Post-Game Talk: GM 47 | Oilers def. Canucks - 4-1 (Boeser)

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
That is what toxic environments do to passionate people. He is not the problem or even a problem at all

Kesler would be losing his shit here
I would like to clarify my JT stance.

He is not the sole problem. He has his deficiencies but when you play him on the wing next to a defensively reliable center, he is a fantastic player who provides immense surplus value relative to contract.

When you are winning, he is also a good energy guy.

What he isn’t -
1. A captain
2. A center
3. Depending on if they can ice a top ten team by NEXT SEASON, he is likely NOT a long term solution

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
That is what toxic environments do to passionate people. He is not the problem or even a problem at all

Yep, the players aren't dumb. They know what's happening with management and how the competitiveness of the team took a big step backwards this offseason. This shouldn't surprise anyone, Miller was unhappy during the offseason with his 'shocking reboot' comment (although some tried to redefine the words rather than accept the reality of his statement). The players are going to get fed up as they know this management won't build a competitive team, as they should.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County

It absolutely is a problem. You can't just pass pucks around like you don't give a crap and then throw your head back and sulk while you get scored on. That's a huge problem. I wouldn't want that around young players at all. If anyone on my team quit on plays and had hissy fits they'd be benched. The attitude someone has when things are going badly really does reflect on their character.

I get he wants to win. Everyone does. I get that he's passionate, which is a great quality to have. He just can't let adversity affect him so negatively because it's contagious to the others around him.

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
finishing bottom 10 for the last decade is by default a rebuild with literally an GM with half a brain.
Not sure if it matters what you call it. It’s like eating something with no calories. That’s what happened in the last 7 years. We just sucked and don’t really have anything to show for it except for like 2 really good piece. We might get another good one this draft and the focus should be to get the best support cast for these 2-3 kids and ones that are within the right age range and cost controlled so we can get more pieces from free agency when the dead cap is off the books and the cap is going to go up. Miller’s prime doesn’t match up with that, it’s simple as that. Hell I would argue Horvat’s prime doesn’t match up as well And we should look to sell him too if we can get a young c back in a trade.

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
Look at the roster, we have no cap next year to fill out our D and a 3rd line C. The team is not going to be good with or without Miller. What’s the point of keeping him? So we can finish slightly further away from the bottom? If you can argue that well the year after will be better, well our cap is still f***ed the year after. Benning says we are 2 years away, yeah if we have a good manager that will do everything right. We are realistically 3 years away and the next 2 years should be about collecting assets to build a supporting group for Petey and Hughes. Keep Miller and you get a worse pick and sell him later means you get less back. You want the window to be further away than 3 years? Keep the status quo and you will get that.

You dont trade good players unless we are absolutely rebuilding which this management team has not done ever, if the cap is the problem you look at other ways to fix it (unfortunately dumb management and ownership). I mean if you want to go down this road why dont we explore trading bo as well while were at it, trade him for a 19 year old if were 3 years away? You are talking in complete hypotheticals. Heres a hypothetical, you trust benning to pull off a good trade selling Miller? I dont. And i certainly would not get rid of him for krebs as you suggest.

You also are not going to get hardly anything more trading him this off season vs trading him at the deadline if were out of it. The deadline teams might even be more inclined to make a move if they are in a playoff spot. Theres other ways to clear cap space unfortunately this management and ownership is to dumb and stubborn to execute it.

Last edited:

TeddyBare

Jul 28, 2016
Mississauga, Ontario
people complaining about JT are insane. he absolutely needs to be kept.

So we have a group complaining about JT Miller, and a group complaining about Bo Horvat. Yet both players are 1,2 in scoring since the team came back from Covid according to the broadcast. Tough crowd

Toxic as heck up in here
I'm out, Peace

Ps. Hog = Gallagher 2.0

Reactions: HockeyWooot

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
You dont trade good players unless we are absolutely rebuilding which this management team has not done ever, if the cap is the problem you look at other ways to fix it. I mean if you want to go down this road why dont we explore trading bo as well while were at it? You are talking in complete hypotheticals.

You also are not going to get hardly anything more trading him this off season vs trading him at the deadline if were out of it. Theres other ways to clear cap space unfortunately this management and ownership is to dumb and stubborn to execute it.
Disagree with that, with the cap crunch, a cost controlled point per game winger is going to get you a ton. Like where the F are you going to find a PPG guy for like 3 M for 2 years? Just look at how much Tampa was willing to pay NJ just because the guy had one more year and he is nowhere close to the player Miller is.
Take the offer to the Avs and Vegas and have them out bud each other. Miller at like 3M could put them over the top and Miller fits perfectly with Vegas’ window.

Our current roster is like just f***ed. Bottom 6 sucks and is filled with junk you don’t want to pay to get rid of. Defense is bad and outside of Ratbone, we have nothing coming to help. With Miller we have a decent top 6 but not enough to make up for the broom 6 and the D. Sucking is going to be a given next year and the year after that. It’s not like we are oozing with assets and we can trade picks to get rid of bad contracts and then use young players and picks to trade for dman to fill the hole or free up cap to sign top4 guys since there aren’t any to sign. Just look at the facts.

Reactions: timw33

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Missed the game how were lind and rathbone?
Hey Chad, Lind played the same he has, nothing special, didnt f*** up, but maybe needs more work in the AHL to get faster. Brutal team to be thrown into too so theres that

Rath played solid, no d mistakes, showed some offensive wizardry but was SADDLED with Myers who had a bad game. Coach Green benched both these guys in the 3rd period when the Oilers were dominating and he kept a shorter bench which made things go from bad to worse. Probably bad development game for both these guys but good for them to get in there

Foundational Player

Benning the Incompetent
Mar 27, 2008
BC
Rathbone should get another game - hopefully Green doesn’t carry on this silly revolving door with him, Juolevi and Chatfield.

Hoglander continues to be the brightest spot of the season for the Canucks. Noticed him a ton tonight. Lucky we have him.

He has the Hansen vibe in the sense that he is a little buzzsaw out there and doesn't stop moving his feet.

It's also great to see that he doesn't shy away from contact and makes things happen in the offense zone.

Really needs to improve his shot but there's a lot to his game that's promising.

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I guess I'll have to clarify my stance on Miller too. I think he's a great player; actually, I think he's one of the best players on the team. I have no problem with most of his game. The only problem I have with him is how he acts sometimes. If he didn't have his nonchalant, careless passes, and he didn't have his tantrums and quit on plays, then I would literally have no problems with him at all.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Missed the game how were lind and rathbone?
They had a good 1st and 2nd period because they didn't get much ice time in the 3rd. Rathbone, it only takes him a couple strides to get into position if he is out of position. He can swiftly jump into the rush but also be the 1st guy back. Height and weight doesn't matter against buttersoft Oilers, so Rathbone had a good game.

Lind arguably had the biggest hit on Oilers' defenceman Lagesson. He makes quick plays with the puck and always has his head up so doesn't turn it over much. We need Pettersson back so Hoglander can go back with Horvat/Pearson, they have chemistry and Lind needs to be sheltered instead of relied on for offence in his first few NHL games.

The off-season should benefit our 1st and 2nd year players a lot.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Green will be out of this league shortly after we dump him. Maybe a couple more short stints like Willie D

Green will never darken the door of the NHL again, at least not as a head coach and Hockey Canada (who welcomed WD with open arms and for whom he won a Spengler Cup and medalled at the Olympics) wouldn't touch him with a ten foot cattle prod. Back to the Ahl...

lawrence

May 19, 2012
green treating each game like a game 7 until mathematically eliminated from the playoffs, lol.

feel sorry for the kids (Lind, Rathbone). Rathbone is probably like how the hell did this guy played 11 years in the NHL referring to Myers.

lawrence

May 19, 2012
The only problem I have with him is how he acts sometimes.

I kinda feel the same. sometimes his body language doesn't help anyone too, but showing signs of surrendering, it can really reflect, and his teamates can see it, not that it's a dog shit season, I know, you know, he expecically knows its a dog shit season, with absolutley nothing to play for, would at least like to see him not give up on the team, even though we are a dog shit team, yes JT Miller we are with ya all the way but please... at least set an example for the kids. He is also welcome to test UFA when the time comes. I expect him too. but now please just at least play til the end.

Reactions: The Vasili Jerry

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I thought that Rathbone was just ok this game..There wasnt anything that really stuck in my mind as being elite or anything out of the ordinary. (Hughes' first game was amazing)...I'm not blaming Myers either,..that pairing always seemed to be on the ice when Ennis/Turris or Yamamoto were on the ice, and they were skating circles around the Canucks.

I've seen some of Rathbones AHL highlights, they are amazing.. and hopefully he'll be more comfortable next game.

Ratbone TOI...

1st Period: 6.57 mins
2nd Period: 3.16 mins
3rd Period: 1.51 mins

Last edited:
Reactions: Zippgunn

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Won $150 bucks on a 2 goal Draisaitl night so at least I can get some joy from this game
Screenshot_20210504-223403_Chrome.jpg

ez money

bertuzzi2bure

Apr 14, 2021
If Miller is traded it would be a signal that mgmt does not think they can ice a competent team for another 3 years. He probably has 5-6 more years of good hockey in him... IMO if a new GM was brought in this summer (anyone new would be more competent than the current clown) we would have a competitive team in the season after the next. We have too many good young players for this to be a total f-up. Majority of the trash contracts would be up too. DO NOT TRADE HIM.

The only offer I would accept is a top 10 pick... which we wouldnt get anyways. A late 1st and a middling prospect isnt enough. He would be the best player in any trade involving him so what is the point?

The Vasili Jerry

Serenity now!
Jun 11, 2011
Orange County
I thought that Rathbone was just ok this game..There wasnt anything that really stuck in my mind as being elite or anything out of the ordinary. (Hughes' first game was amazing)...I'm not blaming Myers either,..that pairing always seemed to be on the ice when Ennis/Turris or Yamamoto were on the ice, and they were skating circles around the Canucks.

I've seen some of Rathbones AHL highlights, they are amazing.. and hopefully he'll be more comfortable next game.

Ratbone TOI...

1st Period: 6.57 mins
2nd Period: 3.16 mins
3rd Period: 1.51 mins
To me he looked like he was probably a bit nervous, especially in the first period. I feel like he just didn't want to make a mistake so he was overly cautious. I would expect him to look better as he gets more confidence at this level. I just hope he's given some rope from Green to be able to play his game without feeling like he'll get benched for a mistake.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad