Post-Game Talk: GM 44: Leafs def. Canucks - 4-1 (Miller)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
I just noticed the team lost the last 3 fights. MacEwen-Tkachuk, Hamonic-Paul, Edler-Simmonds. No wonder they got no energy!!

Ace of Hades

#Demko4Vezina
Apr 27, 2010
Oregon
Canucks have lots of players that can talk tough / hard in the dressing room.... but sadly not many that are willing to stand up for a team-mate.....

MacEwen wouldve been ideal for that reason.

and I dont get this garbage whining from some users here complaining against people that are upset about Edler getting punched multiple times when he has already paid his due with that suspension and so there should be no reason he should be put in that position.

Its about standing up for a well respected non-fighting physical leader of the team who has been here for all of his career and this was his first fight. Props to Edler for not backing down but shame on the rest.

Edler is generally not dirty and a class act through his whole life. One of the Canucks players like Myers shouldve clocked Simmonds after that shit he pulled.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Leafs held serve after getting embarrassed in VanCity last weekend.

They disrespected the Canucks by resting half their blueline and still won going away. Next game those guys will likely be back....so we could be looking at a Saturday Night Massacre for the Canucks.

cesareborgia

Jun 9, 2010
Gentlepeople, fandom and Canucktards .... it's been a hellava year. Tonight imho is the night the fate of the season comes to play. I realize taking one more game out of the four with the Sens would have been great, but a first back to back against the top team in the north whom we defeated twice a week or so ago will show who we really are for the remaining games. If we can beat the leafs and win the series against the Peggers and the Flamers we have a slim chance but a chance to keep the story going. I feel if we lose tonight it's over, game set match.

Win tonight and somehow the belief will still be there, that the Sens played us hard but we can compete. We lose hard and bad it just will show we won't be going down the yellow brick road anymore cause we don't have a heart. I hope we win, I hope we compete... if we can it shows the team as a whole is fighting to keep the dream alive, alas I see us folding like a pair of 7's off suited in Texas hold'em and I wish us all a better year next.
Lol

IslandBeast

Apr 19, 2015
V.I
MacEwen wouldve been ideal for that reason.

and I dont get this garbage whining from some users here complaining against people that are upset about Edler getting punched multiple times when he has already paid his due with that suspension and so there should be no reason he should be put in that position.

Its about standing up for a well respected non-fighting physical leader of the team who has been here for all of his career and this was his first fight. Props to Edler for not backing down but shame on the rest.

Edler is generally not dirty and a class act through his whole life. One of the Canucks players like Myers shouldve clocked Simmonds after that shit he pulled.

This team is just as soft if not softer than it was before Benning got here.

The culture the Sedins left us and passed on down to Bo and the family-friendly culture of the organization in general. It's a soft, losers culture.

We just sit there and take it, nobody cares about winning around here it's all about being the nice guy and looking good in the community....and they aren't even good at doing that

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
The Leafs held serve after getting embarrassed in VanCity last weekend.

They disrespected the Canucks by resting half their blueline and still won going away. Next game those guys will likely be back....so we could be looking at a Saturday Night Massacre for the Canucks.
Disrespected..?..what garbage..when a team is cooled out and in the playoffs..It’s not unusual to rest banged up players,or players that can use a break..The Canucks used to do the exact same thing.
Why didn’t the Leafs rest half their blue line a week and a half ago..?

Last edited:
Reactions: Indiana and nucks88

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
This team is more f***ed going into next year than is visible on the surface.
Absolutely. Eichel and McDavid were drafted in 2015 and there were rumors about their unhappiness starting circa 2018-2019ish?

It’s Petey’s d+5 next season. They need to make a step next season and not one that takes them from 25th to 18th.. they need to be a top ten team with some semblance of sustainability

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver
giphy.gif

Are any of us really suprised? Group looks absolutely gassed

Reactions: Indiana

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Well that was pretty much awful. Team's got zero energy between coming off covid and the condensed schedule. Total snoozer. Two teams in entirely different leagues; shots and goals nowhere near indicative of the overall play.

Thoughts:

--Miller is clearly the best player on the team right now.

--Hughes is still comically inept in his own zone.

--Chatfield just played the best game I've ever seen from him...and it still wasn't much to write home about.

--Kudos to Edler for taking his lumps and doing his best to fight. f*** you to the entire rest of the team for watching a non-fighter do that and sit on their hands.

--New guys continue to exist. Likewise Pearson, Sutter, and the rest of the amorphous blob that was the Canucks tonight. Errors in process were everywhere. Turnovers all over the ice. Leafs blowing by checks like they're not even there.

--Holtby sucks.

--Don't even really know why they bothered to put Lind out there. I mean sure, why not, but I doubt you'll find out much about him at this stage. All I really noticed is that he's got a mustache that really says: "Man, I wish I could grow facial hair."

Bad team badly coached and badly managed. This is a recording.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I can accept Covid as an overall excuse on a back to back type situation for some players. But it didn’t hit all of them and this is a disaster roster top to bottom. Either they get Vezina goaltending a pop a couple PP goals and have a chance to win or they don’t and they lose.

Covid is simply highlighting the issues already present. The worst 5-on-5 team by chance share going into the covid break simply looks worse. So covid is an excuse and it really isn’t.

No doubt some are struggling. Hughes seemed to have been hit hard by it and he’s clearly struggling...look at how many times he stumbled last night making simple turns. This guy has some of the best edges in the league and he’s stumbling on a pivot while not under pressure. Boeser is struggling to get back to form.

That’s when it starts to boil down to coaching and depth. A coaching staff who seemingly has issues resting players. A management team that hasn’t provided depth and is at the cap so that the taxi squad can’t be used to its fullest.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Disrespected..?..what garbage..when a team is cooled out and in the playoffs..It’s not unusual to rest banged up players,or players that can use a break..The Canucks used to do the exact same thing.
Why didn’t the Leafs rest half their blue line a week and a half ago..?

Agreed. It wasn’t disrespect. It was a team that clinched starting to get the taxi squad into games so they are ready for playoffs.

That’s simply smart coaching and management. Heck not even smart...just what you’d expect from a decently competent organization.

Reactions: Indiana

RussianRacket

He/Him/His Pronouns
Dec 29, 2019
Coast Salish Unceded Territory
The Edler/Simmons thing was a travesty and a team with any gumption would not let their best veteran and respected warrior like Alex Edler, be treated like that.

That game should have turned into a circus as the Leafs seemed to want it to.

This team is coached without soul. It is captained without soul. The players do not stick up for each other.

Think a Chara or O'Reilly would just let it slide? Don't even have to look that far- what about a Bieksa like leader?

You want code, cowardly Leafs, get the code right back at you.

Frustrating game, but not because of the scoreboard.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Lind 17 plus minutes and moved up
Jake 13 minutes and demoted

Lind already better than Jake in the coach’s view.

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
What on earth does this org see in Jalen Chatfield? It’s mind numbing.

You know I asked that same question after watching him run around in Utica for the first several months. After that he seemed to be hurt a lot and the continuity was missing. How anyone can accept him as a competent NHL defender is beyond me.

He'll make a good play every now and then like the 2 on 1 he broke up last night, but it won't take long before you forget after his next couple of blunders.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
The Edler/Simmons thing was a travesty and a team with any gumption would not let their best veteran and respected warrior like Alex Edler, be treated like that.

That game should have turned into a circus as the Leafs seemed to want it to.

This team is coached without soul. It is captained without soul. The players do not stick up for each other.

Think a Chara or O'Reilly would just let it slide? Don't even have to look that far- what about a Bieksa like leader?

You want code, cowardly Leafs, get the code right back at you.

Frustrating game, but not because of the scoreboard.

Look at the context of the game. The team is coming off COVID and is on a crazy schedule, and is all but eliminated from the playoffs. But sure, poor leadership and failure to ReSpEcT tHe CoDe. Anyone who puts much emphasis on "fighting" (if you can call the Edler-Simmonds altercation a "fight") in a game like this are amusing. It's a non-factor and the Canucks lost because their roster is much worse than the Leafs, plain and simple.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017

The way to deal with it is to return the favour by having Canucks' best fighter pound on a less able Leaf the next time that one of them does anything untoward.

Reactions: sting101

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
I don't know these guys personally but my colleague had it and has gone from training and being able to do 25km+ runs to barely 5km on a good day.

Like i said earlier, this is a legitimate excuse. it just sucks that all will be forgiven for the season precovid.

They were two games below .500 before they were shut down due to the outbreak. I don't see how or why it will provide forgiveness for what preceded; one has nothing to do with the other.

Reactions: tantalum

Bad Goalie

Jan 2, 2014
Absolutely. Eichel and McDavid were drafted in 2015 and there were rumors about their unhappiness starting circa 2018-2019ish?

It’s Petey’s d+5 next season. They need to make a step next season and not one that takes them from 25th to 18th.. they need to be a top ten team with some semblance of sustainability

Come on Peen you know that can't happen with the lineup they will ice. They will be fighting for a playoff spot somewhere down the stretch again and don't be surprised if they don't make it.
Aqua will still be the secret President.
Benning will still be the GM .
It looks like Travis will still be the coach.
The majority of the bad contracts will still be eating huge chunks of the cap.
Ferland and Luongo will still be on the books.
Hughes, Petey, and Demko will add much more to the cap and 2 aren't even signed yet.
9 current players will be RFAs not counting Hughes and Petey.
10 will be UFAs.
You have no idea which of the RFAs and UFAs Benning will deem necessary and sign to more goofy deals. Count on Sutter to be the first.
He's going to have to rid the roster of some in order to keep others.
Who will he deem on the market as necessary upgrades (that tun out not to be such) and how will he pay for them and then how much will he sign them for.

You know they will be cap strapped once again and have to add players to replace who he lets get away and they will have to be low salary players. Look at the plethora of low pay players he has signed to date.

A top 10 is out of the question. Benning himself has said the Canucks won't be able to compete for 2 more seasons and who does he have to blame for that?
You think he can undo all of this crap in 2 seasons? Or will he just recreate the same crap with a new list of acquisitions?
If he is the one to put together the contender how can anyone think it will be different?
I see him getting another top 10 selection this season and it may be a good one and "the Benning is a great drafter" crowd will surface again at the selection the league gave him once again for having sunk his team to the league depths once again.
You will get to see him tromp down the same path once again dragging all of the Kool-Aid drinkers along with him once again.

I've probably left a few things out too. Being a Canucks fan is like being a person with a police radio who chases after fatal accidents to get a look at the gore and then gets sick when they see it.

Reactions: Peen
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad