Post-Game Talk: GM 47 | Oilers def. Canucks - 4-1 (Boeser)

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I love Hughes but this is so true. WTF 26 minutes? Rathbone at 12? Rathbone is probably doubting his own game right now and he thinks he screwed up somewhere because he was "benched" in his mind, unless someone tells him, it's not him and it's just the Pejorative Slured coaches. Kids a rookie.
Getting 12 minutes is inline with what Green usually gives the #6 D-man..Juolevi got the same amount on Mondays game, and Stecher last season was usually around 12-15 minutes...Not sure why he deployed Hughes so much though, possibly to generate more offence from the back end.

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
Sorry but Eriksson is not going to mutually terminate his deal, he is going to collect his bonus and sit and enjoy life for the rest of the season. Also not sure if terminating a contract after the bonus is issue would actually take the bonus off the cap, I assume no because that would be such an obvious loop hole.

Mae have too many holes to fill for this team to be good in the next 2 years. The only way to do it is to sacrifice the f*** out of our future and that’s just stupid and will f*** us even more. Bascially you are just grasping on to the fantasy that somehow we will be good in the next 2 years when the reality is our cap is so f***ed that we barely have enough money to fill out a roster even if we bring in a bunch of min wage guys.

lol relax man. imagine being this upset.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Getting 12 minutes is inline with what Green usually gives the #6 D-man..Juolevi got the same amount on Mondays game, and Stecher last season was usually around 12-15 minutes...Not sure why he deployed Hughes so much though, possibly to generate more offence from the back end.

Rathbone played 6:30 in the first period and then barely a minute in the 3rd.

His strategy to get back into a meaningless game they were trailing was ... to play a talented playmaking defender less?

It's stuff like this that will forever limit Green to being a mediocre coach. He is unwilling to take risks or step out of his box, ever, and will always default to overplaying the same guys. Again, we've seen these patterns for 8 years going back to Utica and he hasn't changed a bit.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Just chiming in on the Miller trade discussion.

Yes he's clearly one of our best players, however I think there is a 0% chance he will A) sign an extension with the Canucks (or any Canadian team for that matter) and B) sign an extension here that will be an efficient contract value for us (30+ age seasons).

He would also be one of the absolutely most sought after and bid upon player if made available to the league, especially given his lack of trade protection. If you retain his contract down to say, $3.75-4.25MM for the final two years, you're going to have a lot of teams busting down the door to get an offer in on getting a 1st line player at 4MM for two stanley cup runs.

Everything is compounded by his clear frustration about his play, the team's play, his comments about the offseason, outbursts etc. The best course of action is likely to get ahead of it becoming an even bigger issue and extract maximum value before losing him for less than you paid (back third 1st round pick + 3rd).

It sucks, but this is the reality given our cap situation and current outlook of the team. The even more difficult conversation will be coming in the final year of Horvat's deal...

Reactions: lindgren and arttk

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
My point is that if the team can hire a competent GM I think a playoff team can be iced within 2 seasons. Even for next season with some luck and the right moves. Holtby will be gone whether Seattle takes him or there is a buyout and I think there is also a chance the Erikkson contract is mutually terminated after July 1st. The 2mil in salary he would make next year is easily attainable playing a year in Europe/Sweden (at home for him). He clearly has never given a f*** about being here. Correct UFA signings and a real coach and these guys make the playoffs next season IMO. Of course we wont see a real coach though, and im sure Benning will be around to further f*** things up.
Lol. What Swedish team is going to pay him 2 million dollars? And his base salary is 3 million next year.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles

Yes he's clearly one of our best players, however I think there is a 0% chance he will A) sign an extension with the Canucks (or any Canadian team for that matter) and B) sign an extension here that will be an efficient contract value for us (30+ age seasons).

He would also be one of the absolutely most sought after and bid upon player if made available to the league, especially given his lack of trade protection. If you retain his contract down to say, $3.75-4.25MM for the final two years, you're going to have a lot of teams busting down the door to get an offer in on getting a 1st line player at 4MM for two stanley cup runs.

Everything is compounded by his clear frustration about his play, the team's play, his comments about the offseason, outbursts etc. The best course of action is likely to get ahead of it becoming an even bigger issue and extract maximum value before losing him for less than you paid (back third 1st round pick + 3rd).

It sucks, but this is the reality given our cap situation and current outlook of the team. The even more difficult conversation will be coming in the final year of Horvat's deal...

I mean it’s also super likely that he will ask for a trade this off season and we will have to trade him anyways. Just look at how pouty he is right now, he is not dumb, he knows the team is shit next year too.
I would be more aggressive in taking salary back to get higher bids. He earns 5.25 right now, eat like 2.5m and he only costs 2.75M. An PPG winger/center at that price point for 2 season will get us more than what Kesler got us. We will be looking at 1st rounder, prospect and player. If we are more future focused, we can get multiple prospects and pick or multiple picks and prospect.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

They need to move him in short order. His value is still very high at that cap hit. Could easily get a few prospects and a 1st.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
So knowing that the Blues were apparently hit really hard by Covid before the bubble last year, does that put the Canucks' playoff "run" into better perspective?
How hard were they hit.?...20% of the roster caught covid, which brings the number to 5 or 6..a number of those were asymptomatic...Not even remotely close to what the Canucks went through (19 out of 23), with guys literally laid out from the virus.

After the series coach Berube said it wasnt the virus that affected the team so much ..as it was the lack of working out and practice due to quarantine.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
How hard were they hit.?...20% of the roster caught covid, which brings the number to 5 or 6..a number of those were asymptomatic...Not even remotely close to what the Canucks went through (19 out of 23), with guys literally laid out from the virus.

After the series coach Berube said it wasnt the virus that affected the team so much ..as it was the lack of working out and practice due to quarantine.

Prior to the restart of the season, several Blues players contracted COVID-19 with Berube admitting his players were struggling with lingering effects of the virus in the playoffs.

“There are some real good players for us who unfortunately got sick, it takes quite a toll on them,” said Berube. “Even at the playoffs tournament, they still weren’t feeling one hundred percent. There’s a lot of lasting effects that they had. But in saying that, you can’t really use excuses. We didn’t perform well enough as a team to move on. That’s the bottom line, it really is. We needed more players to play better and it just wasn’t there.”

From Ray and Dregs: Craig Berube breaks down St. Louis Blues’ first round exit - TSN.ca

Hoglander

I'm Höglander. I can do whatever I want.
Jan 4, 2019
Midtown, New York
Zero chance Benning trades Miller for futures.

His past moves show he'd much prefer to ride him and gun for playoffs spot and let him walk as UFA than trade him and be perceived as retooling, even if it's the smarter asset management.
Yep. We should all be afraid. This offseason Benning will be desperate to make it back into the playoffs and save his job. We've got Podkolzin and Rathbone adding more youth - and Benning doesn't need many picks because he thinks he can just out-draft everybody. Benning is gonna need him some age gappers. We'll be lucky if we got another Miller (which was a waste because we still suck as he's aging)

So this is our situation:

-Idiot GM
-Job on the line
-Desperate for playoffs
-Doesn't need more youth because he's God's gift to drafting
-Loves age gap mentors
-Has a high end pick to work with

I'm prepared for the worst. He wanted to trade a high end pick for Subban before, and nearly traded what looks as though it would've been a top 5 pick++ for OEL last offseason. Tried to trade (was it the Boeser pick?) for Lucic. Be very afraid.

Reactions: Szechwan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad