GM Chuck Fletcher (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kelmitchell

Jun 11, 2013
Newark Delaware
yeah but you dont want hughes now? i dont want to hear in future, we could have won the stanley cup with hughes if we can never win one because you want to win meaningless games that screwed us out of lottery again.

im going to say, you wanted to win games, this is what you get.
Just like instead of morin, had we kept losing we would of had seth jones.....still saddens me

Reactions: tucson83

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
The drafting under Hextall was average at best. They just accumulated a glut of prospects for fans to overhype. Now they're settling in to how reasonable minds would project them (for the most part).

I guess all those national hockey writers who ranked the prospect pool #1 or close to it are secret Flyer fans.

"average"

SKATERS
1. Frost, Morgan - 84%
2. Myers, Phil - 79%
3. Farabee, Joel - 85%
4. O'Brien, Jay - 42%
5. Allison, Wade - 42%
6. Ratcliffe, Isaac - 59%
7. Morin, Sam - 39%
8. Rubtsov, German - 47%
9. Vorobyev, Mikhail - 84%
10. Laczynski, Tanner - 49%

11. Aube-Kubel, Nicolas - 66%
12. Kase, David - 26%
13. Linus Hogberg - 32%
14. Friedman, Mark - 22%
15. Strome, Matthew - 29%
16. Lycksell, Olle - 34%
17. Ginning, Adam - 25%
18. Cates, Noah - 47%
19. Sushko, Maxim - 43%
20. Kalynuk, Wyatt - 54%

21. Bunnaman, Connor - 27%
22. Laberge, Pascal - 33%
23. Bernhardt, David - 45%
24. Twarynski, Carson - 38%
25. St. Ivany, Jack - 57%
26. Wylie, Wyatte - 33%
27. Westfalt, Marcus - 56%
28. Martel, Danick - 73%
29. Hain, Gavin - 50%
30. Vasiliev, Valeri - 49%
(Not selected: Fazleev, Goulbourne, Warren, Willcox)

GOALIES
1. Hart, Carter - 98%
2. Sandstrom, Felix - 92%
3. Ustimenko, Kirill - 60%
4. Stolarz, Anthony - 78%
5. Ersson, Samuel - 69%
6. Fedotov, Ivan - 81%
7. Tomek, Matej

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The competitive side of me just has a hard time "rooting" for loses. Of course I want Hughes. And yes I know more loses helps that. But even finishing dead last....you have a 81.5% chance of NOT getting him.

Make your own "luck". Draft well. Develop well. Play well.

And yeah...regardless what I or anyone else wants, we have no influence.

YEM

Mar 7, 2010
I guess all those national hockey writers who ranked the prospect pool #1 or close to it are just secret Flyer fans.
or they were just off in their projections, as ranking prospects is a bit of a fool's errand to being with

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Jacob Trouba would look really good playing with Provorov.
Pesce would as well and he is likely someone you could get cheaper and is signed for 5 more years at $4.025 million per. We could then trade Gudas if we want and then next year run with.

Provy Pesce
Sanheim Myers
Morin Ghost
Hagg Friedman

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Pesce would as well and he is likely someone you could get cheaper and is signed for 5 more years at $4.025 million per. We could then trade Gudas if we want and then next year run with.

Provy Pesce
Sanheim Myers
Morin Ghost
Hagg Friedman
If the first round pick isn't top 2 I would move it for Trouba in a heartbeat. Getting him would be a game changer for the team.

Reactions: hatcher

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
The competitive side of me just has a hard time "rooting" for loses. Of course I want Hughes. And yes I know more loses helps that. But even finishing dead last....you have a 81.5% chance of NOT getting him.

Make your own "luck". Draft well. Develop well. Play well.

And yeah...regardless what I or anyone else wants, we have no influence.
It’s very difficult for me to root for them to lose when I’m watching. Near the end of a bad season, though, when they’ve long been mathematically eliminated, & suddenly vets who didn’t show up when the team needed it step up & pad their stats against competition that is riding out the regular season—that pisses me off.

Reactions: Tripod and tucson83

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Good prospects and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. The thing about even really good prospects is that a lot of them don't work out and even the ones that do take time. One of Hextall's big mistakes was expecting too many of them to work out and not looking to build the roster around them in the mean time.

Reactions: Tripod and hatcher

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
If the first round pick isn't top 2 I would move it for Trouba in a heartbeat. Getting him would be a game changer for the team.
Disagree with you there. I think Trouba is good, but I don’t think he’s *that* good.

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
It’s very difficult for me to root for them to lose when I’m watching. Near the end of a bad season, though, when they’ve long been mathematically eliminated, & suddenly vets who didn’t show up when the team needed it step up & pad their stats against competition that is riding out the regular season—that pisses me off.

same here, this is why philly will never win a cup, because they are chicken #### of tanking for a superstar player, philly will never win a cup ever.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
I was opposed to promoting Hart so early, but so far it looks like a really good move.
I thought he would play the year in the AHl, then next year would be the one where he starts getting the NHL games/callups. But man, he has impressed.

Out of 8 games, only 1 could you say he played bad....the game he got pulled. The only other poor game statistically he played well but had little chance on the goals.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
I thought he would play the year in the AHl, then next year would be the one where he starts getting the NHL games/callups. But man, he has impressed.

Out of 8 games, only 1 could you say he played bad....the game he got pulled. The only other poor game statistically he played well but had little chance on the goals.

A 20 year old starting goalie with a .920 SV%... just another average draft pick from Hextall.

Ghosts Beer

Feb 10, 2014
The promising thing is that Hart seems to be getting better. He looks more comfortable, is making cleaner saves & reducing rebounds, & seems to have adjusted to the speed of the game. Certainly his post-to-post movement & lower net coverage have always been there.

Obviously, at 20, he’ll have some bumps in the road. But you can’t ask for more than what he’s shown so far.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
At this point, I think Gudas is the veteran D-man you keep around as long as the extension is reasonable money, he brings a nice physical edge (now that he's learned how to play under the new rules), is competent and has a great shot from the point - and is a RHD. He's a good fit with Ghost or Sanheim - and the fact that he puts up great metrics with almost anyone as his partner says he's doing it and not riding someone else's coattails, even if it looks butt ugly at times.

As much as I respect how Raffl plays the game, this team has too many bottom six types and not enough skilled forwards who can skate, pass, receive a pass and shoot. Moving out Raffl and Simmonds will help the flow.

Good prospects and a dollar will get you a cup of coffee. The thing about even really good prospects is that a lot of them don't work out and even the ones that do take time. One of Hextall's big mistakes was expecting too many of them to work out and not looking to build the roster around them in the mean time.

Hextall's mistake was not selling Scott, Holmgren and the fans on a complete rebuild, which is going to happen under Fletcher, because by imploding this season, like in Winnipeg, he has bought time to make the moves to revamp the roster. It'll still take the 7 years it would have taken if Hextall had started in 2014 (Holmgren really should have started after the 2012-13 season), but expectations would have been totally different.

Now Fletcher can finish what Hextall started, in two years all those prospects who are struggling now or still in college/juniors will be in the lineup.
It takes time for most defensemen to mature, in 2020-21: Provorov (23), Sanheim (24), Myers (23), Ghost (27), Morin (25), Friedman (25), Hagg (25) with Wylie, Zamula and Hogberg in the AHL for depth. If Gudas is still around, he'll only be 30. That will be a talented, experienced group.
Same at forward, this year's pick will be 19-20, Patrick (22), TK (23), Lindblom (24), Frost (21), Farabee (20) to go with Giroux (33), Couts (28).

That's a pretty solid group, add 1 or 2 trades/FAs (Panarin, Stone, etc) and you can roll out a solid top nine before you get to guys like NAK, Rubtsov, O'Brien, Ratcliffe, Allison, Laczynski, etc. So you're not depending on hitting on the majority of your second tier prospects to fill out your roster. You have the luxury of filling out the bottom six with talented players, and promoting/trading them after a couple years as their value increases.

All Fletcher has to do is avoid the temptation for quick fixes, adding 30 year old veterans (we have too many who haven't made this team a winner, Voracek, Simmonds, Raffl, JVR, Weise) - instead, move out your veterans and focus on adding 23-27 year old established NHL players who can contribute for an extended period.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
They want the moon for him on the Trade Board which is understandable. But if he is available, it would be another target for that Top 4 RHD we need.

He's a total zero in the offensive zone but is very good in the defensive zone and neutral zone. You would think he was a complete two-way defensemen that can do it all though based off of how they value him.

Reactions: Chinatown88
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad