GDT: Gm 8: Boston Bruins @ Buffalo Sabres - 10/23/13 - 8P ET - NBCSN, TSN2, RDS2, 98.5 FM

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranold26

Tuukka likes the post...
May 28, 2003
BXUI5lXCMAA6Pkf.jpg

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
I've had some time to sleep on that hit, and I still think it was a disgrace...I'm surprised that some people (not on this board) are actually trying to minimize just how dirty that hit was.

But I digress...

As for the actual game, I continue to be impressed with Reilly Smith, and I am happy to see that the Bergeron line continues to build chemistry (hopefully Loui is able to be part of that line going forward). Smith is real good with the puck down low and close in to the net, as far as finding teammates goes. I like that he can make plays in congested areas, and keep his head enough not to panic and actually find the open man. I think his hockey sense is on display in those situations, as he seems to have a great grasp on where everyone else is/should be on the ice, and I think he reads the play well, anticipating the spots that guys are going to. I'm really happy with how he is progressing so far.

The other thing that stood out to me is an obvious one, but once again, it's nice to see a couple of dynamic, young defenseman playing with confidence and giving the B's offense a boost by jumping up in the play and taking advantage of their opportunities. The Dougie goal was really a thing of beauty. That's not a play he necessarily would have had the confidence to make last year. Though I think he found places to jump into the play last year, I think he was often hesitant and wasn't sure where/when he should look for his offense. That goal last night was a perfect example of a guy who is figuring out when to jump into the play and look for his own offense...great finish too.

It was nice to the get the two points last night, and the team did some nice things, but I hope it wasn't at the expense of one of our players.

CombatOnContact

Feb 28, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
The Scott hit sucked big time. I know the coaching staff probably wanted to keep their heads on straight since there's a big game tonight against one of the best teams in the league, but I would have loved to see more of a response. That's just the fan in me though. What they did was actually the right thing.

The Bruins looked fantastic last night. Seriously 4 lines deep. Smith is making that 1b line more of an offensive threat than Seguin did! And I love what Soderberg brings to the 3rd line. So far, he's a second assist KING. A lot of subtle plays that lead to good things... could have had a pp goal last night too..

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Just something else I was wondering if anyone caught last night or not...

On the shift with the Scott hit on Eriksson, how did that line match-up materialize?

Did Claude put out the Bergeron line, and then Rolston putt out Scott afterwards? Or was the Scott line out and Claude put the Bergy line to match? Or were they both out there together to start?

I can't imagine Claude would willingly put that line on the ice when Scott was out there, but I can't remember how that played out.

Claude was rightfully steamed, and I wonder if part of it was Rolston sending out Scott against that line, probably to do exactly what he did (maybe not injure someone, but to send a message against a skill line).

Anyway, if someone remembers how that sequence played out, I'd be interested to know...I think it might add another layer to the incident.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011

On the shift with the Scott hit on Eriksson, how did that line match-up materialize?

Did Claude put out the Bergeron line, and then Rolston putt out Scott afterwards? Or was the Scott line out and Claude put the Bergy line to match? Or were they both out there together to start?

I can't imagine Claude would willingly put that line on the ice when Scott was out there, but I can't remember how that played out.

Claude was rightfully steamed, and I wonder if part of it was Rolston sending out Scott against that line, probably to do exactly what he did (maybe not injure someone, but to send a message against a skill line).

Anyway, if someone remembers how that sequence played out, I'd be interested to know...I think it might add another layer to the incident.

I was wondering the same thing and for the life of me I can't remember how it happened.

But I think Julien would send his fourth line out or perhaps Kelly line out against the Sabres fourth-I don't see him putting Bergy out there with Scott.

I do think Shanahan will come down harder if it looks like Scott was matched against that line with the intent to start something. The cynic in me thinks Scott intended a cheap shot but perhaps not the injury in the hopes of provoking a fight.

Quaider was on the ice and was on Scott as quick as he could skate to him. Glad Quaider tried to d something.

TumblingMuffin

Mar 1, 2007
Traverse City, MI

Just checked a replay of the game I have, and it looks like Claude put the fourth line out right after Krug's goal. Buffalo matched with what looks like Larsson, Girgensons, and Flynn.

After a bit of back and forth, the fourth line changes on the fly for Bergeron's line and Buffalo sent out the Scott line right at the same time. I'm not sure if they were trying to match the Bruins' fourth line and mistimed it, or if they actually wanted Scott on the ice at the same time as the second line.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
Notes regarding game (besides hit)

- Really like Smith was all over the ice

- I dig the Marchy/Kelly/Soderberg line... think it's a great mix of speed/determination/skill and defense... maybe best 3rd line in NHL

- Marchy is starting to find his game... prolly not as fast as we would like but I feel he isn't messing up the dumb/easy plays like earlier in year

- Lost in all the Loui/Scott is Loui had a very good game looked dangerous and was starting to get there

- Dougie just keeps getting better and better... jumping into the rush to pot that goal was a beauty, love this kid... He will hit 40 points this year (maybe more) if he gets at least 75 games (and he should)

- Didn't notice Merlot too much last night.. not a bad thing, just usually they have a few good hustle shifts and nothing stuck out to me at least.

- Really wished Iggy would have potted 1... think he does tonight.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
John Scott charging match penalty on Loui Eriksson

1. Digusting intentional hit by John Scott on Loui Eriksson. He meant to hurt Loui and he did.

2. That POS Scott needs to be suspended 20 games or more. Won't happen but that's what I think.

3. Love Adam McQuaid's response- he came flying down the ice to take Scott on. I'll never criticize a Bruin for doing that even if he ends up in the box for a long time or even gets tossed- sometimes you just have to let your opponent know that you will stand up for your teammates no matter the cost.

4. Claude was absolutely furious w/Rolston- for a minute there I thought Claude might go Patrick Roy on the guy.

5. Too bad Chara didn't get his hands on Scott. You know Scott would turtle he is such a gutless puke but Chara would get a few shots in anyway. And you know they would hurt.

bolt thrower

No war!
Aug 26, 2006
Really impressed by Hamilton. He's quiet but doing a great job, bound to become a heck of a player.

Hope it won't be something serious for Eriksson. Give him all the time he needs to recover, no need to rush him.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
Dougie seems to be gaining tons of confidence. I think he is proving he should be in the line up. His goal was sweet but he did a lot of other things right.

Of course buffalo is so bad that you expect your team to looks better-I don't think the Buffalo GM or coach will survive the season.

11MilesPerJohan

@BeingAHumanBean
Nov 8, 2011
McLean Hospital
Just checked a replay of the game I have, and it looks like Claude put the fourth line out right after Krug's goal. Buffalo matched with what looks like Larsson, Girgensons, and Flynn.

After a bit of back and forth, the fourth line changes on the fly for Bergeron's line and Buffalo sent out the Scott line right at the same time. I'm not sure if they were trying to match the Bruins' fourth line and mistimed it, or if they actually wanted Scott on the ice at the same time as the second line.

Thanks, that's interesting.

So Claude put out the fourth line after the Krug goal (after a stoppage of play), which means that Buffalo, having the last change, easily could have matched up that line with their fourth line. It seems Claude, as he often does, put out the fourth line in order to keep up momentum and energy after a goal. So you have to wonder if Rolston matched the Girgenson's line with the intent of trying to take advantage of Boston's 4th line, or if he purposely held back the Scott line with the intent of matching them against one of Boston's scoring lines directly after. In that case, the Scott line would be clearly mismatched in terms of skill. So what then was his reason for the match up in terms of strategy? It certainly makes one wonder.

Bridges31

Sweep the leg!
Oct 7, 2007
NH
Don't know if anybody else posted this but Ryan Miller's actress wife tweeted this right after Lucic got hit with the puck:

Noureen DeWulf ‏@noureendewulf

She's one classy lady. :laugh:

That and that "fans" in buffalo cheering after he got hit makes me hope Miller gets run over by Lucic again.

GloryDaze4877

Barely Irrelevant
Jun 27, 2006
The Sticks (West MA)

I could see the BUF reasoning if BOS had a prototypical 4th line, but they don't. Merlot is better than a lot of third lines and Close uses them in a bunch if situations. If I were Rolston, I would not have skated the 4th line period. Every time they were out there against Merlot, the B's dominated.

Buckets and Gloves

klaatu barada nikto
Aug 14, 2011
That and that "fans" in buffalo cheering after he got hit makes me hope Miller gets run over by Lucic again.

In fairness to the fans (was at the game myself) it happened so fast I didn't even see it as a dirty play (never saw replay till I got home)...looked little late in person.

Got home and saw replay and just shook my head.

Bi Coastal Bawse*

I wonder who wears the pants in that relationship cryin ryan or his wife

Qubax

Oct 25, 2002
Visit site
As a Flames fan as long as I can remember 1990 and a season ticket holder since 2001 I can tell you that Iginla will have one of his normal years....30-35 goals, 40 assists, 70-80 points.

I know he's had a slow start, but he ALWAYS has a slow start. You can start to see him imposing his will out there.

It won't be long that the goals will come in bunches.

Plus he'll probably score 20-25 goals in the last 41 games so he really only needs 5-10 in the first half to be a 30 goal man.

He's a perfect Bruin and he and Lucic (& Krejci) are going to make some beautiful plays this year.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
In fairness to the fans (was at the game myself) it happened so fast I didn't even see it as a dirty play (never saw replay till I got home)...looked little late in person.

Got home and saw replay and just shook my head.

I can understand fans cheering what they thought was a big hit.

Not real keen on the reactions after it was clear Louie was injured.

Fans don't always see the hits in real time.

TCL40

Jun 29, 2011
As a Flames fan as long as I can remember 1990 and a season ticket holder since 2001 I can tell you that Iginla will have one of his normal years....30-35 goals, 40 assists, 70-80 points.

I know he's had a slow start, but he ALWAYS has a slow start. You can start to see him imposing his will out there.

It won't be long that the goals will come in bunches.

Plus he'll probably score 20-25 goals in the last 41 games so he really only needs 5-10 in the first half to be a 30 goal man.

He's a perfect Bruin and he and Lucic (& Krejci) are going to make some beautiful plays this year.

I'm not worried about Iginla-he hasn't scored yet but he has Aton of sog and he is collecting assists. He handles the puck and passes well (this is where I see an improvement on the line already-Iggy carries the puck like the future hall of famer her is).

Man fits well on the team and looks good with his line.

If you haven't watched any episodes of NESNs behind the B (think budget version of 24/7) you might want t catch episode 3-Iggy definitely shows himself as a team guy and his trash talk in defense of Krejci is a hoot. Pretty sure the episodes are available on the Bruins website.

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
Dougie seems to be gaining tons of confidence. I think he is proving he should be in the line up. His goal was sweet but he did a lot of other things right.

Of course buffalo is so bad that you expect your team to looks better-I don't think the Buffalo GM or coach will survive the season.

As far as young talent goes.. Dougie is really exciting..

Caper Bruins fan

Dec 4, 2011
Cape Breton
Notes regarding game (besides hit)

- Really like Smith was all over the ice

- I dig the Marchy/Kelly/Soderberg line... think it's a great mix of speed/determination/skill and defense... maybe best 3rd line in NHL

- Marchy is starting to find his game... prolly not as fast as we would like but I feel he isn't messing up the dumb/easy plays like earlier in year

- Lost in all the Loui/Scott is Loui had a very good game looked dangerous and was starting to get there

- Dougie just keeps getting better and better... jumping into the rush to pot that goal was a beauty, love this kid... He will hit 40 points this year (maybe more) if he gets at least 75 games (and he should)

- Didn't notice Merlot too much last night.. not a bad thing, just usually they have a few good hustle shifts and nothing stuck out to me at least.

- Really wished Iggy would have potted 1... think he does tonight.
and Krug with two goals was awesome as well.I also think Buffalo is a terrible team going nowhere fast.It easily could have been a 10-2 game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad