GDT: GM #6 LA Kings vs Toronto Maple Leafs @4:30pm 10/15/18

Marner

Hi I'm Mitch
Jan 30, 2010
Ottawa

Notice how often backups get dressed against the Kings? It’s not too difficult to guess why that is.

I’d be curious to see how lopsided the shot differential and scoring chances will be tonight.

Andersen is day to day with a knee issue apparently.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Or, you don't want rookies in there to take a beating. Sometimes it hurts development, sometimes it doesn't. You never know which way that's going to go. We as fans are even all over the place with that. Put players in a position to succeed. If you have an overall team getting worked every game, is putting a 19 year old consistently on the ice, or a guy that had 10 goals in 50 AHL games last year consistently on the ice, giving them the chance to succeed? Maybe. JAD had a decent game against Montreal. Wagner has had his chances, that he didn't score on. Well, rookies should get punched in the mouth early on. Just like Storr and Berg.

Given health, would Wagner even be on the team? Not with the contract situation. I know people say cut Thompson and Clifford, but that's not an actual option. Or a realistic one. Would JAD be on the team? Not if Brown, Brodzinski, and Vilardi were there. There would simply be no room on the roster. Again, Thompson/Clifford. If they don't feel those young guys are ready for more consistent time, should they be thrown out there simply because they're all that's left?

I generally preach patience with the prospects so I totally get it. This isn't the Storr/Berg Kings and the positions of those two players feature a steeper learning curve.

I fully expected JAD to not make the team. He's actually looked better in the regular season than in the pre-season. Wagner didn't score on his chances but, on a team that has trouble scoring, I'll take the guy that is producing an outnumbered attack each game.

I understand they aren't just going to cut vets to make room for guys that might not be ready. I don't even know if JAD will last past the cutoff. Arguments aside, Wagner didn't look good on the Winnipeg goal the other night but he didn't look as bad as Thompson did on the Ottawa goal and Thompson gets bumped up a line.

I'm not known on here as a "pencil him in" guy when it comes to prospects; however, I think Wagner should have drawn in tonight as it is crazy that every forward from Saturday's debacle just gets rolled back out there. If we are talking about the future, I'd rather Wagner get the taste of playing in Toronto against a good and super-hyped team over Thompson getting to do it one last time. If we are talking about winning right now, I'm not sure Thompson is providing much of a difference.

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014
I generally preach patience with the prospects so I totally get it. This isn't the Storr/Berg Kings and the positions of those two players feature a steeper learning curve.

I fully expected JAD to not make the team. He's actually looked better in the regular season than in the pre-season. Wagner didn't score on his chances but, on a team that has trouble scoring, I'll take the guy that is producing an outnumbered attack each game.

I understand they aren't just going to cut vets to make room for guys that might not be ready. I don't even know if JAD will last past the cutoff. Arguments aside, Wagner didn't look good on the Winnipeg goal the other night but he didn't look as bad as Thompson did on the Ottawa goal and Thompson gets bumped up a line.

I'm not known on here as a "pencil him in" guy when it comes to prospects; however, I think Wagner should have drawn in tonight as it is crazy that every forward from Saturday's debacle just gets rolled back out there. If we are talking about the future, I'd rather Wagner get the taste of playing in Toronto against a good and super-hyped team over Thompson getting to do it one last time. If we are talking about winning right now, I'm not sure Thompson is providing much of a difference.

Appreciate the other response, on my phone now.

Here is the thing no one here knows, the mental make up of a Wagner or amadio etc. For all intents and purposes most if not all nhl players have a drive that gets them there, it's not enough just to have talent. Wagner might be the type to best himself up after each mistake, which does no good if hes doing it after every shift or every game, it brings down his confidence he starts gripping the stick tighter etc.

It it could be Steven's is an idiot, both are plausible, but I will tend to take the side of the guy whose been around the game his entire life and has actually spoken to players over fans on a internet board.

Doesn't mean Steven's is right or good at his job it means he has more information on hand than everyone in this thread combined

GoldenBearHockey

Jan 6, 2014

I do agree this would have been a perfect bounce back game for Wagner here, I would havdcsat clifford

Phil McKraken

Jul 13, 2010
Sweden
I don't really follow the Kings so sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm surprised to see Kempe on the 2nd line over Carter. He can't have been that good with only 1 point in 5 games, so why isn't Carter on the 2nd line instead?

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I don't really follow the Kings so sorry if I'm missing something obvious, but I'm surprised to see Kempe on the 2nd line over Carter. He can't have been that good with only 1 point in 5 games, so why isn't Carter on the 2nd line instead?

It's hard to say, really.

Some will tell you Stevens doesn't know what he's doing. For the most part, I agree, but I don't feel this move is an indicator of that.

Carter hasn't been as good this season as last season. However, he should still be a reliable player, so him playing with a younger player, such as Jaret Anderson-Dolan, should help.

Toffoli and Pearson need to have their training wheels taken off sometime, and they should be able to hold their own on the second line.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I remember that offseason. Four UFA signings all in one day: Handzus, Priessing, Nagy, and Kyle Calder.

I mean, I don't want to say, "embarrassment of riches," but...
Priessing and Handzus were pretty good. 2 Out of 4.

f*** Nagy and Calder. Worthless players.

Sleeping Dog

Fan Since ‘68
Sep 21, 2013
LBC
Just hope Campbell doesn’t turn into Lemieux

Attachments

• 82613A92-12C8-4966-A594-DB8239193D74.gif
    82613A92-12C8-4966-A594-DB8239193D74.gif
    285.4 KB · Views: 1

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway