Line Combos: GM/Coaching criticism

rocketman588

Jan 15, 2021
I dread to think we’re going to allow him to do the draft next week you know what we’re going to get potential potential potential no heart no heart no heart No trust factor with this man fire Dubis now

I have some pretty good news for you kind sir

because the GM sold out for key pieces such as David Rittich

We have 3 total picks and only one in the top 4 rounds

I look forward to some random 5 foot 6 Russian in the second round however

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Babs signed up with Larry and Larry authorized Shanny to act on his behalf to terminate. it is a board issue had nothing to do with GM

Regardless on who had to sign off on the decision, the GM should have been the one to look Babcock in the eye and inform him he was dismissed, particularly since he was pushing for it so strongly. Instead of having Shanahan do it for him.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Ok....the board had to make the decision.....the GM with autonomy should have executed it
Da GM is not a director and/or officer so unfortunately he had no autonomy to execute it .. but I get you it was a totally F**** U* way to manage a team from day 1 of Babs .. to me I would never have agreed to it if i was in Larry's shoes

Legendary

Sep 1, 2016
Shanahan will double down on Dubas to save his own reputation. Though at this point it’s more like triple down.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Regardless on who had to sign off on the decision, the GM should have been the one to look Babcock in the eye and inform him he was dismissed, particularly since he was pushing for it so strongly. Instead of having Shanahan do it for him.
Like I said if I sign a contract with you there are terms and conditions associated with that contract in Ontario law .. and then you fire me that is fine or someone who you designate to act on your behalf in writing .. it could have been done that way if Larry designated GM to do it assuming he was an officer of the company .. I don't think Leaf GMs are officers at least they weren't considering such on financial statements I last saw

DarkKnight

Professional Amateur
Jan 17, 2017
They are literally talking on the radio about the Leafs being the new San Jose Sharks, full of talent but just can’t get it done. I’m just glad we brought in both of their “leaders” to mentor our guys on winning the big game. Seriously. It’s just so comical that we bring in Jumbo because he’s so great in the room and he’s literally won Jack squat and his team were the highest playoff choking, epic collapse team of his era. I wonder if told the guys about the time they blew a 3-0 lead? Jumbo on the Leafs for leadership is the most Leafest thing ever.

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
They are literally talking on the radio about the Leafs being the new San Jose Sharks, full of talent but just can’t get it done. I’m just glad we brought in both of their “leaders” to mentor our guys on winning the big game. Seriously. It’s just so comical that we bring in Jumbo because he’s so great in the room and he’s literally won Jack squat and his team were the highest playoff choking, epic collapse team of his era. I wonder if told the guys about the time they blew a 3-0 lead? Jumbo on the Leafs for leadership is the most Leafest thing ever.

Oh Man I'd kill to be the Sharks at this point lool

Since 2005-2006 season (When Joe entered the Org, though they had success before that as well)

05/06 --> Lost in 6 in the second round
06/07 --> Lost in 6 in the second round
07/08 --> Lost in 6 in the second round
08/09 --> Lost in 6 in the first round (leaf-like year)
09/10 --> Lost in 4 in the third round
10/11 --> Lost in 5 in the third round
11/12 --> Lost in 5 in the first round (another leaf type season)
12/13 --> Lost in 7 in the second round
13/14 --> Lost in 7 in the first round (choked 3-0 lead, one upping the leafs)

During this 9-year peak competitive window, they had 2 conference final runs, 4 semi-final runs, and 3 first-round exits

The sharks also rebounded after 2015 after missing the playoffs (kind of like how we were hoping to in all but name as the Play-in really weren't the playoffs)

15/16 --> Lost in 6 in the Fourth round
16/17 --> Lost in 6 in the first round (make that one less then the leafs)
17/18 --> Lost in 6 in the second round
18/19 --> Lost in 6 in the third round

In a 14 year contention window post-lockout (Since Joe came there)

Sharks had only 4 1st round exists, and one missed playoffs. We have either 5 1st round exists or 4 1st round exits and 1 missed playoffs depending on how you look at the CBJ playins.

If we were the Sharks right now, I'd have hope. We'd have shown the ability to go deep and win. We could tinker and maybe change one aspect of the team. One of these three could be changed and we could win it all. Coaching (done that already), management (done that already with Lou to Dubas), the supporting Players (have had a lot of supporting roster turnover already with Gards, Jvr, Bozak, Kadri,Kap, AJ, Brown all gone).

Leafs are far far worse than Sharks. It's insulting to them, the blues (pre cup) the capitals (pre cup) to have these comparisons

When it comes to incompetence, failure, and the ability to choke in the playoffs there is only one king and that is us. We are the one and only TML

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
From Jeffler's article

"The irony of this all is that, as the mainstream media, NHL executives, and more old-school fans begin to talk about how Dubas messed this all up and didn’t get enough character, defensive skill, and grit, is he gave them exactly what they wanted. The team was full of grit, physicality, leadership and experience, including players that personally eliminated the team last year, and it didn’t help anything. Kyle Dubas got cute and tried to build the premium, no-bad-contract version of a Toronto Media all star team – experience, grit, intangibles, and their golden boy winger deciding who gets to touch the puck – and has nothing to show for it now but the same heat from the same people, and a crater in his draft cupboard."

A coach who has won with creativity his entire career falling into old tropes and a sense of almost too much patience, and a manager who, as great of a modern-day boss as he shows himself to be and as creative as he can get, deviated too hard from his own process and program to try to win like everyone else."
Organizations that try to please all their critics and match perfectly with all of their opponents end up with no identity and little time dictating the storyline of their battles. When everyone gets cute, the odds of success lessen, more is left to chance, and even the most guaranteed of outcomes become jeopardized, and then, when everyone is in too deep, demolished."

Pretty much what I was saying after the game. Dubas became way too focused on appeasing to the old school people, and the forward group ended up being a no identity mess. He tried to win the way those people said you win when they played in the 90's. The positive is we didn't spend long term contracts on these guys, so Dubas has a chance to make the team the way it should be made based on good players.
Toronto media all star team is so accurate.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
From Jeffler's article

"The irony of this all is that, as the mainstream media, NHL executives, and more old-school fans begin to talk about how Dubas messed this all up and didn’t get enough character, defensive skill, and grit, is he gave them exactly what they wanted. The team was full of grit, physicality, leadership and experience, including players that personally eliminated the team last year, and it didn’t help anything. Kyle Dubas got cute and tried to build the premium, no-bad-contract version of a Toronto Media all star team – experience, grit, intangibles, and their golden boy winger deciding who gets to touch the puck – and has nothing to show for it now but the same heat from the same people, and a crater in his draft cupboard."

A coach who has won with creativity his entire career falling into old tropes and a sense of almost too much patience, and a manager who, as great of a modern-day boss as he shows himself to be and as creative as he can get, deviated too hard from his own process and program to try to win like everyone else."
Organizations that try to please all their critics and match perfectly with all of their opponents end up with no identity and little time dictating the storyline of their battles. When everyone gets cute, the odds of success lessen, more is left to chance, and even the most guaranteed of outcomes become jeopardized, and then, when everyone is in too deep, demolished."

Pretty much what I was saying after the game. Dubas became way too focused on appeasing to the old school people, and the forward group ended up being a no identity mess. He tried to win the way those people said you win when they played in the 90's. The positive is we didn't spend long term contracts on these guys, so Dubas has a chance to make the team the way it should be made based on good players.
“Dictating the story line of their battles”.......what a load of tripe, fact is they haven’t won a battle in years, how innovative.........

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
A coach who has won with creativity his entire career falling into old tropes and a sense of almost too much patience,

Keefe couldn't find a creative solution to PP with the Rocket winner, a top 5 scorer, a HOF centre, and world championship MVP at his disposal for 35+games

He couldn't come up with a creative solution since he's been here to counter a collapsing team's defensive strategy.

Putting all your "best" forwards on one line isn't creative, it's what you do when you have no other ideas.

Won with creativity? There's 20 guys on here that have more creative ideas than Sheldon Keefe :biglaugh:

Last edited:

Stonehands1990

Apr 2, 2021
Keefe couldn't find a creative solution to PP with the Rocket winner, a top 5 scorer, a HOF centre, and world championship MVP at his disposal foe 35+games

He couldn't come up with a creative solution since he's been here to counter a collapsing team's defensive strategy.

Putting all your "best" forwards on one line isn't creative, it's what you do when you have no other ideas.

Won with creativity? There's 20 guys on here that have more creative ideas than Sheldon Keefe :biglaugh:
Couldn’t agree more. To add he never tried getting 34 or 16 away from Montreal’s matchups. Even when we had last change. Absolutely horrible coach

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Do you remember when Keefe was practicing using the visitor's dressing room and bench in the bubble vs Columbus to acclimate his team to the idea of being the 'road team' at home? Like what kind of special genius do you have to be to worry about completely irrelevant details yet fail to come up with any game plan for a borderline playoff team or consistently fail to inspire your team to start on time? That Amazon documentary could be pretty funny to watch.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Couldn’t agree more. To add he never tried getting 34 or 16 away from Montreal’s matchups. Even when we had last change. Absolutely horrible coach

Ducharme HAD TO tell him he was starting Danault for 4 games. What did Keefe do? "You're starting Auston, take Simmer with you"

I mean good lord, the Dubites complain that Babcock was rigid?

Tlo1

Nov 6, 2017
It’s a condensed schedule man. They had less rest than a normal season.

I said before the season that no forwards should be playing 20 minutes on a regular basis, because it’s too much and they’ll burn out. They played like 22... and they burnt out....
Hyman first game back from knee injury played 24+ minutes.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
From Jeffler's article

Hopefully we all learned that you need that character, defensive skill, and grit in the top part of your lineup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad