GDT: GM #6 LA Kings vs Toronto Maple Leafs @4:30pm 10/15/18

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Knowing little about the Kings, I am curious as to where the "confused" comments that I read in the GDT come from? Thanks in advance.

You could say I am...confused...

After putting Kovalchuk in front of the net for the PP in game 1, Stevens said we were just trying ot confuse em.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site
Williams
Mitchell, Willie
Richards
Greene
Stoll

That was your leadership group for the cup runs.

4 of those 5, or 3 of the 5 and whatever was left of Richards, were here in 14-15. The biggest what if season for this core.

Whatever the 12 through 14 teams had was special for a time, and mostly specific to the playoffs, but things petered out quickly for various reasons. More success than most, just not as much as Pittsburgh or Chicago. At least they beat the Hawks head to head once. There was no real breakout regular season to put the Kings on the map. There was no sustained success. An impactful, but short run.

KingsHockey24

Aug 1, 2013
One fight on the season and precious few big hits. I think only one preseason fight.

Game 1 laid out how soft this team is.

Sutter's last year had a lot of this type of getting smacked in the mouth and just taking it.

As an aside, let's not rag on Brown ever again. He's definitely missed out there.

So far we've had:

Kyle Clifford vs Deryk Engelland
Drake Rymsha vs Kiefer Sherwood
Jake Muzzin vs Nick Jensen

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
Knowing little about the Kings, I am curious as to where the "confused" comments that I read in the GDT come from? Thanks in advance.

You could say I am...confused...

Idiot Stevens gave some stupid answer about "confusing the Sharks" when he was asked why he had ILYA KOVALCHUK standing in front of the net screening the goalie on the PP.

I really wonder how much longer Blake and Luc let this go. The Kings have been a very very marginal team since like January or February of this year.

member 157595

After putting Kovalchuk in front of the net for the PP in game 1, Stevens said we were just trying ot confuse em.

Idiot Stevens gave some stupid answer about "confusing the Sharks" when he was asked why he had ILYA KOVALCHUK standing in front of the net screening the goalie on the PP.

I really wonder how much longer Blake and Luc let this go. The Kings have been a very very marginal team since like January or February of this year.

Thanks guys.

I honestly cannot write a joke funnier than that because the concept of taking easily one of the most dangerous PP players of the past few decades and using him as a meat shield is so incredibly stupid that my snark meter has broken.

I have nothing against the Kings and wish you all the best.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Thanks guys.

I honestly cannot write a joke funnier than that because the concept of taking easily one of the most dangerous PP players of the past few decades and using him as a meat shield is so incredibly stupid that my snark meter has broken.

I have nothing against the Kings and wish you all the best.

Yeah, if audio were available in HF, I'm pretty sure there would have been a collection of gasps, gags, and grunts among us Kings fans as that was tweeted.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to join us any time, as misery loves company. This will probably be a long season for us.

KingsFan7824

Dec 4, 2003
Visit site

Sutter last 2 years after the trash can thing.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
They asked DD about the pp after the game and he said "I have no idea" The motto continues....~~~confusion~~~~

member 157595

Yeah, if audio were available in HF, I'm pretty sure there would have been a collection of gasps, gags, and grunts among us Kings fans as that was tweeted.

Best of luck to you! Feel free to join us any time, as misery loves company. This will probably be a long season for us.

I know misery very well. I don't know the Kings that well, but I do hope that you're not in that nebulous period where a team neither rebuilds nor contends...and from experience, that's the worst possible place to be.

Personally, I know Toronto's going to come down to Earth, and that I'm concerned we do not have the backend and toughness needed to go all the way but there's no need for me to bore you all with details here. Some Leafs fans have become insufferably over-exuberant with our hot start. Compounding the issue is that since Toronto is the largest English-speaking hockey market in the league, media coverage will be intense, often biased and filled with hot-takes. It's unavoidable though, as covering the Leafs is a license to print money in Canada, like covering the Lakers is in the NBA. How many NBA fans have no opinion whatsoever on the Lakers? I'd wager very few. Not saying that we're the Lakers because the Lakers haven't completely failed at life since 1967, but when there's a lot of attention and a lot of fans, sometimes the loudest voices are the ones others unfortunately remember.

We will have to see how the Kings do when healthy. But it's simply impossible to spin "Ilya Kovalchuk: Human Shield" in a positive way. You have to put your players in the best positions to succeed.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
4 of those 5, or 3 of the 5 and whatever was left of Richards, were here in 14-15. The biggest what if season for this core.

Whatever the 12 through 14 teams had was special for a time, and mostly specific to the playoffs, but things petered out quickly for various reasons. More success than most, just not as much as Pittsburgh or Chicago. At least they beat the Hawks head to head once. There was no real breakout regular season to put the Kings on the map. There was no sustained success. An impactful, but short run.

I firmly believe the Kings would have made one final run in 14/15 if it wasn't for the Voynov suspension and subsequent off ice circus. They were 6-2-0 and thoroughly dominating teams before the Voynov news hit. Derailed the entire team and season.

After that, it was all downhill with Williams wanting to go back east, Mitchell leaving, etc.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
The biggest problem I have with Blake is that he is refusing to trade core guys from the cup run. This team needs a serious shake up. I agree with getting a new coach, but we need new life and energy in this team. If I was Blake, I would start placing calls either now or near the trade deadline to consider offers on Pearson, Toffoli, Martinez, Muzzin and Carter. If there is a deal that makes sense (i.e., not a trade for the sake of trade), then I would pull the trigger. For example, there may be a team desperate for defense that may give us a top 6 skilled forward for Muzzin+. Carter would be useful for teams that are young but vying to be cup contenders (Jets, Leafs etc.). I know is risky trading Muzzin, but this team's lack of scoring is a serious concern. We just have to hope that the young defensemen like LaDue, Brickly, and Fantenburg and step up and fill in those minutes.

Although its unlikely any team would be interested, I would love to unload Clifford and his $1.6 million contract. Of all the contracts, this one pisses me off the most. The guy is a borderline NHL player, and can easily be replaced by a young player making nearly half that salary. And yet, he occupies a roster spot, and gets paid double.

Reactions: Schmooley

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I'll be shocked if Blake fires Stevens. Who wants to admit their first coach is a bust so early in their tenure as GM? A core roster player must be traded then to send a message.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
I'll be shocked if Blake fires Stevens. Who wants to admit their first coach is a bust so early in their tenure as GM? A core roster player must be traded then to send a message.

Well, Blake has proven to be pretty active, at least. I'm expecting some sort of change once we come home provided we continue to shit the bed in the first game back.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan

I wouldn't be shocked if Blake fires Stevens. There is no risk to Blake's job security if he gets rid of Stevens. It was well known that there was an implicit agreement that Stevens would get a shot as head coach if Sutter was let go. Blake gave Stevens that shot, and what he has shown is that he doesn't have a vision for this team. He is good at identifying micro problems, like players are not shooting from high risk areas etc., but he has no vision for identity like a Sutter.

I would be shocked if Blake fired Stevens so early in the season, but not shocked at all if by Christmas if the team looks flat like now.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
Well, Blake has proven to be pretty active, at least. I'm expecting some sort of change once we come home provided we continue to **** the bed in the first game back.

I give Blake a lot of props, and like most of the stuff he has done for this team. I was a big Blake hater, but he proved me wrong. My biggest criticism is that he hasn't gotten rid of the essential roster players from the 2014 cup run (Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, Martinez)

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
So far we've had:

Kyle Clifford vs Deryk Engelland
Drake Rymsha vs Kiefer Sherwood
Jake Muzzin vs Nick Jensen

I forgot about the Rymsha fight. Kudos to him but it is a guy that wasn't sniffing a spot in a game that featured a surplus of guys that aren't sniffing spots. Fighting isn't the barometer for intensity but, come on now, it is pretty disgusting to lose 5-1 and 4-1 in consecutive games and not even give a face wash. Just collecting checks out there.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland
The biggest problem I have with Blake is that he is refusing to trade core guys from the cup run. This team needs a serious shake up. I agree with getting a new coach, but we need new life and energy in this team. If I was Blake, I would start placing calls either now or near the trade deadline to consider offers on Pearson, Toffoli, Martinez, Muzzin and Carter. If there is a deal that makes sense (i.e., not a trade for the sake of trade), then I would pull the trigger. For example, there may be a team desperate for defense that may give us a top 6 skilled forward for Muzzin+. Carter would be useful for teams that are young but vying to be cup contenders (Jets, Leafs etc.). I know is risky trading Muzzin, but this team's lack of scoring is a serious concern. We just have to hope that the young defensemen like LaDue, Brickly, and Fantenburg and step up and fill in those minutes.

Although its unlikely any team would be interested, I would love to unload Clifford and his $1.6 million contract. Of all the contracts, this one pisses me off the most. The guy is a borderline NHL player, and can easily be replaced by a young player making nearly half that salary. And yet, he occupies a roster spot, and gets paid double.
Honestly trading Clifford and Lewis would probably provide the biggest jolt to the team, especially Lewis. Despite what people here think about these guys, they are loved by their teammates. Personally this is where I'd start.

Reactions: funky

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
I give Blake a lot of props, and like most of the stuff he has done for this team. I was a big Blake hater, but he proved me wrong. My biggest criticism is that he hasn't gotten rid of the essential roster players from the 2014 cup run (Toffoli, Pearson, Muzzin, Martinez)

While I don't want to be right about Blake, this seems as good a time as any for me to once again point out that he hasn't really done anything that has led to tangible results on NHL ice outside of the following:

- Iafallo signing (heavily scouted by DL's staff, a staff that remains on board)
- Gaborik trade (might turn out to be a mistake if Gaborik gets LTIR'd and it gave us Thompson)
- Kovalchuk signing (gave him the years and money he wanted)

He has simply kept draft picks while also making some prospect UFA signings. All of us like this, me included, but it isn't some stroke of genius and all of it is simply potential at this point with the biggest draft pick of all possibly needing a back transplant.

He did nothing last year for the team on the ice except for the Iafallo signing and Gaborik trade. Lombardi's team went out and performed after playing like a bunch of spoiled brats the season before because they hated Sutter.

I preached not judging Blake during his first year and that this past draft and UFA period was when to start. Seems like he was going to move a 1st rounder for Patches so he lucked out there. Added Kovalchuk to what might be a sinking ship.

I don't know what he has done to prove anyone wrong: he has simply kept his draft picks, signed prospect UFAs and Kovalchuk with the latter being extremely risky. What have we seen on the ice? Luc and Blake are over here just milking the fumes of the golden era while there has been nothing in the last five years to show that this team is a contender.

Jury is still out. I don't like Blake but have to hope he succeeeds; however, I just don't get why he is being given a lot of credit for potential results v. what is actually happening. He seriously needs to look at the head coach and this roster if they continue to play this way. We already know that they will blame Brown and Quick being out and won't really judge the team until it is fully healthy, much like the idea of Carter all last season would have made them a 106 point team or some bullshit, implying that Kempe would have scored just as many as goals while filling Carter's spot if Carter was playing.

If they just ride this thing out, it will be confirmation for those that think this Luc/Blake combo is a bad idea and that the country club is back. Have to sell the belief that this team is a contender with Kopi, Brownie, Quickie and the rest of the "y's and ie's" since they made it obvious they weren't interested in a rebuild.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Mullett Lake, MI
I wonder if Blake did try moving some of them and the offers were very minimal. I mean after watching TT play the second half last year I'm sure there wasn't much of a market for him.

But at this point it's more about a culture change than anything else. So many guys left from 2014 after what has happened the four seasons since definitely makes it seem like we are back to the County Club Beach Volleyball days of the past.

Choralone

Oct 16, 2010
Burbank, CA
I think Blake will fire Stevens within 3 weeks if things don't turn around - and by turn around I mean that there is some sort of discernible structure, the Kings aren't getting consistently outshot, and the powerplay and penalty kill aren't at the bottom of the league and don't look like ass. I'd rather have Blake get feedback from the new coach on what kind of system he wants to run so if one or more roster players is traded, it will be in sync with that coach's plan. The earlier this is done the more season there is to salvage.

I'm not normally about firing coaches (I think I went down with the Darryl ship, and have been a Terry Murray defender). But this is Colonel Kurtz territory...

Willard: They told me that you had gone totally insane, and that your methods were unsound.
Kurtz: Are my methods unsound?
Willard: I don't see any method at all, sir.

AlphaBravo

Jan 31, 2015
Yerevan
While I don't want to be right about Blake, this seems as good a time as any for me to once again point out that he hasn't really done anything that has led to tangible results on NHL ice outside of the following:

- Iafallo signing (heavily scouted by DL's staff, a staff that remains on board)
- Gaborik trade (might turn out to be a mistake if Gaborik gets LTIR'd and it gave us Thompson)
- Kovalchuk signing (gave him the years and money he wanted)

He has simply kept draft picks while also making some prospect UFA signings. All of us like this, me included, but it isn't some stroke of genius and all of it is simply potential at this point with the biggest draft pick of all possibly needing a back transplant.

He did nothing last year for the team on the ice except for the Iafallo signing and Gaborik trade. Lombardi's team went out and performed after playing like a bunch of spoiled brats the season before because they hated Sutter.

I preached not judging Blake during his first year and that this past draft and UFA period was when to start. Seems like he was going to move a 1st rounder for Patches so he lucked out there. Added Kovalchuk to what might be a sinking ship.

I don't know what he has done to prove anyone wrong: he has simply kept his draft picks, signed prospect UFAs and Kovalchuk with the latter being extremely risky. What have we seen on the ice? Luc and Blake are over here just milking the fumes of the golden era while there has been nothing in the last five years to show that this team is a contender.

Jury is still out. I don't like Blake but have to hope he succeeeds; however, I just don't get why he is being given a lot of credit for potential results v. what is actually happening. He seriously needs to look at the head coach and this roster if they continue to play this way. We already know that they will blame Brown and Quick being out and won't really judge the team until it is fully healthy, much like the idea of Carter all last season would have made them a 106 point team or some bull****, implying that Kempe would have scored just as many as goals while filling Carter's spot if Carter was playing.

If they just ride this thing out, it will be confirmation for those that think this Luc/Blake combo is a bad idea and that the country club is back. Have to sell the belief that this team is a contender with Kopi, Brownie, Quickie and the rest of the "y's and ie's" since they made it obvious they weren't interested in a rebuild.

I more or less agree with you, but sometimes not doing something is a sign of a good GM. For example, by not trading away draft picks for rentals at the TDL for a perceived cup run, Blake showed maturity and an understanding of where this team is at. The college UFA signings were a big deal. Iafallo and Brickley appear to be panning out for us with no assets expended.

Again, my biggest critic is clinging on to the core players from the 2014 cup run. But like the prior poster said, it's possible that Blake has inquired about trading players like Toffoli or Pearson, and the offers are really bad.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
I wonder if Blake did try moving some of them and the offers were very minimal. I mean after watching TT play the second half last year I'm sure there wasn't much of a market for him.

But at this point it's more about a culture change than anything else. So many guys left from 2014 after what has happened the four seasons since definitely makes it seem like we are back to the County Club Beach Volleyball days of the past.

Do you think we can pry Nylander away from Toronto with a Carter/Muzzin package?

Carter is a cost controlled vet. Muzzin doesn’t have much time remaining on his current deal. Could provide them with defensive depth for a run, and they can decide whether or not to keep him.

Bandit

Jul 23, 2005
Unemployed in Greenland

Yeah I would not be trading Lewis or Clifford for the return but for the shock value to the room.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad