Post-Game Talk: [GM 6] Canucks lose to Sabres | 1 - 5 (Garland)

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Firing Bruce would not fix this team.Its the product on the ice that is not working.
This team needs to add more size and speed .The gm did not fix the defense,and Demko is playing like he is not interested.
If they fire Bruce,ya know Mike Yeo is probley going to take over..Also ffs fire Jason King please.His special teams deployment are the worst.

There is no way to make this team better, apart from a trade where we bamboozle someone.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Diamonddog01

Diamond in the rough
Jul 18, 2007
Vancouver
That deal of 1st, Chytil, Lundkvist will haunt us for years.

Yeah...I thought it would be a selling for pennies on the dollar situation but after the Rangers got the haul they did it appears that this was a massive missed opportunity for the franchise. And Chytil looked great in the playoffs and has the same amount of points as Miller thus far lol.

Reactions: PuckMunchkin

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Even right now, I'm resisting the temptation to track down the DJ on Social Media and harass him with personal level insults with nothing heldback. It's taking every ounce of my being to not do something criminally evil towards this man and the only thing preventing me in doing so is knowing the disappointment it would cause my parents if I did something like that (they raised me better than that and I need to respect that). It's not his fault the Canucks are losing, but holy f*** am I mad at this guy.

Agreed with your song choice though. ;-)

p.s. - Doing as many push-ups as I can (to failure) has actually helped me a lot tonight.
I support you in not being troll. Truly. Good for you. Don't do it.

Reactions: quat

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Firing Bruce would not fix this team.Its the product on the ice that is not working.
This team needs to add more size and speed .The gm did not fix the defense,and Demko is playing like he is not interested.
If they fire Bruce,ya know Mike Yeo is probley going to take over..Also ffs fire Jason King please.His special teams deployment are the worst.
As much as the roster is full of soft players, we have had a full camp now under this staff and there is zero structure

That is on the staff

Bruce had never been a technical coach and unfortunately he is surrounded by a horrible staff as well

andyJH

Dec 28, 2005
dumpster-with-flame-canucks-LRG.gif

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Basically two key players (Miller and Demko) have been horrible.

Team overall is driving slightly above-average metrics at ES. We’ve been incredibly unlucky.

It’s the sort of 6-game stretch that is slightly worrisome if it happens in January but an absolute calamity if it happens in October.

Team does seem absolutely broken and fragile in 3rd periods and collapse as soon as something goes wrong.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
What a calamity to start the year...Probably as angry as I have seen the Canuck fanbase...ever...It took years before Gillis teams and Benning teams were booed in earnest....This is the first home opener for this management group, and they must be paralyzed with disbelief.

-I knew, going in, that this was going to be a tough game for the Canucks..Reading the Flames fans views on the Sabres, the Sabres are the real deal this year....Not only that, you knew the Canucks would start squeezing their sticks if adversity struck in the 3rd.

-Special teams were absolutely appalling.

-Eventually, the Canucks will crawl out of this hole..I dont think the coach will be fired or players traded..We're not there yet.

-Good interview with JR on After Hours..Thats as blunt honesty as Ive seen a GM...Garrett was cringe at the beginning of the interview, trying to fondly go down memory lane..It was completely out of step...JR was in no mood for that.

Last edited:

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009

Bruce lasts the year. Aren’t we still paying like 2 other coaches? He’s done at years end and then straight to the old folks home. Who in the F hires a coach first and then a GM lol.

What I find surprising is Rutherfords not giving a shit about how he comes off about it. He’s all but said he doesn’t want BB including in his after hours last night.

Also Allvin is such a puppet. Everyone thinks JR is the GM cuz he basically is.

I'd love to have a beer with Bruce and get his true thoughts about Horvat as a leader.. and how he compares to a guy like Getzlaf.

I blame BB. I like what Bowness did in Winnipeg with the captaincy. Nothing against any captain but with a new coach , all new leaders should be chosen. If it happens to be the same guys because new coach wants it that way, fine. But every new coach should pick his leadership group. Not just a continuance ….. just because that’s the way the coach 10 years ago had it.

Reactions: CherryToke

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Bruce already broke up Kuz/Pettersson/Pod. Is he ok in the head? Legit the only good line we have now has Kuz on a different line.

Johnny Canucker

Jan 4, 2009
What a calamity to start the year...Probably as angry as I have seen the Canuck fanbase...ever...It took years before Gillis teams and Benning teams were booed in earnest....This is the first home opener for this management group, and they must be paralyzed with disbelief.

-I knew, going in, that this was going to be a tough game for the Canucks..Reading the Flames fans views on the Sabres, the Sabres are the real deal this year....Not only that, you knew the Canucks would start squeezing their sticks if adversity struck in the 3rd.

-Eventually, the Canucks will crawl out of this hole..I dont think the coach will be fired or players traded..We're not there yet.

-Good interview with JR on After Hours..Thats as blunt honesty as Ive seen a GM...Garrett was cringe at the beginning of the interview, trying to fondly go down memory lane..It was completely out of step...JR was in no mood for that.

Nah, not angry enough. I’ve said it years ago. Nothing will change until enough people realize the strength in numbers and STOP going to games. STOP buying their merch. Stop spending a dime on this team. If not, they will continue to pass off material inconsequential to the result stuff as change (new slogan, minor trade, new retro jersey, new theme song whatever) and they laugh as the fans eat this shit up.

Bruce already broke up Kuz/Pettersson/Pod. Is he ok in the head? Legit the only good line we have now has Kuz on a different line.
Lines matter less than people think. If you have 20 pieces of garbage and every day line them up differently , guess what?

You still have 20 pieces of garbage.

Reactions: m9

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
What moron chose Trent Cull?
What moron chose Mike Yeo?
What moron chose our no name pp coach?

Fire that moron first
Then fire the incompetent coaching staff

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
I think the most depressing thing for the fans, is how early the Canucks basically exit the playoff race every year.

Six games in, and the Canucks will need to go 9-4 in their next 13 games just to get to .500 before the U.S. Thanksgiving. That's the cutoff date, where the playoff teams are almost set. Very few teams below the playoff bar on that date ever really get back into it.

It was the same script for the Canucks in the COVID Canadian Division; and the same last year. For all intents and purposes, they were done by the 25-game mark. And even going 32-15 the rest of the way couldn't save them.

What's amazing to me is the people who keep showing up at the arena, buying tickets, souvenirs and beer, while supporting this 'reign of error'. I mean how long can it continue?

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
How do our players take coaches that have spent their entire lifetimes in the minors seriously?

Trent Cull seriously ????

That is the best we can do?

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
How do our players take coaches that have spent their entire lifetimes in the minors seriously?

Trent Cull seriously ????

That is the best we can do?

Part of the problem is they didn’t totally purge the Benning regime, especially in some key positions.

Cull is only still here because Ryan Johnson asked to keep him around. They had intended to replace the AHL coach and just fire Cull.

Until all these people are gone they’ll be a problem.

Anyone Benning hired, let alone let run anything, should have been fired out of principle.

Reactions: bh53

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Basically two key players (Miller and Demko) have been horrible.

Team overall is driving slightly above-average metrics at ES. We’ve been incredibly unlucky.

It’s the sort of 6-game stretch that is slightly worrisome if it happens in January but an absolute calamity if it happens in October.

Team does seem absolutely broken and fragile in 3rd periods and collapse as soon as something goes wrong.

The metrics I see on natural stat trick have them in the bottom half of the league at ES. Certainly not above average.

SCF%= 47.5 % (high danger <45%)
XGF% = 47 % (actual 46).

They aren’t unlucky. They have received the ES performance they have earned. And then the other stuff has been awful. This isn’t a team that is flying at ES or is above average at ES. They aren’t. They at best tread water at ES and it’s almost solely down to one line (Pettersson) things look as good as they do.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Well he was responsible for Halak and Theodore's good years so those are examples of small goalies he taught to play big. In terms of bigger guys like Lu he taught them to be more economical.

Basically in the past he has tailored his coaching to the needs of the student. For a long time, certain coaches were regarded as "cookie cutter", especially Canadian ones in the run up to the emerging dominance of Euro netminders. I always appreciated that he wasn't one of those.

From what I've read he really did a great job creating drills that mimicked game situations.

Big on crease movement patterns and really working on them without shots. One would argue he was too much into t-pushes, but this is his contribution to Lu extending his career by taking some of the swimming and desperation diving out of his game. Ironically his insistence on this wasn't palatable to a young and lazy Carey Price, who got him fired. But then a few seasons later Price admitted he still does those movement drills and said he didn't appreciate their value at the time.

Clark talks a great game and is considered a big brain guy in terms of "ideas". I'd say he excels in management of goalies who are already at a certain level and helping them maintain that level. He's a good motivator and has helped guys prepare better mentally. But sometimes I think he becomes a little too familiar with guys like Lu and when a big overhaul is needed he seems unwilling to make wholesale changes. Demko has some lingering issues that I thought would be addressed several seasons ago.

Actually both might be behind the times now. All the new techniques I've seen (and they keep getting invented) are from pretty young goalie coaches.
Markstroms's return from the Abyss to prominence when Vancouver sent him to Utica after camp broke in 2014-15 (Benning had 0 faith and I guess figured that would be the last he heard of him) was due to the work of Rollie. Day in and day out before practice began he was on the ice with Marky and day by day Marky became par excellence. He did a lot for Demko early on as well.

Rollie is an excellent teacher and strategist. Not many under his tutelage have failed.

Last edited:

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
The metrics I see on natural stat trick have them in the bottom half of the league at ES. Certainly not above average.

SCF%= 47.5 % (high danger <45%)
XGF% = 47 % (actual 46).

They aren’t unlucky. They have received the ES performance they have earned. And then the other stuff has been awful. This isn’t a team that is flying at ES or is above average at ES. They aren’t. They at best tread water at ES and it’s almost solely down to one line (Pettersson) things look as good as they do.

The claim they are decent 5-on-5 is a myth, Drance rips it on the radio basically every day. A couple players have been halfway decent, most of the roster has been bad and they don’t generate near enough offensively at even strength because they can’t transition.

m9

m9
Sponsor
Jan 23, 2010
The claim they are decent 5-on-5 is a myth, Drance rips it on the radio basically every day. A couple players have been halfway decent, most of the roster has been bad and they don’t generate near enough offensively at even strength.

.. and I think most of those watching the games realize this.

They've had a few periods where they outplayed the other team, sure.
But for the vast majority of the season it has either been pretty even or outplayed by the opposition.

Reactions: TruGr1t

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $2,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 3