Post-Game Talk: GM 44: Leafs def. Canucks - 4-1 (Miller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
I can accept Covid as an overall excuse on a back to back type situation for some players. But it didn’t hit all of them and this is a disaster roster top to bottom. Either they get Vezina goaltending a pop a couple PP goals and have a chance to win or they don’t and they lose.

Covid is simply highlighting the issues already present. The worst 5-on-5 team by chance share going into the covid break simply looks worse. So covid is an excuse and it really isn’t.

No doubt some are struggling. Hughes seemed to have been hit hard by it and he’s clearly struggling...look at how many times he stumbled last night making simple turns. This guy has some of the best edges in the league and he’s stumbling on a pivot while not under pressure. Boeser is struggling to get back to form.

That’s when it starts to boil down to coaching and depth. A coaching staff who seemingly has issues resting players. A management team that hasn’t provided depth and is at the cap so that the taxi squad can’t be used to its fullest.
The team definitely got off to a brutal start, which likely cost them the playoffs right there..That was inexcusable..From February 25 through to when they got hit with covid, the teams winning % was in the .630's...led by the great play of Demko.

Last week they were at .500, and if they were healthy..who's to say that they couldn't have given the Habs a run for their money..?..They squeaked out a win against the Sens, but its clear that the covid fatigue, and schedule had already caught up with them...They're going to be hard pressed to win a single game from now till the end of the season.

We all know who was hit by covid..Nearly all the defensemen, and both goalies..Horvat,Motte ,Sutter,Boeser....Agreed that QH seems to be having the biggest problem..He even looks ill..I dont think these guys are going to be 100% until the seasons over,

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Missed the 1st and 3rd periods, and half of the 2nd period. Probably for the best, less wasted time for all my important other things in life, like watching paint dry...

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
The team definitely got off to a brutal start, which likely cost them the playoffs right there..That was inexcusable..From February 25 through to when they got hit with covid, the teams winning % was in the .630's...led by the great play of Demko.

Last week they were at .500, and if they were healthy..who's to say that they couldn't have given the Habs a run for their money..?..They squeaked out a win against the Sens, but its clear that the covid fatigue, and schedule had already caught up with them...They're going to be hard pressed to win a single game from now till the end of the season.

We all know who was hit by covid..Nearly all the defensemen, and both goalies..Horvat,Motte ,Sutter,Boeser....Agreed that QH seems to be having the biggest problem..He even looks ill..I dont think these guys are going to be 100% until the seasons over,

Most teams can put up a good record in a shortened timeframe. So going 0.630 over a month or so isn't really an accomplishment that distinguishes a good team from a bad team. As you said it was led by Demko NOT really the rest of the club. Covid certainyl has an effect but this was still the worst team 5-on-5 in the league by scoring chance share before Covid. You can pick most any stat and find them to be near the bottom of the league at ES before Covid.

As I said what Covid has done the last few games is just exasperate an existing issue.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Most teams can put up a good record in a shortened timeframe. So going 0.630 over a month or so isn't really an accomplishment that distinguishes a good team from a bad team. As you said it was led by Demko NOT really the rest of the club. Covid certainyl has an effect but this was still the worst team 5-on-5 in the league by scoring chance share before Covid. You can pick most any stat and find them to be near the bottom of the league at ES before Covid.

As I said what Covid has done the last few games is just exasperate an existing issue.

The 84-85 Canucks - the benchmark for the lowest single-season point in team history - had a 12-9-1 stretch where they put up 25 points in 22 games (in the old scoring system). 91 point pace over an 80 game season which would have been 7th in the NHL. Equates to about a 100-point pace in the modern scoring system over 82 games.

That team still sucked. Using a small stretch as 'proof' that a team is good is a fool's errand because literally every team will have a hot streak at some point in a season. The Ottawa Senators are playing at a 95-point pace over their last 20 games.

Reactions: tantalum and timw33

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Another loss to the Leaves is looming on Saturday night....further cementing the Canucks standing as the worst team in the North Division.

Wish I'd put a hundred bucks down on the Sens finishing ahead of the Canucks this season.....would have meant a nice payout.

But these days I'm in line with what most of the players are probably thinking right now......get these last 10 games over and done with, pack up the duffle bags and get the hell out of Dodge.

Let the owner and management hang around to rationalize this mess.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Ray Ferraro getting heated on TSN radio 20 mins ago

Interesting perspectives

he has the same perspective as bieksa on Edlers hit. Guys in Toronto think it was disrespectful and pre meditated

MMMOOOWWW

Dec 1, 2017
BC
As a leaf fan first and Canucks second. Edler has a history of not being vanilla. He knows he screwed up, that's why he answered the bell. Good on him. Wayne took it easy on him , but had to make a point.Thats why no Canuck did anything after. It was done .

Reactions: Hit the post
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad