Post-Game Talk: GM 43 | Sens def. Canucks - 6-3 (Myers, Virtanen, Sutter)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Green is a petulant baby who throws a tantrum every time he is asked a completely reasonable slightly tough question, despite generally getting the softest media treatment of any coach in the NHL.
I definitely agree with this, he would get absolutely eaten apart in Montreal.

We have such light questions compared to most markets

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Love it.

hope the team continues to lose on out.

Has nothing to do with the players and everything to do with ownership, management and the coaching staff.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I definitely agree with this, he would get absolutely eaten apart in Montreal.

We have such light questions compared to most markets

1963_Topps_Al_MacNeil.jpg

Ask THAT guy how tough it was to coach for the Montreal Canadians.:laugh:

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
The fact that they are stilling “trying” to win sums up this organization.

Literally Jim Carey from Dumb and Dumber.

The only focus should be on player health and safety along with giving the kids a run out to evaluate them going into next year.

But hey, they’ve flown by the seat of their pants so far so why change right?

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
1) You're listing guys that can skate vs. guys who are absolute slugs struggling to skate at the AHL level. If we had a Noah Gregor in our system I'd be happy to see him getting minutes. Juolevi has looked decent and should have been getting minutes all year - this is a comparable player to the names you're listing.

2) Hawryluk has actually been really decent here. Skates well, responsible defensively, generally quietly doing a good job.

3) A guy like Roussel or Beagle, even if marginally better than some of our recent acquisitions, makes our team worse because of the opportunity cost of his crap contract. People need to move on from 1995. It isn't about getting the best players, it's about getting the best value relative to contract. And the biggest asset any 4th liner can have is that he's cheap. If you have a guy like Hawryluk who can saw off 4th line minutes at $700k that's a far better asset than a 'good' 4th liner at $2 million.
We just need to ice the best hockey players. Once Lind plays a single NHL game, then we can discuss if he's quick enough for the game. That's just my opinion, I'm sure you wouldn't mind seeing him in for a game. Play Kole with Horvat and Motte if his skating is terrible. Edler's skating doesn't stop him from playing.

I'm not trying to argue which contract is better for the 4th line. But, it's worth pointing out that it's not easy to find a better hockey player than Sutter for cheap.

How are supposed to get better if we don't re-sign Sutter (best bottom 6 player), bring back Hawryluk/MacEwen/Highmore, and deny Lind/Gadjovich an opportunity? Sign more 700k players isn't making us better.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
7 minutes and 45 seconds left in the game

and this organization is pulling the goalie against a last place team while 12 points out of a playoff spot

what a time to be alive

Reactions: LickTheEnvelope

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
We just need to ice the best hockey players. Once Lind plays a single NHL game, then we can discuss if he's quick enough for the game. That's just my opinion, I'm sure you wouldn't mind seeing him in for a game. Play Kole with Horvat and Motte if his skating is terrible. Edler's skating doesn't stop him from playing.

I'm not trying to argue which contract is better for the 4th line. But, it's worth pointing out that it's not easy to find a better hockey player than Sutter for cheap.

How are supposed to get better if we don't re-sign Sutter (best bottom 6 player), bring back Hawryluk/MacEwen/Highmore, and deny Lind/Gadjovich an opportunity? Sign more 700k players isn't making us better.
Benning's contract negotiating skills are well...:eek:

Get North

Aug 25, 2013
B.C.
Benning's contract negotiating skills are well...:eek:
Sutter's current caphit has nothing to do with what he can get in free agency. I'd rather give Brassard/Stepan a contract since Beagle is coming back, but Sutter is a valuable commodity to playoff teams.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC

The only focus should be on player health and safety along with giving the kids a run out to evaluate them going into next year.

Aquaman needs the money.

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
From an underlying numbers standpoint.
YUCK.
Virtanen with his 9 minutes of ice time gets 1st for the canucks
7 Ottawa players, then 9 minute virtanen, then another 6 ottawa players

gamescore_card.png

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Green has had an awful year but his GM set him up for failure with a pissed off and depleted roster.

Frankly seeing him with any emotion is good given how soft and gracious this team has been as losers this year. His acceptance is part to blame and his inability to light a fire in some of these players has been a colossal failure.

Virtanen Juolevi and MacEwen should have been useful. He was so quick to crush them they have to be done with Travis and are pretty much in the just need a fresh start category. You can see what that has done for a player like Sam Bennett and others around the league.

The start of the year was brutal. No one knew what the hell they were doing and this persisted for way too long when some adjustments could have lowered the pressure on the GK and D.

The 1st unit PP slogging through 1 1/2 minutes has been a failure and is a massive disrespect to the 2nd tier scorers on the team. We've honestly looked like the greedy Leafs of a couple years ago where the soldiers of that team were completely brushed off from any opportunity to contribute and they didn't. That team looked more talented but disjointed just as we have

Lots of things have gone wrong but at the end of the day players coaches and managers are paid to perform. It's been a year of failure and that should be reflected in change

Reactions: VibinCanuck and PM

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site

Also getting a strong impression that there's no thought towards winning the war but just always looking at how to best win the next battle/game. Ottawa is a perfect contrast here playing lots of untested kids in key roles taking their lumps early in the season, and with today's win have now jumped past the Canucks in the standings.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Maybe we can work out some sort of deal where we send our entire franchise, management and ownership included, to Seattle and Vancouver gets the expansion draft instead.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I would bench Miller for the period. Green doesn't have any testicles
People who think Miller is better at center piss me off lmao

he does this shit when he’s playing well

he doesn’t have discipline/focus/effort in his own end and if his name was millerov, he wouldn’t have been tried at center even with these injuries.

You can live with his mistakes on the wing.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I see this board's petulance knows no bounds.

This game was depressing and frustrating.

Guess what, our team had 19 guys with Covid who are now being asked to play a schedule that would ruin just about any healthy team.

We are without our best player and have been for close to half of the year.

Is it depressing that we are probably better without Roussel, Beagle, and Eriksson in the lineup? Yup, it's frustrating and a bad sign.

But all of the crap about "I bet they're just doing X", or "Green is such a bad coach because he doesn't tell the world his gameplan in the media" is just incoherent nonsense.

I was maintaining hope until today because being a fan of sports is like the once chance life provides for adults to have unrealistic, childish hopes. But this isn't our year. It just isn't.

Also, it's telling that every f***ing media figure or executive that you hear speak on Green says that he is a hell of a coach with a great reputation amongst the players and around the league.

But I'm sure that everyone here, who probably only watch Canucks games and likely often are only half watching...yeah, you all know better than everyone else. As the Dunning-Kruger alarm blares in the distance.
good post.

Way to step up.

it's been a tough year top to bottom. Still a lot of mistakes and failures that could have been avoided and need to be answered for.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad