GM Chuck Fletcher (Part 2)

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
Agreed. But I would also look to replace the AHL coaching staff after their season as well. We need a coach and system in the AHl that is the same as the Flyers new system. It only makes sense as it will make call-ups easier for the players as well as easier to evaluate players.
All new coaches.

Reactions: wufuhimself

wuf

Sponsor
Aug 16, 2012
Philadelphia, PA
Can't we do a regular buyout for Amac over the summer? I'd rather not give up assets for a cap dump, let's be honest, nobody will take this clown off our hands. I'd be fine with 2 more years at half his cap hit, who gives a shit? It's not like we need 2.5m in space.

Reactions: Tripod

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
Can't we do a regular buyout for Amac over the summer? I'd rather not give up assets for a cap dump, let's be honest, nobody will take this clown off our hands. I'd be fine with 2 more years at half his cap hit, who gives a ****? It's not like we need 2.5m in space.
What's the point? Flyers will have like $20M in cap space next season or something absurd like that.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
Ghost is my favorite player. He hasn't been good this year. I think he's a clear example of a guy who's been worse than his standard possession metrics, although he's had a lot of bad luck.

I'm concerned. I'm concerned he'll never be good Ghost again. Also I'm concerned he might get traded.

Someone tell me it'll be alright.

OK, easy. I'm not concerned at all and here's why:

To start, when an entire team (except for literally like 3 or 4 players) is seriously underachieving, it's a safe guess to say that the problem isn't with the individuals and that when the situation improves, so will their play. Judging anyone on this team based only on this season would be horribly foolish.

And let's look at the context for his points:

First off, the PP is f***ed and that's been a large part of his production in his career. In his previous 2 years, he's 2nd in defensemen PP points. With 4 less points and 28 less games played than Burns, who's #1.

Then at 5v5, in addition to the team overall severely underachieving, last year he played with Provorov and the top line for most of the year... and now this year he's played with Folin, Hagg, and MacDonald for most of the time. You better believe that will hurt his production because 1) they're black holes, and 2) they make it much harder to play defense and move the puck.

Look at the usage...
With Provorov - 206 minutes (about 30% of the time)
With Hagg, Folin, Gudas, and MacDonald - 450+ minutes (about 70% of the time)

Reactions: baudib1

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
I would like to see Fletcher do the following between now and the end of the season:

-Not only trade Simmonds but get a good return for him
I'm looking for a 1st round pick and B level prospect or A level prospect and 2nd or 3rd

-Dump Weise
Looks like he is currently trying to. Take bad a worse contract that expires as opposed to the one year left Weise has and do some sort of late round pick swap (5th for 7th).

-Trade Raffl
In all seriousness, Raffl is the kind of guy they might be able to get a 3rd or 4th for from a contender looking to bolster their forward depth. Raffl is fine but I would rather go young with his spot next year.

-Give some kids a look down the stretch
Myers, NAK, and possibly Morin and Bailey. I think it would be helpful for the organization to see what these kids can do over a 10-15 game stretch and potentially good for their development as well.

-Send Gordon back to the AHL
As soon as the season ends tell Gordon thanks and send him back to coach the Phantoms. Get started immediately on a coaching search/courtship because bringing in the right coach is going to be huge.

IF Elliott can get back healthy and stay healthy perhaps they would be able to get a late round pick for him as well. Unlikely so I'm not putting it on my list of things that should be done but I suppose it's possible.

At that point Fletcher can head into the offseason with a new coach being priority number 1, and also put a plan together where he will have a lot of cap space and assets to reshape the roster through trades and free agency.

in the offseason i would rather just can all vets and let the younger players play next season and sign a goalie, sign q, i think this team might play better.

Striiker

Former Flyers Fan
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
No can do. If Gudas would sign an extension for a reasonable rate, I'd rather move Ghost than Gudas. Veteran standing counts. Its what the Flyers say that the need on the back end on defense. Not dogging him but Ghost may well be the sort of trade bait that could gain the Flyers some of what they need.
A Ghost for Kapanen or Nylander deal is a real thinker. Knowing that the Leafs have a lot of cap problems coming their way and issues on defense, such a deal could make sense for both teams. According to past reports, there was some chatter of a Ghost for Nylander trade while Nylander was holding out but Hextall wouldn't do it.
Horrible.

Feel shame.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
The point is to prevent him playing for the Flyers. That's why I wanted Hextall to buyout Lehtera.
If Fletcher doesn't want MacDonald on the team, he can send him to the Phantoms. Same with Lehtera. Not sure who you think the actor is in this scenario.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
in the offseason i would rather just can all vets and let the younger players play next season and sign a goalie, sign q, i think this team might play better.
Better coach or not they have a lot of needs if they are going to be a legit playoff team, and they will have the assets and cap space to be active and fill some of them.

-Vet goalie to play in tandem with Hart (Howard, Talbot, trade)
-Top four D to play big minutes and take pressure off young D
-AT LEAST one if not two top 9 forwards
-Improved fourth line (Laughton and NAK are a start)

Overall they need more size, speed, and high end role players. There is a lot of work to be done in the offseason.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
You're incorrectly assuming the actor won't change again at some point in the future. If Hextall had bought out Lehtera in June, Fletcher wouldn't have been able to force him into the Flyers lineup in January.

We're also talking about what we would like to see happen, not what will actually happen.

tictactoe

Jan 15, 2017
I would be interested in Stone and Ferland and maybe 4th line player depending on our AHL development .. I like panarin but he is looking to get 10m a year if not more...
Also, not sure about our D going next year who is ready or not.
For sure want coaching changes.

hatcher

Sep 30, 2007
Kelowna BC
I would be interested in Stone and Ferland and maybe 4th line player depending on our AHL development .. I like panarin but he is looking to get 10m a year if not more...
Those will be the type coming in so lets hope.

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
If they plan to play Giroux at LW moving forward they are going to need a center. Counting on Patrick and Frost to be the 2nd and 3rd line center on a playoff team is the same type of mistake they have made in recent years. If they want to make Giroux a center again long term than they will need a big time wing.

Reactions: hatcher
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->