NHL 20 GM Mode Logs & Conversation

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
The late bloomers.... A Detroit Red Wings story.
635781686397151136-red-wings-logo.JPG

May 22nd 2019
The Seattle Eagles...

The NHL announced today it’s intention to expand to to Seattle where team owner Jerry Bruckheimer announced that his team would be called the Eagles.

The NHL will hold an expansion draft shortly and they will hold a supplement entry draft to allow for overage players, the decisions comes as a result of the league feeling the need to compensate the teams for the short notice of the draft.

It is expected that the Eagles will be busy in the coming days as they assemble their roster for this year's season.

Our insiders weigh in:

BobMacK:" Seattle GM Ron Francis is going to be very very busy the next few days as he builds his roster, don't be surprised if he makes a move or two with teams that are right up against the cap. I'm told Boston is expected to try to dump some salary and will be aggressive in their attempts. Don't be surprised to see a Boston-Seattle trade.

Darren D": " That's right, another thing I wanted to mention that has been lost in all the Seattle News is that their is a new GM in Detroit and his name is Martin Ward. He's an up and comer in hockey circles, he was the GM in Leksands in Sweden, they're not a big club but he's developed a few prospects on that team and actually got them back in the Elite league and then they lost in the semi finals this year. His work didn't go unnoticed as he takes over from Steve Yzerman who left his post to take care of his ailing wife.

PierreLeBrown: "Yeah Darren, we missed that press conference due to it conflicting with the Seattle announcement, but I wanted to highlight that in his press conference Ward vowed to return the Wings to their former glory and said he would be aggressive in doing so. He said he will hit the ground running and work to move some of the tough contracts he has. No one is safe there, says the team needs to go back to its identity and he will get them there. Told he has ownership approval to do as he pleases.

CraigyB: "It will be interesting to see, now a few days ago we reported on 3 college UFA's, Derek Gagne a centre from McGill of OUA, Nathan Stock of Carleton and Oskar Steen of Western. They're intriguing prospects for NHL teams, the belief amongst scouts is that they have potential to be decent NHL'ers but they don't know if they will hit that potential. The U Sports season is very short, its about 28 games.

GabrielHelfant_Hockey_web-1.jpg

So here's where it gets interesting: Gagne, (pictured above) scored 81 points in 26 games this season, 30 goals, 51 assists and then added 12 points in 4 games at the national championship where McGill lost to a West team that was led by Oskar Steen who was phenomenal all year, he did not allow a goal in his 4 games at the nationals. Western is a strong team in Canadian University hockey but Steen had a G.A.A of 1.51, allowing 32 goals in 22 games as he went 18-2-2 with a .960 Sv%, absolutely incredible numbers. Stock, a defenceman with what many consider to be an NHL shot, had 28 goals and 47 assists for 75 points in 28 games. His team did not make the national championships. Now these stats are eye popping for any league, usually the best players from U Sports sign pro deals but only the top ones sign in the AHL and their stat lines are not usually this good. All 3 players exploded this year, and teams feel that they will need a year in the AHL before making the jump. I'm told Ottawa, Buffalo and Detroit are the front runners for the 3 players, you may see all 3 on the same team.

Last edited:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.

June 26th 2020
NHL Supplemental draft

We're live at the supplemental draft, we have Seattle's roster that has been announced, it's headed by Eric Staal and Ryan McDonagh, along with a surprising candidate in Tyler Bertuzzi who was exposed by the the Detroit Red Wings.

BobMcK: "Yah in a surprising turn the Wings exposed Bertuzzi, I don't know if there's more to come because it's very quiet in Detroit right now.

DarrenD: Yes there's no new in Detroit right now, but opposing GM's have said that they have fielded calls from Martin Ward who is looking to make his mark.

PierreM: Yeah guys, sorry to interrupt but Martin Ward might of just blown up the hockey world he's made 3 trades and they're big ones. A league source tells me that Dylan Larkin is on the move and I'm told that New Jersey is sending Nikita Gusev to Detroit...
cut.jpg

James Duthie: Wow, this is massive if true. Something that we didn't mention in our coverage is that Detroit Ownership gave the ok to Martin Ward to really tear this team apart and do what he has to in order to turn it around. There's a lot of bad contracts that limits their financial flexibility and the organizational flexibility as well.

Ray Ferraro: yeah this is a tricky situation to navigate. Ward has good pieces but you look at the Nielsen contract and the Abdelkader one, those are hard to stomach and those aren't the only ones.

PierreLeBrown: Ok im getting word that Dylan Larkin is headed to the Seattle Eagles, it's a cap dump and its a big one. A Red Wings source has told me that fans will be sent a letter from Ward himself explaining today's trades and the team's direction. I am told that more big names are on the move in Detroit and that some staff are furious right now.

DarrenD: Yeah i can now confirm what Pierre has said, Detroit has moved Anthony Mantha and Filip Zadina. Lots of money moving here.

Ray Ferraro: A friend in the Wings front office told me this: "We will set the futility record next year, we're going to be very bad for awhile."

BobbyMcK: Ok I have the breakdown of the Seattle trade, it's a big one.

To Seattle
LW Tyler Bertuzzi via expansion draft
C Dylan Larkin
C Frans Nielsen
LW Justin Abdelkader
RW Luke Glendenning

To Detroit
RW Calle Jarnkrok

Ray Ferraro: This is a god awful trade, Martin Ward should be fired, I don't care how much cap space you're opening up, how much flexibility you're getting, to lose Larkin a first line enter to move out a brutal contract, a very bad contract and a not so great deal and only get a 3rd liner in return is awful. This is an absurd price to pay, buy these guys in the minors. You're rebuilding for crying out loud, this is horseshit.

Darren: A source in the Red Wings organization has told me that the Wings have moved out all their bad contracts today at a high price, feelings amongst most is that moving Nielsen and Abdelkader contracts were necessary, but others were overkill and the team could have stomached them.

Pierre: The 2nd Detroit trade is as follows:

To Detroit:
LW Nikita Gusev

To New Jersey
RW Filip Zadina
D Jonathan Ericsson
D Trevor Daley

Ray Ferraro: This is awfully you moved your best prospect to save what 3 million dollars and to get a guy who's unproven ? I don't know what to say, the Wings can afford to bury these guys. Red Wings nation, I am sorry you deserve better.

Darren Dreger: These are curious moves by the Red Wings, I spoke to one general manager who said this: I think he paid a very high price, these trades will set them back right now they're going to be very bad but he had to get some of them out of there. They've got a lot of young guys coming into the minors, they're in on the U Sports trio and you have to find minutes to play these guys. You don't want Luke Glendenning taking minutes from your young guns in the AHL, so i get that I do. Kenny's a great guy and he's won but he really f***ed over Detroit and the price to fix that is high. I wouldn't have moved Larkin but the rest yea I maybe would have pulled a trigged or 2.

We also now have the 3rd trade breakdown, which sees Anthony Mantha on the move:

cut.jpg

To Ottawa
LW Darren Helm
RW Anthony Mantha
D Danny Dekeser

To Detroit
RW Mikkel Boedker

Ray: This is just a brutal trade, I'm speechless, I'm out of words like how do the Illitch's, how does anyone in there ok this move ? it's worse than the god dam Larkin trade. Just awful, Detroit Red Wing fans i am sorry.

Bob Mc Kenzie: Yea the league reaction on these deals is all over the place, one GM said: He won't last long in the league with these moves. A Western Conference GM said: I could probably get his first rounder for my 6th if i take on Filpulla. Many GM's left wondering. I'm told that Ward will host a press conference in the coming days to explain his moves and his direction for the team.

Last edited:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.

July 5th 2019,

The dust has settled in Motor city, the riots have stopped, Martin Ward addresses the media for the first time.

It's been a hectic month, we've been very active with the rebuild. It's a rebuild, a tear down like they're doing in Ottawa. I know that we have a fan base that is both very upset and very concerned right now about the direction the team is headed. We want to get younger, we want to play a fast possession game, we're going to return to our recipe for success. We will acquire players who can fit into our possession based system and that's going to take time. I want this to be a place where we give players a chance an second chance, think of Dan Cleary years ago. We had many successful reclamation projects before, we weren't an offensive juggernaut but we always had the puck. We want to get back to that, and it's a long road for us to get there but we will.

As you know, I made a series of controversial trades that were aimed at setting our team in the right direction. We had some very bad contracts that we needed to get ourselves freed form and that comes at a price when you have so many. We have some good young players who need minutes and a place to play, you can't bury all of your mistakes in the same spot there's no room for them. We will absolutely miss the guys we moved but this was a necessary move. Lost in all of this the significant term and salary that was absorbed by the teams we made trades with.

We have another trade we'd like to announce at this time, and a couple of free agent signings.

To Dallas:
LW Brendan Perlini 78 ovr 23yr top 6 low 1 yr 700k
LW Dmytro Timashov 78 ovr 22yr tow 6 med 1yr 875k

To Detroit
RW Valeri Nichuskin 79 ovr 22yr low elite 1yr 895k
C Martin Hanzal 77 ovr 32yr bottom 6 exact 1yr 4.75M
4th round Dallas 2020

FA Signings
C Derek Gagne 80 ovr 24yr med elite 3yr 925k
C Marcus Kruger 78 ovr 29yr top 9 1yr 950l
D Nathan Stock 80 ovr 24yr med elite 3yr 925k
D David Schlemko 78 ovr 32yr top 6 1yr 1.1M

28911775001_5766323612001_5766312999001-vs.jpg

"We think that Valeri is a promising young winger who needs a change of scenery, he will be given every opportunity to reach his potential. We feel that Brendan and Dmytro do not fit into our roster scheme at the time and that they would be better suited for a different organization. Martin brings a veteran element to our team and he's good on the draw which be important for us. The draft pick will add to what we already have, we will keep looking to get younger but for now we like our roster the way it is." -Martin Ward

We are thrilled that Derek and Nathan have chosen to sign with us, we were in on Steen but the path to the NHL was easier with Arizona and we respect his design to sign there. I have watched the trio in person, I believe that all 3 are closer to the NHL than we believe and I predict all 3 will play in this league for a long time.

Derek is a fast centre, probably faster than most guys in the NHL right now, he hands great hands and plays a 2 way game, I don't see why he can't fight for a role at training camp right now.
14-Jan-2014-MacLean.jpg

Nathan, (pictured above) is a smooth skating defenceman with a booming shot, he moves the puck well, he will have to get stronger like Derek and they both have to adjust to the pro game. We are excited to have both of them with us.

Marcus and David bring depth to out roster, they're on 1 year deals so if things don't work out we can move on.

Last edited:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
The late Bloomers.. A Detroit Red Wings story.

Season preview, October 3rd 2019.

Patience, that's the word that has been thrown around camp as the Wings prepare to start their season. Things are not expected to be very rosy this year, the Wings will face a long and difficult season as they are expected to finish in the basement. The offence will be lead by Nikita Gusev, a veteran of 7 NHL games and 36 year old Valeri Fillpula. The team's 2 rookie FA signings, Nathan Stock and Derek Gagne are expected to start the season with the big club, but perhaps they are just stop gaps.

The team is expected to lineup like this on opening night:

Gusev (82)-Gagne (80)-Gurianov (79)
Hirose (79)-Fillpula (80)-Fabbri (79)
Erne (77)-Kruger (77)-Jarnkrok (82)
Puempel (75)-Hanzal (77)-Boedker (78)

Stock (80)-Cholowski (81)
Hronek (80)-Nemeth (80)
Bowey (78)-Schlemko (78)

Howard (81)
Bernier (81)

Our Red Wings correspondent Kris Draper had this to say about the team: They will struggle all year, there's a lack of basically everything. The one positive I have so far is that this team has some intriguing players. Gusev should be a top 6 player with some skill, I do like him and Gurianov has a high ceiling if he gets there. Lots of skill between those 2, I will also add that I am surprised to see Gagne on the first line but man was he ever good in the pre-season with 5 goals in 7 games. He wins draws, he flies, he may be the fastest player in the league and he's very smart. At worst he's a very good 4th line centre, at best who knows, this guy can play. I think the 2nd line has some speed in Hirose and Fabbri, maybe they surprise a big and help keep the Wings competitive. The bottom 6 is brutal, aside from Jarnkrok there isn't much, very slow 4th line and a slow 3rd, expect them to get scored on a lot and to always be in their own end.

On D I really like Stock, he's got a great shot and a good stick. He could be good he's one to watch, they're young but they're fast. With time I can see this unit being a force, that being said right now it will be a struggle and expect to see lots of mistakes.
JimmyHowardRW.jpg

In goal I think the plan is to split duties between both Howard and Bernier for now, they need a long term solution and I don't know that they have it. I predict it will be a long year and a big struggle for the Wings the year. They will be in lottery contention.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
The late bloomers, a Detroit Red Wings story.

One hit wonder ? Rookie of the year ? The future is bright, or is it ? These are the questions facing the team as they enter into the off-season after a year that can only be considered a success. Simply put the Red Wings did what no one expected them to do, and that was compete. They competed hard all year long, Rookies Nathan Stock and Dominic Gagne were a revelation, both Calder contenders. Gagne led the league in face-off win % and led the Wings in points, he put up 67 points (36G, 31A) as he dazzled fans at little caesars arena all year long. Nathan Stock led all defenceman in goals with 25, while Denis Gurianov displayed a strong 2-way game and put up a career high 49 points (23G, 26A). Bright spots were all over the Wings as they showed character, grit and determination all year long.

The team was full of surprises and moments of individual brilliance, all of the teams young players showed signs of improvement. Fans were worried after Ward shipped out what seemed like the whole town but the Wings surprised everyone going 38-35-9. The question now is can they build on this year's success or will they regress next season ?

TSN's Bob McKenzie had this to say about the Wings:
"Detroit went and surprised the entire league last year, no one thought they're be this good and quite frankly yes Detroit has a good team. Several scouts agreed on a consensus that Detroit may have been the fastest team in the league and that they're just very smart. It made them tough to play against and hard to beat, however these scouts also agreed that the Wings goaltending was atrocious and that it cost them a spot in the playoffs. If Detroit is to make any improvement it will start in nets, this is something highlighted by Martin Ward in his end of year presser. He also said that he felt the team could use a bit more leadership, he will look to use the trade market to upgrade the goaltending and perhaps add some depth at centre. He said Fillpula played well but we have to be realistic here and find someone who will fit long term, be it internally or externally."

Ray Ferraro also chimed in:
"I'll be the first to say that I don't like Martin Ward, but I think that he did a great job at establishing an identity this year and he wants to stick to it. Fast and smart is going to win you a lot of games even if you're lacking in other departments. Another tidbit here, Nathan Stock and Derek Gagne, who will the calder in my opinion, really impressed me last year. The Wings are very high on both, as are other teams in the league who feel that the pair might be elite players in this league but they wanna see more. One GM I spoke to said this: Gagne flies out there and he wins face-offs, that's huge. He doesn't just fly up, he flies back on d and on the back check he would drive our guys nuts. He's really competitive and works very hard. As for Stock, he shoot that puck so hard and he's got a great stick, they need more talent but those 2 will carry the team forward mark my words.

The Wings are expected to have a busy off-season and they will pick 11th at the 2020 NHL entry draft.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Gusev (82)-Gagne (80)-Gurianov (79)
Hirose (79)-Fillpula (80)-Fabbri (79)
Erne (77)-Kruger (77)-Jarnkrok (82)
Puempel (75)-Hanzal (77)-Boedker (78)

Stock (80)-Cholowski (81)
Hronek (80)-Nemeth (80)
Bowey (78)-Schlemko (78)

Howard (81)
Bernier (81)

Your team is about as bad as my intentionally awful expansion team, kudos to you!

kinger8998

Apr 5, 2015
Nova Scotia
You always seem to have the worst luck with these GM logs. Look forward to the next one though!
I’ve tried moving it over to a word or a google doc to save there and then re-transfer over, but the tables and formatting doesn’t work that way.

Wish HFBoards had a save progress function.

Problem of my own busy life lol

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
Bob McKenzie @TSNBobMcKenzie
#Habs have relieved Marc Bergevin from his duties; Trevor Timmins has also been fired.

Police Montréal @SPVM
English: as shown in the video in the last tweet, two gentlemen assaulted a tailor in a suit shop. The one having his suit taken in, identified as “Marc” berated the tailor, a second man, “Trevor” applied a headlock and wet willy to the tailor and proclaimed he did not belong in the “bicep club.”

Canadiens Montréal @CanadiensMTL
The search for a new general manager begins...
Decided against this log because I got 6 years in and god damn it was frustrating.

fear not though, notably @Serac ill have something else

Reactions: Cor

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
The late bloomers, A Detroit Red Wings story,

July 1st, 2020

The NHL decided that due to to the Corona Virus Pandemic, the draft and free agent were to be held on July first. This led to a very busy day for any teams and what is going to be an exciting entry draft. The Seattle Eagles hold the first pick where they will select Alexis Lafreniere. Another team to watch will be the New Jersey Devils who hold 3 picks in the top 10, including picks 3 and 4. Robin Lehner leads the FA class and a number of teams including the Detroit Red Wings and Ottawa Senators are after him.

As part of our ongoing coverage, we will give you a breakdown of signings, trades and draft picks as they occur. Expect much to happen on what will be an exciting day.

Our Red Wings Correspondent Kris Draper joins us to provide an outlook on what to expect from the Red Wings today: " Thanks James, it's very quiet on the Wings front. They've become very difficult to get any kind of news out of, my source tells me that the plan is to wait and see. They know they need better goaltending and they are going to address that need today, what kind of fix it is, is really anyone's guess. They have a core of guys that are between 23-27 and they would like to know how good these kids are before making any kind of drastic move. I think today's moves will be veterans or guys who can help the in the short term and take some of the load off of the young guys. Martin Ward did provide us with a list of players that would not be back with the team next year, they are as follows:

Martin Hanzal C 77 ovr
Marcus Kruger C 77 ovr
Mikkel Boedker RW 78 ovr
David Schlemko D 78 ovr
Jimmy Howard G 81 ovr

There is no real surprise here, we know they wanted to upgrade their depth and maybe implement 1-2 of the guys they have in Grand Rapids and they've got room to do that now. We knew a change was coming in the Goaltending department, i'd imagine they'll do a bit more before the day is done.

Thank you Kris for this news, we have a trade to announce Nashville has acquired Eric Staal from the Seattle Eagles, bit of a surprise as they have so many centres there already.

BobbyMac: Yeah I'm not sure what this means for Nashville as they have so many centres already, a lot fo chatter there, I think the plan is maybe to play some of them on the wing, and maybe Mikael Granlund is on his way out.

We'll get start with our draft coverage, this is a streamlined event so the picks are coming in fast.

1st overall SEA selects Alexis Lafreniere
2nd overall MIN selects Quinton Byfield
3rd overall NJ selects Marco Rossi
4th overall NJ Selects Hendrix Lapierre
5th overall LA selects Jamie Drysdale

So we now have our top 5 in, there any surprise here right now guys ?

Pierre: Well how about the New Jersey Devils who now have Jack Hughes, Nico Hirshier at centre and they add 2 high end centres... I don't think they needed to do that here.

Bob: They just drafter another centre at 6, very interesting indeed. The Larkin-Lafreniere punch in Seattle is going to be very very good for a long time, they had a rough year that is only going to get better.

So far not many surprises we're at #11, which Philadelphia moved up to get. They got it from Detroit in exchange for 14 and a 3rd in 2021, they're going to take Swedish Center Anton Lundell.

So here we are now at 14, Martin Ward is stepping up to the stage:

Hello Red Wings fans watching across the world, we want to thank you for your continued support. With the 14th overall pick in the 2020 NHL entry draft, the Detroit Red Wings select Yaroslav Askarov.

Ray: wow, this is huge. I am not a Ward supporter but he's the best goalie in the draft since Carey Price, he's maybe a year or 2 away at most. He wasn't good at the WJC's but man does this guy compete and win. He has franchise goaltender written all over him, I love this pick. They know they need a goalie long term and he will be their solution longterm. He has won almost everything at the junior level, he's athletic, he's calm, he's a big game competition and he will fit in with what they have in Detroit.

Craig Button: Yeah this pick could be the steal of the draft, the Wings love their Russians and their Swedes, they've talked at length at returning to their past glory well this is a huge step in the way back. He will be their best goalie since Dominik Hasek.

Pierre LeBrown: On the subject on the Wings and their goaltending, they've signed Thomas Greiss to a 1 year 5.5M deal, he will be their starting goaltender. I really like this move, a good veteran presence for them and they've be able to have a stop gap and give Askarov time to develop.

Bobby Mac: Yea this is good move for them, they aren't done yet. They've made a few signings, D Jay Bouwmmeester is coming over form the Blues on a 1 year deal worth 6.8M.

Ray: These are 2 veterans that will give them leadership, they're young, they don't have much experience but this is a start. They have Mortiz Seider down in Grand Rapids who we though would jump in, and now they can go and give him more time to develop. These are very good moves for them.

Darren Dreger: We have more Wings news, they've signed both Carl Soderberg and Anthony Duclair to 1yr 3M deals, Soderberg gives them some depth at centre while they take a flyer on Duclair.

FrankSeravalli: I really what they've done here today, they add 3 good character verterans that can still give you a solid contribution. They draft their goalie of the future, they also took a flyer on a Finnish goalie by the name of Samu Nieminem, he's an overage player, who played for Malmo in the Swedish Hockey league, he took over as the starter mid year going 13-8-3 with 2 SO and a .914 sv%. Time will tell what happens, but one to look at. They also took a flyer on a ukrainian Jacob Kalinin, he destroyed the junior league there, went to Russia and put up 20 pts (9g, 11a) this year in the KHL, he has a contract there for another 3 years and has no plans to leave if not he would have been a first rounder.

James: Some big moves by the Wings, one thing I wonder about Anthony Duclair guys, what's the deal here ?

Darren: Well he's on his last chance, he's been through so many different teams he needs to make it work in Detroit. Martin Ward believes in giving chances, and reclamation projects, let me tell you they think he has the skill to play in their top 6. If he puts it together he could be a first liner, but it's a big if. 3 scouts I talked to, all told me he's very skilled but there work ethic and attitude is severely lacking.

Ray: Yea, I can confirm this he drove Torts crazy in Columbus, D.J Smith couldn't stand him so I don't know if it's going to work out there. It's a young team, they're inexperienced but they've got a good culture. This is a low risk high reward move.

Well, that wraps up our coverage for today. Stay tuned for more news on tsn.ca. Thank you and have a great day !

(I played before writing this up so I don't have the whole draft order, if you'd like to know where a certain player went let me know)

Last edited:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
The late bloomers, A Detroit Red Wings story

February 28th, 2021

We're live with our FSN coverage of the 2021 trade deadline, i'm your host Darren McCarthy, we'll be touching base with our colleagues over at TSN and we've got Kris Draper and Chris Chelios here who will be providing an analysis on any moves the Wings might make today.

Before we get started lets take a look at Detroit so far this season,

Team Stats
62 gp, 31 w, 29 l, 2 otl 64 pts 203 gf 187 ga

Team leaders
Derek Gagne 62 gp 31g 42a 73pts
Nikita Gusev 62gp 16g 48a 64pts
Nathan Stock 62gp 30g 21a 51pts
Denis Gurianov 62gp 23g 22a 45pts
Anthony Duclair 62gp 21g 23a 44pts

Lines:
Gusev (82) Gagne (84) Gurianov (84)
Hirose (81) Fillpula (83) Duclair (82)
Erne (81) Rasmussen (79) Fabri (82)
Svechnikov (79) Soderberg (81) Jarnkrok (82)

Stock (84) Hronek (82)
Cholowski (82) Bowey (81)
Bouwmeester (81) Nemeth (80)

Griess (84)
Bernier (81)

The Red Wings are expected to be sellers at this year's deadline, as they continue to build twords an eventual playoff berth in the coming years. The team is in a competitive Atlantic division which boasts cup contenders Toronto and Buffalo.

Kris, Chris what are your thoughts on the Wings as things stand ?

K.D: We'll it's been an up and down year for the Wings, I don't know that they took the step forward that they wanted to. I think they're thrilled with the development of Stock and Gagne, they've both been so good for the team. It's crazy to see how much they've improved lets not forget where both were a little over a year and a half ago. Duclair has been a pleasant surprise and well the offence as a whole has been very good. I think in goal they've struggled to get consistent goaltending and that's not a knock on Thomas Griess or Jonathan Bernier in terms of ability. They've put a heavy workload on both and quite frankly you can't expect that from either of them. I know they have looked at an insurance policy, Arizona's Oskar Steen was a guy they liked and really wanted to sign before he went there, I don't know if they circle back. They have Yaroslav Askarov in the system, he's doing very well in Swift Current after coming over from Russia, but they don't want to rush him. I know they feel that they've put a lot of pressure on Stock, Gurianov and Gagne, the secondary scoring isn't there after Duclair so if they could make a hockey trade to add a guy who can take some of those minutes they'd certainly do it. You look at there core and I'd say they'd want a piece that can fit in with them. I think it's the kind of move you make in the off-season at the draft and not now but we'll see. Right now expect to see Fillpula and Bouwmeester on the move.

C.C: Yeah, I agree with Kris. Martin Ward has been quiet on the trade market since his opening flurry, he's a patient GM. They have some good prospects in the AHL, they got Jakob Kalinin to come over and he's ripping up the AHL. Moritz Seider is promising right now, they aren't in a rush. That being said, they've looked at Oskar Steen and Philadelphia's Travis Konecny extensively, they've got some picks and prospects. They would love to add a now peice, but it's tricky.

We actually have a huge blockbuster to share with you guys, let's switch over to our trade breakers at TSN.

Gord: Yea I've got one, Henrik Lundivst is going to the Buffalo Sabres.

Bob: A couple of draft pics are moving hands here, you'll see a first going to the New York Rangers, they're in a bit of a rebuild and they aren't quite there yet. Igor Shesterin has really exploded onto the scene and made Lundqvist expendable and that's not to say he's a bad good.

Ray: No he's not, he's a clear starter in this league, he's a veteran who gives Buffalo what they've been missing. This is a wow move and I think it makes Buffalo the team to beat, they are so good with Dahlin and Eichel.

Darren: I've got another trade, Marc Vlasic of the Sharks to Seattle.

Pierre: Jaeden Schwartz to LA.

Wow so a flurry of moves, Buffalo looking very strong now. We'll see if we can get the King on the line, but for now let's take a break and our FSN viewers will switch back to FSN.

So we're back and that's a big move in Buffalo, makes the Sabres a real contender.

C.C: I don't see what can stop them now, Hank is a winner and they needed a big game goalie and they got one.

K.D: My Thoughts exactly Chris, young team with a lot of good elite talent, I really like their chances right now.

Last edited:

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
My save got corrupted, cat knocked out the wire on my Xbox as I was exiting a game. Kitten problems I tell ya.

will start a new one today, we’re going to Cali. Where is the question ?

Will will lead the Sharks to their first cup ?
Will we restore the rule of the once powerful Kings ?
Can we make the ducks fly high again ?

Each team will come with their own challenge, and different types of ownership.

I believe that California will be the most challenging scenario. The high tax rate coupled with the aging rosters and lack of depth/star power should make for a real challenge.

each team can be blown up or maybe the team is a few years away from being a contender with the right moves ? (Well maybe not the kings)

While I set things up, I’d love to get you guys’s feedback and opinion....

Should I include my CAP And make him a legend ?

should we have a set of rules ? (Internal budget, crazy owner, random events like DanielPAlfredsson used to do)

anything you can think of let me know.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
My save got corrupted, cat knocked out the wire on my Xbox as I was exiting a game. Kitten problems I tell ya.

I believe that California will be the most challenging scenario. The high tax rate coupled with the aging rosters and lack of depth/star power should make for a real challenge.

each team can be blown up or maybe the team is a few years away from being a contender with the right moves ? (Well maybe not the kings)

should we have a set of rules ? (Internal budget, crazy owner, random events like DanielPAlfredsson used to do)

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
2021/2022 Season

With the Monarchs still in the basement of the league talent-wise, this will likely be another rough season for them.
2020 2nd overall pick A. Lafrenière (86) is already emerging as the Ducks most talented skater on the team and is on their top line in his 2nd year.
2020 1st overall pick C. Domingue (88) is also one of the most talented players on the Ottawa roster, carrying their top line with ease. 2021 1st overall pick, A. Räty, however is not being rushed and is being started in the AHL after he seemed to hit a setback in development during the offseason (76 to 75).

STL acquire: N. Petan (83, Top 9 F)
BCM acquire: T. Rochette (70, Top 6 F) & 2023 STL 4th

VAN acquire: D. Hunt (80, Top 9 F)
BCM acquire: VAN 2022 1st & VAN 2023 5th

PIT acquire: J. Neal* (81) & C. Whynot (58)
BCM acquire: PIT 2023 1st
*J. Neal 50% retained

WPG acquire: J. Hawryluk (78, Top 9 F)
BCM acquire: B. Wheeler (84) & WPG 2023 2nd

BOS acquire: N. Leddy (84) & D. Helm (77)
NYI acquire: BOS 2022 1st & BOS 2023 2nd

WPG acquire: B. Hunt (80), B. Pirri (79), CBJ 2022 3rd
DAL acquire: L. Stanley (75, Top 4 D) & WPG 2023 3rd

SJS acquire: B. Wheeler* (84), N. Goldobin (79), R. Chartier (77), PIT 2022 2nd
BCM acquire: T. Hertl (85) & SJS 2023 4th
B. Wheeler 50% retained

WPG acquire: E. Staal (84), N. Sturm (77), A. Stalock (79)
MIN acquire: N. Malik (67, Starter) & WPG 2022 3rd

TOR acquire: H. Lundqvist (83) & T. Nosek (78)
CGY acquire: K. Miller (80), TOR 2022 6th, TOR 2022 7th

EDM acquire: T. Hertl (85)
BCM acquire: T. Dellandrea (75, Top 6 F), EDM 2023 1st, EDM 2023 3rd

NSH acquire: M. McCarron (78) & M. Mueller (79)
BCM acquire: NSH 2022 2nd & NSH 2022 5th

This trade deadline it appears the Winnipeg Jets are taking a little bit of a run. They were surprisingly eager to shed Blake Wheelers contract alongside a 2nd round pick for a player with a small bit of potential (trade finder), but it did open up the cap necessary to acquire Eric Staal.
They made a questionable move though, trading a promising prospect in L. Stanley for depth, but you do you.

Much like A. Duclair two years ago, BCM tried to take advantage of T. Hertl being on the trade block, but again, he wasn't interested in an extension. They did however turn other roster members that didn't want to re-sign into a nice futures package after flipping them, then Hertl, to Edmonton.

Post deadline team:
OFF: 78
DEF: 83
GOA: 79

RecordHomeAwayGFPGGAPGPP%PK%
30-41-1111-22-819-19-33.023.4811.3%84.5%
BCM pretty bad at home, but 500% on the road!
Scoring also up quite nicely from the previous year.

Ending the year with 114 points, the Colorado Avalanche captures the President's trophy.
With a pitiful 64 points the LA Kings are last in the league. The BC Monarchs are actually 3rd last with their moderately decent 71 points.

Player Stats
Leading the league in goals this year is the pesky Russian...E. Malkin getting 55 goals. Teammate S. Crosby was second with 54 goals.

Leading the league in points is a tie between E. Malkin and N. MacKinnon both scoring 113 points. Third is a surprise S. Reinhart who tallied 110 points.

BCM Stats
Leading the team in goals scored is once again A. Johnsson who scored 30 goals setting another franchise high. Next was K. Okposo with 25 goals.

No surprise here as A. Johnsson also led the team in points with 73, with K. Okposo behind him with 70.

ARI vs NSH (NSH wins 4-2)
COL vs STL (STL wins 4-3)
VAN vs EDM (EDM wins 4-1)
SJS vs DAL (DAL wins 4-0)

PHI vs WSH (WSH wins 4-1)
PIT vs TOR (PIT wins 4-1)
FLA vs BOS (BOS wins 4-1)
TBL vs CAR (CAR wins 4-3)
-----
NSH vs STL (STL wins 4-2)
EDM vs DAL (EDM wins 4-1)

PIT vs WSH (WSH wins 4-2)
BOS vs CAR (CAR wins 4-3)
-----
STL vs EDM (EDM wins 4-2)

WSH vs CAR (WSH wins 4-1)
-----
EDM vs WSH (WSH wins 4-3)

What was surely a fun series that went 7 games, Washington defeats the defending champions, with A. Ovechkin winning the Conn Smythe, scoring an incredible 23 goals, while only getting 4 assists in 23 playoff games. One might argue C. McDavid and his 40 points in 23 games could have been more deserving, but alas.
Canadiens R. Ramo wins the Calder scoring 27 goals and 21 assists. He was the Canadiens 11th overall pick in 2020.

Reactions: Mal Reynolds

M.C.G. 31

Damn, he brave!
Oct 6, 2008
Ottawa
2019-2020 Minnesota Wild

Rules/Settings:
Scoring sim:
High (for one year, then medium)
Trade difficulty: Hard
Morale: Off, cause it's broken
Rule: no more than two (2) trades a season for draft picks, spans from pre-season to the draft / pick-for-pick trades allowed on draft day / free agency a free period to work on roster space and fit / hockey trades (position supplies for need) has no limit / no trading into the top-5 of the draft allowed ever.

- In the summer of 2019, the Minnesota Wild decided to change course completely, and start anew with a whole new general manager and front office team. It was a shock to the hockey world, as the Minnesota Wild named a relatively unknown man to head the team as the new general manager, and that man's name was Lance Catamaran. Lance Catamaran never played hockey at the pro level... in fact, his knowledge of hockey is questionable these days, leading to speculation on how he even got the job. All that's known of Lance Catamaran is he partake in broadcasting, and some rumours say he did broadcasting work in the Southpaw Regional UpUpDownDown Hockey Association, however, people did some digging and found out that that hockey association never even existed, and the only links with "Southpaw Regional" lead to lost tapes doomed forever from the 1980s and 90s.

Lance himself has a calm, stoic, straight man demeanour. A calming force to take the front office position in Minnesota. Along with him, Lance Catamaran introduced his assistant general manager, Chett Chetterfield, and a head scout simply being a woman named "Susan."

In Lance Catamaran's press conference to introduce him, he said -- in his calm, stoic, broadcasting voice -- that it will take time, but this team will have a new identity, and soon, on every (lethal) leap year and those years in between, they will all spell "SUCCESS" for the Minnesota Wild.

img_4761.png

Pictured: The new faces of the Minnesota Wild, AGM Chett Chetterfield (left) and GM Lance Catamaran (right). Source unknown.

OPENING LINEUP

Zach Parise (84) - Eric Staal (85) - Mats Zuccarello (84)
Kevin Fiala (83) - Mikko Koivu (83) - Ryan Hartman (79)
Jordan Greenway (78) - Ryan Donato (80) - Alex Galchenyuk (82)
Marcus Foligno (78) - Luke Kunin (79) - Joel Eriksson Ek (78)
Victor Rask (79)

Ryan Suter (88) - Jared Spurgeon (84)
Jonas Brodin (83) - Matt Dumba (85)
Brad Hunt (80) - Carson Soucy (77)
Greg Pateryn (77)

Devan Dubnyk (85) - Alex Stalock (80)

SEASON

- Before the season even started, a dark side of the new regime was shed light on as a potentially drunken Chett Chetterfield went on a rant caught on a secret record, saying he caught Alex Galchenyuk making advances on Susan and that he doesn't like him and he wanted him gone. All Chett Chetterfield could muster up was a loud sigh in response.
- It also became apparent in the secret recording that Lance Catamaran wants a young and fast team, while Chett Chetterfield could only speak about protecting Susan. Susan could not be reached for any comments.
- During the season, the Minnesota Wild saw surprising success that shocked the hockey world, and even Lance Catamaran himself, but he stuck to his guns on some key decisions, meanwhile, a rivalry was brewing between Chett Chetterfield, Alex Galchenyuk and Susan behind the scenes.

RECORD (MONTHLY)
Pre-season:
4-2-0
October: 6-5-2
November: 7-5-1 (13-10-3)
December: 9-6-0 (22-16-3)
January: 5-4-0 (27-20-3)
February: 9-5-0 (36-25-3)
March: 9-6-1 (45-31-4)
April: 2-0-0 (47-31-4)

TRANSACTIONS

JANUARY 1: Minnesota Wild trade C Alex Galchenyuk to Montreal Canadiens for D Josh Brook, C Alex Alain & MTL 2021 2nd round pick.

FEBRUARY 23:
Minnesota Wild trade C Eric Staal to Montreal Canadiens for RW Jesse Ylonen & C Aaron Luchuk.

- Chett Chetterfield ultimately got his wish, and despite the behind the scenes rivalry, and despite the success, Alex Galchenyuk was traded for what was hailed as solid return as Galchenyuk had very little value to other teams around the league.
- Despite a solid position at the trade deadline, the Minnesota Wild still opted to trade Eric Staal to slowly transition the team into the new direction.
- Despite all that and the selling of assets, the Minnesota Wild somehow made the playoffs and actually get home ice advantage as they finished 2nd in the Central division.

- The media caught up with general manager Lance Catamaran for comment on the Minnesota Wild's surprising playoff berth. Lance Catamaran said when he took this job and spoke to the media at the start of the season, he vowed every leap year would be lethal, and the Wild would make the playoffs and CRUSH the competition. Lance Catamaran revealed that he is a leap year baby and holds that close to his heart so it's personal for him. He revealed he was already heartbroken once by a... lethal non-leap year that sunk his old job, but "we don't talk about that anymore." That's why... Chett Chetterfield crashed the interview at this point, hollering for Susan to please come back and that he can change. Chett ran out of the scene, repeatedly yelling "SUSAN!" Lance Catamaran gave a far away look in Chett's distance, and could only muster up one last comment: "god help us all when we win the Stanley Cup and what he does to it."

TEAM STATS
Goals Scored: 263 (T14th)
Goals Against: 224 (1st)
Powerplay: 16.1% (18th)
Penalty Kill: 86.6% (3rd)
Home: 24-17-0
Away: 23-14-4

PLAYER STATS

Ryan Donato (82 GP - 24 Goals - 40 Assists - 64 Points)
Ryan Suter (82 GP - 21 Goals - 43 Assists - 64 Points)
Mats Zuccarello (82 GP - 18 Goals - 46 Assists - 64 Points)
Zach Parise (82 GP - 22 Goals - 38 Assists - 60 Points)
Mikko Koivu (82 GP - 16 Goals - 43 Assists - 59 Points)
Eric Staal* (60 GP - 18 Goals - 25 Assists - 43 Points)
Kevin Fiala (82 GP - 22 Goals - 21 Assists - 43 Points)
Matt Dumba (82 GP - 11 Goals - 29 Assists - 40 Points)
Jared Spurgeon (82 GP - 8 Goals - 26 Assists - 34 Points)
Alex Galchenyuk* (41 GP - 11 Goals - 21 Assists - 32 Points)
Jordan Greenway (82 GP - 19 Goals - 12 Assists - 31 Points)
Ryan Hartman (82 GP - 11 Goals - 15 Assists - 26 Points)
Luke Kunin (82 GP - 9 Goals - 17 Assists - 26 Points)
Joel Eriksson Ek (82 GP - 12 Goals - 12 Assists - 24 Points)
Brad Hunt (82 GP - 5 Goals - 17 Assists - 22 Points)
Victor Rask (22 GP - 11 Goals - 9 Assists - 20 Points)
Marcus Foligno (82 GP - 8 Goals - 10 Assists - 18 Points)
J.T. Brown (41 GP - 6 Goals - 7 Assists - 13 Points)
Carson Soucy*** (82 GP - 1 Goal - 11 Assists - 12 Points)

Devan Dubnyk (73 GP - 43-27-3 - 2 shutouts - .913 SV% - 2.60 GAA)
Alex Stalock (14 GP - 4-6-1 - 1 shutout - .905 SV% - 2.99 GAA)

*traded
**acquired via trade
***rookie

PLAYOFFS

ROUND 1 vs. Winnipeg Jets
Game 1:
Minnesota 3 vs. Winnipeg 4 - Winnipeg leads 1-0
Game 2: Minnesota 1 vs. Winnipeg 4 - Winnipeg leads 2-0
Game 3: Minnesota 6 @ Winnipeg 4 - Winnipeg leads 2-1
Game 4: Minnesota 4 @ Winnipeg 0 - Series tied 2-2
Game 5: Minnesota 5 vs. Winnipeg 4 - Minnesota leads 3-2
Game 6: Minnesota 4
@ Winnipeg 2 - Minnesota wins 4-2

ROUND 2 vs. Chicago Blackhawks
Game 1: Minnesota 6
vs. Chicago 1 - Minnesota leads 1-0
Game 2: Minnesota 4
vs. Chicago 3 - Minnesota leads 2-0
Game 3: Minnesota 3
@ Chicago 1 - Minnesota leads 3-0
Game 4: Minnesota 4
@ Chicago 1 - Minnesota wins 4-0

ROUND 3 vs. Calgary Flames
Game 1: Minnesota 6
vs. Calgary 3 - Minnesota leads 1-0
Game 2:
Minnesota 4 vs. Calgary 6 - Series tied 1-1
Game 3: Minnesota 5 @ Calgary 4 (OT) - Minnesota leads 2-1
Game 4: Minnesota 2
@ Calgary 0 - Minnesota leads 3-1
Game 5:
Minnesota 2 vs. Calgary 3 - Minnesota leads 3-2
Game 6:
Minnesota 1 @ Calgary 3 - Series tied 3-3
Game 7: Minnesota 1 vs. Calgary 2 - Calgary wins 4-3

TOP 5 PLAYOFF SCORERS

Zach Parise (17 GP - 6 Goals - 11 Assists - 17 Points)
Ryan Suter (17 GP - 4 Goals - 12 Assists - 16 Points)
Ryan Donato (17 GP - 3 Goals - 13 Assists - 16 Points)
Mats Zuccarello (17 GP - 4 Goals - 10 Assists - 14 Points)
Joel Eriksson Ek (17 GP - 9 Goals - 3 Assists - 12 Points)
Victor Rask (17 GP - 7 Goals - 5 Assists - 12 Points)

Devan Dubnyk (17 GP - 11-6-0 - 2 shutouts - .915 SV% - 2.65 GAA)

AWARDS
Stanley Cup - Toronto Maple Leafs
Vezina Trophy - Devan Dubnyk (MIN)
William M. Jennings - Devan Dubnyk (MIN)
Jack Adams Trophy - Serge Latendresse (MIN)

- Lance Catamaran and Chett Chetterfield were proud of the run and look to use it as a building block during this "retool" (NOT REBUILD). Chett Chetterfield said that after this astonishing success... "maybe... my love, Susan, will come home."

OFF-SEASON

DRAFT

- The Minnesota Wild have their own 1st round pick, and the 18th overall pick, from the Pittsburgh Penguins.

18th overall - RW Magnus Olofsson (18 years old, 72 overall, medium top 6)
28th overall - D Kaiden Guhle (18 years old, 65 overall, medium top 4)
59th overall - C Lukas Reichel (18 years old, 61 overall, medium top 9)
121st overall - G Tomas Vlk (19 years old, 64 overall, medium fringe starter)
152nd overall - D Quinton Ott (18 years old, 58th overall, medium 7th)
183rd overall - D Christoffer Sedoff (18 years old, 53 overall, medium top 6)
214th overall - LW Viktor Vasilyev (17 years old, 51 overall, low top 6)

RE-SIGN

C Luke Kunin
[22 years old, 81 overall] --> 1 year / 1.5m AAV
LW Jordan Greenway
[23 years old, 79 overall] --> 2 years / 1.5m AAV

LOST

C Mikko Koivu --> UFA

Mikko Koivu left to UFA, citing he wanted to test the market after long negotiations and issues he has with Chett Chetterfield and his behaviour. Chett took offense to this, and openly went on a drunken rant to a reporter at a bar, alternating between his sadness about Susan not returning home and Mikko Koivu leaving.

FREE AGENCY / OFF-SEASON

Minnesota signs...

RW Stefan Noesen
[27 years old, 81 overall] --> 2 years / 2.2M AAV
D Andrej Sekera
[34 years old, 80 overall] --> 1 year / 2M AAV
D Andreas Borgman
[25 years old, 78 overall] --> 2 years / 1M AAV
G Connor Ingram
[23 years old, 71 overall] --> 2 years / 775K AAV

TRADE ALERT

JULY 27 -
Minnesota Wild trade D Jared Spurgeon and MIN 2022 5th round pick to the Dallas Stars for DAL 2021 1st round pick & DAL 2021 2nd round pick.

- Both, Lance Catamaran and Chett Chetterfield were in agreement about getting out from that Jared Spurgeon contract that they didn't sign, so the trade was a no brainer that fell into their lap when offered to them. Moving Spurgeon was said to be key in the long-term plan to open up cap space so when the time is right in the retool, the Wild can make a "big splash" in free agency.

YEAR 1 RECAP

Record:
47-31-4 - 98 points
Playoffs: Eliminated in 3rd round vs. Calgary Flames (7 games)
Players Lost: Alex Galchenyuk (trade), Eric Staal (trade), Mikko Koivu (UFA), Jared Spurgeon (trade)
Assets Acquired: Jesse Ylonen (trade), Josh Brook (trade), Stefan Noesen (UFA), DAL 2021 1st & 2nd round picks​

Conor Edwards

Oct 22, 2018
Detroit, MI
There's no reason to call it "late blooming" if you're just hard tanking and hoping it comes back to you. Getting rid of LITERALLY EVERYONE GOOD isn't a recipe for future success, it's shooting your prospects in the foot because they grow faster with good players than they do with nobodies, and no draft capital in the world can remedy that.

GAMO1992

#ThankYouIggy
Dec 9, 2011
Ontario, Canada

damn that suuuucks. that Wings GM log was starting to get really good!! :(

I'd suggest the Sharks, they're in a really awkward spot with some very high salary guys, with some pretty good players, but goaltending is very suspect and the depth is just not there. Would be an interesting rebuild scenario, scorched earth style?

yeah I'm always down to see a CAP in a gm log, just as long as he isn't a stud immediately ;)

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.

I'd suggest the Sharks, they're in a really awkward spot with some very high salary guys, with some pretty good players, but goaltending is very suspect and the depth is just not there. Would be an interesting rebuild scenario, scorched earth style?

yeah I'm always down to see a CAP in a gm log, just as long as he isn't a stud immediately ;)
To the OP’s, was supposed to have my 3 caps lead the way on the rebuild and get a core of players 23-27 to build with, guys with low eite.

hence late bloomers, a couple of the cap dumps were ok, but I went a little hard lol.

Gamo, I feel like a SJ rebuild could be easy. But no first this year...

Was leaning towards LA they’re awful, but 2 franchise studs.... maybe trade them. Trade 1, idk.

cap legend could be fun

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.

To the OP’s, was supposed to have my 3 caps lead the way on the rebuild and get a core of players 23-27 to build with, guys with low eite.

hence late bloomers, a couple of the cap dumps were ok, but I went a little hard lol.

Gamo, I feel like a SJ rebuild could be easy. But no first this year... i was pretty upset; I had a good team, needed 1 or 2 moves to get them to the play offs.

Was leaning towards LA they’re awful, but 2 franchise studs.... maybe trade them. Trade 1, idk.

cap legend could be fun

jprenkert

Mar 7, 2014
Metro Detroit
I started one with the Wings and i think i scorched earth too much trading alot of vets, youngsters I dont want for picks/high picks and now it constantly freezes after I fired my whole coaching staff during the first month of the third season and hired a whole new staff. Have a lot of young (under-30) talent. Ive simmed all but the occasional game. Might have to restart this franchise so it will not freeze constantly. I hope.

IHaveNoCreativity

May 5, 2012
Somewhere in Quebec.
The odd man out... A San Jose Sharks Story

We're live at the 2020 NHL Entry Draft in Montreal Quebec, James Duthie here, I'm joined by our TSN panel, Dave Reid from the NHL network and Owen Nolan from FSN California. We're here bringing you coverage of the 2020 draft.
NHLDraftMontreal2020-690x388.jpg

It's going to be a big day for all hockey fans out there and the young men who are drafted today, the New Jersey Devils hold the first pick where they are expected to pick Alexis Lafreniere, they also hold the 4th overall pick. We have some really big news out of San Jose today, first of all Doug Wilson is no longer the GM, he has been moved up stairs where he will occupy the role of President and CEO of the San Jose Sharks, next up the Sharks have announced that Martin Ward, a league ambassador who was the GM of HC Lugano in the Swiss NLA will be taking over as GM. But wait, the Sharks news doesn't stop there, they have fired their coaching staff. Now, San Jose held a press conference last night in Montreal to announce this news, we wanted to share this quote from the new GM Martin Ward, and we'll have our experts weigh in on the quote and the news in San Jose:
maxresdefault.jpg

"I'm thrilled to have the chance to bring a cup to San Jose, becoming a GM is a dream come true. I think that we have a lot of work to here, we're very far away from our ultimate goal of winning a cup. The truth is we're losers and were chokers. All we have done here in the past 20 years is disappoint really, every year we're in the category of contenders and every year we offer promise and hype and we say this is the year and then the time comes to perform and we don't. Then we go out and make a big move and we say the time is now, we'll win now, then we choke and we say next year is our year. Well the problem is that we've been saying that for almost 15 years now. Every year is the year, and here we are now having missed the playoffs. And its not for a lack of trying, we tried really hard to get it done and the truth is that this core can't win. They aren't winners, they don't have it as a group. Now individually we do have players who are winners, but they're what I call group winners. They win with other winners, they can't take losers and turn them into winners. I sit here today and I tell you that truthfully we wasted Joe's prime, we wasted Pat's, guys have come here to win and we haven't done that. We've been trying to win since the early 2000's, in that time our rivals LA and Anaheim have won 3 times, they've been to what 8 conference finals ? 5 cup finals ? Vegas have gone, it took them a year. So here we are with what 1 trip in how many years of trying ? It's horseshit, its not f***ing good enough for the talent we have had and have now. We are losers, Doug tried really hard, we've have great coaches and a whole staff at the NHL and AHL level had payed the price, for our player's failures. We've held the execs accountable, it's time to do the same here and we will do that starting today. It's starts from the bottom, we have some pieces, moves will be made and we're going to look for guys who have a proven history of winning at all levels. We will build a champion here and one with our AHL team. It will be a long process, we will make some tough moves, but at a point we can't keep on trying with a group that keeps falling." -Martin Ward, GM San Jose Sharks

Some strong words from the new GM in San Jose, there's been a big reaction to them and we'll discuss that later. Obviously a very big day in San Jose, we'll have our experts weigh in but first let's go to the draft floor where New Jersey will kick things off.

With the first overall pick in the 2020 NHL entry draft, New Jersey selects from Rimouski of the QMJHL, Alexis Lafreniere.

No surprise there, now is where it gets interesting. Ottawa is up next and from here the draft will get interesting.

So we have a trade and it's a big one, San Jose has traded D Marc Edouard Vlasic to Nashville, commissioner Bettman will be up on the stage in a moment to announce it.
USATSI_9292575.jpg

Bettman: San Jose trades Marc-Edouard Vlasic to Nashville for picks 9, 42 in this year's draft, along with Nashville's 1st and 5th round picks in 2021.

Duthie: Wow that's a big one, talk about making an immediate impact.

Darren: Yeah I gotta say I didn't see this coming, Nashville was definitely looking to move 9 for an impact player. They feel they still have a chance to win, I just didn't expect them to go out and get Vlasic. This is a huge haul for the Sharks, they really got a great return. Nashville is giving up a lot, I like what he brings to them but they need to win a cup with him for what they've just given up.

Bob: Yeah this a big one, Nashville was always trying to move this pick and I'm told Martin Ward is eyeing a player in the top 10 that he feels will help the Sharks as early as this season and that's why they made the move. The source said Ward doesn't like the composition of the Sharks roster as it stands, said depth is an issue as is cap space. He likes the D but at a point you've got the best D man in the world, you've got one who's top 5/top 10, there's not really a need for a 3rd elite defenceman if you're lacking elsewhere.

Duthie: So Martin Ward is about to make the selection any guesses guys ?

Gord: Maybe Jack Quinn ?

Duthie: Here it is.

Martin Ward: Greetings to our fans watching on TV and who are at the draft here today, we want to thank you for your continued support. With the 9th overall selection, San Jose selects... (turns to AGM) what's his name again ? The.. Yaroslav Askarov.
Yaroslav_Askarov_Team_Russia-1-575x431.jpg

PierreM: Wow, this reminds me of Bobby Clarke forgetting Claude Giroux's name in 2006. This is a statement by the Sharks, it also puts Martin Jones on notice.

PierreL: Yea this actually isn't a surprise if you look at it. Martin Jones has been a one hit wonder and average since the cup run, they don't have any high end prospects in the system and they don't have any goalies that they think will play. Another thing, Ward talked about guys who win, all Askarov has done is win. He's a big game goalie and the best in the draft since Carey Price.

Darren: Yea, goalies take time, some teams had him higher while others had him lower.

Gord: Ottawa was going to select him at 10, the look on Pierre Dorion's face right now. An Ottawa source just texted me that they fully expected him to be available at 10, maybe even later. They were sure San Jose was taking Jack Quinn.

James: A bold statement by the Sharks who are up again at 27.

NJ 1. Alexis Lafreniere LW 89ovr High Franchise
OTT 2. Quinton Byfield C 77ovr Medium Franchise
DET 3. Tim Stuzle C 75ovr high lite
NYR 4. Alexander Holtz RW 79ovr med elite
ANA 5. Lucas Raymond RW 79ovr med elite
NJ 6. Cole Perfetti C 77ovr med elite
MIN 7. Marco Rossi C 73ovr med elite
COL 8. Jaimie Drysdale D 75ovr med elite
SJ 9. Yaroslav Askarov G 77ovr med franchise
OTT 10. Jack Quinn 73 med elite

SJ Picks:
9. Yaroslav Askarov G 77ovr med franchise