?

also if you guys have a team that you felt maybe should of won I’m taking suggestions.

2004 Colorado Avalanche for example
2006 Ottawa Senators
2006 Calgary Flames
2010 Detroit Red Wings

I think you guys get the point, any suggestions lmk.
This would be amazing. Post vids. 2k was so much better than EA. Do one or all of the poor Canadian teams that lost in the Finals: Sens, Flames or Oilers without the Roloson injury....

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown
:rangers

Gorton Steps Down; Drury Becomes Rangers GM

rangers-gorton-drury.jpg

BREAKING: September 14, 2019 (New York) --- Jeff Gorton, General Manager of the New York Rangers since 2015, announced today that he would be stepping down for personal reasons. Rangers President John Davidson was also at the press conference and announced that Chris Drury, Assistant General Manager of the New York Rangers since 2016, would take over as General Manager starting immediately.

The news comes as a shock to many around the league. The Rangers just had arguably one of the best offseasons of any team in the league, with Gorton bringing in Artemi Panarin through free agency, Adam Fox and Jacob Trouba through trades, and Kaapo Kakko through the draft.

Drury now has just 2 days before the Rangers' first preseason game against the Flyers.

"I'm obviously quite familiar with the organization so there won't be much of an adjustment period in terms of getting to know the roster, but I'm going to take the next 24 to 48 hours to just review what we've got and see where we want to go from there. I might make a few changes, but I think Jeff has done a great job building this team."

Davidson also announced that former Ranger goaltender and current MSG studio analyst Steve Valiquette would take over Drury's now-former role as GM of the Hartford Wolf Pack and New York Rangers Assistant General Manager. Valiquette and Drury shared MSG's locker room as members of the Rangers during parts of the 2007-08, 2008-09, and 2009-10 seasons.

The Rangers also announced a complete overhaul of the organization's coaching staff. Drury thanked the now-former coaching staff for their time with the team and chalked the changes up to nothing more than personal preference on Drury's part.

The new coaching staff:
PositionCoach
NHL Head CoachJonah Cornet
NHL Associate CoachSerge Renaud
NHL Assistant CoachBilly Corson
NHL Goalie CoachNoel Knight
AHL Head CoachDaniel Rivet
AHL Associate CoachDominik Jagr
AHL Assistant CoachEsa Marjamaki
AHL Goalie CoachPekka Granlund
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:

NYRangers3061

Lets Go Rangers!!!
Jan 9, 2015
Rangerstown

New York Rangers GM Mode
Previous Updates:

Intro: NHL 20 - GM Mode Logs & Conversation

September 2019 Recap
News:

September 15, 2019: Chris Drury made his first trade as GM of the New York Rangers today, sending veteran winger Matt Beleskey to the Boston Bruins in exchange for a 2020 7th round pick. Beleskey played just 4 games for the Rangers last season, spending most of his time in the AHL, and was expected to do the same this season. The trade sheds the Rangers of Beleskey's $1.9 million cap hit for the remainder of the season. Beleskey was originally traded to the Rangers near the 2018 trade deadline along with Ryan Lindgren, a 1st round pick, and a 7th round pick for Rick Nash.

September 15, 2019: Long-time New York Rangers defenseman Marc Staal is headed to LA. The Rangers traded the blueliner, who had been with the Rangers since 2007, to the Los Angeles King for a 2020 7th round pick. The Rangers retained 50% on Staal's contract, which has 2 years remaining. The move saves the Rangers $2.85 million in each of the next 2 years.

Games:

September 16, 2019 (Vs. Philadelphia)*
Final Score: 5-4 Philadelphia
NYR Goalie(s): Georgiev - .844 SV%, 5.09 GAA
PHI Goalie (s): Elliott - .867 SV%, 4.00 GAA
*PRESEASON
TeamPeriodTimeGoalAssist(s)Score
PHI100:11Niskanen (1)Giroux, Provorov1-0 PHI
PHI105:01 Patrick (1)Van Riemsdyk, Giroux 2-0 PHI
PHI1 10:25 Rubtsov (1) Sanheim 3-0 PHI
NYR1 12:47 Lemieux (1) Andersson, Howden 3-1 PHI
NYR1 17:44 Andersson (1) Nieves, Miller 3-2 PHI
PHI3 04:28 Provorov (1)Andreoff, Aube-Kubel 4-2 PHI
PHI3 04:33 Patrick (2) Niskanen, Giroux 5-2 PHI
NYR3 09:12 Lemieux (2) Howden, DeAngelo 5-3 PHI
NYR 3 18:02 Kakko (1) DeAngelo, Chytil 5-4 PHI
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
September 18, 2019 (Vs. Pittsburgh)*
Final Score: 2-1 NY Rangers (SO)
NYR Goalie(s): Shesterkin - .975 SV%, 0.92 GAA
PIT Goalie(s): Jarry - .952 SV%, 0.92 GAA
*PRESEASON
PIT217:08Blueger (1)Bjugstad, Blandisi1-0 PIT
NYR3 05:22Lemieux (3) Howden1-1 Tie
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
September 20, 2019 (@ NY Islanders)*
Final Score: 4-2 NY Islanders
NYR Goalie(s): Shesterkin - .906 SV%, 3.07 GAA
NYI Goalie(s): Soderstrom - .935 SV%, 2.00 GAA
*PRESEASON
NYR213:36Lemieux (4)Lettieri, Nieves1-0 NYR
NYR216:29 Lemieux (5) Lettieri, Nieves 2-0 NYR
NYI2 17:44 Lorito (1) Bardreau, Mayfield 2-1 NYR
NYI3 01:15 Koivula (1) St. Denis, Hickey 2-2 Tie
NYI3 13:50 St. Denis (1) Dobson, Aho 3-2 NYI
NYI3 19:39 Barzal (1) Cizikas, Dobson 4-2 NYI
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
September 21, 2019 (@ Columbus)*
Final Score: 5-4 Columbus (SO)
NYR Goalie(s): Georgiev - .889 SV%, 3.69 GAA
CBJ Goalie(s): Vehvilainen - .875 SV%, 3.69 GAA
*PRESEASON
NYR114:04Kakko (2)Chytil, Fast1-0 NYR
CBJ1 17:49 Kukan (1) Wennberg 1-1 Tie
CBJ1 18:28 Texier (1) Jones 2-1 CBJ
NYR2 06:41 Chytil (1) Kakko, DeAngelo 2-2 Tie
NYR3 02:57 Lettieri (1) Lindgren, Di Giuseppe 3-2 NYR
CBJ3 06:52 Bjorkstrand (2) Wennberg, Murray 3-3 Tie
CBJ3 10:14 Dubois (1) Gavrikov, Atkinson 4-3 CBJ
NYR3 19:07 Fast (1) Di Giuseppe 4-4 Tie
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
September 24, 2019 (@ Washington)*
Final Score: 5-3 Washington
NYR Goalie(s): Shesterkin - .848 SV%, 5.11 GAA
WSH Goalie(s): Holtby - .921 SV%, 3.00 GAA
*PRESEASON
WSH103:32Gersich (1)Orlov1-0 WSH
WSH1 05:30Oshie (1) Backstrom, Jensen 2-0 WSH
NYR1 06:44 Fast (2) Di Giuseppe, Chytil 2-1 WSH
WSH1 15:35 Kempny (1) Ovechkin, Boyd 3-1 WSH
NYR2 00:30 Chytil (2) Kravtsov, Kakko 3-2 WSH
WSH2 19:26 Backstrom (1) Oshie, Gudas 4-2 WSH
NYR3 06:43 Andersspn (2) Howden, Lemieux 4-3 WSH
WSH3 10:58 Backstrom (2) Orlov, Carlson5-3 WSH
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
September 26, 2019 (@ New Jersey)*
Final Score: 4-2 New Jersey
NYR Goalie(s): Georgiev - .852 SV%, 4.08 GAA
NJD Goalie(s): Schneider - .913 SV%, 2.00 GAA
*PRESEASON
NJD108:45Coleman (3)Wood, Vatanen1-0 NJD
NJD1 16:02 Hayden (1) Boqvist, Vatanen2-0 NJD
NJD2 02:12 Hischier (3) Butcher, Severson 3-0 NJD
NJD2 16:49 Zajac (1) Coleman, Severson 4-0 NJD
NYR 2 18:15 Fast (3) Di Giuseppe, Robertson 4-1 NJD
NYR3 05:38 Kakko (3) DeAngelo 4-2 NJD
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
September 27, 2019 (Vs. Carolina)*
Final Score: 4-2 Carolina
NYR Goalie(s): Lundqvist - .882 SV%, 4.07 GAA
CAR Goalie(s): Mrazek - .926 SV%, 2.00 GAA
*PRESEASON
NYR101:58Chytil (3)Fast, Fox1-0 NYR
CAR1 16:25 Hamilton (1) Svechnikov, Haula 1-1 Tie
CAR1 17:23 Aho (3) Niederreiter 2-1 CAR
NYR3 02:24 Zibanejad (1) Buchnevich, Howden 2-2 Tie
CAR3 04:49 Van Riemsdyk (1) Haula, Gibbons 3-2 CAR
CAR3 17:33 McGinn (2) Teravainen, Slavin 4-2 CAR
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Trades:
9/15/19
acquire:​
:bruins
2020 7th round pick (BOS)LW Matt Beleskey (31 YO/76 OVR/Exact AHL Top 6 F)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
9/15/19
:kings
2020 7th round pick (LAK)D Marc Staal (50% retained)(32 YO/78 OVR/Exact Top 6 D)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
9/18/19
:nashville
2020 3rd round pick (NSH)C Daniel O'Regan (25 YO/71 OVR/High Top 9 F)
RW Ville Meskanen (23 YO/65 OVR/Med. Top 9 F)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
9/21/19
:isles
2020 7th round pick (NYI)D Nick Ebert (25 YO/64 OVR/Med. AHL Top 4 D)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Other:

Signings:
DatePlayerTypePositionAgeOverallPotentialContract
9/18/19Anthony LouisFAC2471High Top 9 F1Y/$925K AAV
9/18/19Justin Williams FA RW 37 82 Exact Top 6 F 1Y/$2.25M AAV
9/18/19Troy Brouwer FA RW 34 78 Exact Top 9 F 1Y/$925K AAV
9/18/19Stefan Noesen FA RW 26 78 Med. Top 9 F 1Y/$925K AAV
9/19/19Olof Lindbom ELC G 19 56 Med. Starter 3Y/$925K AAV
9/19/19Nico Gross ELC D 19 63 Med. Top 6 D 3Y/$825K AAV
9/19/19Karl Henriksson ELC C 18 62 Med. Top 9 F 3Y/$900K AAV
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Day-by-Day:

September 15, 2019: The New York Rangers made two moves today, both shedding cap space, as new GM Chris Drury re-evaluates the roster. The Rangers do have a couple holes on the wing that Drury would probably like to fill by signing a free agent or two, and these moves open up a bit of cap flexibility.

September 18, 2019: The Rangers signed several free agents today, the team's general manager Chris Drury announced. Among them were veterans Justin Williams and Troy Brouwer, two Stanley Cup champions. The other two signings were younger players Stefan Noesen and Anthony Louis. "We brought in two vets who'll help us tremendously with our wing depth this season, and we think Stefan and Anthony have very solid potential to possibly make an impact at the NHL level a few years down the line," said GM Drury. The team also dealt two prospects to the Nashville Predators for a 2020 3rd round pick.

September 19, 2019: The New York Rangers signed 3 of their prospects to entry level contracts today.

September 21, 2019: The two New York teams made a rare trade today, with the Rangers sending AHL defenseman Nick Ebert to the Islanders for a 7th round pick. "This clears a contract spot for us, and it always helps to build relationships, and so sometimes it's good to start off with a smaller trade, especially with a rival trade, and build that rapport slowly but surely," said Rangers GM Chris Drury.

September 24, 2019: The Rangers made a few cuts from their preseason roster following today's loss against the Capitals. With only 2 preseason games left, the Rangers called up wingers Troy Brouwer, Justin Williams, and Stefan Noesen, and sent down wingers Ty Ronning, Vitali Kravtsov, and Micheal Haley, who were all long-shots to make the team out of training camp to begin with, and failed to impress during preseason.

September 27, 2019: Prior to tonight's game with the Carolina Hurricanes, the New York Rangers made several roster moves that will likely cement the 2019/20 New York Rangers opening day lineup. Notable moves include Georgiev being sent down to the AHL, likely signalling that he lost the battle for Lundqvist's backup to Shesterkin, and may have played his last game in a Rangers uniform, as a trade is possible. Greg McKegg, Phillip Di Giuseppe, and Brendan Smith all made the roster but are healthy scratches for tonight's game.

Around The League:

A few of the remaining significant NHLers were picked up off the free agent market this month, with Thomas Vanek heading to Colorado, Luca Sbisa, Jason Pominville, and Dion Phaneuf signing with Columbus, and Jamie McGinn and Adam McQuaid striking deals with Detroit.

Trade Rumors:

Some interesting names on the trade block include Ryan Kesler (ANA), Michael Grabner (ARZ), Jaroslav Halak (BOS), Marco Scandella (BUF), James Reimer (CAR), Corey Crawford (CHI), Brandon Dubinsky (CBJ), Anton Khudobin (DAL), Alec Martinez (LAK), Karl Alzner (MTL), Thomas Greiss (NYI), Nick Bonino (NSH), Alex Steen (STL), Zach Hyman (TOR), Cody Eakin (VGK), Carl Hagelin (WSH), and Mathieu Perrault (WIN) as the preseason is wrapped up and teams look to finalize their rosters prior to the start of the regular season.

Monthly Recap:

Rangers Record (Month): 1-5-1*
Rangers Record (Season): 1-5-1*
*PRESEASON ONLY

Rangers Stats (9/30/19)*
*PRESEASON ONLY
Player NamePositionGPGAPTS
LemieuxLW7516
ChytilC7336
FastRW7325
KakkoRW7325
HowdenC7055
Di GiuseppeLW6044
DeAngeloD7044
ZibanejadC1101
FoxD1011
BuchnevichLW1011
LindgrenD7011
StromeC1000
KreiderLW1000
TroubaD1000
PanarinLW1000
SkjeiD1000
BrouwerRW1000
WilliamsRW2000
SmithD6000
HajekD 7 0 0 0
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Rangers Lineup (9/30/19)
Left WingCenterRight Wing
Panarin (89)Zibanejad (87)Kreider (83)
Buchnevich (82)Strome (81)Williams (82)
Fast (80)Chytil (80)Kakko (81)
Lemieux (77)Howden (79)Brouwer (78)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Scratched: LW Phillip Di Giuseppe (76), C Greg McKegg (75)
DefenseDefense
Fox (83)Trouba (85)
DeAngelo (80)Skjei (84)
Hajek (78)Lindgren (78)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Scratched: D Brendan Smith (76)
Goalies
Lundqvist (88)
Shesterkin (80)
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Next Update: October, 2019​

Last edited: