MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
5ERJA5KNUFBQXN26XWW3M2HV2M.jpg

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
@Outlaw Samurai

I don’t think the team is being scuttled by a few players, as you put it. At least not in the sense I think you & many fans mean.

The problem with this team isn’t the depth players, who get scapegoated.

The biggest problems are they’ve gotten zero production from the very important 2C position, & their top-2 minute defenders have been turnover machines not supplying either the offense or the steady play you need from your top 2 minute defenders. Those D men are big parts of their failing PP, also.

Usually when a team struggles *this* much, it’s largely because players in key roles aren’t playing well enough, not because of the filler.

I’ll agree with you that goaltending has scuttled them on an almost nightly basis, however. (But again, that’s a key role letting them down.)

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I'm at the point where i'm expecting little during the season/at the trade deadline. At most, i think Simmonds will be gone. The real changes will come in the offseason. This will be a drastically different team in 2019-20.

It has to be, or they shouldn't even show up to camp.

Reactions: Flyerfan4life

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
Goaltending is the biggest issue. Not really sure if it can be sufficiently addressed in the off-season since I lack confidence in the options available. Hart or another young goalie in system need to step up.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Goaltending is the biggest issue. Not really sure if it can be sufficiently addressed in the off-season since I lack confidence in the options available. Hart or another young goalie in system need to step up.

I'm starting to think they should stick with Hart and just find an adequate back-up that is not injury prone, of which there are plenty of options:

Browse - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Then just revamp the forwards and defensemen in front of him and hire a competent coaching staff.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
It will be a challenge for Fletch. Do they acquire or sign a short term deal for someone to mentor Hart? Do they just roll with a healthy (?) Stolarz and Hart? Do they go after Bobrovsky for a big, long contract? Much pondering about goalies is occurring, methinks.

Reactions: macleish1974

renberg

Dec 31, 2003
Lewes Delaware
forums.hfboards.com
I believe that deal for Quick is out there for the making. Quick is expensive for the Kings liking and he has had his fair share of injuries in recent seasons. They have Campbell who has played well in Quick's absences so they probably are comfortable with him in goal instead of Quick. Dillabaugh, the Flyers goalie coach has worked with Quick when he was in LA as the asst goalie coach. IDK if the Flyers would do the deal because of what the Kings would want in return.

Reactions: Don Nachbaur 26

Lindberg

Bennyflyers16 get a life
Oct 5, 2013
People are already clamoring for Fletcher to do something? If he trades Simmonds I'll be happy. He can then use a collection of picks, prospects, and players to make a trade in the off season. I think at this point trading Simmonds and acquiring another player like Trouba (or etc.) is what this team needs going forward. A significant change needs to happen.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
People are already clamoring for Fletcher to do something? If he trades Simmonds I'll be happy. He can then use a collection of picks, prospects, and players to make a trade in the off season. I think at this point trading Simmonds and acquiring another player like Trouba (or etc.) is what this team needs going forward. A significant change needs to happen.

I’d be content if he does nothing but sell until the offseason.

Go after a top pairing defenseman, top line forward, and a goalie during the offseason.

There’s a ton of cap space and not enough room for half of the prospects in the system, expectations should be high.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pantokrator

Outlaw Samurai

FROST WARNING in effect
Jun 24, 2018
Ottawa
@Outlaw Samurai

I don’t think the team is being scuttled by a few players, as you put it. At least not in the sense I think you & many fans mean.

The problem with this team isn’t the depth players, who get scapegoated.

The biggest problems are they’ve gotten zero production from the very important 2C position, & their top-2 minute defenders have been turnover machines not supplying either the offense or the steady play you need from your top 2 minute defenders. Those D men are big parts of their failing PP, also.

Usually when a team struggles *this* much, it’s largely because players in key roles aren’t playing well enough, not because of the filler.

I’ll agree with you that goaltending has scuttled them on an almost nightly basis, however. (But again, that’s a key role letting them down.)

Simmonds has single handedly lost a few games. He is the only forward I "blame".

G, Coots, TK, Raffl, Lindblom, JVR, Laughton, etc. Are fine to very, very good.

Patrick has struggled with injuries and hasn't taken a step forward. I'm not worried at all long term.

Weise is even ok as a 4th line winger. He does however, stink on the PK.

Without looking closely at numbers, I bet V is about his usual self, putting up points but being inconsistent. Without PP points, he's got less total of course.

Both Provy and Ghost have had slumps. Sanheim has exceeded expectations.

Hagg is mostly a plug but ok with his limited skill set. PK and 3rd pair is reasonable for him. Gudas is fine.

AMac sucks so, so bad.

Goal tending outside of Hart is awful.

PP is awful. PK is "ok" lately. Why don't the players move on either though? They're like f***ing statues out there at special teams.

Coaching is "ok" from Gordon and brutal at special teams.

This team is also shell shocked from the lifeless Hak era.

This team also has no confidence.

A lot of the players are also playing like they expect to be traded any minute.

Future is great, I think, but painful right now.

Last edited:

Fight4yourRight

“Chuck’s my guy”
Dec 18, 2017
Simmonds has single handedly lost a few games. He is the only forward I "blame".

G, Coots, TK, Raffl, Lindblom, JVR, Laughton, etc. Are fine to very, very good.

Patrick has struggled with injuries and hasn't taken a step forward. I'm not worried at all long term.

Weiss is even ok as a 4th line winger. He does however, stink on the PK.

Without looking closely at numbers, I bet V is about his usual self, putting up points but being inconsistent. Without PP points, he's got less total of course.

Both Provy and Ghost have had slumps. Sanheim has exceeded expectations.

Hagg is mostly a plug but ok with his limited skill set. PK and 3rd pair is reasonable for him. Gudas is fine.

AMac sucks so, so bad.

Goal tending outside of Hart is awful.

PP is awful. PK is "ok" lately. Why don't the players move on either though? They're like ****ing statues out there at special teams.

Coaching is "ok" from Gordon and brutal at special teams.

This team is also shell shocked from the lifeless Hak era.

This team also has no confidence.

A lot of the players are also playing like they expect to be traded any minute.

Future is great, I think, but painful right now.

The "not doing anything bad, but not really contributing either" category.

Curufinwe

Feb 28, 2013
Hextall would at least have promoted Myers when MacDonald got injured. Fletcher hasn't even done that.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Hockey Central just a minute ago talking about AHL callups.

"the key there is, that you must call up the right player from the AHL because you must do it as an example to the guys there, that this guy earned it"

"when he would get called up ahead of some other people, which happened in the short term because in the end he was not good enough, that was wrong. That's really damaging that you send that message to people."

-Gork Stellik

He was talking about his Leaf days, but we did the same thing when we recalled Goule multiple times and it was dismissed by some on here.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
I’m interested to see how the goalie market shakes out. I can’t see many teams willing to commit long term to Bobrovsky, he could be a target if he’s willing to take a short term deal for a lot of money. There could still be better options if that were the case though if money is spent on F/D.

Unless Hart tears it up during the 2nd half, I don’t think he’ll be the #1 guy to start next season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad