Line Combos: GM/Coaching criticism

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
My only criticism of Dubas was deferring away from the plan and going after 'grit'. The deadline especially, I was vocal about the Foligno acquisition and not getting Hall. We knew Montreal would try and play a coinflip game, and adding more elite skill (which you can never have too much of) was the move. I'm not against grit, but they should be able to be effective. In Game 2, Simmonds had a great response game and was being physical - Game 3-7? Nowhere.

Keefe.... there's definitely a lot.
- No balls to scratch Thornton
- Thornton on PP for way too long
- PP in general (+Malholtra)
- Keeping Marner and Matthews together
I'm sure there's much more.

your best forward entire series was Spezza and Nylander...... Engvall last night had more ice time than Spezza
Simmonds was 40 seconds behind Spezza in ice time

He had the hot hands, why didn't you play him more? especially on PP with Matthews?

Like I don't get it................

CapspaceKiller

Aug 10, 2020
I don't have much criticism for Keefe. I didn't want Marner on the top powerplay unit after the 2nd game, its clear he's a large part of the problem. Give him the 2nd unit, let him dance around by himself. Didn't understand just giving Riley Nash a spot in the lineup when nobody played themselves off. Nylander probably should have been on the top line for game 6 and 7 the whole time, given the lack of scoring. And I don't understand his usage of Joe Thornton at all. He didn't play Joe at all in Overtime, if you don't trust a player in overtime of a playoff game, then why play him at all?

Reactions: paulhiggins

killer1980

Sep 15, 2014
Kirkland Lake
This is what corporations (and politicians) do when they make a mistake, rather than rectify the problem, they dig in, defend and make excuses. Dubas and Shanahan will stay and the Leafs will drift deeper into the abyss.

Reactions: JT AM da real deal

Aus34Matt

Dec 10, 2017

Failing miserably so far but people will continue to buy his bs.

They may get rid of him when it's too late, he will find another organization to build his next "process" telling the fans we-can-and-we-will.

He truly is a boy genius.

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
When the team was doing well with these veterans and grit this season, there were people saying Shanahan took control and added needed elements. Now when it fell apart, people are after Dubas?
Just goes to show people will shift goal posts to blame Dubas.
It’s on both of them, they both are inexperienced and both deserve to go, or is it still the fans fault for “wanting grit?” :laugh::laugh::laugh:

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
This is what corporations (and politicians) do when they make a mistake, rather than rectify the problem, they dig in, defend and make excuses. Dubas and Shanahan will stay and the Leafs will drift deeper into the abyss.
From 2019

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
CJ said he expects Spezza to be back. There will be consideration to trade Marner. Questions on Keefe's performance in that he played too safe in the series. Would be surprised if Shanny or Dubas were fired.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017

They may get rid of him when it's too late, he will find another organization to build his next "process" telling the fans we-can-and-we-will.

Nah he's doing a good job. He did exactly what the fans wanted. Boy genius makes you sound insecure and makes you lose the argument, so thanks.
Hopefully he continues his great work.

Bomber0104

Apr 8, 2007
Burlington
Nah he's doing a good job. He did exactly what the fans wanted. Boy genius makes you sound insecure and makes you lose the argument, so thanks.

tenor.gif

Faltorvo

Feb 18, 2008
You don’t get to tell everyone they are wrong when the say it’s a bad idea to spend half the cap on 4 forwards.

You don’t get to bet your job on a core that can’t win in the 1st round 5 times in a row.

Have the NHL create arguably the easiest division since the Norris, with a 56 game season, no US teams, no travel outside of Canada.

Play a team that is ranked 18th overall in the NHL first round, be up 3-1 and still lose.

Make franchise money to not score goals.

You don’t get to do all that and keep your job as GM.
DAMN STRAIGHT,,dumbass must go and take keefe with em

Reactions: rumman

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018

He is done here though .. it is either him gone OR him and Shanny gone .. not sure how it will go yet

Reactions: Aus34Matt

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
Man I'd take Rutherford coming here and winning 2 cups in the next 3 years somehow then proceeding to throw away the next 5 years after that. He'll I'd do it for 1 cup in the next 3 years

He's a guy despite his old age I'dseriousky consider hiring if we fire Dubas.

Rutherford is a better team builder than Dubas and has built 3 cup winners. He's the guy I'd hope we get and he has the ability to make a big trade like Marner

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere

Some people don't seem to realize GM's are responsible for the teams they ice.
Sure you can say Matthews and Marner underperformed and the depth pieces in Thornton, Simmonds, and Foligno didn't work out and that's on them. But the GM takes some blame as well for acquiring them to begin with.

It's a results oriented business and Dubas is not getting results right now, at least none that ultimately matter.

Aus34Matt

Dec 10, 2017
Dubas ego and awful negotiating ability paying 11M short-term contracts or players who hasn't achieved any NHL success is what you call great work? okayyyy

Reactions: egd27 and rumman

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad