GM Game 1 Discussion thread

How to deal with cap situation?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

OB5

May 2, 2015
Mete + Kulak on the board for anyone looking for D options.

emptyNedder

Not seeking rents
Sponsor
Jan 17, 2018
Carolina:
  • acquired Merzlikins to upgrade G--along with Jenner who will be a key special teams addition
  • acquired Getzlaf for second center role and to give Necas, Suzuki, Drury, (maybe even Geekie) another season to develop into that role
  • acquired Bemstrom (led the SHL in goals as a 19-year-old) to upgrade goal-scoring and powerplay
  • Added two prospects that the organization sees as future contributors: Kole Lind, an excellent passing RW; Henry Thrun, an American-born D in the mold of Slavin and Pesce
VGK:
  • traded Pacioretty for Cam Atkinson (who should approach his 40-goal ceiling in the Knights offense); added a 2022 2nd as well
  • gave up Tuch to solidify the 2C position with Krejci; added Bjork who will be a contributor on the 3rd line AND a 2021 1st
  • bought out MAF

Both organizations upgraded their ability to compete in 2021, added pieces who will help moving forward, and improved their prospect pools.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
Carolina:
  • acquired Merzlikins to upgrade G--along with Jenner who will be a key special teams addition
  • acquired Getzlaf for second center role and to give Necas, Suzuki, Drury, (maybe even Geekie) another season to develop into that role
  • acquired Bemstrom (led the SHL in goals as a 19-year-old) to upgrade goal-scoring and powerplay
  • Added two prospects that the organization sees as future contributors: Kole Lind, an excellent passing RW; Henry Thrun, an American-born D in the mold of Slavin and Pesce
VGK:
  • traded Pacioretty for Cam Atkinson (who should approach his 40-goal ceiling in the Knights offense); added a 2022 2nd as well
  • gave up Tuch to solidify the 2C position with Krejci; added Bjork who will be a contributor on the 3rd line AND a 2021 1st
  • bought out MAF

Both organizations upgraded their ability to compete in 2021, added pieces who will help moving forward, and improved their prospect pools.
This reminds me that I need to do this for Nashville.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
:sharks
Timo Meier-Logan Couture-Joonas Donskoi
Evander Kane-Tomas Hertl-Kevin Labanc
Noah Gregor-Tyler Bozak-Ryan Donato
Matt Nieto-Frederik Handemark-Patrick Marleau
Joel Kellman, Stefan Noesen

Mario Ferraro-Erik Karlsson
Radim Simek-Brent Burns
Andy Greene-Sami Vatanen
Jacob Middleton

Martin Jones
Devan Dubnyk

We added a good top 6 winger, a 3C, and two good defensemen. Our top 6 has proven to be good together and have chemistry, while our bottom 6 is balanced and has potential to be really really good. Our top 4 D has chemistry and proven success together while our bottom pair has two top 4 D. We might not be the best team out there, but we have continuity which is a lot more than a lot of these teams can say.

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
:nucks

Kyle Palmieri (2.325m) - Bo Horvat (5.5m) - Patrick Kane(5.25m)
J.T Miller (5.25m) - Elias Pettersson (0.925m) - Nikita Gusev (2.25m)
Tanner Pearson (3.75m) - Ryan Dzingle (1.688m) Adam Gaudette (0.95m)
Tyler Motte (1.2m) - Travis Zajac (2.875m) - Brandon Sutter (4.375m)

Quinn Hughes (0.925k) - Nate Schmidt (5.95m)
Cam Fowler (6.3m) - Brandon Montour (1.925m)
Alex Edler (6m) - Tyler Myers (6m)

Andrei Vasilevski (9.5m)
Thatcher Demko (1.05m)

Buyout - 1.033m

Recapture 3.035

Total: 78.256

Massive improvements to the entire team this year. We upgraded Demko to Vasilevski and Holtby to Demko, We had a top 9 that rivals every team, and may even be better. Lots of solid Penalty killers there as well, and have an amazingly strong pp1 and pp2. You could argue our pp2 is another pp1. We improved our defence by adding Fowler and Montour giving us 3 legit top pairing defenders and 3 top 4 defenders to fill it out.

All in all this is a team that will compete heavily for the cup.

Blinny

This is the Sway
Jan 6, 2010
Dorchester
:bruins

Marchand-Bergeron-Pastrnak
Kase-Johansen-Tuch
Studnicka-Coyle-Thompson
Lindholm-Kuraly-Wagner

Brodin-McAvoy
Skjei-Carlo
Nutivaara-Lauzon

Korpisalo
Halak

We traded a lot of older players for younger long term replacements.

Added a HIGH END partner for McAvoy. That pairing should be damn near one of the best for the next decade.

Moved on from Krejci to a younger and signed long term (at a MUCH reduced rate) Ryan Johansen.

Moved on from an aging Tuukka Rask, whose future is full of doubt, and nabbed a younger goalkeeper who proved himself in a major way against the Stanley Cup champion Lightning this past play offs.

The Bruins defense overall was a mess. It is now, once again, a strength.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
:panthers
Frank Vatrano-PL Dubois-Patrick Hornqvist
Andrew Mangiapane-Anthony Cirelli-Owen Tippett
Karson Kuhlman-Derek Stepan-Brett Connolly
Carter Verhaeghe-Cody Eakin-Matt Calvert
Scott Wilson

Keith Yandle-Anton Stralman
Jusso Valimaki-Erik Cernak
Lawrence Pilut-Noah Juulsen
Riley Stillman

Sam Montembault
Chris Driedger

Honestly we suck. Vote us last!

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Trade deadline has passed. Send me your votes by division. Structure it this way:

Pacific:
San Jose
Anaheim
Arizona
Calgary
Edmonton
LA
Vancouver
Vegas

Metro:
Teams 1-8

m0pe

Feb 24, 2020
:sabres

Taylor Hall - Jack Eichel - Craig Smith
Jeff Skinner - Eric Staal - Sam Reinhart
Nick Cousins - Erik Haula - Dylan Cozens
Zemgus Girgensons - Noel Acciari - Ryan Hartman
X - Tobias Rieder

Rasmus Dahlin - Jared Spurgeon
MacKenzie Weegar - Rasmus Ristolainen
Jake McCabe - Henri Jokiharju
X - Matt Irwin

Antti Raanta
Linus Ullmark

Cap Hit: 80.928m
Cap Space: 0.572m

Please acknowledge that despite the logo, this team is very good.

Hutton -> Raanta
Montour -> Spurgeon
Miller -> Weegar

- Newly acquired Hall and Staal prior to game
- Overhauled offense with key role playing vets (Smith, Haula, Acciari, Cousins)
- Kept young developing core together (Eichel, Reinhart, Cozens, Dahlin, Jokiharju)
- Did not trade a single one of our top-10 prospects still despite this

Massive upgrades at a relatively low cost.

:jets

Kyle Connor - Mark Scheifele - Blake Wheeler
Nikolaj Ehlers - Paul Stastny - Viktor Arvidsson
Calle Jarnkrok - Andrew Copp - Jack Roslovic
Jansen Harkins - Adam Lowry - Kyle Okposo
X - Nate Thompson, Mason Appleton

Ryan Suter - Ryan Ellis
Josh Morrissey - Dylan DeMelo
Derek Forbort - Tucker Poolman
X - Nathan Beaulieu

Connor Hellebuyck
Laurent Broissoit

Cap Hit: 81.451m
Cap Space: 0.049m

- Downgraded Laine to Arvidsson but still kept an amazing top-6
- Improved bottom-6 with Jarnkrok, Okposo

But most importantly:
- Fixed the Jets horrible D by adding an entirely new top pair

With the Jets good offense, and Hellebuyck in net, adding 2 top pair D should make this team a contender.​

tinyzombies

Dec 24, 2002
Montreal, QC, Canada
CALGARY

In: Benn, Huberdeau, Chara, Gudas, Deangelo, Neal, Petersen.
Out: Gaudreau, Mangiapane, Andersson, Valimaki, Rittich, Kylington, Zary, Phillips, 2021 1st, 2022 2nd, 2021 3rd. Lucic buyout.

I figured Calgary was too small, had suspect team defense and needed to add 20 goals to get into the league leaders - I think I fixed all that but gave up futures in Valimaki and a first pick (which will be low now that I've improved the team further). With the previous addition of Markstrom, I think the "Flames" are a contender. I might have the best special teams in the league now. I also like the two-way bottom six and up the middle. I think this team can match up against anyone and bring heavy play come playoff time.

(1) Benn is a huge upgrade over Gaudreau in size, defense and leadership and is also an excellent shooter/playmaker. He had a shoulder injury and still put up 18 pts in the playoffs and helped his team get to the finals. He will likely bounce back as he's only 31 and there has been a lot of time off for his body to heal, plus there will be a short schedule. Tkachuk/Benn/Gio is a nightmare.
(2) Valimaki is a future top pairing guy perhaps so a big loss, but Huberdeau is a massive upgrade on Mangiapane and easily adds 20-25+ goals to the lineup hiding in the weeds, putting Calgary with the leaders.
(3) DeAngelo also adds 10-15 goals and will be a terror on the PP. He's terrible in his end, but good vs the rush. Chara's architecte-hockey numbers show he still has good hockey left in a depth role (esp with the short sked), which will balance DeAngelo.
(4) Andersson was a decent two-way presence on the second pairing. Gudas is a big upgrade defensively though and with Benn/Chara brings the nasty that Calgary needed, which should free up Hanifin and be a huge boost to the PK, which is already massively boosted by Chara/Tanev, which in turn saves Giordano for ES/PP.

upload_2020-12-9_12-5-24.png

Last edited:

EP to Kuzmenko

Dec 5, 2015
:nashville

Out:
Mattias Ekholm
Viktor Arvidsson
Ryan Ellis
Calle Jarnkrok
Filip Forsberg
WPG 2021 3rd
Ryan Johansen(2m ret)
Roman Josi (4.5m retain)
In:
Samuel Poulin
Pierre Olivier Joseph
Pits 2021 2nd
Marcus Petterson
Patrik Laine
Neal Pionk
Morgan Frost
Cam York
James Van Riemsdyk
Robby Fabbri
Dennis Cholowski
EDM 2021 2nd
Bowen Byram
Alex Newhook
Alex Beaucage
Tyson Jost
Col 2021 1st
SJS 2021 2nd

Lines:

Patrik Laine (6.75m) - Matt Duchene (8m) - Eeli Tolvanen (0.894)
James Van Riemsdyk (7m) - Luke Kunin (4m) - Robby Fabri (2.95m)
Rocco Grimaldi (2m) - Tyson Jost (0.874) - Colton Scissons (2.857m)
Lukas Craggs (0.925m) - Brad Richardson(1m) - Yakov Trenin(0.75m)

Dennis Cholowski (0.894m) - Neal Pionk (3m)
Marcus Pettersson (4.025m) - Dante Fabro(0.925m)
Mark Borowiecki (2m) - Matthew Benning (1m)

Pekka Rinne (5m)
Juuse Saros (1.5m)

Retained

Ryan Johansen (2m)
Roman Josi (4.5m)

Buy-out

Kyle Turris (2m)

Cap: 64.833

We added a slew of prospects and picks, as well as young NHLers like Laine and Pionk to get our rebuild going. We gave up some top end assets, but the return gives is a future that will keep us cup competitive for years to come. Many of the young assets are on the cusp of the NHL already(or already dominating) that it will not take long before we are a top team again.

Notable adds:

Patrik Laine, Neal Pionk, Bowen Byram, Alex Newhook, Morgan Frost, Cam York, Samual Poulin, Pierre Olivier Joseph, 3 2nd round picks and a 1st round pick.

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
:wings

Tyler Bertuzzi - Dylan Larkin - Anthony Mantha
Jake DeBrusk - Tyler Johnson - Filip Zadina
Vlad Namestnikov - Valterri Filppula - Bobby Ryan
Darren Helm - Trent Frederic - Luke Glendenning
Adam Erne

Danny Dekeyser - Filip Hronek
Patrik Nemeth - Troy Stecher
Marc-Eduoard Vlasic - Moritz Seider
Marc Staal/Jon Merrill

Thomas Greiss
Jonathan Bernier
My goal with Detroit was to add some veteran leadership to help insulate the youth and help to pull this team out of the basement and I feel I accomplished that with the additions of Tyler Johnson and ME Vlasic. A bonus for me was adding a 20+ goal scorer in DeBrusk that fits in with our core age group. I plan to add another big piece to our core either through drafting or possibly trading our 1st prior to the draft.

:devils

Jesper Bratt - Nico Hischier - Marcus Johansson
Andreas Johnsson - Jack Hughes - Jesper Boqvist
Miles Wood - Pavel Zacha - Janne Kuokkanen
Antoine Roussel - Michael McLeod - Nathan Bastian
Nick Merkley

Ryan Murray - Damon Severson
Ty Smith - Erik Johnson
Dmitry Kulikov - Connor Carrick
Colton White

Mackenzie Blackwood
Corey Crawford
The rebuild in New Jersey continues. Dealt impending UFA's in Kyle Palmieri, Nikita Gusev and Travis Zajac for a 1st round pick, defensive prospects in Jack Rathbone and Joni Jurmo and another intriguing prospect in Aidan Mcdonough. We expect to be active in UFA filling in some of our many holes to try to turn this team back into a perennial playoff contender.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
:stars

Johnny Gaudreau - Tyler Seguin - Ilya Kovalchuk
Denis Gurianov - Roope Hintz - J.T Compher
Jason Dickinson - Radek Faksa - Blake Comeau
Brendan Lemieux - Liam Foudy - Jason Robertson
Joel Kiviranta

Esa Lindell - John Klingberg
Miro Heiskanen - Jamie Oleksiak
Andrej Sekera - Mark Pysyk
Brendan Smith

Philipp Grubauer

Anton Khudobin

I didn't really have a clear direction with this team, but I brought in some younger players and I managed to trade Benn for Gaudreau +. Our prospect pool is much better, and our team isn't that much worse than before.

:pens

Jake Guentzel - Sidney Crosby - Mikael Granlund
Jason Zucker - Evgeni Malkin - Bryan Rust
Andreas Athanasiou - Jared McCann - Kasperi Kapanen
Brandon Tanev - Teddy Blueger - Zach Aston-Reese
Mark Jankowski, Sam Lafferty,

Brian Dumoulin - Kris Letang
Mattias Ekholm - John Marino
Juuso Riikola - Cody Ceci
Chad Ruhwedal

Tristan Jarry
Casey DeSmith

The Penguins are a much stronger than team than the Stars, vote us first in the division! The additions of Granlund, Kapanen, and Athanasiou make the offense much deeper up front. Full seasons from Zucker and a healthy Crosby + Malkin will help as well. Adding a top pairing defensemen in Ekholm creates an elite defensive group with a healthy Letang and Marino.

OB5

May 2, 2015
Are rosters in the thread even updated? How can we vote if the rosters are out of date? Vasilevskiy is still on TB in the roster thread.

Reactions: BeLeafing

Peter Griffin

Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
:wings

Probably way too early to discuss this but Detroit's 1st round pick could be available for either a top 4 LD or top 6 center in the 22-27 age range.

Reactions: Blinny

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad